Renewing British Passport.....can I Use Existing One?

In practise, if the passport is cancelled electronically you should not have a problem continuing to use it for travel to other countries, but if you try use it to enter the UK it will be flagged on the Immigration computer systems and it will be siezed and destroyed,

This is what I am thinking also, I will be travelling only to Thailand and back. The border I will be using is, shall we say, very relaxed.

Normally you have to submit your old passport when applying for a new one. Dispensation is given for those living in Thailand because of the Thai requirement that foreigners should carry their passport at all times, or produce it if requested.

If you live in Laos, the first thing you need to check is if the same dispensation applies. If not, you must send your passport or your application will be rejected and you will loose the fee.

If the dispensation applies to applicants living in Laos, then you can apply with a copy of your passport only. You must supply an uptodate photograph that has been signed by someone suitably qualified to confirm its you.

The guidance notes say that your old passport will be cancelled once the application is received and actioned. So you cannot use it to travel - it has been cancelled. You can take a chance if you want, but the risk will be yours.

I applied for a new passport middle last year as all pages full on my existing passport, which still had several years before expiry. From when I sent the application to receipt of new passport was exactly 2 weeks.

The UK, as far as I can remember, as never used the " additional extra pages option" for full passports with future expiry dates. The cost of a new passport for expats is considerably higher than if you apply in the UK, even before adding the courier costs. But, that's how it is and no doubt will be.

There is an expectation that people can think and plan these things in advance. But, if you have an urgent need to travel whilst waiting the arrival of the new passport, you can get an emergency travel document from the embassy.

The dispensation does apply to Laos, same as Thailand.

The 2 weeks time-frame is promising and gives me some hope. On their website they claim 4 weeks minimum.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@evadgib post #19

1, So you are saying that the passport will not be cancelled until I physically cut the corners?

2, I don't understand the 1000 mile trip comment.

3, Just from conversations with my colleagues here from America, France, Belgium, Sweden, Canada all free renewal passports or extra pages added to existing passports.

1. No! Cutting the corners prevents you experiencing any problems later.

2. Typical distance from home to the Embassy to apply in person.

3. I am not aware of any Embassy that dispenses free passports or pages, except perhaps for Brits born on or before 01 Sep 1929.

From your posts it seems you haven't grasped the difference between the Home Office & the FCO. The Identity and Passport Service (IPS) comes under the former which is why the latter can only direct enquirers to the (as yet unready) web links. It's a bit like calling London Fire & Rescue Service to report a burgulary instead of calling the Met:)

I don't really want to know the difference between the Home office and the IPS. How is this relevant?

Why do you feel the need to flame? Still don't see the relevance of the 1000 mile thing you are on about.

@Lovelaos #32:

If you haven't grasped the difference between flame & banter it's no wonder the remainder went over your head. I'm off to Burger King to see if I can find a Big Mac:)

Edited by evadgib

@Lovelaos #32:

If you haven't grasped the difference between flame & banter it's no wonder the remainder went over your head. I'm off to Burger King to see if I can find a Big Mac:)

Apologies if I have come across as a bit of a nob.

It really does wind me up how these civil servants refuse to answer a simple email to a simple question which is not available on their government website.

Anyway, enjoy your pizza wink.png

• Like 1

i had the same thing last year with my passport .... 1 year but run out of pages ...... but really no problem from start to finish it only took 2 weeks and i recevied my new passport from .. d.h.l .......

mind you just a thought but wouldn't it be better if the thai goverment gave expats living here with thai wifes ..... kind of plastice id card ......like thai family cards ..... dont know about you but i get rather borede with filling in forms and photos .......

mind you that would be all to easy for the thai's ..... crazy about filling in forms and ..... john bull ..... rubber stamps .............

I recently asked just this question of someone at the UK Embassy in Bangkok. Answer:

- you can use your old passport for 7 days after sending request for new passport. After 7 days the old number is cancelled. (Whether that fact reaches immigration services in other countries is hard to know - but obviously there is a big risk there in "testing" that guidance).

