93-Year-Old Australian Accused Of Sexually Assaulting Thai Children Goes On Trial

webfact

I would like to know if the parents and housemaid were aware of the first previous case/accusations.

This detail is for me the turning point of this case.

Did the police/social workers informed the neighborhood/parents/housemaid after the first trial ?

If yes, how is it still possible that your kids can play with such a neighbor ?

Moreover, it would be grounds to speculate at a motive for a false accusation...

However, I'm not aware that such a thing (informing of neighbors et al) is typically done inThailand - is it?

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, I don't think so, I think many civilized people would like a court to be presented with the evidence and to hear the judge say 'Guilty', before he faces summary execution or life in prison. Now...What's up with that?

What you mean like "presumption of innocence" and impartial justice and that sort of thing (that are fundamental principles of any just and democratic society)?

What sort of nonsense is that?!

• Like 2

I would like to know if the parents and housemaid were aware of the first previous case/accusations.

Did the police/social workers informed the neighborhood/parents/housemaid after the first trial ?

Moreover, it would be grounds to speculate at a motive for a false accusation...

However, I'm not aware that such a thing (informing of neighbors et al) is typically done inThailand - is it?

We have a completely different case if "the local hang them high brigade" was active after the first trial among his neighbors...

The timing of the information coming to the neighbors of the first case vs. the accusations/charges of the second case are important.

He will always remain as a pedophile even if the charges are not relevant in both cases.

That's the power of the public opinion.

Ignoring the influence of the first case into the second one is a capital mistake, read injustice.

Digital footage, overseas pedophile network, dildos and the charges of the 4 sisters may not be at all connected to the first case !

Not in terms of facts or timing of facts itself.

Edited by Thorgal

There are several illegal posts in this thread, all with bold font and enlarged font.

Having had the wrath, you lot need to stop the illegal stuff.

Seeing as I enlarged and used bold on my own quote to ensure that ozziebloke actually sees what I wrote . . . mea culpa

You are not allowed to do that, it is a sin.

You will be going where the sun does not shine for that mortal sin.

It's not illegal to use bold, it's not necessary however, but then neither is trolling.

Stay on-topic, please.

He has been charged in a previous similar case but released for insufficient evidences.

And yes he had to pay a sum who was inferior to the original claim of the charges. This is usual in Thai Law.

By paying this amount he avoids that the victim can charge him again, even if he was found completely not guilty.

A sort of win/win procedure.

If no, what are the shared responsibilities of justice now ?

Hard to believe that there was no usual, typical local and effective gossip before and after the first trial.

Just a random collective blackout perhaps...

He moved from somewhere down Bangkok way to Chiang Mai after the first event, according to my memory, so the local aspect of gossip is unlikely. That's not to say that the gossip hasn't followed him upcountry.

He has been charged in a previous similar case but released for insufficient evidences.

And yes he had to pay a sum who was inferior to the original claim of the charges. This is usual in Thai Law.

By paying this amount he avoids that the victim can charge him again, even if he was found completely not guilty.

Hard to believe that there was no usual, typical local and effective gossip before and after the first trial.

He moved from somewhere down Bangkok way to Chiang Mai after the first event, according to my memory, so the local aspect of gossip is unlikely. That's not to say that the gossip hasn't followed him upcountry.

Latest charges originated from Ban Tarn Ing Doi in Doi Saket, Chiang Mai.

Where did he commit his first crimes according to your memory based on the local tabloids ? Do you have any source ? The answer is no...

Just imagine if he has been charged twice in the same moo baan ...

Perhaps his trip to Burma was not so ridiculous...

Edited by Thorgal
  • Like 1

What I do find laughable is how everyone is so clued up on Thai courts and how bent the Thai police are. My guess is the closest most have come to any of the said corruption is the odd helmet fine. Not proud of this but I got arrested in Thailand for a minor offence (nothing to do with children before some smart a**e pipes up), and I found the coppers to be very courteous and the courts to be somewhat different than what I was used to but fair all the same. Didn't come across anyone with their hand out on the skim at any point, things are done differently but what would you expect.

Maybe this is more about his estate than his crime. Maybe the people involved that he allegedly did something to were involved for a reason? There are many forms of abuse and vast differences in the gravity. I find it hard to believe he raped a 15 year old girl when he was 90. Maybe he was involved in some way but people should refrain from assuming the worst when the crime may not at all be what the images spring into your minds.

