Liverpool F.c.

scousemouse

I tend to agree wiith the general view that it would not be surprising to see City and United to take a fairly sizeable lead over the others in the top 6

However I cant really see anything statistically massively surprising like say Arsenal finishing outside the top 6. Obvipusly unusual events could occur like a plane carrying the team to a match crashing and kiling the entire squad but under normal circumstances it is pretty safe to assume we will have the same top 6 as last year.

It is a long time since something as unlikely as WBA getting into the top 6 happened. If I was to predict a major surprise it would be that Everton might finish in the bottom half of the league. And I guess we could get a shock relegation like Newcastle or Aston Villa.

I tend to agree wiith the general view that it would not be surprising to see City and United to take a fairly sizeable lead over the others in the top 6

However I cant really see anything statistically massively surprising like say Arsenal finishing outside the top 6. Obvipusly unusual events could occur like a plane carrying the team to a match crashing and kiling the entire squad but under normal circumstances it is pretty safe to assume we will have the same top 6 as last year.

It is a long time since something as unlikely as WBA getting into the top 6 happened. If I was to predict a major surprise it would be that Everton might finish in the bottom half of the league. And I guess we could get a shock relegation like Newcastle or Aston Villa.

I dont look at stats!! I look at teams and how they play. Arsenal have got a shit team now, with a manager who has lost the plot!!

You want to look at a team to get relegated... Blackburn!!! Shit team... owners who dont know a football from a chickens ars, who are simply not investing in the club. On yesterdays display, it wouldnt surprise me to see Everton in bottom 6

Arsenal looked lost_smokes you may have a chance to pip them for 4th.

If we can score goals we should. Jury's out on that one tho....

that might just be the kick up the backside the Arsenal need !

imagine it, the spuds actually finishing above us in the league at the god knows how many timeth of asking. laugh.gif

imagine it, the spuds actually finishing above us in the league at the god knows how many timeth of asking. laugh.gif

Wenger gone by end of the month. wink.gif

Don't forget, i had the pleasure of watching Chelsea aswell. As far as i'm concerned theres third place up for grabs if they dont get Modric (and they won't because he's not for sale) Considering we did'nt get any points a bloody good weekend although in a perfect world i'd have preferred a draw at the Library. I've got a good feeling about monday nights game too.

I'll take Uruguay at fifties without a doubt.

Glad you are optimistic. However I cant help but remember how totally piss poor you guys were for the last 3 months of last season so we will just have to see.

Still if you go back and include the end of last season, then Arsenal do really look a mess. They have won only 2 of their last 19 premiership matches.

I do sort of agree with you about Carroll. We are beginning to run out of excuses for him. I mean a lot of Liverpool fans say that he does a lot more than you can see and he has obviously been injured a lot of the time but he cant be injured forever. And I am not questioning whether we paid too much for him because that it is actually irrelevant given that it is in the past. The question I wonder is whether he should be in the starting line up every week because to me Liverpool tend to look a better team when he is off the pitch than when he is on.

And actually what I worry about Carroll is that football loves to get into pissing matches about the price of individual players in what is inherently a team sport. So Liverpool sort of wants to prove he is a brilliant player because they paid 35m for him and their opponents want to say he is crap and Liverpool are stupid. But it is the pissing match that is stupid not the price by that I mean if you end up trying to prove that a player is brilliant when he isnt then that is stupid. As far as the price well we bought Suarez for 23m and he is worth 50m. And we spent 50m on players in the transfer window and we now have a much better side. If we overpaid for them by 10m quid in some peoples eyes it is totally meaningless in 500m quid business.

And is Arsene Wenger really going to throw away his career with his obsession over value and refusal to buy in the transfer market because players are 'too expensive' or whatever. Because it really would be incredibly stupid of him. Because he will simply be a victim of the 'fallacy of composition'. Which in normal english states that if you dont buy players because you think they are overvalued, then you dont have a team in which case your team is worthless.

"He does a lot more work than you can see." :D The pldest excuse in the book. But what does it mean. In a nutshell this translates as "he really can't be this <deleted> can he, i mean there must be something there that we're all missing?" Unfortunately theres not.

Edited by carmine

Yes ok mate, if we get Diarra and Adebayour we are probablt a better side than whats left of yours but time will tell. The power shift is well underway.

Funny thing is that you are the only one that keeps barking on about this one. ;) and its off topic.

You seem to like stats Abrak - these might give you cause for optimism.

