Bangkok Is Asia's 13Th Most-Polluted City

webfact

Some one should tell the BiB they could make a fortune from testing exhaust emissions, the amount of emissions coming out of all types of badly maintained vehicles is beyond belief.

These days when I pull up at traffic lights I look at the other exhausts to see which one's are splattering out oil and the like, then manoeuvre away from them. I don't understand why the Thai authorities are not clamping down on this.

Exhaust fumes are choking the city.

Exhaust is tested every year when doing the yearly reqistration for cars 7 years or older.

That does not mean that anything is done about a car with bad exhaust coffee1.gif

Edited by oldsailor35

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is true that Bangkok can have some bad haze days, but it could be much worse. 2 stroke motorcycles are long gone and soon all diesel busses will be replaced by CNG busses. Hopefully tuk tuk's will be next to leave the city.

From memory I feel it was worse 10 years ago, so it is slowly getting better.

Hopefully, with their drivers still behing the wheel.

Polution solved!!

I lived in 2 Chinese cities and the cleaner of the two was often worse than Bangkok. Traveled throughout China and almost all of the cities were much much worse than Bkk. Simply, Almost ALL Chinese cities are much worse than Bangkok - Wuhan's air was an orange soup when I was there causing me to cough for days after leaving. The U.S. Consulate in Shanghai has international standard air quality readings and they are usually 3 to 5 times higher than the Chinese readings. (Would guess the embassy in Beijing is doing their readings as well.) So, Bangkok is the 13th most polluted city in Asia if you believe the numbers coming out of all of the countries in Asia. NOT!

My lungs tell me nothing has gotten better in the last 12 years. I yearn to retire and leave the city for some clean air.

Did you know, that if all the soy dogs in Bangkok "farted" all at once the methane gas content would be so high that if somebody struck a match, it would blow Bangkok off the face of the map of Thailand.

On those lines, especially in the dry season, have you ever wondered about the amount of soi dog poo that eventually dries in the heat and then becomes part of the dust that blows around and you are breathing.sick.gif

My mate reckons he will only breathe the air in BKK if it has been filtered through a Marlboro.

It is true that Bangkok can have some bad haze days, but it could be much worse. 2 stroke motorcycles are long gone and soon all diesel busses will be replaced by CNG busses. Hopefully tuk tuk's will be next to leave the city.

Strange .... 1 - 20 are all in China ....

World's 20 Most Polluted Cities:

According to the World Bank's report, 19 of the world's 20 most polluted cities are in Asia, and every year 2 millions of deaths are attributed to pollution. Here we list the 20 most polluted cities on the world.

01.New Delhi, India 177

02. Kairo, Egypt 159

03. Calcutta, India 145

04. Tianjin, Hebei Province of China 139

05. Chongqing, China 137

06. Lucknow, India 129

07. Kanpur, India 128

08. Jakarta, Indonesia 115

09. Shenyang, Liaoning Province of China 112

10. Zhenzhou, Henan Province of China 108

11. Jinan, Shandong Province of China 104

12. Lanzhou, Gansu Province of China101

13. Beijing, China 99

14. Taiyuan, Shanxi Province of China 98

15. Ahmedabad, India 98

16. Chengdu, Sichuan Province of China 95

17. Anshan, Liaoning Province of China 92

18. Wuhan, Hubei Province of China 88

19. Nanchang, Jiangxi Province of China 87

20. Haerbin, Heilongjiang Province of China 85

World's Top 10 Most Polluted Places

1. Sumqayit, Azerbaijan

2. Chernobyl, Ukraine

3. DzerzHinsk, Russia

4. Kabwe, Zambia

5. La Oroya, Peru

6. Linfen, China

7. Norilsk, Russia

8. Sukinda, India

9. Tianying, China

10. Vapi, India

Source: http://www.asianoffbeat.com/default.asp?display=856

those yearly Po-Ro-Bo tests are a joke. last time I deliberately tested my car with worn out breaks and I got a pass. not to mention dozens of other safety tests that are not mandatory. as far as I know the authorities don't force people to change their old polluting cars because they simply don't have the money to upgrade. this is a regular policy in Thailand where most people live in poverty

That's a tough competition to rank high upon. At this site which ranks the cities with the dirtiest air worldwide, THE TOP 68 CITIES are in Asia. Thailand has 9 cities in the top 68,

Where does Chiang Mai rank during slash and burn season?

....and Chiang Mai is one of them, right above my town of Chiang Rai.

