Liverpool F.c.

scousemouse

My binman from Burma was asking if i had any work for him yesterday,i kindly pointed that the Liverpool job was up for takers(he had a old Liverpool shirt on)he responded with the shake of his head and shouted to his mate farang ba!! no want this.

Martinez will be manager.

Martinez fits in perfectly he is good at fight off relegation, so he might just keep Liverpool up next season.

I think whoever comes in has got one hell of a rough road ahead of them. Through their actions the owners have made it clear winning trophies is a lower priority than getting back into the Champions League.

I am sure Chelsea will spend to be stronger next year so realistically the top 4 will probably be Arsenal, Chelsea, City and United. Spurs and Newcastle will continue to be up there if they can keep their key players, so the new manager will have quite a challenge to find a way back into the Champions League.

Whatever the owners say now, if the new manager doesn't win any trophies and we finish 7th/8th next season, I think it is highly likely we will be having this same discussion next summer.

I think we need to hire a proven high calibre manager now (e.g. O'Neill), not someone who is still learning and might become a top manager in 5-10 years.

i was agreeing with everything you said there until you mentioned o'neill. wink.png

way i see it there are 2 ways back into the top 4 and champions league for us. 1) throw 200 million at signings this summer and in january a la chelsea and city or 2) get a manager in who has previous experience of getting into the champions league consistently on a comparatively meagre budget. one who is able to do more with less etc.

i don't think the owners are going to do either of these things. so top 8 again it is.

Sad but probably true; I personally wouldn't mind if we finished 7/8th, and win a cup or two!

I actually think Dalglish could have pushed them harder in the league in the second half of the season and given us a good chance of getting into 4th but that probably would have risked not winning the league cup (or reaching the FA cup final) and would have all been in vain anyway because Chelsea won Europe so 4th place is worthless. The owners could have just told Dalglish the truth that they don't care about the domestic cups and it would have saved all this hassle.

My fear is whoever comes in now has a very high chance of getting sacked next summer, because the owners seem to be obsessed solely with league position. That is why O'Neill was the guy who sprang to my mind as he always maximises league position and so is least likely to get sacked; given the current situation I think he is best who we could realistically hire but I agree he is no Ferguson / Wenger / Mourinho.

With regards to the routes back to Europe you mention. As you say, there is no chance we are going to spend hundreds of millions; the new owners don't seem to be big spenders (they have hardly spent anything so far on a net basis). Maybe they will surprise us and get a really top-class manager but I would (pleasantly) surprised.

More than anything, I just really hope they will stick with whoever they hire for a serious period of time and provide him with the support and backing he needs to compete in what is now a very competitive top third of the premier league.

Edited by brit1984
  • Like 1

if they're obsessed with the league position - which given ayre's statement about cups this week they seem to be - there's only one surefire way back into the top four. and that's a bundle of cash this summer and some more in january to buy your way back in. you can be sure that united, city and chelsea will be spending plenty this summer which takes up three of the four CL positions from the off.

i would like to see what benitez could do with this squad and say 20m plus money raised from sales. he did alright last time when he was limited to tighter money, it was when he had the 20ms to chuck about at keane and aquilani that things went a bit pear-shaped.

• Like 1

Its not really a question of being 'obsessed' with the league position. It is a question of our financials. We currently have the 4th= highest wage spend in the Premier League. So we effectively have a CL cost base without CL revenues. Worst of all we are 8th - closer to relegation in points than 4th. So we have a CL cost base and we have a performance nowhere near what is necessary to achieve CL revenues.

So it is fine to look at our current position and say that CL really isnt very realistic at all. The best we can hope for is a bit better and a good cup run. But if we a basically going to accept being a mid-table cup side we might as well knock 30m off our wage base. It will still be the 7th highest in the PL and over double the clubs that usually struggle for relegation. We would then have the cash flow to finance the stadium.

So you can only justify that transfer spend and all that wage spend if you are obsessed with your League position. If it doesnt matter why bother?