Paul Tomkins: Yesterday, Carroll and Henderson (whose job it was to support the no.9) made 86 passes, 73 of which were successful. Against City 12 months ago, Torres and Ngog made just 39 passes, only 26 of which were successful.

http://tomkinstimes.com/2011/08/pass-move-goal-%E2%80%93-victory-over-arsenal/

I like stats but I only find them interesting if I can give them meaning.

In some respects I think we almost have too many stats in soccer or perhaps that journalists often like to quote meaning less stats simply to fill up column inches. Passing stats in individual games tend to leave me cold. For instance, against Arsenal the only player in the Liverpool side with a pass completion record below 70% during the match was Enrique (68%). Now it seems to me that Enrique was pretty much our best player on the pitch so that implies pass completion stats (certainly taken over one match) are a pretty useless indicator of anything. Even when you say it is encouraging to see the number of passes made by Carroll the argument is slightly circular on the basis that if Carroll had the ball so much of the time he certainly didnt do a very good job of looking like scoring.

The other reason that arguments over stats in individual matches is inherently circular is that if you do what Tomkins did which is compare a match we won 2-0 with a match we lost 3-0 you will tend to find that your stats are better in the one you won but that is just as likely to be down to the fact the opposition were shit in one and pretty good in the other.

Blackburn!!! Shit team... owners who dont know a football from a chickens ars, who are simply not investing in the club. On yesterdays display, it wouldnt surprise me to see Everton in bottom 6

I can assure you that Venky's - Blackburn's owner - do 'know a football from a chicken's ars', in fact they probably know it better than virtually all the other owners in league football. Almost certainly there is virtually nothing they dont know about a chicken's arse. They have been involved with chicken processing for over 40 years and have probably seen more chicken <deleted> than the UK has had hot dinners.

In fact what perhaps should worry you far more is that given how the chicken food processing industry works, there is a very good chance that you have eaten a 'chicken ars' from Venky's because you didnt know that there isnt really a difference between a chicken nugget and a chicken ars. And to be honest it wouldnt really surprise me at all if Venky's are making footballs out of 'chicken <deleted>'. The world gets through 8 billion chickens a year and Venky's are one of the largest producers.

If anything it appears it is Blackburn Rovers football team who dont know a chicken ars from a football.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sf2m96tfQW0&feature=related

Don't forget, i had the pleasure of watching Chelsea aswell. As far as i'm concerned theres third place up for grabs if they dont get Modric (and they won't because he's not for sale) Considering we did'nt get any points a bloody good weekend although in a perfect world i'd have preferred a draw at the Library. I've got a good feeling about monday nights game too.

As far as the price well we bought Suarez for 23m and he is worth 50m.

So after 15 games with the bindippers, his value has gone up by 27m, why don't you stick to facts and stats, cos you don't know what the <deleted> you are talking about when it comes to the footballing side of the game :o

As far as the price well we bought Suarez for 23m and he is worth 50m.

So after 15 games with the bindippers, his value has gone up by 27m, why don't you stick to facts and stats, cos you don't know what the <deleted> you are talking about when it comes to the footballing side of the game :o

But he seems quite well informed about chickens <deleted>!! :lol:

I see Dalgleish is interested in Surridge, which isn't a bad option........ I still think it's a pity they missed out on Young.

Gerrard's return will make a big difference - I think top four is do-able.

The rumours are linking Meireless in a swap deal for Sturridge. Certainly wouldn't mind Sturridfge coming here but not sure about loosing Meireless.

Also Aqualani now linked to AC Milan

I see Dalgleish is interested in Surridge, which isn't a bad option........ I still think it's a pity they missed out on Young.

The rumours are linking Meireless in a swap deal for Sturridge. Certainly wouldn't mind Sturridfge coming here but not sure about loosing Meireless.

I find it hard to believe that they would let Sturridge go to Liverpool. Infact i'd be amazed if they let him go at all. In their pursuit of buying success they would'nt be selling quality to their competition would they?

I find it hard to believe that they would let Sturridge go to Liverpool. Infact i'd be amazed if they let him go at all. In their pursuit of buying success they would'nt be selling quality to their competition would they?

Mind you there was/is a rumor that Man City are going to lend you lot one of their strikers and pay half of his wages that you cant afford. Now that really would be an absurd thing to do for your competition.

Thanks for that vote of confidence abrak but we are no longer competition for them. They know it and we know it. :D We cannot compete at any level from transfer fees, wages, or whatever.

Interested to know whether you lot think you are competition for them or not. Without giving me all the varients of what competition is please, because you know what i mean. Do you think realistically you could finish 2nd? I'm just bored so im sounding you out because, as i see it the squads of the big six tell me its a two horse race, with a very exciting competition for 3rd and 4th between the chasing pack.

