Liverpool F.c.

scousemouse

Looking forward to our trip to Anfield this weekend, nothing to lose for the Canaries. I wonder if Liverpool will have an "off" day like so many teams we have played this season so far, its nothing to do with how good Norwich are playing, its always the other team "not turning up" or "our defense where sleeping" "we were carless" Heard them all so far this season. Anyway time will tell.

Norwich were the last team to play against Liverpool when they had the standing Kop 0-1 (Goss) and got applauded off the pitch

I've been pleasantly surprised by the Canaries this season. You should have at least got one point at Old Trafford! I still fear it may be like Blackpool last season who started so brightly and then ran out of steam in the end. But good to see Norwich doing well.

I wish your good form to continue, right after losing to Liverpool, please. :)

lucas is missing for us, 5th yellow card. so we may line up with quite an open 4-4-2 with gerrard and adam in the middle.

Yes that's Lucas' 4th straight game with a yellow that got him to 5 already, I think. Slow down on those cautions, Lucas!

It will be interesting to see the lineup, without him. I'd be surprised if we didn't go with two up front, like you say.

Edited by Jimjim

I expect Norwich will go with the same staring line up for the 5th successive game, looking forward to this game more than any so far.

100/1 for Pilkington to get another brace, bear in mind he was unlucky not to get three against United, going to have B500 on that

Well done to Norwich, but that was 2 points dropped by us. I can see why Norwich have done well as Norwich always looked dangerous on the break and could have won it, if not for a great save. But Reina's at fault for that first goal coming for it and not getting anywhere near it.

But obviously a dominant performance by Liverpool except in our finishing.

Suarez had at least 11 shots, 6 on target. He hit each post, could have won it with the last kick of the game if not for a great save by the Norwich keeper. Skrtel hit the bar early on, Carroll with a great header chance to win it a minute from time; I'm dumbfounded as to how we've not won that game and not scored 3 or 4 goals in the process. Incredibly frustrating again! Two amazingly great looks at goal in the last minute of injury time for Suarez and Carroll...

We had about 30 shots, a third of those on target, while Norwich had less than half that but with more accuracy. LFC have got to finish more clinically, that's all there is to it and all there is to be said about this game. We dominated for large stretches save a 10-15 minute period in the second half. Another two points dropped at home, another two points we should have had but didn't due to a bit of bad luck and less than clinical finishing, overall.

So frustrating! Each draw at home has felt harsh and we just need to finish better and maybe have a bit more confidence in front of goal, plus that wee bit of luck...

Aargh...

I watched the game and a good assessment although you did miss out that Suarez needs to stay on his feet more often, then he might not feel so frustrated at every decision the refs give against him.

The performance by Norwich was as good as Liverpool's it is not a flash in the pan as we have seen this from them at Chelsea and United.

Like you say they could of won it smile.gif

That game was echoes of us last season in front of goal. What would help you a great deal is if Suarez stays on his feet. Reckon Dalglish will be having a word.

What would help us a great deal is if he put one of his 11 chances in the back of the net. He was a bit unlucky on a couple but could have done better with one or two as well. He gets in the positions all the time, he just didn't convert on this day. His chance in the first 10 minutes was well saved as was his chance right at the very death.

That game was echoes of us last season in front of goal. What would help you a great deal is if Suarez stays on his feet. Reckon Dalglish will be having a word.

Rather than condoning Suarez for falling over he's blaming the referee, perhaps he decided what boots Suarez was wearing :lol::D

Footnote : Dalglish gets more like Ferguson every day ;)

Rather than condoning Suarez for falling over he's blaming the referee, perhaps he decided what boots Suarez was wearing :lol::D

What he says to the media and what he says in the dressing room will be two different lines.

A great striker like Dalglish knows when Suarez needs to stay on his feet. If he'd have spent less time rolling around whining Liverpool would have won that.

