Liverpool F.c.

scousemouse

Its like a Rafa personality cult type thingy! Strange to say the least.

it's just weird that sort of stuff. LFC fans were amazing when raising pressure on hicks and gillett through online activity, social media etc, but this sort of stuff is pretty cringeworthy.

I reckon Dev started that one up! laugh.png

Seriously though. i remember about a year before his death Bill Nicholson made an appearance on the pitch prior to kick off and grown men had tears in their eyes. But this was a sign of affection for an old man that had devoted most of his life to the club.

The behaviour of some fans with regards Rafa is nothing short of bizarre. Sure he's a very decent guy who has his place in Liverpools history with a european cup but he has seemingly by some atleast been placed on a mantle of immortality. Very very strange.

Anyway back on planet earth you must be fairly approving of Van Gaal if he's appointed D of F? Carries with him huge experience.

No it wast me...I was the one that sent the twitter to Barrack Obama though to bring back Rafa biggrin.png

The Rafa statement you make again shows how closed minded you are to actually being nearer to any understanding of most Reds but lets not go there again please biggrin.png

Van Gaal, can't imagine Henry and Co going for him based on it being publicly know he had difficulties with previous club Directors/Management but who knows at this point? I am concerned about transfer targets though if we have any that is, we will be very late to the table. So where is the new DOF given they sacked Camolli weeks ago and must of had a plan?

Noted FSG have made two new Executive appointment already in Billy Hogan and Jen Chang and Twitter is showing links to a recent photo of Henry and Martinez walking around in Boston.

"Bastion of Invincibility" Liverpool Football Club.

Why am i narrow minded?

Sounds like Martinez 4 the managers job , imo, a good appointment, as long as the powers 2 be give him a decent amount of time.

And the fans too.

yes, this is true. i don't think the owners have managed this process at all well but i hope that if martinez does get the job that the fans get behind him and support him. i expect that they will.

the owners haven't made life easy for whoever gets the job though. they unceremoniously dumped a club legend and have refused to speak to rafa benitez either about the job itself or his thoughts on what's needed to be successful at liverpool without untold millions to spend. pretty naive stuff on their part imo.

see it's rapier-like wit of that ilk that gets man united fans such a proud name around the world.

biggrin.png I thought scousers had a sense of humour.but sadly anything said in jest is taken with such scorn.tongue.png

see it's rapier-like wit of that ilk that gets man united fans such a proud name around the world.

biggrin.png I thought scousers had a sense of humour.but sadly anything said in jest is taken with such scorn.tongue.png

Their nerves are shot nev....mind you I would struggle to gain much enthusiasm if I was a scouser right now.

The board appear clueless...at least we only have a manager in that ilk.

There is talk that the next one to turn down the Liverpool job will get his benefit cut.

Nah thats reserved for ex liverpool captains taking penalties on tv, then being totally surprised when they get their disability benefit cut!!!

I see that Brendan Rodgers is now odds-on to be the new Liverpool manager while Martinez has drifted to 2-1. It seems rather strange as Swansea put out a press release to say that Liverpool hadnt talked to him yesterday and Martinez is having a second meeting with the owners today.

it's looking increasingly like rodgers isn't it? just want it done now so we can get on with stuff.

Yep, Rodgers seems to be the one most reports mentioning now. Given how FSG seem to want to restructure the new set up, also very keen to know who the DOF will be.

Interesting article on him Rodgers here URL]http://www.theliverpoolword.com/2012/05/brendan-rodgers-why-he-makes-sense-as-the-next-liverpool-manager/[/url]

"Bastion of Invincibility" Liverpool Football Club.

If Rogers is appointed how do you think he will set up the team? Bearing in mind the way Swansea play (which I really like to watch), does it mean buying players (we hardly have the players to replicate Swansea's driving attacks) or will he adapt to the players he has? It's kind of the same for Martinez in my opinion. Out of the 2 I would prefer Rogers, and if we do get Van Gaal (upstairs) then i would be very happy, he would be great for the new manager to get input from.

So Martinez turned you down as well then?

Certainly looks that way doesn't it?

If Rodgers gets it he'll have 3 problems:

1. Supporters who think a bigger, more quaified man should have come in (read; Rafa) and who may take out their frustrations on him, agitating for the Return of Rafa,or annoyance at the owners for finding themselves in their current plight.

2. Keeping the squad together. I can't imagine Suarez wanting to be told what to do by someone as inexperienced as him. And there may be a few departures from Anfield.

3. How he would assert himself in the face of a DOF as imposing and mad as Van Gaal, although I recently read neither Martinez nor Rodgers would take the job if VG was DOF.

Edited by sharecropper

1. Supporters who think a bigger, more quaified man should have come in (read; Rafa) and who may take out their frustrations on him, agitating for the Return of Rafa,or annoyance at the owners for finding themselves in their current plight.

2. Keeping the squad together. I can't imagine Suarez wanting to be told what to someone as inexperienced as him. And there may be a few departures from Anfield.

