Should We Learn The Language?

yourauntbob

Just invested alot of time and effort and money into learning thai.

Some days I win, some days I loose and want to pack it all up and spit my dummy.

But the doors are opening and it's pretty exciting like I've unlocked a code once thought impossible.

And as an added bonus I've discovered there's heaps of freebies, promotion s and discounts available at supermarkets and shopping centres.

Just by being able to read a little thai.

So true.

At times its mundane, boring, repetitive and frustrating.

But its all worth it, especially the reading, sue neung tem neung etc.

Its not so much minding your P's and Q's, more your I's and E's, then we move on to your mans and meungs.

Hang on in there, well worth it.

• Replies 445
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Which Thai language will you learn?

Southern, Issan, Central or Lanna?

City or village or Hill-tribe?

Chances of your loved one or her family speaking Central Thai as a first language are practically zero.

Speaking some backwoods dialect will do you no good at all in any city or other area of the country.

You end up learning central Thai, and all her relatives chat away with each other in another dialect that you still can't speak or understand.

I think I'll go for Lisu and Aka!

To integrate into the community you need to be Thai. Learning the language is not relevant to that concept.

Learning Thai has other advantages when outside the main tourist areas, but it also has many disadvantages.

It won't stop them calling you the "f" word either.

What disadvantages? I somehow have been unaware of them for decades and only noticed the huge life-changing advantages...

• Like 2

All depends on the reasons why you here and what you doing.

If one comes here to do business, absolutely must.

If one is retired and married, it may not be as necessary, though sure would not hurt

I must say though, in my opinion ONLY, putting aside that Thai is a very difficult language, Thai are not too eager to teach the language.

There are thousands of people who learned English as a second language and can speak it pretty fluently, while there are very few who managed to learn Thai fluently(not in their opinion , but Thai opinion)

In my experience the only Thais who are reluctant to help you learn Thai are people who do NOT always have your best interests at heart - there's only one reason they don't want you to speak Thai (so any woman that balks at it, for example, is not someone I'd be with).

There are millions who have learned English. Many thousands who have learned Thai. Obviously there's vast difference in prevalence of the respective languages and the number of people wanting to learn them. As for degree of fluency, I doubt you (or I, or anyone else) could possibly know how many non Thais have achieved fluency in Thai but the fact is that MANY foreigners in Thailand never even give it much of an effort.

Chances of your loved one or her family speaking Central Thai as a first language are practically zero.

Speaking some backwoods dialect will do you no good at all in any city or other area of the country.

You end up learning central Thai, and all her relatives chat away with each other in another dialect that you still can't speak or understand.

Ridiculous. Most Thais speak Central Thai regardless of where they live.

• Like 2

If one is retired and married, it may not be as necessary, though sure would not hurt

I must say though, in my opinion ONLY, putting aside that Thai is a very difficult language, Thai are not too eager to teach the language.

There are thousands of people who learned English as a second language and can speak it pretty fluently, while there are very few who managed to learn Thai fluently(not in their opinion , but Thai opinion)

In my experience the only Thais who are reluctant to help you learn Thai are people who do NOT always have your best interests at heart - there's only one reason they don't want you to speak Thai (so any woman that balks at it, for example, is not someone I'd be with).

There are millions who have learned English. Many thousands who have learned Thai. Obviously there's vast difference in prevalence of the respective languages and the number of people wanting to learn them. As for degree of fluency, I doubt you (or I, or anyone else) could possibly know how many non Thais have achieved fluency in Thai but the fact is that MANY foreigners in Thailand never even give it much of an effort.

All valid points, however it is not only some people who do not want you to learn, it is also the schools who can not teach due to not knowing the rules and structure of the language.

Many times asking the teacher to explain or give the rule with no success and answer usually is, "this is how it is"

Also keep in mind the different "level" of Thai, ie street, educated and high( not sure if those are the correct words to use) but hope i am making sense.

Very often when i speak with a taxi driver he does not understand a word i say, but when i speak to a lawyer or doctor, they do.(using the same words)

Just as initially i spoke bar Thai, which was acceptable by taxi drivers, but got dirty looks from everyone else.

One thing for sure, it is not an easy language to learn

• Like 1

Ridiculous. Most Thais speak Central Thai regardless of where they live.

Most Thais CAN speak Central Thai, kenwhitameenanatjimmy?

SC

• Like 1

Thai are not too eager to teach the language.

Sorry, my experience is totally different from yours.

Thais are more than happy to teach and correct my attempts at the language, just the other night we had a discussion of the word, jeut, for plain or not mai aroy.

Every day is a learning experience for me, and I am more than thankful for the Thais in the village for helping and aiding me in my efforts.

Thais are more than happy to teach and correct my attempts at the language, just the other night we had a discussion of the word, jeut, for plain or not mai aroy.

Every day is a learning experience for me, and I am more than thankful for the Thais in the village for helping and aiding me in my efforts.

and what was the discussion about?

Because of the wonky quote function, I can't figure who you are replying to but let me make it clear:

I don't think Thais are generally reluctant to teach or help - if that were so, I'd probably not be here now; it's largely because of the experience I had 31 years ago during my first year here that ultimately has led me living here for over 20 years. And that experience would NOT have even been close to what it was, had I not learned as much Thai as I did then - all of it with some help from Thais.

and what was the discussion about?

The discussion was about the verb length of the word jeut, plus the tone.