This case illustrates our culturally different mind-sets. We are outraged ,incensed at the nature of the alleged crimes, yet Thai courts considered him low risk and the accusations against him not so serious that he could be granted bail ,(albeit 400,000bt -which in itself says something ).

The fact that he was previously offered and accepted to pay a bribe to escape a previous charge also speaks volumes , both about him and the society he is living in.

The only innocent parties in this are the children .

Yes , the guy probably is a deviant ,and yes there probably was an extent of complicity or extortion by family of the girls and local police.

Conclusion ...being sent back by the Burmese was probably the worst scenario for all concerned ,especially as he can't buy his way out this time ,and the police who,after 3 years actually have to provide some hard proof .

What I do find laughable is how everyone is so clued up on Thai courts and how bent the Thai police are. My guess is the closest most have come to any of the said corruption is the odd helmet fine. Not proud of this but I got arrested in Thailand for a minor offence (nothing to do with children before some smart a**e pipes up), and I found the coppers to be very courteous and the courts to be somewhat different than what I was used to but fair all the same. Didn't come across anyone with their hand out on the skim at any point, things are done differently but what would you expect.

Another laughable news for you : these accusations are now, actually from the government (as civil defendant), and which cited for sure a legal warrant

to confiscate all his property because a judge has been satisfied that his property was used for the creation and propagation of pedophilia...

It's no more relevant "if" the housemaid is an illegal immigrant from Burma...or Miss Gossip 2008 from her Moo baan...

Where did he commit his first crimes according to your memory based on the local tabloids ? Do you have any source ? The answer is no...

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/world/karl-joseph-kraus-90-year-old-australian-arrested-charged-raping-sisters-thailand-article-1.185188

I'm not allowed to link to the original Bangkok Post article.
Plus I can't be bothered, this issue was viciously debated in a thread around October last year, it's been 3 years since he was charged, 5 years since he was alleged to have begun the abuse........the age of 93 is a red herring.
Edited by metisdead
Oversized font reset to normal.

I don't know who he crossed and didn't pay, but no way that old fart attacked FOUR girls. Thai girls are tough, especially farm girls. No way are they going to sit by while this old man tries to hold one down then get the next one and so on. Logically, this makes no sense at all. ONE GIRL... maybe. And that is a big maybe if he drugged her she was the youngest of the group.

Sorry, I just don't buy it. I've seen too many farang get the rub here over stuff they didn't do to believe this one. Even if he can walk, look at him. He looks like a ghost out of a horror movie.

• Like 1

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/world/karl-joseph-kraus-90-year-old-australian-arrested-charged-raping-sisters-thailand-article-1.185188

I'm not allowed to link to the original Bangkok Post article.
Plus I can't be bothered, this issue was viciously debated in a thread around October last year, it's been 3 years since he was charged, 5 years since he was alleged to have begun the abuse........the age of 93 is a red herring.

Is it so difficult to take back your previous statement where you declared that he committed his first crime in BKK ?

You're just being petty now.

There's another dozen links available on this story but I can't be bothered. There's enough in them to inform people of the character of the man, a sprightly pensioner who suddenly feigned illness when questioned by police, but was fit enough to cross a river when he jumped bail.

He's in court, facing charges stemming from 2008, when he was 88......the 93 year old figure is a red herring.

The court will decide now, and that's it.

• Like 1

Another laughable news for you : these accusations are now, actually from the government (as civil defendant), and which cited for sure a legal warrant

to confiscate all his property because a judge has been satisfied that his property was used for the creation and propagation of pedophilia...

It's no more relevant "if" the housemaid is an illegal immigrant from Burma...or Miss Gossip 2008 from her Moo baan...

If a judge is satisfied and that's a legal course to take his house, then who am I to argue. Don't see your point really...... Do you think the police and the judge are in it together just to nick some old duffers house?

There's another dozen links available on this story but I can't be bothered. There's enough in them to inform people of the character of the man, a sprightly pensioner who suddenly feigned illness when questioned by police, but was fit enough to cross a river when he jumped bail.

Yes, yes, he crossed a river. There are tried and tested ways to do it, on a bridge, or a rubber boat perhaps. We're not talking Mekong here, but this trickle near Chiang Mai.

cross-Moei-River1.jpg

Even swimming over the 20 or so metres isn't the same challenge as having sex with a teenager at his age, so please drop the nonsense.

If a judge is satisfied and that's a legal course to take his house, then who am I to argue. Don't see your point really...... Do you think the police and the judge are in it together just to nick some old duffers house?

