Liverpool F.c.

scousemouse

cantona karate-kicked a supporter and was lucky not to cause a riot. they're not really comparable incidents unless you're talking about liverpool sacking suarez.

To be fair Stevie, I find its not United fans that are comparing, all over my social media Liverpool fans with less nouse than yourself are clutching at straws and using Cantona references in some kind of mad defence of Suarez.

I agree, totally separate and unrelated incidents regardless..!

redrus

cantona karate-kicked a supporter and was lucky not to cause a riot. they're not really comparable incidents unless you're talking about liverpool sacking suarez.

To be fair Stevie, I find its not United fans that are comparing, all over my social media Liverpool fans with less nouse than yourself are clutching at straws and using Cantona references in some kind of mad defence of Suarez.

I agree, totally separate and unrelated incidents regardless..!

redrus

oh totally rus, fair comment. some liverpool fans are trying to play it down too much. i do think carragher's article is pretty spot on though, and very weirdly, martin samuel is even talking sense in the mail. he needs a sensible ban that the offence warrants but i think they're, the FA, going to go overboard because of the hype. i'm expecting 10 or 12 games. while defoe got none for the same thing.

I remember watching this creature,when he played for Ajax,and he was despicable at times,even bit someone then.His rants at the refs,with saliva frothing in his mouth,some crazy,stupid tackles,his moans, diving,complaining about everything and nothing,convinced me he was going to be the same creature in the EPL.

The man is BIG TROUBLE,always will be,but he is a great player,so that will win,as Liverpool arent strong enough to get rid,and they have no one else to score,

"creature"? have a word with yourself.

Cantona was arrested and convicted for assault, resulting in a two-week prison sentence. This was overturned in the appeal court and instead he was sentenced to 120 hours of community service.

In accordance with the Football Association's wishes, Manchester United suspended Cantona for the remaining four months of the 1994–95 season, which ruled him out of first team action as United were still in the hunt for a second double. He was also fined £20,000.

The Football Association then increased the ban to eight months (up to and including 30 September 1995) and fined him a further £10,000. The FA Chief Executive Graham Kelly described his attack as "a stain on our game" that brought shame on football. FIFA then confirmed the suspension as worldwide, meaning that Cantona couldn't escape the ban by transferring to a foreign club.[20] Manchester United also fined Cantona two weeks' wages and he was stripped of the French captaincy.[21] His club eventually lost the Premier League title to Blackburn Rovers.

yeah, cantona didn't get off lightly. imagine if he'd done it in the internet and twitter era though? there'd be calls for his banning for life and deportation.

I am still waiting for Suarez to come out and say they bite people in Uruguay......shame he isn't Romanian biggrin.png

The nasty streak comes with a lot of world class talent....Eric was no exception.He actually finished if you remember and Fergy went to Paris to get him to see out his LONG ban.

The difference with Suarez is the Premier League is now much higher profile and the small incidents are rightly or wrongly made much bigger,to be fair Suarez has history doing the same thing......he is also under investigation buy FIFA for another incident playing for his country,and his problems stem a lot from the disdain most fans have of him throwing himself to the ground and giving it large moaning in nearly every game passifier.gifpassifier.gif if he packed that in and does what he is brilliant at then he has half a chance.

If somebody offers 40/50 million for him(on the continent) you will sell him no doubt in my mind about that though.

Luis Suarez 10-game ban: FA punishes Liverpool striker for bite

Liverpool striker Luis Suarez has been banned for 10 games by the Football Association for biting Chelsea's Branislav Ivanovic.
The incident happened during Sunday's 2-2 draw between the sides.

Following the bite, the 26-year-old apologised for biting the Chelsea defender and spoke to Ivanovic personally to say sorry.
Liverpool have fined Suarez but insist he still has a future with the Premier League club.

The ban covers their final four games of this season, and the first six games of 2013-14.

More: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/22278258

bbclogo.jpg
-- BBC 2013-04-24

Cantona was arrested and convicted for assault, resulting in a two-week prison sentence. This was overturned in the appeal court and instead he was sentenced to 120 hours of community service.

In accordance with the Football Association's wishes, Manchester United suspended Cantona for the remaining four months of the 1994–95 season, which ruled him out of first team action as United were still in the hunt for a second double. He was also fined £20,000.

The Football Association then increased the ban to eight months (up to and including 30 September 1995) and fined him a further £10,000. The FA Chief Executive Graham Kelly described his attack as "a stain on our game" that brought shame on football. FIFA then confirmed the suspension as worldwide, meaning that Cantona couldn't escape the ban by transferring to a foreign club.[20] Manchester United also fined Cantona two weeks' wages and he was stripped of the French captaincy.[21] His club eventually lost the Premier League title to Blackburn Rovers.