Edited by carmine

Thanks for that vote of confidence abrak but we are no longer competition for them. They know it and we know it. :D We cannot compete at any level from transfer fees, wages, or whatever.

Interested to know whether you lot think you are competition for them or not. Without giving me all the varients of what competition is please, because you know what i mean. Do you think realistically you could finish 2nd? I'm just bored so im sounding you out because, as i see it the squads of the big six tell me its a two horse race, with a very exciting competition for 3rd and 4th between the chasing pack.

Well, to be honest I dont but if Man City offer us Tevez on loan for the year and offer to pay the balance of his wages over 90k a week it will certainly help even things up a bit. It is all a bit ominous that after just 2 games City and United are 1 and 2 in the table.

However, I dont believe in making assumptions like City are inherently doing with the loan deal. I mean bad assumptions are often fatal. While football is fairly predictable it inherently has a degree of unpredictability. So when you say that you arent really competing you mean say that the probability of beating them is as low as 5%. I cant see Ferguson offering any such favours to you. And if I was City I would try and string you along with such an offer until the last day of the window then tell you to piss off and see if that leaves you without a striker.

I also think that the point of the Sturridge/Meireles discussion is to make it clear that Sturridge is on offer as part of the Modric deal.

But back to your question - no the possibility that Liverpool will be in the top 2 hasnt really occurred to me as realistic and all I am interested in is whether we can grab a top 4 place. I am actually more concerned that 1) Chelsea will almost certainly use their spending power to change themselves from a distant 3rd to a guaranteed top 3 and 2) having to displace Arsenal from the top 4 in order to get into the top 4 is a triumph of hope over experience.

Well, he's got Torres, Drogba, Anelka et al in front of him in the pecking order and probably won't get much play time.

I think he'd be great for Liverpool.

I think you have that a bit wrong Abrak ;)

Whatever....

The fact is that there is a dichotomy in Carmine's view. Which is he believes that...

1) Chelsea need Modric to be a top team this year and...

2) Spurs will not sell him because he is 'not for sale.'

Now while this dichotomy exists then there can be clearly two different views. The fact that Carmine can claim the underlying result is entirely their decision is mitigated by the financial reality of close to infinite wealth against financial logic.

So I happen to 'believe' that acquiring Meireles is not a sufficient substitute for not acquiring Modric. And I happen to know that the marginal cost of investment is incredibly low for Abromavich while the value of money must be inherently higher for Spurs.

My point being that your comment that you 'think' is exactly equal to the fact that 'Adder' 'thinks'. Which pretty closely approximates to whether my cat thinks. Which is a very interesting question.

Well, he's got Torres, Drogba, Anelka et al in front of him in the pecking order and probably won't get much play time.

I think he'd be great for Liverpool.

He'll be great for nearly every team in the premier league but i doubt very much that Chelsea would let him go, him being 21 and Anelka and Drogba being 32 and 33.

I missed this opinion.

The difference between you and me is that I only really think that my opinion has validity if it is backed up by 'stats and facts'. So when I express an opinion of what Suarez might be worth I dont expect you to take it too seriously. I know better than you that I 'know' fuc_k all about football. If I did I would claim LFC had signed a footballer who cant run and has no first touch as their striker which would be inherently stupid so cant be true.

So you are absolutely wrong to claim I 'dont know what the fuc_k I am talking about when it comes to football' because it is actually a starting assumption that I make. So I know what I know which are facts and I know what I dont know. The question I have to ask is how you claim to know so much in the first place. I mean my view that Suarez is worth 50m is based on a wild stab at what it would cost you to buy him off Liverpool. And your view as to his inherent value which renders me knowing 'fuc_k all' is based on exactly what? (And dont even pretend to answer because I already know your response.)

Anyway we will never agree because while I admit to knowing 'fuc_k all' you claim to know 'something' and assuming you know 'something' that other people dont know is simply heroic.

Will be made up if we get Seb Coates, he was boss in the Copa America and even got youg player of the tournament award. Interestingly shares both his height and date of birth as Sammi. :-)

I heard City were intersted but the player has come out and said we are his preferred destination so that should be that. The hard part will be getting him a work permit in time for the close of the window.

Is the Exeter Liverpool V Liverpool Carling Cup game being shown on TV in Thailand?

Channel 3 and 7 are showing the Champions League qualifying round in the early hours ie.. Arsenal,so your best plan will be to use a live stream unfortunately.