I guess the point may be that it is a little premature for a local judge to confiscate his house when he has not stood trial yet. It could prove a little embarrassing or difficult even if he is found innocent at trial. It would be interesting to know if the house was subsequently sold and if so who the house was sold to (at a knock down price I am sure) after it was confiscated.

• Like 2

He has been charged for 3 years. Seems long enough for me to come to a final verdict.

Corroborative evidences and witnesses as published should make him immediately guilty, but this process takes 3 years with no result.

Problem is that the old man refuses to make any confessions of his guilt and that he refuses to pay the requested 500.000 THB.

Is there a Solomon judgement where the parents accepted already the "moral compensation" of 125.000 THB/child and he still refuses his guilt ?

No matter the motives/alibi of the housemaid. Confiscation can start to shorten the previous negotiation period of +3 years...

Can you reproduce the same "laughable" facts and figures if the sex-offender was not a farang ?

Can you confirm that the media is not manipulating the investigation and trial ?

Edited by Thorgal

Yes, yes, he crossed a river. There are tried and tested ways to do it, on a bridge, or a rubber boat perhaps. We're not talking Mekong here, but this trickle near Chiang Mai.

cross-Moei-River1.jpg

Even swimming over the 20 or so metres isn't the same challenge as having sex with a teenager at his age, so please drop the nonsense.

Me? nonsense? After this post.

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

He has been charged for 3 years. Seems long enough for me to come to a final verdict.

Corroborative evidences and witnesses as published should make him immediately guilty, but this process takes 3 years with no result.

Problem is that the old man refuses to make any confessions of his guilt and that he refuses to pay the requested 500.000 THB.

Is there a Solomon judgement where the parents accepted already the "moral compensation" of 125.000 THB/child and he still refuses his guilt ?

No matter the motives/alibi of the housemaid. Confiscation can start to shorten the previous negotiation period of +3 years...

Can you reproduce the same "laughable" facts and figures if the sex-offender was not a farang ?

Can you confirm that the media is not manipulating the investigation and trial ?

I can show you thousands of cases both Thai and farang that have taken over 6 years to go to court, because my own lawyer showed me on 1 of my visits to him. 3 years is nothing in Thailand, especially if you leg it for a good part of that. As for the other so called facts about his house I neither no nor care about it if I'm honest, why should I give a toss any more than some Some Thai? I still don't believe it is some mass conspiracy against 1 old duffer just to get a house, in an international case like this the ramifications would be too great. You wanna believe everyones out to get poor old whitey in Thailand then that's up to you, I choose to see it a little different.

cross-Moei-River1.jpg

It looks like your another one who hasn't followed the whole story from the start! Kraus first met the girls in 2008 and at that time there were no teenagers out of the four sisters. And it has been stated that he had been charged in earlier years for sexual assault but paid his way out of that case. Of course looking at the man now would make you think he wasn't able to go to the toilet without help but these alledged abuses occoured when he was very active and even driving his own car around 4-5 years ago.

Where is all the detailed info on the previous rape?

I have not been able to find it, only simple one line references to it in one or 2 articles, nothing exact and specific.

At 88yo when the incidents happened and at such a high level incident, one would have to think he would have a history of this over the years before and at 88 there are many years before.

Where is that history? Of course he just might never have been caught.

The problem with trying to judge it is that you have to go on what is stated and not always what is stated is correct. Nobody on TV I presume has seen the 100 odd photos to examine for themselves I would gather?

It does seem a very strange setup, 4 girls at once.

• Like 1

This is terrible. The guy looks like someone who has just been liberated from a concentration camp.

As for the charges against him, I simply don`t believe it.

The only conclusion I see coming out of this, is that the old man will die of stress before he is sentenced.

Why not just deport him back to Australia and let them deal with the problem? Probably place him in an old people`s home where he belongs.

It`s shocking and distressing to watch.

Distressing? In Thailand?

As long as a country is starting international disputes about Buddha's on toilets, IKEA adverts with katoeys, abuses loads of rules and regulations regarding human rights, neglect thousands of Burmeze refugees, they will not be distressed by the sight of this poor guy.

OK, I don't know what a 93 year old is being capable of, but raping underage girls?

Alli can say is, let him go home and die at home coffee1.gif

Thailand has more other problems to look at in the back garden rolleyes.gifwhistling.gif

You wouldn't say that if it were your daughters. Make an example of him to all the other sick paedos over here and take the his life.

And you wouldn't say that if he were your Grandfather!

>I showed my 92 year old Dad the report and photo of the guy. He said he looks like death warmed up and said he had a good Aussie name, Karl Joseph Kraus probably fought against him in the second world war.

