Incredibly Stupid Of Me But I Forgot To Renew Visa! Help.

Hi. So embarrassed to post this. We have had a
multiple entry visa renewed every year for the past seven years in the
UK. We are over 50 and retired but only stay in Koh Samui for around five
months each year. I arrived today and was advised our visas were out of
date - totally my fault as I have been travelling and had totally overlooked
this. Feel like a complete pillock. Problem is that our return
flight to the UK isn't till the end of September and our planned visa run is to
the Maldives (in 75 days time) so not exactly somewhere we can organise things
from. We came in on a 30 day normal tourist visa so I need to get
something sorted out. I can think of lots of potential scenarios
but have no idea which are feasible. I'm guessing I need to head back
to the airport immigration and beg? I just wonder what I can
reasonably ask for as I really don't want to have to return to the UK.
Thanks in anticipation.

You can't beg for anything at the airport, but before your current 30-day permission to stay expires you can go to a nearby Thai consulate (eg Vientiane, Savannakhet, Penang, Kuala Lumpur) and get a single-entry tourist visa and upon return to Thailand receive permission to stay for 60 days. This will cover you until you fly to the Maldives.

• Like 2

There is no normal 30 day Tourist Visa, perhaps you made a visa exempt entry, a Tourist Visa entry is good for 60 days. I would exit the country and apply in a neighboring country for an actual Tourist Visa, that would allow a stay of 60 days, and can be extended if necessary, for 30 days for 1900 Baht.

Edited by beechguy
  • Like 1

Thanks for this. I am beginning to form a picture. I do have reason to go to Singapore so if I leave before the 30 days expire I guess on return I could get a visa for 60 days to get me to the Maldives. But when returning from the Maldives I have another 75 day stay planned - would this be possible with one more visa run? Is it possible to FEDEX passports to the UK to renew visas?

Thanks for this. I am beginning to form a picture. I do have reason to go to Singapore so if I leave before the 30 days expire I guess on return I could get a visa for 60 days to get me to the Maldives. But when returning from the Maldives I have another 75 day stay planned - would this be possible with one more visa run? Is it possible to FEDEX passports to the UK to renew visas?

would this be possible with one more visa run?

Yes.

Is it possible to FEDEX passports to the UK to renew visas?

No.

Maybe you can change your flight from the Maldives back, to a city who has a Thai Consulate,before coming to Thailand?

Think Maldives has no Thai Consulate.

http://www.thaiembassy.org/main/

You can also extend your 60 days Tourist Visa inside Thailand at an Immigration for 30 more days for 1.900 Baht fee.

It would be so much easier to advise the OP if we had details of his planned travel itinerary, wouldn't it? We are talking about tourist visas giving permission to stay for 60 days, possibility of extension of 30 days, but at the moment we do not know

1. the expiration date of his current permission to stay
  2. the flight date to Maldives
  3. the return date to Thailand
  4. the subsequent departure date from Thailand
  • Like 1

As recommended - popping over to a neighbouring country is probably your best option.

However, as you spend a lot of time in Thailand and you are both over 50, you could possibly get yourselves on retirement Visa's, you need to read a few threads on here to learn about the financial requirements ( a lot of money is needed or good pensions/income) and how you can do it on your current stamp etc.. but it may be another option unless someone more knowledgeable corrects me.

Definitely not the most hassle free experience, especially for only 5 months a year but maybe you plan to spend more time here in future, and would prefer to just renew it every year and stay as long as you like without worrying about 60 days, 90 days etc.. (you will need to know about re-entry permits also)

• Like 1

12 Month Extensions for retirement require 800,000 Baht in a Thai bank for a period of 2 months before applying.

OR 65,000 Baht monthly income.

OR a combination of the two.

The fee is 1,900 Baht.

This might be worth considering if you qualify.

• Like 1

You cannot get a Visa at the arirport. When you arrive at an airport you recieve an visa "exemption" that is not a Visa it is a permission to stay in the Kingdom. You obtain Toruist Visas at Embassies and Consulates outside of Thailand. When you go to Singapore, go to the Thai Embassy there and obtain a Tourist Visa. There is a huge difference between a Visa, an visa exemption, permission to stay, extension of stay they are all different animals.

