90 Day Reporting - Comments & Experiences 2013

Tywais

• Replies 341
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To answer Uptheos' question, I got a strong secondhand report that still struck me as something worth checking out, so I still call it a rumor needing confirmation.

The report also included a complaint that there is "now" a 2000 bhat fine for being late, regardless of the number of days. Nothing about the possibility of a 500 bhat fine per day with a cap of 2000 bhat. Check here, in any case:

http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/en/base.php?page=90days

The reporter also complained that the new officer at the 90-day desk was snappish and dismissive.

Given the great improvements in efficiency at Chiang Mai Immigration, is there really much to complain about ? There is a 22-day window in which to make the report, which can be made by an agent, family, a friend, or a flunky, if you wish, or by registered post.

For elderly or others who aren't good at keeping track of things, it would be really smart to get an agent or a reliable friend to help.

OK so it's no an 'idle rumour' but nevertheless a rumour.

You use the term 'have been tightened up' which infers it's already in place.

I'm not doubting that anything can happen at CMI so best just to keep an eye out for a succession of posters experiencing this. Anything there that is 'one off' is usually because something is amiss with that person's requirements.

I am on holiday in Hua Hin when my next 90 day report is due. Is it possible to have it done, on a one off basis, at Hua Hin immigration, or do i have to make the long trek back to Chiang Mai ?

I think that should be OK at Hua Hin, if you explain that you're travelling and won't be at your 'home-base' for a few weeks, I've done the same at Jomtien twice, who were happy to accept my guest-house down there as my latest address.

• Like 1

I have heard that some requirements for the 90-day report have been tightened up. Something on the order of having proof of residence (such as a letter from a landlord, lease, rental contract, and so on) Maybe something else. I am not reporting an idle rumor, but I think a very clear accurate report would be hel

But, back to the point: Are there any verified changes to documentation needed for 90-day reports? Please do not report 2009 experience! smile.png

Must have changed since this wednesday then the only change I was told of was only 1 page of the pastport is required now as the barcode system is now in use so where do you get your rumors from

I did my yearly extension in early October and the fellow at desk 6 told me the bar code meant nothing. The only reason it was still put in the book was because some one high up the line had come up with the idea and they couldn't take it out.

Has any one else done there 90 day and had the bar code used.

I agree the curly haired lady seemed very efficient to me. I also agree with her referring the fellow who wanted a PR to a desk with no one at it. If you want a PR learn to speak and understand Thai.

I had renewed my passport in August and they put it in the book.

Had my barcode almost from the time it started......to my knowledge it has never been used.

Mine got used once ,next time ," machine broken" the reason why I always carry a folder full of photocopies/photographs

I told my wife to write it in her Chiang Mai Immigration diary (she doesn't keep one). We walked in to do the 90-day thing, walked up to the central desk to get numbers 231 & 232, and as soon as we had them they were called, and we were done and out of there.

On a Thursday (Halloween?) at 2:30 pm.

I told my wife to write it in her Chiang Mai Immigration diary (she doesn't keep one). We walked in to do the 90-day thing, walked up to the central desk to get numbers 231 & 232, and as soon as we had them they were called, and we were done and out of there.

Yesterday was quick also. The new lady doesn't muck around. she will call your number give you maybe 1 minute to get to the counter and if you are late she calls the next number. The previous officers would call the number and simply wait even if it took 30 minutes for the customer to wander up. If you don't have all your photocopies there is no sending you off to get them and the officers sit around having a chat whilst they wait for you to return, the new girl calls the next number and keeps the line flowing. She doesn't smile much but is quick, I don't go there for a smile anyway.

Yesterday was quick also. The new lady doesn't muck around. she will call your number give you maybe 1 minute to get to the counter and if you are late she calls the next number. The previous officers would call the number and simply wait even if it took 30 minutes for the customer to wander up. If you don't have all your photocopies there is no sending you off to get them and the officers sit around having a chat whilst they wait for you to return, the new girl calls the next number and keeps the line flowing. She doesn't smile much but is quick, I don't go there for a smile anyway.