Some one should tell the BiB they could make a fortune from testing exhaust emissions, the amount of emissions coming out of all types of badly maintained vehicles is beyond belief.

These days when I pull up at traffic lights I look at the other exhausts to see which one's are splattering out oil and the like, then manoeuvre away from them. I don't understand why the Thai authorities are not clamping down on this.

Exhaust fumes are choking the city.

Exhaust is tested every year when doing the yearly reqistration for cars 7 years or older.

Tested by who?

Did you actually ever see one of those tests you mention?

Nothing is tested, ever.

You pay a fee, get your stamp and that's it.

Yep, seen a done it. Brakes and exhaust tested, stamped and approved.

Do u have car?

One year my car was "inspected" on paper only. No real physical inspection occurred. Not proud, just saying it is possible for an inspection to happen like this; maybe even probable.

and Chiang Mai is one of them, right above my town of Chiang Rai.

Chiang Rai province is far worst than CM province during the burning season. ChiangMai might be a touch worst being in a basin that it is.

• Like 1

According to the World Bank's report, 19 of the world's 20 most polluted cities are in Asia, and every year 2 millions of deaths are attributed to pollution. Here we list the 20 most polluted cities on the world.

01.New Delhi, India 177

02. Kairo, Egypt 159

03. Calcutta, India 145

05. Chongqing, China 137

06. Lucknow, India 129

07. Kanpur, India 128

13. Beijing, China 99

15. Ahmedabad, India 98

1. Sumqayit, Azerbaijan

2. Chernobyl, Ukraine

3. DzerzHinsk, Russia

4. Kabwe, Zambia

5. La Oroya, Peru

6. Linfen, China

7. Norilsk, Russia

8. Sukinda, India

9. Tianying, China

10. Vapi, India

Crikey Japan never got a mention but Chernobil did, just cant trust the World Bank report.

As far as Thailand goes and Bangkok pollution, they hardly ever service their vehicles, air cleaner, fuel filter, oil filter, have the injectors serviced what a joke, that would cost money. There are millions of these trucks, busses and cars belting out the black stuff and a lot of them are Gov vehicles. Let alone the slash and burning that goes on all over the country. Waste of a report as nothing will change.

01.New Delhi, India 177

02. Kairo, Egypt 159

03. Calcutta, India 145

05. Chongqing, China 137

06. Lucknow, India 129

07. Kanpur, India 128

13. Beijing, China 99

15. Ahmedabad, India 98

1. Sumqayit, Azerbaijan

2. Chernobyl, Ukraine

3. DzerzHinsk, Russia

4. Kabwe, Zambia

5. La Oroya, Peru

6. Linfen, China

7. Norilsk, Russia

8. Sukinda, India

9. Tianying, China

10. Vapi, India

Now i am really confused. You say 1 - 20 are all in China. I didn't realise that New Delhi, Cairo, and Calcutta were in China. You learn something new every day!

I took my little Honda 2 stroke for it's annual tax and insurance last month. All they did was take the frame number in the form of a rubbing on some masking tape. 2 hours later I pick up my papers. I do try to keep my bike in a serviced condition, but what of all the other bikes on the road. A lot of them wouldn't be safe being ridden round a field, let alone on the road. Oh well, same old same old..

Congratulations to the thai government (department) to agree at risk of losing their face LOL that they are one of the worst polluated city ! But the citylife is still better and enjoyful than the f... Beijing of my b... ! The Bangkokians can ever see the "blue blue sky... And all that I can see is just a yellow lemon-tree"

and Chiang Mai is one of them, right above my town of Chiang Rai.

Chiang Rai province is far worst than CM province during the burning season. ChiangMai might be a touch worst being in a basin that it is.

The main road near my house in Chiang Rai is sooooo bad with dump trucks loaded with fill dirt - that riding that road on a motorbike gets grains of dry clay and sand in teeth and eyes. Even so, I'll have to say that C.Mai is worse, because of the multiple numbers of cars and trucks, and complete lack of public transport. Note, on a list of 30 worst cities ww, Pattaya and Phuket were mentioned - so even being by a seashore is no guarantee of clean air. Of course, the gold medal for worst air in a Thai city goes to Bangkok. If they could bottle the black smoke that farts out of city buses, and sell it for 2 satang a bottle, they would be rich.