There is a Thai consulate in the Maldives. http://www.thaiconsulate.com.mv/

Contact info: http://www.thaiconsulate.com.mv/contact.php

Visa info:http://www.thaiconsulate.com.mv/visa_application.php

If you don't want to go the extension route to get a longer stay I suggest you make a trip to a nearby embassy or consulate and get single entry non-o visas based upon being over 50 verses getting tourist visas that would give you a 90 day entry. And then do the same while you are in the Maldives. These visas would be less costly overall than tourist visas because you would not need to get the 30 day extension of stay.

This is absolutely brilliant information - thank you all. It seems like I have several options and don't have to go back to the UK so that is a huge relief. Before facing the authorities I want to be sure of my ground so have shortlisted under. If any of my thinking is wrong or you don't think will work I would appreciate feedback. Particular thanks to tropo for full solution which is my (much better than expected) fall back position. Maestro - my current visa waiver runs out on the 29th of May. I fly to the Maldives on July 10 and return July 24. I then fly back to UK on 26th September. We have the finance to qualify for a full retirement visa. Our previous 7 multiple entry visas were O and granted as we are retired.

Option 1. Fedex our passports and multiple entry visa application back to the UK now and get friends to take into Thai embassy and pick up and Fedex back. Not sure how this might work and if they will issue visa while we are in Thailand?

Option 2: Go to Immigration Office in Samui and apply for retirement visa. Not sure if I can do this with my waiver or need a 60 day visa to do this? Wonder if my visa history would stand in good stead?

Option 3: Go to Singapore before 29th (I have friends there so it is a good excuse) and get single entry 60 day tourist visa for return. Then (a) go to Maldives and get second 60 day single entry tourist visa for return then extend for 30 days. Will this double entry affect my getting a multiple entry visa for next trip - I seem to remember there are some limits on these? Or (B) on return from Singapore apply for retirement visa per Option 2.

Option 4. Per tropo go to Laos. Is there somewhere I can look to confirm embassy open, make appointment, be sure what docs I need etc?

Thanks again for all your help. This is a great resource for twits like me.

1. As you were told you can not obtain a Thai visa while in Thailand so even if it is stamped in passport it would not be valid for use. You are required to have passport available at all times while in Thailand.

2. Normally at least 15 days remaining is required and not all immigration offices do so might require trip to Bangkok to obtain the non immigrant visa portion. You would apply for 90 day non immigrant visa entry in process of retirement extension of stay.

3. No problem getting non immigrant or retirement extensions after having tourist visas.

4. Embassy is open non holidays M-F and applications are in morning with pickup next afternoon.

http://vientiane.thaiembassy.org/vientiane/en/consular/consular_check/

The Thai embassy/consulate in the UK will want to see you Thai exit stamps before granting a visa, so NO it is not possible to FEDEX your passport back to the UK and get a visa while still in Thailand.

• Like 1

I know many seasonal residents who have retirement visas (and extensions due to retirement) and they're only in Thailand 4 - 6 months each year. They prefer it because it's cheaper and easier than managing a multi-entry tourist visa. No border runs, just the need to go to Immigration to do 90 day reports.

The trick is to be sure to time the expiration of the permission to stay for a time of year when you plan to be in Thailand. You can obtain a 12-month extension just during the final 30 days of your current 12-month extension, although there are reports that some offices will let you extend up to 60 days early if you can show travel documents to prove you won't be in the country during the final 30 days.

Edited by NancyL

Option 1. Fedex our passports and multiple entry visa application back to the UK now and get friends to take into Thai embassy and pick up and Fedex back. Not sure how this might work and if they will issue visa while we are in Thailand?

This is illegal, you cannot apply for a visa whilst you are in Thailand.. They probably wouldn't issue anyway if they see no exit stamp.

I had 2 passports and decided to this a few years ago by sending one back to UK, but I had to spend a few days in Malaysia whilst the stamp was put in.

