Poll: Foreigners In Thailand: When You're Here, Do You Consider Yourself A "guest" Of Thailand?

Jingthing

The semantics of the word GUEST  

305 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

John Wayne in "Red River" : " I come to this world with nothing, I leave this world with nothing. The Lord giveth and the Lord taketh." I came to this world as a guest and when I leave it, my guest status will be obsolete

• Like 1

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No I do not consider myself a 'Guest'.

I pay more taxes here than almost any Thai I have ever met and obey more laws here than most Thais would consider 'decent'.

Take my money... Take my f'king opinions too.

So you do not consider yourself a guest if you are living in Thailand. Now all you need to do is convince the Government, the Police, Immigration and the Thai public to share your views on this subject, as our opinions or whatever status we consider we have here, means nothing unless it has official backing and support.

Of course we are guests and as foreigners have very few statutory rights here in Thailand. We can be thrown out on the whim at anytime

Because they have guns and the legal authority to use force against us, you will never convince them of anything. But that doesn't mean they are correct.

• Like 2

Regardless of the poll results, examining this definition of guest, I'm now wondering if considering ourselves guests of an entire nation is simply incorrect:

http://oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/guest

From this definition, being invited is one definition. The country doesn't invite us. A visa isn't an invitation: you APPLY for a visa. You can also be a guest in a hotel and of course generally you just book or show up at a hotel and are not invited. So guest can be used for situations of being invited and also not being invited. So you could stretch it and see Thailand as a hotel where you stay and they never invited you. But I don't think that makes sense. A hotel is one thing, an entire nation something else. That's the key I think, if you really can see a nation the same way as a hotel.

Generally we need visas or even a 30 day stamp is a sort of official permission to stay in Thailand. You don't need a visa to get invited to dinner as a guest. To stay at a hotel, you can pay with a VISA card, but again you don't need a visa.

Does staying/visiting a foreign country really fit with the word guest? I think not so much.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

'' Your a guest in my country ''

'' Your a visitor to my country ''

I don't know?

You're an illiterate in my country.

Learn to speak Thai.

Bitt haersh SC.

My interpritation, did all understand his post, I did. anoying I acept, the 'your' bit, but hey-ho, not mutch rong eith the rest of my post.

To all http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/Gwynnes-Grammar-NM-Gwynne/9780091951450 so all of our posts can be grammatically free

guest? However, doesn't it involve showing respect for one's guests, providing for their needs, and treating them as equals. I think we are not even guests in this country , if we were guests then we would be treated fairly and with respect .. are we guests ....I dont think so.

OK,.. what would be your interpretation be then? In terminoligy of a Noun?

Edited by Mossfinn

A guest is always on duty as a representative of his country and should be gracious and well mannered at all times.

Sounds exhausting!

Another great reason not to consider ourselves guests in Thailand.

• Like 1

A guest is always on duty as a representative of his country and should be gracious and well mannered at all times.

Sounds exhausting!

It is exhausting but it's also a duty. Everyone these days has rights but few regard themselves as having duties.

• Like 1

Sounds exhausting!

It is exhausting but it's also a duty. Everyone these days has rights but few regard themselves as having duties.

No thanks.

Sounds exhausting!

No thanks.

We must all live our lives according to our conscience.

JT, it depends on the definition of guest you use and the context in which it is used.

No, we are not guests in the sense that we are allowed to stay in Thailand free of charge, as someone you invite into your home.

Yes, we are guests in the sense that the powers that be in Thailand allow us to stay in country as long as we meet the provisos for our stay, which includes suitable income to cover our living expenses.

BTW, I answered Yes to the poll

I don't spend much time in LOS these days but when I do I don't consider myself as a guest. KSR backpackers and FIFO whore mongers IMO are guests.

To answer the question do I feel like a guest when I am in Thailand? the answer is not I don't.

I realised a long time ago the bottom line is that farang are only ever going to amount to tourists. I like Australia and raise my children as Aussies but given the fact I have made many many trips to LOS over the past 11 years, have a house on my wifes land in Thailand and extended family in Thailand, I have developed a sence of belonging, wright or wrong.

Thailand is not my home by any means but I never feel like a guest when I'm there.

Edited by damo

Guests get treated well, usually are given food/drink and shelter and a smile. The host may even wait on the guest hand and foot... Im not a guest thailand. I pay my way. Just my definition of the word i guess.

• Like 2

When I return to Thailand from overseas, I do indeed feel like a guest.

I'm welcomed with open arms by the gf ... laugh.png

The Farm mother will have prepared some special food.

The Farm dogs are happy to see me.

The mozzies are more then pleased ... dry.png

But, JT, I know that's not the thrust or intent of your OP.

Yeh, I voted 'Guest', I feel like a guest ... I feel welcomed.

I'm surprised at the results so far. I figured a small majority would say NOT GUEST.

What term do you think best fits the description of foreign residents in Thailand that do not officially hold residency status?

I'm surprised at the results so far. I figured a small majority would say NOT GUEST.

What term do you think best fits the description of foreign residents in Thailand that do not officially hold residency status?

Non-immigrants.

Provisional Residents.

Expats.

Definitely NOT guests.

As I said before, I NEVER referred to foreigners with any status (or not status) in my home country as guests, so why would I ever consider myself a guest in a foreign country?

Edited by Jingthing

Guests get treated well, usually are given food/drink and shelter and a smile. The host may even wait on the guest hand and foot... Im not a guest thailand. I pay my way. Just my definition of the word i guess.

Wanna try being a "guest" of Her Majesty's pleasure for a couple of years.....................sad.png