My feeling was that FSG's impatience with Kenny was partially driven by the results. I also suspect that they never really felt that Kenny was their man. In some respects he was foistered on them by a force of circumstances and his exceptional performance when he was a temporary appointment. The problem, of course, is when FSG pick their own man, there is a good chance Liverpool supporters wont have much patience with him.

While the financial benefits of being in the champions league are obvious (and huge) just because you want something doesn't mean you can get it; we are in fierce competition with other teams who want it just as much.

When FSG, took over they said their prime objective was to win trophies. Dalglish (mistakenly) took that at face value and concentrated on winning trophies. He showed he can win trophies then FSG sacked him.

As you suggest, FSG need to decide what level of financial commitment they will give to the club. They should then show the new manager (and the fans) some respect by being honest about their objectives.

We will not move forward as a club until the owners, the manager and the fans are all pushing in the same direction; and for that to happen the owners need to be frank (and realistic) about their expectations.

Sent from iPhone; please forgive any typos or violations of forum rules

So lets look at the most recent rumours....a manager from soon to be championship team next year...Rodgers....a manager from a nearly relegated team this year....a manager who was sacked in March.......well good to see FSG are aiming high.......it was a mistake to sack KK with no real plan or who they want in mind....feels a bit like Wolves in the middle of the season........

So lets look at the most recent rumours....a manager from soon to be championship team next year...Rodgers....a manager from a nearly relegated team this year....a manager who was sacked in March.......well good to see FSG are aiming high.......it was a mistake to sack KK with no real plan or who they want in mind....feels a bit like Wolves in the middle of the season........

Harry Redknapp will step in to save the day. Trust him. He's a tactical genius and a diamond geezer.

Harry Redknapp will step in to save the day. Trust him. He's a tactical genius and a diamond geezer.

You want rid of him then by the sounds of you posts, cannot blame you really, you had third spot almost sown up at one stage and to let your closest rivals take that from you he should be sacked.

Bookies have stopped loving him, hes out to 20/1.... so it looks like you are lumbered with him for another yearohmy.png

De Gaal has been backed into 6/1, AVB out to 3/1, Martinez into 7/4

When FSG, took over they said their prime objective was to win trophies. Dalglish (mistakenly) took that at face value and concentrated on winning trophies. He showed he can win trophies then FSG sacked him.

You make it sound like Dalglish's performance in terms of the league was poor by design as it was all part of a cunning master-plan in which to bring cup success.

If you look at the squads he selected there is no indication i can see that he was particularly prioritising or concentrating on cup games. Things may have changed towards the very end of the season, but until then, i think Kenny put 100% of his efforts behind league games.

Edited by rixalex

I first became aware of Liverpool's lack of luck or its decline, or whatever you want to call it, in October 2009 with that bizarre beach ball incident. Since then it has been downhill all the way, but I may not have been noticing much before then.

How long has it been going on and can anyone put their finger on its cause/s? It seems to be a slow decline not attributable to any one thing, looking back, but I just wonder if any Reds fans have their own ideas about it.

Its like a Rafa personality cult type thingy! Strange to say the least.

it's just weird that sort of stuff. LFC fans were amazing when raising pressure on hicks and gillett through online activity, social media etc, but this sort of stuff is pretty cringeworthy.

it's just weird that sort of stuff. LFC fans were amazing when raising pressure on hicks and gillett through online activity, social media etc, but this sort of stuff is pretty cringeworthy.

I reckon Dev started that one up! laugh.png

Seriously though. i remember about a year before his death Bill Nicholson made an appearance on the pitch prior to kick off and grown men had tears in their eyes. But this was a sign of affection for an old man that had devoted most of his life to the club.

The behaviour of some fans with regards Rafa is nothing short of bizarre. Sure he's a very decent guy who has his place in Liverpools history with a european cup but he has seemingly by some atleast been placed on a mantle of immortality. Very very strange.