Well done to Norwich, but that was 2 points dropped by us. I can see why Norwich have done well as Norwich always looked dangerous on the break and could have won it, if not for a great save. But Reina's at fault for that first goal coming for it and not getting anywhere near it.

But obviously a dominant performance by Liverpool except in our finishing.

Suarez had at least 11 shots, 6 on target. He hit each post, could have won it with the last kick of the game if not for a great save by the Norwich keeper. Skrtel hit the bar early on, Carroll with a great header chance to win it a minute from time; I'm dumbfounded as to how we've not won that game and not scored 3 or 4 goals in the process. Incredibly frustrating again! Two amazingly great looks at goal in the last minute of injury time for Suarez and Carroll...

We had about 30 shots, a third of those on target, while Norwich had less than half that but with more accuracy. LFC have got to finish more clinically, that's all there is to it and all there is to be said about this game. We dominated for large stretches save a 10-15 minute period in the second half. Another two points dropped at home, another two points we should have had but didn't due to a bit of bad luck and less than clinical finishing, overall.

So frustrating! Each draw at home has felt harsh and we just need to finish better and maybe have a bit more confidence in front of goal, plus that wee bit of luck...

Aargh...

'I'm dumbfounded as to how we've not won that game' ..... 'We had about 30 shots, a third of those on target, while Norwich had less than half that but with more accuracy.'

You answered your own question. I thought Norwich were the better organised side and certainly deserved their draw, but that was on the basis if seeing the last 60 minutes only. I suspect that the absence of Lucas is the reason why Norwich were able to capture so many balls in front of your defence.

4 wins and 4 draws at home - 4th place is far from assured for the Reds so far

What he says to the media and what he says in the dressing room will be two different lines.

A great striker like Dalglish knows when Suarez needs to stay on his feet. If he'd have spent less time rolling around whining Liverpool would have won that.

sounds like you're buying the ferguson smear campaign i'm afraid chaps. suarez goes over when he gets fouled, often painfully through the back because he gets his body between ball and defender so often. he's not a diver or a play-actor.

inability to kill games off is really annoying right now though. sunderland, stoke, norwich, man united, we've been the better side in all those matches and had plenty of chances in all of them to be a good 8 points better off right now. combination of missed chances and then an inability to boss the match in midfield and from centre back without conceding chances to opponents. needs sorting out pronto.

sounds like you're buying the ferguson smear campaign i'm afraid chaps. suarez goes over when he gets fouled, often painfully through the back because he gets his body between ball and defender so often. he's not a diver or a play-actor.

inability to kill games off is really annoying right now though. sunderland, stoke, norwich, man united, we've been the better side in all those matches and had plenty of chances in all of them to be a good 8 points better off right now. combination of missed chances and then an inability to boss the match in midfield and from centre back without conceding chances to opponents. needs sorting out pronto.

I'm not really going along with you on the Suarez thing but each to their own.

Inability to kill off games cost us champions leagu last season. We should have done it relatively easily. I think thats a basic difference between a CL team and a europa team. I'm sure abrak has the stats but it wouldn't surprise me if Liverpool stats look very similar to ours last season re chances created. I'm sure this particular situation will be sorted out quickly. Its the defensive frailty already mentioned that needs addressing, and thats a problem that will be hanging over the back of Spurs' shoulder all season i fear

Lots to play for yet mate as you well know.

nah sorry mate, it's not even each to their own. suarez gets the shit kicked out of him most matches and since the derby at everton where the ref screwed up sending off rodwell and mister ferguson's 'he throws himself all over the place' comment last week there's an obvious smear campaign in place against suarez. he might make sure the ref knows he's been fouled on occasion but make no mistake he gets fouled.

agree here though, long way to go now. arsenal are back in the mix too with their seven wins in eight or whatever it is.

nah sorry mate, it's not even each to their own. suarez gets the shit kicked out of him most matches and since the derby at everton where the ref screwed up sending off rodwell and mister ferguson's 'he throws himself all over the place' comment last week there's an obvious smear campaign in place against suarez. he might make sure the ref knows he's been fouled on occasion but make no mistake he gets fouled.

agree here though, long way to go now. arsenal are back in the mix too with their seven wins in eight or whatever it is.