Four months for Karate kicking a supporter. So logically Suarez gets much less for biting a player to the extent that it took inspection to find the bite. Come on forget about comparisons to Cantona, I do like the example of the consequences though, as this would be my concern. We should, as a club, withdraw him from games until the end of the season (and maybe beyond). We can then forget about it, and feel we have acted correctly. Unfortunately it is probably too late. Again our PR guys are rubbish. If we had come out and said that he was withdrawn for more than the FA punishment we could have saved some face for the club, and possible further sanction from the FA. God knows what they will do now.

Is it true about Defoe getting no punishment?

Typical, missed the ban news by about a minute. 10 games seems a lot to me, and how can the bite be deemed worse than their punishment the last time. As mentioned above our PR guys could have made this easier by giving our own punishment. We really can be <deleted>

Edited by nellyp

Four months for Karate kicking a supporter. So logically Suarez gets much less for biting a player to the extent that it took inspection to find the bite. Come on forget about comparisons to Cantona, I do like the example of the consequences though, as this would be my concern. We should, as a club, withdraw him from games until the end of the season. We can then forget about it, and feel we have acted correctly. Unfortunately it is probably too late. Again our PR guys are rubbish. If we had come out and said that he was withdrawn for more than the FA punishment we could have saved some face for the club, and possible further sanction from the FA. God knows what they will do now.

Cantona got eight months nelly.Games wise it was about 20/25 maybe more?

Defoe got nothing although i never saw the alleged bite.

I think Suarez history has been taken into account here,he was probably warned about his future conduct after the Evra saga and he really has not got much of a future here now down to his own inability to control his demons on the pitch.He will get another ban by FIFA and taht will be bad news for his country also.

Agree with Mrbojangles 5 games would of been sufficient but i think they will sell him now anyway.

Edited by MrRed
  • Like 1

Luis Suarez 10-game ban: FA punishes
Liverpool striker for bite

Liverpool
striker Luis Suarez has been banned for 10 games by the Football Association for
biting Chelsea's Branislav Ivanovic.

The incident happened during Sunday's 2-2 draw between the
sides.

The 26-year-old later apologised for biting the
Chelsea defender
and was fined by Liverpool on Monday.

The club, who have until Friday at 12:00 BST to appeal, said they were
"shocked and disappointed" at the length of the suspension.

Uruguay international Suarez had accepted the FA charge of violent conduct
but claimed his ban should be three games, the standard punishment for violent
conduct.

An FA statement read: "A three-person independent regulatory
commission today upheld the FA's claim that a suspension of three matches was
clearly insufficient and the player will serve a further seven first-team
matches in addition to the standard three. The suspension begins with immediate
effect.

"The Liverpool forward had accepted a charge of violent conduct but had
denied the FA's claim that the standard three-match sanction was insufficient
for the offence.

"The incident was not seen by the match officials and has therefore been
retrospectively reviewed.

"Suarez has until midday on Friday 26 April to appeal [against] the
additional suspension, above the standard three matches."

Analysis

Richard Conway BBC sports news reporter

"There will be shock on two levels. Firstly, from the club, the player and
the fans at the severity of the punishment. Secondly, from across football
because this is two games more than the ban Suarez received for racially abusing
Patrice Evra."

The ban covers their final four games of this season,
and the first six games of 2013-14.

Reds managing director Ian Ayre said: "Both the club and player are shocked
and disappointed at the severity of today's independent regulatory commission
decision.

"We await the written reasons tomorrow before making any further comment."

It is not the first time Suarez has been charged with such an offence. He was
banned for
seven games
when he was at Ajax after biting PSV Eindhoven midfielder Otman
Bakkal's shoulder during a match in November 2010.

During his time at Liverpool, he was also given an eight-match ban and
£40,000 fine by the FA for racially abusing Manchester United left-back Patrice
Evra in December 2011.

Four months for Karate kicking a supporter. So logically Suarez gets much less for biting a player to the extent that it took inspection to find the bite. Come on forget about comparisons to Cantona, I do like the example of the consequences though, as this would be my concern. We should, as a club, withdraw him from games until the end of the season. We can then forget about it, and feel we have acted correctly. Unfortunately it is probably too late. Again our PR guys are rubbish. If we had come out and said that he was withdrawn for more than the FA punishment we could have saved some face for the club, and possible further sanction from the FA. God knows what they will do now.

Cantona got eight months nelly.Games wise it was about 20/25 maybe more?

Defoe got nothing although i never saw the alleged bite.