- if you really need to travel the UK Embassy in Bangkok will issue an emergency travel document, on the same day if you go with ticket, photo and old passport. That is valid for travel to 5 consecutive countries - but is canceled once you return to Bangkok.

Good luck.

I recently asked just this question of someone at the UK Embassy in Bangkok. Answer:

- you can use your old passport for 7 days after sending request for new passport. After 7 days the old number is cancelled. (Whether that fact reaches immigration services in other countries is hard to know - but obviously there is a big risk there in "testing" that guidance).

- if you really need to travel the UK Embassy in Bangkok will issue an emergency travel document, on the same day if you go with ticket, photo and old passport. That is valid for travel to 5 consecutive countries - but is canceled once you return to Bangkok.

Good luck.

Thanks for the info.

Good luck.

And you have to PAY for it.

I don't know what happens in Laos with regards to transferring a current visa for that country from your old Brit passport to your new one, but in Thailand this cannot be done at Immigration as that service does not issue visas. In Thailand you have to keep both Brit passports together when leaving and entering Thailand, they can see your current visa in your old passport and place current exit and entry stamps into your new passport. The clearly ceases when you apply for a new annual visa which is then put into your new Brit passport. As for crossing a border when your application for a new passport is in process and your old passport may be cancelled at any time, I would not tempt fate. Once you have received your new Birt passport you must then realise that your Thai driving licence and other Thai documents that show your old Brit passport number must be changed to reflect your new position. Of course, this updating of Thai documentation cannot be undertaken UNTIL you have a valid annual visa for Thailand in your new Brit passport.

Yes same procedure in Laos regarding the visa and carrying the old passport until visa expires.

I really do have to travel as I have an important doctors appointment in Bkk which can't be postponed. I did allow 4 weeks to apply for the new passport but 2.5 weeks later, still no word.

If I don't receive the new passport I will seriously consider travelling on the existing one and see what happens.

I applied for a new passport from FCO HK 2 weeks before a 60-day visa was about to expire, i completed the paperwork, included my old passport, prepaid the return with DHL and it was returned within 10 days of dispatch.

The corner on the old passport was clipped in HK when the new one was issued, I tried to leave from Padang Bezar on this clipped passport and was sent to the immigration boss at the border. He questioned me, why I hadnt got the passport from the British embassy in BKK, and after checking the new passport thoroughly, he transfered my 60-day that was just expiring that day into my new passport ( for free ), he then checked the new passport again, couldnt work out the HK connection and after an hour, when he was satisfied that it wasnt a fake, he completed the regular departure procedure.

This took the whole first page of the passport.

I entered Malaysia, on the new passport and arrived back into Thailand on a 2 week Visa-on-arrival, where the entry staff scrutinised the first page that the immigration boss had just stamped.

I had the feeling that i could have done this at my local immigration before arriving at the border, which is Hat Yai, but i like to avoid HY immigration if at all possible. The whole hour spent with the boss was pretty painless, but it seems they find it hard to accept that you can receive a new passport via the post from HK.

I would presume this to be just as easy when departing from Laos, but i cant understand, unless i read your post wrong, why you would currently be holding your old passport .. shouldnt you have sent this as proof when you applied for the new passport ? which might explain the delay.

I applied for a new passport from FCO HK 2 weeks before a 60-day visa was about to expire, i completed the paperwork, included my old passport, prepaid the return with DHL and it was returned within 10 days of dispatch.

The corner on the old passport was clipped in HK when the new one was issued, I tried to leave from Padang Bezar on this clipped passport and was sent to the immigration boss at the border. He questioned me, why I hadnt got the passport from the British embassy in BKK, and after checking the new passport thoroughly, he transfered my 60-day that was just expiring that day into my new passport ( for free ), he then checked the new passport again, couldnt work out the HK connection and after an hour, when he was satisfied that it wasnt a fake, he completed the regular departure procedure.

This took the whole first page of the passport.