A friendly immigration policeman advised this.

12 Month Extensions for retirement require 800,000 Baht in a Thai bank for a period of 2 months before applying.

OR 65,000 Baht monthly income.

OR a combination of the two.

The fee is 1,900 Baht.

This might be worth considering if you qualify.

This 65000 baht, is this bruto or a netto monthly income??????

It would be so much easier to advise the OP if we had details of his planned travel itinerary, wouldn't it? We are talking about tourist visas giving permission to stay for 60 days, possibility of extension of 30 days, but at the moment we do not know

1. the expiration date of his current permission to stay
  2. the flight date to Maldives
  3. the return date to Thailand
  4. the subsequent departure date from Thailand

We've been given these details already.

1. He arrived yesterday - so it expires in 30 days from yesterday.

2. The flight to Maldives is 75 days from yesterday.

3. Don't know this but it doesn't matter as the tourist visa is valid for 90 days from issue.

4. He wants 75 days after he returns and he's leaving at the end of September.

My suggestion is perfectly valid and fits in with his itinerary.

Edit: have just read his post stating exact dates. 30 day entry expires May 29. Leaving for Maldives on July 10, returning July 24. Leaving Thailand September 26. All fits fine.

Edited by tropo
  • Like 1

Just to clarify... if you do a 'visa run' to Singapore or wherever... then of course you both will need to go together to exit the country and re-enter with new visas gotten in Singapore.

Definitely do not go asking any immigration for mercy or special exception. You wont get it.

On the basis of the available information I do not see the OP qualified for a "new 1 year multi visa", a multiple-entry non-immigrant visa from the Thai consulate in Penang.

You can't beg for anything at the airport, but before your current 30-day permission to stay expires you can go to a nearby Thai consulate (eg Vientiane, Savannakhet, Penang, Kuala Lumpur) and get a single-entry tourist visa and upon return to Thailand receive permission to stay for 60 days. This will cover you until you fly to the Maldives.

Your exactly right Maestro.. I made the same mistake two years ago.. tried everything, had people with stroke trying to talk the immigration in to giving me a break, no luck. Had to do what you suggest. You can't change the 30 day permission to stay into any other visa. Had to go to Lao's. coffee1.gif

Actually you can change such an entry into a non immigrant O visa entry in the extension of stay process for retirement/Thai wife with 15 days or more remaining at cost of 2,000 baht. But that is only available if you qualify for such extensions of stay and may require travel to Bangkok to obtain.

There is no normal 30 day Tourist Visa, perhaps you made a visa exempt entry, a Tourist Visa entry is good for 60 days. I would exit the country and apply in a neighboring country for an actual Tourist Visa, that would allow a stay of 60 days, and can be extended if necessary, for 30 days for 1900 Baht.

HMMM - Either I misunderstand, or things have changed. About 6 years ago, I got 2 90 day visas from the Thai Embassy in Vientienne - one after the other... Got smart and converted the second one to 1Year...

I don't think you converted anything to a one year visa - perhaps you mean you extended your stay for one year using TM.7 form at an immigration office for a valid reason?

As to what you obtained from Vientiane was it a non immigrant visa or tourist visa? The permitted to stay time on non immigrant entry is 90 days but on tourist 60 days for most people - but both visas are valid for entry for a period of 90 days from date of issue.

Final plan. Unless someone says otherwise. I would love to go to Laos as we haven't been but to go under duress is a negative and we came back to Samui to rest after long travels so just not in the zone.

We plan to head to Singapore and get a single entry 60 day visa within the next couple of weeks (but within 60 days of going to the Maldives) so we are covered for now.

Immediately on return from Singapore we will go to immigration in Samui and apply for a retirement visa. If successful (can't see why not unless you tell me otherwise) then game over.

If not we will go to Maldives and get a second 60 day visa for return and extend when back.

If we can't swing it in the Maldives (in Male on weekends) we will come back to Samui for 30 days on waiver and do another visa run for 60 day tourist visa.

In October back to the UK and immediately renew,

I think this works but if there are any flaws please advise.

Again thanks.