Woman Who Ran Secret Prison In Thailand Bypassed As Top Spy

Woman who ran secret prison bypassed as top spy
By The Associated Press ADAM GOLDMAN (Associated Press), KIMBERLY DOZIER (Associated Press)

WASHINGTON - (AP) -- One of the CIA's highest-ranking women, who once ran a CIA prison in Thailand where terror suspects were waterboarded, has been bypassed for the agency's top spy job.

The officer, who remains undercover, was a finalist for the job and would have become the first female chief of clandestine operations.

As one of the last remaining senior CIA officers who held leadership roles in the agency's interrogation and detention program, however, she was a politically risky pick.

Sen. Dianne Feinstein, the Senate Intelligence Committee's top Democrat, has criticized the interrogation program and personally urged CIA Director John Brennan not to promote the woman, according to a former senior intelligence briefed on the call.

Full story: http://newjersey.news12.com/news/nation-world/woman-who-ran-secret-prison-bypassed-as-top-spy-1.5214974?firstfree=yes

-- New Jersey News 2013-05-08

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have heard that the prison is now in Dubai, how true this is one cannot tell ,as you really can't believe anything out of Thailand, similar problem arises with China , but that's another story.cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Edited by chainarong

Stupid ass liberal politicians who know nothing about various jobs in the government screwing over people qualified to do a job because of politics.

Sen. Feinstein was not alone in her position. I don't suppose that it matters that a more appropriate person was selected?

'the head of the CIA's Latin American Division, a former station chief in Pakistan who former officials said once ran the covert action that helped remove Serbian President Slobodan Milosevic from power. That program is regarded inside the CIA as a blueprint for running a successful peaceful covert action.'

• Like 1

Stupid ass liberal politicians who know nothing about various jobs in the government screwing over people qualified to do a job because of politics.

Sen. Feinstein was not alone in her position. I don't suppose that it matters that a more appropriate person was selected?

'the head of the CIA's Latin American Division, a former station chief in Pakistan who former officials said once ran the covert action that helped remove Serbian President Slobodan Milosevic from power. That program is regarded inside the CIA as a blueprint for running a successful peaceful covert action.'

Indeed, getting others to do your dirty work is an innate ability not all possess.

But, but, but, Thailand claims there was never any such thing............

You sir, need to stop before you're accused of labeling secret prisons as makeshift prostitution rings, then sued for ... defamation!! * screams*

• Like 1

You sir, need to stop before you're accused of labeling secret prisons as makeshift prostitution rings, then sued for ... defamation!! * screams*

That wasn't a prison, it was just a BDSM club. :rolleyes:

Well, that would probably automatically disqualify her candidacy right?

I guess she'll find other jobs to do. :(

I guess she'll find other jobs to do. :(

Hey, whips, chains, waterboarding.

One man's torture ...

I turned down the job since I would have had to give up my undercover role as a retired expat living in Thailand and move back to the States. The money wasn't worth the sacrifice.

• Like 1

Thailand doesn't have any secret jails and doesn't have any involvement with or knowledge of alleged secret prisons run by the CIA, Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra said Thursday.

Speaking in response to reports published in the Washington Post and to Opposition demands for 'clarification' regarding the reported existence of a CIA-sponsored secret detention site for terrorist suspects in Thailand, Mr. Thaksin in a televised press conference flatly denied present or former existence of any such facility in Thailand.

http://www.accessmylibrary.com/coms2/summary_0286-11133817_ITM

• Like 1

god bless Waterboarding....and any other ways of extracting information from death mongering terrorists. We need more Jack Bauer's in this world. http://static.thaivisa.com/forum//public/style_emoticons/default/whistling.gif

*Deleted quote edited out*

This is a very dark area.

There are things that go on in this world that we are not privy to. There are those who wish to destroy our freedom by any means necessary. There are those who have chosen to protect our freedom by any means necessary and by doing so have turned a dark corner and given up their lives for ours.

Freedom isn't free. It comes at a price, and those people who protect us pay that price when they are forced to become someone I'm sure they would prefer not to be in order to obtain information and intelligence to continue to protect our freedom.

The idealism that everyone lives by the rules is naive. For us to be free to follow the rules of society a small few have to be prepared to break moral boundaries to maintain society.

Some people have given up their human rights when they turn to terrorism, unfortunately there will be collateral cost, the protection of the masses outweighs the civil rights of the few who have either proven themselves to be sub-human or for some reason caught within a web of suspicion.

There is also a grey area in there somewhere which makes this a very tricky debate.... but when talking absolutes, I have no doubt which I would rather have protecting me between rights or people to protect us against those to wish to do harm to our society.

Its a small step to screwing terrorist to screwing law abiding citizens. Cannot agree with your statement you are willing to give up to easy.

And underlining a comment in post#25 "Former CIA officials and intelligence analysts have given strong supporting evidence that water boarding and other more severe forms of torture do not provide valuable intelligence"

The problem is that they torture people when they have no idea if they are terrorists or not. I don't think it would be a great experience for an innocent to be taken and tortured.

I guess it is also quite ok for other countries to torture people from the US. What's good for the goose.

• Like 1

A perfect example of how two people can disagree and both be right.