Obviously not conforming to the Col's 'Happy Smile program. wink.png

I agree, no need for the smile, efficiency is the main thing and it sounds as if she's the real deal.

Calling the numbers? I thought that only happened after the number came up on the screen?

Calling the numbers? I thought that only happened after the number came up on the screen?

Yes that is right, it comes up on the screen, say 534 flashing at counter 2 at the same time as the audio is sounding in both Thai/English.

She doesn't smile much but is quick, I don't go there for a smile anyway.

Actually, she smiled a lot.

She looked at my wife and said, "Who is your girlfriend?"

I said, "My wife."

She said, "So your girlfriend 20 years ago?"

"About 30," said my wife.

Also, it's a fairly recent development that a third party can't just bring in a copy of the passport for the 90-day report -- the actual passport has to make an appearance. This has really cut into the 90 day report business of the visa agents since few people want to have their passports out of their control for several days and, besides, if you have to drop off your passport at the visa agent's office, you might as well go to Immigration and do the 90 day report yourself.

I knew that being a cheap Charlie would pay off someday. And I was about to break down and pay for the service. tongue.png

• Like 1

Mapguy, you know darn well that it hasn't been possible to do 90 day reports by mail, registered or otherwise, for quite some time, unless you live in the far reaches of the provinces. Also, it's a fairly recent development that a third party can't just bring in a copy of the passport for the 90-day report -- the actual passport has to make an appearance. This has really cut into the 90 day report business of the visa agents since few people want to have their passports out of their control for several days and, besides, if you have to drop off your passport at the visa agent's office, you might as well go to Immigration and do the 90 day report yourself.

So much for the old rumor that Immigration was trying to force everyone into using visa agents!

And for your new rumor that they want to see proof of residence with each 90 day report -- well, as my Dad used to say about what some people said "consider the source and forget it". I think it applies here!

Yes, you are right about the limited acceptance of registered mail submissions, at least in Chiang Mai, so far as we seem to know. Sorry for the short-handed way I expressed that option. It would be very useful to know what constitutes the "far reaches," as you put it. So, I'd like to post another request for someone doing 90-day reports to ask what actually defines the area within which registered mail is apparently now not acceptable. No one has reported anything yet that I am aware of.

Too bad the Immigration Department hasn't modified web site information. For example, if you Google Chiang Mai 90-Day reports, there are a number of sites revealed, but unless I have missed something, none of them seem to nail down officially which office doesn't accept registered submissions. It has been a while since I really thoroughly explored the Immigration web site pages. Basically, you find this about 90-day reports:

Official references always seem to be to the Region 1 office. I've never found any other official office reference that I can recall. We are in Region 5. Maybe someone else can find something official that applies to the Chiang Mai office. Here is typical information provided:

Regarding there reliability of agents and other representatives, I can understand some peoples' reticence to entrust their passports to others.

And I agree about being wary of rumors. This one could might possibly have been a misunderstanding, as I noted. That's why I sought confirmation.

Edited by Mapguy

Mapguy: "So, I'd like to post another request for someone doing 90-day reports to ask what actually defines the area within which registered mail is apparently now not acceptable"

Are you not well? Is there some reason you can not get that information you want by yourself? It would seem easy for someone who has the intimate relationship with Immigration that you have described in the past. Stuck behind mind altering substances?

Anyway, not to worry, I will run down to Immigration Monday and ask your question for you. Do you have a map so I can have them redline it for you or would it be okay if they do it on my map?

Edited by Dante99

Thanks, Dante, I am well, just forgetful. smile.png The last time that I did a 90-day report was a while ago and I forgot to ask! Actually, it doesn't apply to me in any case, but I thought it might be helpful for those wondering whether or not to mail in a 90-day report.

Glad you're going down to Immigration to ask! Thanks for volunteering !! Good luck! wai.gif

You are right. A map would be great! Sad to say, I don't have an amphur map (other than an unhelpful muang map) that would be helpful. I'll keep hunting for one. In the meantime, it has occurred to me that if people use their local post office to register a letter, then the mailing code might be telling, and I have found a directory for that:

http://www.geopostcodes.com/index.php?pg=browse&grp=1&sort=1&niv=5&id=147777&l=0

So, you can lay this one on them! Ought to keep Miss Efficiency busy for a while!