Agreed, StevieH, can you name one instance when Suarez was in a position to score a goal or give an assist and dived against Norwich, Carmine? Don't think so as there wasn't one...

Only time I can think of in that match when he could be accused of diving was on that long ball in the second half that he wasn't getting to and went down under some light contact. Otherwise, how do you get 11 chances to score by rolling around on the floor?

Saying his diving was to blame for us not winning is really reaching for it, kind of mind boggling to me, really. All he had to do was put one of his many chances in the back of the net, which normally I'd back him to do but he just didn't on the day. I even remember him desperately trying to stay up in the box and went down and rather than looking for a foul call he was still trying to make a play from the floor, rather than rolling around on it, as you say.

There are some very interesting studies on how what's said in the media affects public perceptions, think you guys need to look into that.

Also I didn't understand the smear campaign from Fergie to begin with as he probably was largely referring to when Ferdinand came through the back of Suarez and kicked his feet out and got a yellow card. Clear foul and no diving at all. I think Ferguson says these things in public to get into the heads of referees, personally.

'I'm dumbfounded as to how we've not won that game' ..... 'We had about 30 shots, a third of those on target, while Norwich had less than half that but with more accuracy.'

You answered your own question. I thought Norwich were the better organised side and certainly deserved their draw, but that was on the basis if seeing the last 60 minutes only. I suspect that the absence of Lucas is the reason why Norwich were able to capture so many balls in front of your defence.

4 wins and 4 draws at home - 4th place is far from assured for the Reds so far

Yes, I had answered my own question. I could have said, it was a draw because we scored one and they scored one, as well.

Obviously, we weren't clinical enough, but it's the fact that we weren't clinical enough that's had me dumbfounded...

The fact that you only saw the last 60 minutes means you missed the first 30 where we created many chances and looked like scoring 3 or 4 in the first 30 minutes. :)

Edited by Jimjim

Yes, I had answered my own question. I could have said, it was a draw because we scored one and they scored one, as well.

Obviously, we weren't clinical enough, but it's the fact that we weren't clinical enough that's had me dumbfounded...

The fact that you only saw the last 60 minutes means you missed the first 30 where we created many chances and looked like scoring 3 or 4 in the first 30 minutes. :)

we have a problem in that we're looking almost too reliant on suarez to do something brilliant right now. i want to see us trust our 35m striker a bit more and look to play more as a team. that for me though means reverting to a 4-2-3-1 and get suarez playing more cleverly off a front man.

1319443411[/url]' post='4790287']
1319441991[/url]' post='4790214']

we have a problem in that we're looking almost too reliant on suarez to do something brilliant right now. i want to see us trust our 35m striker a bit more and look to play more as a team. that for me though means reverting to a 4-2-3-1 and get suarez playing more cleverly off a front man.

What stood out for me the most was not having Lucas in the midfield. We seemed to lack that mobility and closing down in midfield and I will go back to the end of last year where I though Spearing was excellent. Spearing should of been the direct replacement for Lucas if he wasnt availble meaning Adam to be dropped for the Norwhich game.

Gerards done well but looks short of match fitness obviously. I can't help feel he would be better in a more attacking role maybe playing of Suarez who can certainly lead the line. Kenny' going to have to choose different starting elevens for different games to fit in the Gerard,Adam,Lucas,Downing,Kuyt options in midfield.

Lots of positives for a side that's just starting to gel...patience is needed.

Enrique pick of the bunch for me absolute quality full back!

Apparently the attempts on goal for our league games so far.

That is impressive to say the least!

Surely we will start banging them in...I remember last season and thinking how and we're we would creat chances.

Norwich: 25 attempts, 1 goal.