I think Suarez history has been taken into account here,he was probably warned about his future conduct after the Evra saga and he really has not got much of a future here now down to his own inability to control his demons on the pitch.He will get another ban by FIFA and taht will be bad news for his country also.

Agree with Mrbojangles 5 games would of been sufficient but i think they will sell him now anyway.

Thanks for this info. I would have agreed with 7 games reluctantly, but feel the end of the season would probably have been too short. I think we should keep him for another year (I think he would have been gone after that anyway), I really thought he was getting better. I know the anger management is scoffed at , but it may be worth a go. Especially when appealing the ban

Liverpool striker Luis Suarez has been banned for 10 games by the Football Association for biting Chelsea's Branislav Ivanovic.

Following the bite, the 26-year-old apologised for biting the Chelsea defender and spoke to Ivanovic personally to say sorry.

Liverpool have fined Suarez but insist he still has a future with the Premier League club.

The ban covers their final four games of this season, and the first six games of 2013-14.

bbclogo.jpg

-- BBC 2013-04-24

Please do not post on twitter these "interesting topics" not related to Thailand. If someone follows Thaivisa on Twitter it is to get news and info about Thailand, not Liverpool.

I often see topics more related to Thailand than this one being closed...

Edited by Fgis

I don't understand how they can ban him more than what they have charged him with.

Charges are for violent conduct, 3 game ban. The English FA are just trying to make an example out of the boy.

Defoe received a yellow card when he bite masherano a few years back, how does that seem fair?

I don't understand how they can ban him more than what they have charged him with. Charges are for violent conduct, 3 game ban. The English FA are just trying to make an example out of the boy. Defoe received a yellow card when he bite masherano a few years back, how does that seem fair?

yeah as liniker said the fa need to address this the refs seen itand done something end of story, they need to be able to take action post the refs decision.

Probably got off lightly if anything. This is the second time he's bitten someone. Plus all the rest of the stuff he's done. Any other sport than football he'd have been banned for life by now. Unquestionably a great player, but some things are bigger. Whether they like it or not Premiership footballers are role models for kids, already a report from the UK of a kid at primary school doing it and claiming he was 'Doing a Suarez'. Naive to think that some impressionable young lads who idolize him won't copy him in todays Britain.

I don't understand how they can ban him more than what they have charged him with. Charges are for violent conduct, 3 game ban. The English FA are just trying to make an example out of the boy. Defoe received a yellow card when he bite masherano a few years back, how does that seem fair?

yeah as liniker said the fa need to address this the refs seen itand done something end of story, they need to be able to take action post the refs decision.

This would actually be good for a change. The tackle the Wigan player handed out a few weeks ago nearly ended the Newcastle players career.

FA say no ban needed but then hand out a ban that is more than the ban applied to violent conduct.

Probably got off lightly if anything. This is the second time he's bitten someone. Plus all the rest of the stuff he's done. Any other sport than football he'd have been banned for life by now. Unquestionably a great player, but some things are bigger. Whether they like it or not Premiership footballers are role models for kids, already a report from the UK of a kid at primary school doing it and claiming he was 'Doing a Suarez'. Naive to think that some impressionable young lads who idolize him won't copy him in todays Britain.

Agree that the boy should be able to control him self and set an example, not only to other children, but to his own child.

More annoyed at the over reaction by the FA. Wish they could apply the ban that they see fit for the charge they are applying.

bbclogo.jpg

-- BBC 2013-04-24

Please do not post on twitter these "interesting topics" not related to Thailand. If someone follows Thaivisa on Twitter it is to get news and info about Thailand, not Liverpool.

I often see topics more related to Thailand than this one being closed...

You realise you're in the football forum don't you sunshine....?

Our game transcends your 'Thai' borders... (only if that's ok with you though)

redrus

His previous biting incident was not taken into consideration as, it was under a different FA's ruling and jurisdiction.

I firmly believe that this ban is about right, if anything it should have been more, not less. The FA banned him, not his club.

For those that like comparisons, Manchester United banned Eric Cantona.......!!!!!

redrus

I remember watching this creature,when he played for Ajax,and he was despicable at times,even bit someone then.His rants at the refs,with saliva frothing in his mouth,some crazy,stupid tackles,his moans, diving,complaining about everything and nothing,convinced me he was going to be the same creature in the EPL.

The man is BIG TROUBLE,always will be,but he is a great player,so that will win,as Liverpool arent strong enough to get rid,and they have no one else to score,

"creature"? have a word with yourself.

Had a word with myself,realy sorry about that, i meant despicable creature,my mistake,glad u corrected me