Everyone in the conversation knew what was being spoken about, however due to the Thai rote learning system no one could explain it.

Because of the wonky quote function, I can't figure who you are replying to but let me make it clear:

I don't think Thais are generally reluctant to teach or help - if that were so, I'd probably not be here now; it's largely because of the experience I had 31 years ago during my first year here that ultimately has led me living here for over 20 years. And that experience would NOT have even been close to what it was, had I not learned as much Thai as I did then - all of it with some help from Thais.

SJ, agree with you ref the shonky quote system, have mentioned it more than once, will mention it again, please George, get it sorted.

No wasnt replying to you.

I agree with you, where I live, the Thais are more than helpful, in fact they will go out of their way to help you.

I hold man hand up, at times its humbling.

• Like 1

During my stint of teaching English I was often obliged to say 'that's the way it is' I must admit that Thai is the most difficult language that I have come up against. I'll be content if I understand what is being discussed, I know where to go when I tank up the car, know enough to go to the male toilets,

Apart from that, everybody speaks Lao here. I don't feel capable of learning two languages in parallel at my age.

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

For a variety of reasons, learning Thai is well worth considering. Firstly, the process of learning itself is enjoyable and it forces you to train your brain regularly. Secondly, being able to speak at least basic Thai can make your social life richer and your encounters with local people more fun - even if you are a short-time tourist. And thirdly, having a good command of the language boosts your chances of finding meaningful employment in the LOS.

Edited by joorakee

During my stint of teaching English I was often obliged to say 'that's the way it is' I must admit that Thai is the most difficult language that I have come up against. I'll be content if I understand what is being discussed, I know where to go when I tank up the car, know enough to go to the male toilets,

Apart from that, everybody speaks Lao here. I don't feel capable of learning two languages in parallel at my age.

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

This really part of the problem. I have a friend in the Si Sa Ket, Surin, general area. She is a teacher with a master's degree and can read and write English well. She attempts to teach English but she really doesn't know how the words sound or how to say them well. She's getting better.

They have never had a native English teacher in their school, or at her university, and she knows of none in Si Sa Ket. (Doesn't mean there aren't some.)

So we have this conversation about Thai:

She: "We have children in our school from two villages. One village speaks Lao and the other speaks Khmer."

Me. "Wow! You know 4 languages - Khmer, Lao, Thai and English?"

She: "No. Khmer and Lao spoken here isn't same in Cambodia or Laos. Is a different."

Me: So you call it Khmer and Lao but it isn't really?

She: "Yes it is. Same. Is different. I would not be able to talk in Cambodia or Laos."

Me: (Scratches head.) "Do you understand the Thai that's used in Bangkok?"

She: "Yes, I attend university in Bangkok. Before, I don't understand."

Me: "Is your Thai Lao-Thai or Khmer-Thai or another Thai?"

She: "It is Thai."

• Like 1

i think reading is optional but most important is speaking. since quite some time i have the urge to discuss with our gardener the latest technical publications on "increasing gas turbine efficiency". i would be also very interested to hear his opinions whether "quantitative easing in combination with the financial crisis in Cyprus will break up the European Union".

that's why i have set my mind on learning Thai, no matter how many decades it will take. after all, our gardener is still a young man and most probably still alive once i master the required level.

My Thai is okay for basic conversational level. Since learning Thai it has been fascinating to discover the range of topics discussed by the Thais that I come into contact with. All of the sort of topics that you suggest Naam... Never anything mundane or repetitive at all...

• Like 1

I couldnt live here without speaking thai and I really wonder how people that dont speak manage to live here, not get frustrated or riped off all the time

i wonder how frustrated Thais get who would like to rip me off and find out that "no business and therefore rip off no can do" if they don't master a language in which i can communicate too.

• Like 1

"speaking Thai is very important!" i was told. a Farang (aka Farong, Falung, Ferang, Foleng, Furlong...) ordering his noodle soup with a street vendor using Thai gets a discount of 5 Baht. if he uses any other language, including sign language, he will pay a hefty surcharge of 5 Baht added to the base price of 25 Baht and the soup served in a bowl that was not washed in dirty water.

i was also told speaking Thai to a barber during a haircut, will cause the barber to return any generous tip, say 5 or even 10 Baht, with the remark "you keep it Khun Farang".

with all that good advice i might try today to greet my wife (after she gets up) with a thundering "gooood morning crap, Khun Mia!" notwithstanding the fact that she might answer "have you finally gone completely bonkers or do you keep some illegal booze hidden somewhere?"

I speak and read/write Thai not fluently but it was not the first Asian language that I learned -- none fluently.

That said, learning a language is a proclivity like music, math, or some sports. And some could spend good money and long hours per week and never feel comfortable speaking even rudimentary Thai. So, that many who have lived here even long-term and still cannot speak more than a few words of Thai doesn't surprise me nor do I think it is necessary for their overall well-being.

• Like 1

I couldnt live here without speaking thai and I really wonder how people that dont speak manage to live here, not get frustrated or riped off all the time

i wonder how frustrated Thais get who would like to rip me off and find out that "no business and therefore rip off no can do" if they don't master a language in which i can communicate too.

In English, we say "browned off", not "riped off", but luckily, English is a very forgiving language, and you can make yourself understood even if your pronunciation, spelling and grammar are that of a Johnny Foreigner. Chinese is not like that. I don't know about Thai.

Talking of pidgen English, has anyone seen Jake?

SC