I entered Malaysia, on the new passport and arrived back into Thailand on a 2 week Visa-on-arrival, where the entry staff scrutinised the first page that the immigration boss had just stamped.

I had the feeling that i could have done this at my local immigration before arriving at the border, which is Hat Yai, but i like to avoid HY immigration if at all possible. The whole hour spent with the boss was pretty painless, but it seems they find it hard to accept that you can receive a new passport via the post from HK.

I would presume this to be just as easy when departing from Laos, but i cant understand, unless i read your post wrong, why you would currently be holding your old passport .. shouldnt you have sent this as proof when you applied for the new passport ? which might explain the delay.

Presume that was some time ago as HK do not issue new passports, they only handle applications, and specifically we are told NOT to send the old passport with the application.

I see .. the FCO process has been updated, you no longer need to send your old passport, just a photocopy of the relevant page. Im amazed it has become such an easy process.

In my case, to save the scrutiny from the immigration boss, I would attempt to leave on my old passport and enter to the next on my new passport, aslong as there is valid exit stamp from your last port of departure ( your old passport ) then there should be no comeback.

If you did cause a flag when departing with your old passport, then it could be simply excused as a mistake on your part and presumably the border staff would proceed by transferring your old visa over to the new passport.

ETS : @upnotover .. over 2 years ago, but also my bad, a renewal of a full passport not a new passport.

Edited by recom273

Yes you can do this. I did exactly the same thing a couple of years ago. I believe your passport is technically still valid up until it expires or you surrendder or destroy it.

If the embassy there is anything like the British embassy here they're completely useless and best avoided.

I thought I was told that I should destroy the old passport... and it would be electronically cancelled. That might be problematic if you used the old one some time after receiving the replacement. Interesting to hear that Laos employs a similar method to that for Thai residents.

@evadgib post #19

1, So you are saying that the passport will not be cancelled until I physically cut the corners?

3, Just from conversations with my colleagues here from America, France, Belgium, Sweden, Canada all free renewal passports or extra pages added to existing passports.

US renewals are not free.

@evadgib post #19

US renewals are not free.

When a US passport needs more pages added because the passport is full, is it not a free service provided by the US embassy in Thailand?

It is in Vientiane.

EDIT: It used to be a free service. Now it is $82.

http://laos.usembassy.gov/passport/additional-pages2.html

Edited by lovelaos

I don't know what happens in Laos with regards to transferring a current visa for that country from your old Brit passport to your new one, but in Thailand this cannot be done at Immigration as that service does not issue visas. In Thailand you have to keep both Brit passports together when leaving and entering Thailand, they can see your current visa in your old passport and place current exit and entry stamps into your new passport. The clearly ceases when you apply for a new annual visa which is then put into your new Brit passport. As for crossing a border when your application for a new passport is in process and your old passport may be cancelled at any time, I would not tempt fate. Once you have received your new Birt passport you must then realise that your Thai driving licence and other Thai documents that show your old Brit passport number must be changed to reflect your new position. Of course, this updating of Thai documentation cannot be undertaken UNTIL you have a valid annual visa for Thailand in your new Brit passport.

The "transfer stamp" template is available as a download. It's a free of charge service available at your local imm office.

http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/en/base.php?page=download

Edited by evadgib

I haven't seen the following in this thread. But those people about to renew passports should be aware of requirements regarding the standard of photo's to be submitted.

Full details on app. form etc.

Hong Kong in particular will reject if not to the required standard.

I also have a question about this. Will need to renew my UK passport soon and I see HK only accepts payment from visa or mastercard, some kind of form you have to fill in. Will they accept a Thai bank card (very basic one)? I have had problems using my Thai card before, when travelling abroad.

@hobnob, I am hoping so, I sent an application off last week using my Thai debit card, I seem to recall somebody before saying they used theirs.

The application was delivered on Friday, my account hasn't been debited yet, I will let you know if and when it is.

As an aside, I have never encountered a problem using my Thai debit or credit card overseas. Actually I did once when a cashier in the UK wasn't programmed to understand that not all countries in the world have chip and pin.