Anyway back on planet earth you must be fairly approving of Van Gaal if he's appointed D of F? Carries with him huge experience.

The behaviour of some fans with regards Rafa is nothing short of bizarre. Sure he's a very decent guy who has his place in Liverpools history with a european cup but he has seemingly by some atleast been placed on a mantle of immortality. Very very strange.

well that's up to you of course. but remember you are on the outside looking in.

he's not up there with shankly, paisley and dalglish, but he is absolutely loved for the heart and soul he put into the club. not just on the footballing side and winning the european cup, but for his work with the hillsborough campaigns and families, his other charity work, donating a few hundred thousand pounds to the HJC and local hospitals, his wife's ongoing charity foundation, and not least him fighting pretty much by himself against the owners who were determined to take the club into administration rather than lose money. he bought into the city and the people and continues to be one of them so why wouldn't he be loved?

Anyway back on planet earth you must be fairly approving of Van Gaal if he's appointed D of F? Carries with him huge experience.

i don't see it. van gaal's only 60 and is an incredibly successful manager. i find it hard to see him suddenly giving that up for a role upstairs above a manager who isn't as good as he is. van gaal is also stark-raving mental by the way. proper madman.

well that's up to you of course. but remember you are on the outside looking in.

he's not up there with shankly, paisley and dalglish, but he is absolutely loved for the heart and soul he put into the club. not just on the footballing side and winning the european cup, but for his work with the hillsborough campaigns and families, his other charity work, donating a few hundred thousand pounds to the HJC and local hospitals, his wife's ongoing charity foundation, and not least him fighting pretty much by himself against the owners who were determined to take the club into administration rather than lose money. he bought into the city and the people and continues to be one of them so why wouldn't he be loved?

So surely that makes him a better prospect for Mayor than the football manager 7.gif

• Like 1

So surely that makes him a better prospect for Mayor than the football manager 7.gif

no, not really. i was just enlightening carmine as to why the man is as popular as he is on merseyside.

liverpool just got its first ever elected mayor anyway so i'd be happy with him back as football manager. don't realistically think it will happen though.

no, not really. i was just enlightening carmine as to why the man is as popular as he is on merseyside.

liverpool just got its first ever elected mayor anyway so i'd be happy with him back as football manager. don't realistically think it will happen though.

I was actually aware of these attributes and i think he'd make a good mayor.

I reckon Dev started that one up! laugh.png

Seriously though. i remember about a year before his death Bill Nicholson made an appearance on the pitch prior to kick off and grown men had tears in their eyes. But this was a sign of affection for an old man that had devoted most of his life to the club.

No it wast me...I was the one that sent the twitter to Barrack Obama though to bring back Rafa :D

The Rafa statement you make again shows how closed minded you are to actually being nearer to any understanding of most Reds but lets not go there again please :D

Van Gaal, can't imagine Henry and Co going for him based on it being publicly know he had difficulties with previous club Directors/Management but who knows at this point? I am concerned about transfer targets though if we have any that is, we will be very late to the table. So where is the new DOF given they sacked Camolli weeks ago and must of had a plan?

Noted FSG have made two new Executive appointment already in Billy Hogan and Jen Chang and Twitter is showing links to a recent photo of Henry and Martinez walking around in Boston.

"Bastion of Invincibility" Liverpool Football Club.

Edited by Devil

I was actually aware of these attributes and i think he'd make a good mayor.

heh. i think you've actually got to be born in england to be a mayor of an english city haven't you? i mean he's an adopted wool and that but still. . .

Looks like Rafa is in with a shout at the Aston Villa job according to the bookies.

He'd be raving bonkers to take that one on.

Oh I dont know. Assuming he doesnt get the LFC job... he needs a job.

McLeish was pretty awful as was his football. There is a decent spend (7th highest in the league) and a strong academy. I would have thought that Rafa could take them back into the top half of the table where they belong.

I think whoever takes the Liverpool job has a tougher job on his hands for fear of suffering whiplash after Kenny.