Thaksin Expresses Wish To Return To Thailand Without Seeking Any Position

webfact

Deposed Thai PM Thaksin expresses wish to return home without seeking any position
by Ming Dajun

BANGKOK, May 1 (Xinhua) -- Thai deposed Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra expressed a strong wish to return to his home country in a meeting via Skype with the ruling Pheu Thai Party on Tuesday, government sources said.

"I want to come home. Tell the Democrat Party not to worry. If I come back, I don't want anything, I won't ask for any positions. let Prime Minister Yingluck [shinawatra] continue to run the country."

Thaksin, who was widely believed to the party's de facto leader, said he supported a reconciliation bill proposed by Deputy Prime Minister Chalerm Yubamrung, according to a Bangkok Post report on Wednesday.

The Chalerm's bill is aimed at clearing the way for bringing Thaksin back home.Chalerm said Tuesday he would ask the people who have proposed different versions of reconciliation and amnesty bills to withdraw them from parliament. The bills would be incorporated into his version to be submitted as a single bill to the House.

According to Pheu Thai Party sources, Thaksin discussed with the deputy prime minister on the reconciliation bill, and urged him to press ahead with the bill.Chalerm said his bill had been vetted by the Council of State and will be considered by Pheu Thai. If the party agrees with it, he will push for three straight readings when parliament reconvenes in August.

The bill seeks amnesty for all those who committed political offences from the beginning of 2006, the year of the coup which ousted Thaksin, until the bill becomes law.

Under the bill, any ongoing judicial and court proceedings against political offenders must be stopped and any convictions and punishments must be annulled, Chalerm said.

The bill seeks to grant amnesty to rank-and-file protesters, protest leaders and state authorities involved in clashes with protesters.

Full story: http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/world/2013-05/01/c_132352081.htm

-- XINHUA 2013-05-01

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All this coming from the most honest person in Thailand

Then again ... he does not need a political position ... he is already running Thailand via a puppet

Yes, you don't need to ask for something you already have

• Like 1

If he was really interested in coming back without a seeking a position, he would keep out of Thai politics now. How could anyone believe that statement given his current involvement?

Of course, what would happen is that he wouldn't "seek" a position. He would "be given" a position because "that's what the people want".

If I remember correctly he has said in the post he would of course get back into politics etc if " the people " wanted and needed him. Of course he'll be wanted and needed if he's gets back as the sheep will be told they do.

• Like 2

The thing that really must stick in his craw is he is the only hi so to ever get convicted to jail time! i expect many politicians don't want him to come back and go to prison as it would set a much needed precedent of know one being to big to break the law and do time!

• Like 1

The thing that really must stick in his craw is he is the only hi so to ever get convicted to jail time! i expect many politicians don't want him to come back and go to prison as it would set a much needed precedent of know one being to big to break the law and do time!

Others have been convicted. They usually get released on bail to appeal. Justice if VEEERRRY slow in Thailand.

• Like 1

Mr T can return home any time he likes. He will be ensured a warm welcome from his followers, both ordinary Thais and those in his government. He should expect garlands around his neck but also handcuffs around his wrists as he is led first to his press conference and then to the police station. He is right not to expect any position as even in Thailand you cannot be a jailbird and hold political office at the same time.

But will he want to serve his time? He could argue no other wealthy Thai ever seems to so why should he? And then there is a plethora of other charges which were put to one side before he did a runner from the law. They will take so long to process in Thailand courts it's doubtful he will ever serve time for them even if he is found guilty so they probably aren't an issue.

See you soon, Mr T.

Edited by bigbamboo
  • Like 2

Others have been convicted. They usually get released on bail to appeal. Justice if VEEERRRY slow in Thailand.

Your correct of course. Could Thaksin not appeal now? and come back? Surely in the Thai legal system there is some way he could appeal from where he is, delayed due to some strange circumstance etc Could they give him some type of Government position, and then come back when parliament is in session and he would have immunity for a period of time.

Your correct of course. Could Thaksin not appeal now? and come back? Surely in the Thai legal system there is some way he could appeal from where he is, delayed due to some strange circumstance etc Could they give him some type of Government position, and then come back when parliament is in session and he would have immunity for a period of time.

He had a set period of time to appeal after the verdict. I don't think he had to be here to appeal. He didn't appeal in the specified time frame, so now it's too late.

Go to Jail. Go directly to Jail. Do Not Pass Go. Do Not Collect B2.1 Trillion. Do Not Expect Bail. Do Expect Lengthy Sentences for your Other Crimes.

He can share a cell with Sondhi Limthongkul http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-17187561

but then Sondhi is not in jail is he

but then......reminds me when my son was six years old. He was throwing rocks at the next door neighbor's mail box. Neighbor brought him to me. Told my son it was wrong and why he was doing this. "But daddy my friend was throwing rocks so I did it too". Thus the infamous "but" excuse.

Unfortunately for Mr Thaksin he made a few enemies when Prime Minister , I think about the UN enquires into human rights abuses in the Nth, supposedly drug traffickers , then there was that little matter down Sth , yes, all these families would love Mr Thaksin to come home.cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Btw...what happened about his illegally issued thai passport?

Good question - he is not traveling on his Thai passport . . . does he even have the right to seek residence in Thailand as Thais cannot be dual nationals? Hmm . . . rolleyes.gif

Having said that, even if the amnesty is granted or all political crimes to be whitewashed, not all his crimes are of the politically-minded type, or are they saying that criminal matters will also be expunged?