Ozemade, as the Great Great Grandfathers of most Australians were murderers, rapists and thieves who were given a one way ticket on a boat to Australia as punishment that's a pretty stupid thing to say. The guy is Austrian, but if he was a young man living in Germany at the time of the war and was told he was drafted to fight then that's what he would have done. And I imagine, he, like your Grandfather and most young men at the time were just shit scared young men being sent to their senseless deaths on the whim of Generals and Politicians sat far away from reality. His surname is irrelevant.

I would say you want to get your facts right on all of your comments, for instance:-“The German embassy can find a good lawyer to help

me,” said Mr Kraus, who was born in Berlin but has been an Australian citizen for decades.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/world/australian-93-on-asian-childsex-charges-20130305-2fhhs.html#ixzz2S6ZpnMX6

Most Australians volunteered to fight in the 2nd World War when war was declared against Germany by the British.

However during the Vietnam War at least 50% of Australians were conscripted. Me being one of them.

Since the Vietnam war, all Australian Military who fight anywhere in the world volunteered to do service and fight for freedom.

!

>I showed my 92 year old Dad the report and photo of the guy. He said he looks like death warmed up and said he had a good Aussie name, Karl Joseph Kraus probably fought against him in the second world war.

Ozemade, as the Great Great Grandfathers of most Australians were murderers, rapists and thieves who were given a one way ticket on a boat to Australia as punishment that's a pretty stupid thing to say. The guy is Austrian, but if he was a young man living in Germany at the time of the war and was told he was drafted to fight then that's what he would have done. And I imagine, he, like your Grandfather and most young men at the time were just shit scared young men being sent to their senseless deaths on the whim of Generals and Politicians sat far away from reality. His surname is irrelevant.

I would say you want to get your facts right on all of your comments, for instance:-“The German embassy can find a good lawyer to help

me,” said Mr Kraus, who was born in Berlin but has been an Australian citizen for decades.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/world/australian-93-on-asian-childsex-charges-20130305-2fhhs.html#ixzz2S6ZpnMX6

Most Australians volunteered to fight in the 2nd World War when war was declared against Germany by the British.

However during the Vietnam War at least 50% of Australians were conscripted. Me being one of them.

Since the Vietnam war, all Australian Military who fight anywhere in the world volunteered to do service and fight for freedom.

What facts are these ozemade? You don't list any, rather support what Gentleman Jim had already stated . . . and if you're going to throw in a statement like 'most Australians volunteered to fight' then I'd like to see your facts backed up, please, because I know enough whose grandparents didn't.

Vietnam has zero to do with it, neither does any war since.

So, one sentence the old guy said about lawyers from the German embassy makes you think he's not an Aussie . . . and while you're quoting why not quote in context, or would that undermine your 'point'?

he complained his lawyer was a “fake” and where he complained the Australian officials were not doing enough for him

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/world/australian-93-on-asian-childsex-charges-20130305-2fhhs.html#ixzz2S71sIMMO

Again, in relation to your father's witty comment . . . what has his surname got to do with his nationality? I'm sure you and your father are Aboriginals?

sorry but I know it's all about innocent until proven guilty BUT why when people get old or ill, do we suddenly decide the complainants don't have the right to have the plaintiff accused anymore?!

IF he is guilty - the girls he accused have to deal the the consequences of his abuse for the rest of their lives - why should he be forgiven and allowed to go home and live his last months/years comfortably when they have to live the rest of their lives uncomfortably

IF he is guilty - he made the decision to abuse them and so he SHOULD live with the consequences no matter what his health - prisons and courts are perfectly equipped to deal with old/sick people

If it turns out he's not guilty then fine and it's a shame he had to go through this - but in all seriousness they wouldn't press charges unless there was some pretty compelling evidence anyway, so I'm guessing he's probably guilty

I guess I'm just saying the girls have the right to accuse the person they say abused them and have the right to have the case taken to trial!

Alli can say is, let him go home and die at home coffee1.gif

Thailand has more other problems to look at in the back garden rolleyes.gifwhistling.gif

Maybe you would like to think for just a second how YOU would feel if this nonce abused your children.....

guilty as proven - saves the problem of running a trial.

I hope he doesn't get found not guilty and read this diatribe on here.

Just let the system do its job.

I am sure he would be very happy to read the diatribe on here in exchange for being found not guilty.

I do agree though, let the system do its job. I just wish they would do it quickly, they seem to be hoping for him to pass away before the trial is complete.