3. How he would assert himself in the face of a DOF as imposing and mad as Van Gaal, although I recently read neither Martinez nor Rodgers would take the job if VG was DOF.

Regards your 3rd point i doubt they will appoint a manager before a director of football.

I also don't really understand why Suarez would have a problem working with a new manager

You first point is very valid though and after the Hodgson treatment and Rafa living round the corner many potential candidates might find the job rather unattractive. Afterall he's bound to get the "Rafa loves us and would have done better" or the "Kenny would have done better given more time....

Seems like the new manager is in a lose lose situation or at best a very difficult one.

Edited by carmine

If Rogers is appointed how do you think he will set up the team? Bearing in mind the way Swansea play (which I really like to watch), does it mean buying players (we hardly have the players to replicate Swansea's driving attacks) or will he adapt to the players he has? It's kind of the same for Martinez in my opinion. Out of the 2 I would prefer Rogers, and if we do get Van Gaal (upstairs) then i would be very happy, he would be great for the new manager to get input from.

Swansea play free flowing football. This we can agree on. If you don't have the players to play in such a style why have i been reading on some posts about the free flowing football you were playing under Dalglish?

2. Keeping the squad together. I can't imagine Suarez wanting to be told what to someone as inexperienced as him. And there may be a few departures from Anfield.

Regards your 3rd point i doubt they will appoint a manager before a director of football.

I also don't really understand why Suarez would have a problem working with a new manager

You first point is very valid though and after the Hodgson treatment and Rafa living round the corner many potential candidates might find the job rather unattractive. Afterall he's bound to get the "Rafa loves us and would have done better" or the "Kenny would have done better given more time....

Seems like the new manager is in a lose lose situation or at best a very difficult one.

Not "a" new manager, just one he sees as inexperienced. You saw how he totally disrespected Dalglish, a man he apparently looked up to as a manager, on the Evra handshake, so a less confident manager telling him what to do? It will end in tears I reckon.

Re point 3 - I just read this in the UK Daily Telegraph:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/liverpool/9298832/Liverpool-close-in-on-Swansea-Citys-Brendan-Rodgers-with-second-formal-approach-expected-before-the-weekend.html

And yes, a lose lose situation, whichever way you look at it, I think. As the new manager knows not even winning silverware and getting to two finals will keep his job safe.

If its true Suarez told Dalglish he would shake Evra's hand before the match and ofcourse didn't then, leading to Dalglish's humiliating apology for behaviour unbefitting of a Liverpool manager then i'm surprised Suarez isn't booed off the pitch.

So i have to presume he told Dalglish nothing of the sort.

If its true Suarez told Dalglish he would shake Evra's hand before the match and ofcourse didn't then, leading to Dalglish's humiliating apology for behaviour unbefitting of a Liverpool manager then i'm surprised Suarez isn't booed off the pitch.

So i have to presume he told Dalglish nothing of the sort.

Why not just get Van Gaal as manager and be done with it??

As I understand it - FSG are installing a broad management team - sporting director, technical director and manager - that moves away from the very 'manager centric' way Liverpool has been run in the past although it isnt that far off the whole 'boot room' idea. Supposedly it follows the Lyon model or more European model. The Sporting Director - Van Gaal - will actually be the most senior position, so Van Gaal is unlikely to want to demote himself to manager. He will act more like Daniel Levy at Spurs and have the final say over transfers. Clearly it is a bit like the GM and coach that you have in American baseball. And this is why you have the proven world class football guy as Sporting Director and the young hungry guy as manager.

The obvious problem with a 'manager centric' club is that each time the manager changes it leaves a 'vacuum' and you have to rip things up and start again. FSG are trying to install a 'management structure' to create stability. Clearly Arsenal and Utd have stability by sticking with the same manager. Spurs have stability through Levy. City and Chelsea dont inherently need stability because they have so much money they can have a strategy of buying all the players they want and then writing off the ones that dont work. Look at Barcelona, they are so well organized that when Guardiola left, they simply appointed the guy - Vilanova - from the reserves and nobody batted an eyelid.

Personally I like the idea of a young manager and certainly both Martinez and Rodgers deserve their chance at a bigger club. I think Rodgers is potentially a better fit and his teams certainly defend better. I agree that they face an unenviable challenge. Caught between the dismissal of one legend and supporters supposed-ed entitlement that another past manager should be appointed and would be certain to succeed. Obviously if the new manager got off to a storming start all would be well - but that doesnt seem the most likely outcome after the lame end to last season.

I am sure the vast majority of fans will get behind the new manager whether it is Martinez or Rodgers - afterall they are generally pissed at the owner not at the manager. I suspect there will be a few though - who would rather be right about their view he was the wrong appointment - and will criticize rather than get on and support the club.

Swansea play free flowing football. This we can agree on. If you don't have the players to play in such a style why have i been reading on some posts about the free flowing football you were playing under Dalglish?

I was talking about the speed of attack, not the flow of the football. we can at times play great flowing football, but we do not attack at the pace Swansea can, in fact very few teams can.