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

@hobnob, I am hoping so, I sent an application off last week using my Thai debit card, I seem to recall somebody before saying they used theirs.

The application was delivered on Friday, my account hasn't been debited yet, I will let you know if and when it is.

Well I now have an answer, it seems a regular Debit Card cannot be used.

I received an email from HKG advising that my transaction was declined.

I called Kasikorn who, eventually, advised me that the transaction was declined yesterday even though there were sufficient funds, the member of staff advised that the fault was with HKG but added if I increased my daily limit it would go through next time, she transferred me to the relevant department, who cut me off.

I called back and spoke to a guy this time, he said Debit Cards, even though registered for online use, couldn't be used this way.

He advised that my web based shopping card would work, have sent a further authorisation, will now have to wait and see.

Why is nothing simple anymore?

Well I now have an answer, it seems a regular Debit Card cannot be used.

I received an email from HKG advising that my transaction was declined.

I called Kasikorn who, eventually, advised me that the transaction was declined yesterday even though there were sufficient funds, the member of staff advised that the fault was with HKG but added if I increased my daily limit it would go through next time, she transferred me to the relevant department, who cut me off.

I called back and spoke to a guy this time, he said Debit Cards, even though registered for online use, couldn't be used this way.

He advised that my web based shopping card would work, have sent a further authorisation, will now have to wait and see.

Why is nothing simple anymore?

Things are simple, if you are NOT British. bah.gif

Lovelaos, from reading OG's posts it seems that the fault lies with his bank, not with the passport office.

Correct, OG?

Yes I realise that. But, my point is, most countries don't ask their citizens to go through the red tape that us Brits have to go through for a simple task like adding extra pages to our passports. For Americans the whole process takes an hour.

Yes 7by7 in this scenario it is, but if they hadn't moved the checking process to HKG I could have paid my fee at the Embassy.

If they had achieved their original targets of either completing the complete process online or at least offering the proposed payment facility online, then my card would have worked.

If they accepted Amex then I could have made the transaction.

So yes it's my bank that will not allow me to do the transaction, but it's the UKPA that made it difficult.

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

Points taken, lovelaos and OG.

Don't know if things have changed as this was a few years ago, but when my step daughter renewed her Thai passport at the RTE in London the procedure seemed straightforward; but wasn't.

Not possible to make an appointment, so turn up and join queue.

When office opens, take a number. (This is the same office that visa applicant's have to use; it's in the basement, very small and very crowded!)

When number called, go to counter and collect form; take another number.

Fill in form, wait for number to be called again.

At about 1:00pm an official announced "We're closing for lunch. Numbers X and below come back at 2, everyone else come back tomorrow!"

Fortunately my step daughter was number X!

Once her number was called again, they took her photo etc., collected form and fee and we went home.

Everything, including her old passport, was sent to Bangkok and her new passport arrived about 2 weeks later.

Edited by 7by7

What a bloody nuisance all this is.

So, to summarize.....It takes a minimum 4 weeks to process (or 2 weeks)

The existing passport is cancelled upon receipt of application (or mabye not)

They accept Visa or Mastercard (except Thai issued debit cards)

They will only pigheadedly answer emails or give a tracking number if the new passport is over 4 weeks late (if at all)

Happy St Georges Day. I'm so proud to be English bah.gif

• Like 1

Although still over a year to run on our UK/EU passports I sent then off about 10 days ago and noticed that my cheque for 145 quid was cashed on Friday and old (wife also ) arrived on Saturday morning with corners cut so hopefully the new ones in post.

PP office say that they will add 9 months on if surrendered earlier than said time and now with IRIS gone from immigration recon time for new "chipped edition" for future jollies.

Anything to make travel easier.(now on no 9)

10 minutes after I posted above a guy knocked the front door with.."your new passports Sir" best wishes...cant be bad personal delivery service....now we are OK until 2024...wots it gonna be like then.....pub time