A N Z A C Day - Thursday 25 April - Lest We Forget

David48

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Inadequate as it is, my sincere gratitude goes out to all the brave young men and women that have kept large parts of the world free, at the risk and cost of their own lives.

I can't imagine what it would be like today had they not stepped up.

Thank you.

• Like 2

Not wanting to start a Trans-Tasman conflict or anything, but is the OP aware that the NZ in ANZAC stands for New Zealand? I see no reference to the fallen soldiers of New Zealand in his posting. I for one will be remembering the fallen soldiers of both Australia and New Zealand on ANZAC day.

An oversite (and humble apology) as the posted quote, was taken from an Australian website.

Together, KIWI's and Aussies stood bravely together.

We remember them all.

Please feel free to add a NZ flavour to the thread ... it will be warmly welcomed ... thumbsup.gif

• Like 2

Yes ... and thanks for those links.

I know that the photographer guy win (something ... apologies mate) usually has something organised there or has some contacts.

To add a personal element, I would like to hear some stories of those who fought in the various wars.

Be you Australian or New Zealand ... we are brothers on this one day.

My dad (bless his soul) was actually regular Army ... a Transport Sergeant.

Saw active service in Europe, North Africa and Papua New Guinea.

Getting him to talk about it was akin to getting blood from a stone.

RIP Dad ... I'll remember you tomorrow at the Dawn Service ... wai.gif

• Like 2

Not wanting to start a Trans-Tasman conflict or anything, but is the OP aware that the NZ in ANZAC stands for New Zealand? I see no reference to the fallen soldiers of New Zealand in his posting. I for one will be remembering the fallen soldiers of both Australia and New Zealand on ANZAC day.

It is often forgotten by Australians. New Zealand also suffered a higher casualty rate than Australia

• Like 1

It's sad to think that in just a few more generations the two World Wars will be nothing but a few pages in the history books as those that were alive between those conflicts, or born as baby-boomers and Gen-X, age, and depart the world. I recall my Dad talking of his forebears that served in the Boer War and thinking that it didn't have much meaning to me at the time. I can see even in my own kids now (in their 20's) that they have no understanding of the huge sacrifices that their Grandparent's generation made in the 1940's. One more generation and perhaps ANZAC Day will just be a public holiday with very little remembrance of those that made the ultimate sacrifice.

Lest we Forget, lest we Forget.

• Like 1

It's sad to think that in just a few more generations the two World Wars will be nothing but a few pages in the history books as those that were alive between those conflicts, or born as baby-boomers and Gen-X, age, and depart the world. I recall my Dad talking of his forebears that served in the Boer War and thinking that it didn't have much meaning to me at the time. I can see even in my own kids now (in their 20's) that they have no understanding of the huge sacrifices that their Grandparent's generation made in the 1940's. One more generation and perhaps ANZAC Day will just be a public holiday with very little remembrance of those that made the ultimate sacrifice.

Lest we Forget, lest we Forget.

There are some wars that are remembered and some wars that are forgotten in Australian history.

There has been a revival of interest in WW1 within Australia and this should continue with the 100 year anniversary approaching.

Many younger Australians are now finding they have now found out they had parents, grandparents, great grandparents who served in WW1 and WW2. It was common for WW1 and WW2 veterans not to talk about their experiences. Many returning World War 1 veterans were told not to talk about it and to get on with their lives. This is one of the reasons why many of their descendants knew little about the wars or their fathers or mothers wartime experiences.

In WW1, from an Australian population of fewer than five million, 416,809 men enlisted, of which over 60,000 were killed and 156,000 wounded, gassed, or taken prisoner. (source; War memorial)

Now, thousands of Australians are making a pilgrimage to partake in the Gallipoli dawn service or just to visit the surrounds. Remembering that Gallipoli was a defeat for British (and ANZAC forces). The real 'action' was to be fought on the Western Front

The Boer War 1899-1902 (or the South African War as it is also known) is Australia's forgotten war. Around 20,00 Australians fought in the Boer War, all volunteers. They joined up primarily in local contingents within their state, with some joining overseas within England or South Africa itself.

The contingents fielded such colourful names as 'NSW Lancers', 'NSW Citizen Bushmen', 'Queensland Imperial Bushmen' '1st NSW Mounted Rifles', 'Tasmanian Mounted Infantry'.