Man Utd: 14 attempts, 1 goal.

Everton: 15 attempts, 2 goals.

Wolves: 14 attempts, 2 goals.

Spurs: 5 attempts, no goals.

Stoke: 20 attempts, no goals.

Bolton: 17 attempts, 3 goals.

Arsenal: 13 attempts, 3 goals.

Sunderland: 11 attempts, 1 goal.

Edit - sorry ipad seems to mess up spacing.

Edited by Devil

We were unlucky is all. Suarez should have had a hatrick but it wasn't to be. I thunk we looked more balaned without Lucas though. No stupid fouls or free kicks conceded although Stevie was sitting so deep the whole game, Adam had never been one to track back with much success. Oh how I miss having a Xavi or Mascherano in the squad.

We were unlucky is all. Suarez should have had a hatrick but it wasn't to be. I thunk we looked more balaned without Lucas though. No stupid fouls or free kicks conceded although Stevie was sitting so deep the whole game, Adam had never been one to track back with much success. Oh how I miss having a Xavi or Mascherano in the squad.

Yeah unlucky that's all.....you lost 2 points and we lost 3! wink.gif i bet you miss winning the league as well smile.gif 19 lah!

I think at least half of our problem is a leaky defense especially at home.

If you look at Liverpool's home record we traditionally have a clean sheet in at least half our matches (last year was only 9/19 but in 06/07 we had 13/19). So far this year we have had 5 home matches and the opposition have scored in every single match - one short of the entire 06/07 season. And you cant go through the season having to score at least twice at home in each match in order to win the game and expect to do well.

We seem to be lacking confidence at both ends of the pitch.

Agreed, StevieH, can you name one instance when Suarez was in a position to score a goal or give an assist and dived against Norwich, Carmine? Don't think so as there wasn't one...

Only time I can think of in that match when he could be accused of diving was on that long ball in the second half that he wasn't getting to and went down under some light contact. Otherwise, how do you get 11 chances to score by rolling around on the floor?

Saying his diving was to blame for us not winning is really reaching for it, kind of mind boggling to me, really. All he had to do was put one of his many chances in the back of the net, which normally I'd back him to do but he just didn't on the day. I even remember him desperately trying to stay up in the box and went down and rather than looking for a foul call he was still trying to make a play from the floor, rather than rolling around on it, as you say.

There are some very interesting studies on how what's said in the media affects public perceptions, think you guys need to look into that.

Also I didn't understand the smear campaign from Fergie to begin with as he probably was largely referring to when Ferdinand came through the back of Suarez and kicked his feet out and got a yellow card. Clear foul and no diving at all. I think Ferguson says these things in public to get into the heads of referees, personally.

You really are over reaching now when you suggest i am blaming Suarez for you not winning. Where on earth did that come from? I'm merely saying that i think his strike record would greatly improve if he stayed on his feet more and i stand by that.

This thread gets way too sensitive. Or is it the pressure building? :)

This seems a rather telling statistic about our defensive back line.

During the season so far, LFC have caught the opposition offside a total of 10 times - or approximately once a match. In contrast, Luis Suarez alone has been caught offside 16 times in the Premiership so far this season.

Perhaps a better stat (in case people think I am having a go at Suarez for being offside) is that against Norwich they caught us offside 9 times and we didnt catch them offside once.

It's a shame that Seb Coates hasnt made the grade yet.

Edited by Abrak

This seems a rather telling statistic about our defensive back line.

During the season so far, LFC have caught the opposition offside a total of 10 times - or approximately once a match. In contrast, Luis Suarez alone has been caught offside 16 times in the Premiership so far this season.

Perhaps a better stat (in case people think I am having a go at Suarez for being offside) is that against Norwich they caught us offside 9 times and we didnt catch them offside once.

It's a shame that Seb Coates hasnt made the grade yet.

I wouldn't worry about that la....look at how many scoring chances you got against us....that's a far better stat! smile.gif