Article in UK Guardian newspaper today about pollution in UK cities caused by vehicles. I wonder how most asian cities compare with their black smoke belching buses & trucks. i live out in the countryside near Chiang Mai & smoke from burning is a big problem. But I believe the nasty pollution is in the city of Chiang Mai where all the cars & diesel pickups are.

... no link in the original Nation article ...

...Googled on the organization, but could not find the actual study...

Results (or essential details on the study) are likely misreported, because Bangkok is nowhere near 13th on the WHO list.

Summary: it's a newspaper article with a number in it: Next!

Thais who count don't spend any time breathing outdoor air in Bangkok. They shuttle from their closed off gated houses to Paragon and other malls in their chauffeured cars untouched by human hands.

I hope you mean Thai's who count to you.

Don't try to drag me into your I am better than them group.

I say if you do not like the free smog and pollution of Bangkok leave Thailand.

Your responds is somewhat barmy, nobody likes any type of smog / pollution because it causes health problems, thus your reply should have been ... if the air-pollution causes you health problems then I suggest you should leave Thailand.

I thought he was saying he liked it.wai2.gif

Maybe he is in training for the Beijing smog.clap2.gif

01.New Delhi, India 177

02. Kairo, Egypt 159

03. Calcutta, India 145

05. Chongqing, China 137

06. Lucknow, India 129

07. Kanpur, India 128

13. Beijing, China 99

15. Ahmedabad, India 98

1. Sumqayit, Azerbaijan

2. Chernobyl, Ukraine

3. DzerzHinsk, Russia

4. Kabwe, Zambia

5. La Oroya, Peru

6. Linfen, China

7. Norilsk, Russia

8. Sukinda, India

9. Tianying, China

10. Vapi, India

Now i am really confused. You say 1 - 20 are all in China. I didn't realise that New Delhi, Cairo, and Calcutta were in China. You learn something new every day!

What does the world bank know about pollution.

I can sit down and write a list and be just as inaccurate as them.

Every other survey shows Ulan Bator as being the worst. They don't even have them on the list.

Memory loss is one of the top indicators from breathing bad air. :)

• Like 1

The other list, from:

http://www.traveldailynews.asia/news/article/51430/asia-has-the-world-rsquo-s-most

Seems they forgot quite a few cities in their "13-Most".

Annual mean PM10 ug/m3

1. Ulan Bataar -279

2. Ludhiana - 251

3. Quetta - 251

4. Peshawar - 219

5. Kanpur - 209

6. Lahore - 200

7. New Delhi - 198

8. Karachi -193

9. Islamabad - 189

10. Lucknow - 186

11. Rawalpindi - 185

12. Indore - 174

13. Agra - 165

14. Langzhou -150

15. Kolkata - 148

16. Xining - 141

17. Urumqi - 140

18. Dhaka - 134

19. Mumbai -132

20. Jinan - 123

21. Beijing - 121

22. Xian - 113

23. Jaipur - 112

24. Medan - 111

25. Chengdu - 111

26. Shenyang -110

27. Varanasi (Benares) - 106

28. Kathmandu Valley - 106

29. Nanjing - 100

30. Hangzhou - 97

31. Yangon - 96

32. Bangalore - 90

33. Mandalay - 87

34. Hyderabad - 87

35. Shanghai - 81

36. Guangzhou - 70

37. Surabaya -69

38. Pusan - 68

39. Kunming - 67

40. Klang Valley - 65

41. Seoul - 64

42. Seongnam & Daegu - 64

43. Saraburi - 59

44. Bangkok - 54

45. Shah Alam - 54

46. Incheon - 54

47. Johor Bahru - 52

48. Ayutthaya - 51

49. Bandung - 51

50. Hong Kong - 50

51. Lhasa - 50

52. Nanning - 50

53. Kuala Lumpur - 49

54. Chennai (Madras) - 48

55. Metro Manila - 47

56. Nakhon Ratchasima - 47

57. Jakarta - 43

58. Ipoh - 42

59. Chiang Mai - 42

60. Haikou - 38

61. Chiang Rai - 33

62. Sandakan - 33

63. Singapore - 29

64. Phuket - 28

65. Chonburi (Pattaya) - 27

66. Osaka - 27

67. Khon Kaen - 24

68. Tokyo - 23

69. Brisbane - 18

70. Christchurch - 17

71. Auckland - 15

72. Perth - 13

73. Sydney - 12

74. Wellington - 11

75. Pekanbaru -11

78. Canberra - 10

Edited by tools4fools

No your memory is not slowly getting better and the pollution is worse.cheesy.gif