On many war memorials within NSW country Towns you will find a list of those who served in WW1 and WW2, but not the Boer war. The Australian War memorial has incomplete records of exactly how many Australians and their names who served in the Boer War. It is indeed Australia's forgotten war.

My grandfather enlisted in WW1 and spent 3 years primarily on the Western Front. He would never speak about his service or time on the Western Front. In his mid forties, with 4 young children he attempted to enlist in WW2. He was refused.

6 of my ancestors (Great Great Uncle and brothers) went to the Boer War. 5 Brothers and one Uncle the same age as the brothers. The youngest was 16. All 6 returned alive.

Lest we Forget.

• Like 1

An oversite (and humble apology) as the posted quote, was taken from an Australian website.

We remember them all.

Please feel free to add a NZ flavour to the thread ... it will be warmly welcomed ... thumbsup.gif

Sorry mate, I wasn't having a real crack at you or looking for an apology, and I certainly have no intention of derailing this solemn and important thread that celebrates the loss of so many soldiers from both countries.

As you know, we from the Eastern State (a.k.a. New Zealand) and you Aussies rarely pass up a chance to take a shot at each other but it's nearly always in friendly rivalry and jest. Let's face it, if the Aussies and Kiwis are on the rugby paddock we'd slit each others throats for the price of yesterday's newspaper, but put us in a conflict situation and we'll defend each other like brothers. We must do a good job of confusing other nationalities - you'd be surprised how many people from places like Norway, Germany, Sweden etc., have asked me why the Aussies and Kiwis hate each other so much. It takes a bit of explaining to convince them otherwise!

I'm unable to make the dawn parade this year for only the 6th time since I was a 14 year old. But nonetheless I will be awake and saying a silent prayer.

I agree. We think of NZ as being the 7th state of Australia

• Like 2

Australian Network is broadcasting the following ANZAC services. .

09:30

Gallipoli Dawn Service 2013

2013 marks the 98th anniversary of the action by Australian, New Zealand and other Commonwealth troops at Gallipoli in 1915. Join us for the Anzac Day Dawn Service live from Gallipoli.
icon_text.png
Current Affairs
icon_reveal_default.png
10:30

Villers-Bretonneux Memorial Service 2013

Then at 1800 they have a documentary on the Bombing Of Darwin. This will be a must viewing for me.

Least We Forget

• Like 1

We remember them all.

Sorry mate, I wasn't having a real crack at you or looking for an apology, and I certainly have no intention of derailing this solemn and important thread that celebrates the loss of so many soldiers from both countries.

As you know, we from the Eastern State (a.k.a. New Zealand) and you Aussies rarely pass up a chance to take a shot at each other but it's nearly always in friendly rivalry and jest. Let's face it, if the Aussies and Kiwis are on the rugby paddock we'd slit each others throats for the price of yesterday's newspaper, but put us in a conflict situation and we'll defend each other like brothers. We must do a good job of confusing other nationalities - you'd be surprised how many people from places like Norway, Germany, Sweden etc., have asked me why the Aussies and Kiwis hate each other so much. It takes a bit of explaining to convince them otherwise!

I'm unable to make the dawn parade this year for only the 6th time since I was a 14 year old. But nonetheless I will be awake and saying a silent prayer.

I agree. We think of NZ as being the 7th state of Australia

And we Kiwis refer to Australia as a small island of our Western coast. Cheers Mate thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

Just watched the dawn service here in Auckland. Highlight today will at 2.30pm (Kiwi time) for the dawn service from Gallipoli. It is moving to see so many young Kiwi's and Aussies making the pilgrimage far from home in remembrance of our forefathers who made the same journey and gave the ultimate sacrifice for the freedom we take for granted today.

They will always be remembered...

I also have just returned from the Dawn service.

My gf joined me to pay homage ... she warmly appreciated the ceremony, the sentiment ... though is yet to grasp the significance.

It was an amazing morning and the near Full Moon added to the atmosphere.

When the Last Post was played, few dry eyes in the crowd ... certainly not mine.

The RSL MC mentioned that it was the largest service he had attended in terms of audience participation.

Nice to know that they will be remembered ... wai.gif

Edited by David48
  • Like 1