In the meantime, I am going to make a wild guess that muang and contiguous amphurs are considered "local," but I don't make policy for Chiang Mai Immigration.

Regarding intimate relationships with Immigration officers, I have a crush on one of the marriage visa officers wub.png , I can't say that I have been successful in initiating any romances. Sigh! sad.png

Edited by Mapguy

Mapguy, dare I say that if you were successful in initiating a romance with one of the marriage visa officers you'd be in danger of losing your own marriage visa status.

A romance with a visa officer and the Sword of Damocles is forever present.biggrin.png

I just returned from doing my 90 day report and am still amazed by Immigration's efficiency. I arrived at 1:35, got my ticket at the middle desk, and then didn't even have enough time to sit down before my number was called. The woman at the far right counter was overseeing two trainees, one of whom did my report. The supervising woman was very friendly. Within minutes my passport was returned to me and I was out of the building by 1:43.

What a difference from my first and only solo visit to Immigration 18 months ago. Hope the efficiency continues. Very impressive--at least for 90 day reports.

• Like 1

The 90-day report is not rocket science, but so far it has generated eleven pages of comments. Mea culpa for a couple of those! wai.gif

Yes, the Immigration Office in Chiang Mai has done much to improve service in the past few months. Now, with the efficient Miss Congeniality at the 90-day desk, that also might improve, but it seemed to have been doing quite well before that posting. So interesting that they put such a high-ranking officer at this lowly spot!

By the way, do we do not yet have a report promised by a previous poster on the extent or limits of reporting by registered mail? Seriously, this is of real interest to many really discommoded by tri-monthly visits to Chiang Mai. What do the relatively high-ranking officer (or her superior) at the office report? I assume that is the person or persons you have consulted.

Edited by Mapguy

History

There was another thread along this topic that was closed down by Tywas because like this thread it had lost it's intent.

I sent a PM to Tywais and mentioned it would be nice to have the information with out the rest of it.. He obviously agreed to it and opened it up with your experience in 2013.

So to get back to the purpose of the thread I was in there at 1:05 and out of there at 1:20. It was interesting as there was three girls there and one client then two clients. I had number 648 and the board showed numbers 641 and 644. Then one left and no one else was called. Finally the other guy left. He had been up there all the time I was there. Any how he left and the board said 644 and they then called 648 where the other three went I have no idea. They never called the other numbers.

I asked the girl if the bar code was used and she said yes. Then she asked me if I would like one. Thai Logic as she had already processed my application. I said yes so she took it over to the girl sitting by the wall and she had one made up on the spot and put it right on the passport front page with all my information. All this in 15 minutes. On the way home I opened the passport and took the bar code off as I already had one on the inside of the back cover.

I asked about the mail in and she was very hesitant so she finally said you can take a chance. This is Thailand trying to look up rules and hold them to them is a waste of time. Also they never asked about my rent receipt. Just another rumor.

and that was my experience in the 15 minutes in the immigration office doing my 90 day.

A nice report, Dolly! And some of it delightfully humorous! Well, to just talk to one of the "girls" may not be altogether informative !

Never mind the "TIT" aspect of your report. There is a serious fair question to ask the right officers! There are a lot of people who feel a need for this sort of information. Personally, it doesn't affect me.

Otherwise --- to get to basics --- if one were to send a registered letter with all appropriate forms to Chiang Mai Immigration consistent with Thai Immigration regulations, and you have a receipt, no one in the Chiang Mai office is going to fine you anything or put you on an airplane back to wherever you came from !! Even if you forget to sign a photocopy, et cetera, you will, at the very most get a brief lecture! (Certainly from Miss Efficiency!! biggrin.png)

So, where is the report of the intrepid guy who promised to get the real story yesterday, Monday. Or was he just passing gas ?!

Edited by Mapguy

A nice report, Dolly! And some of it delightfully humorous! Well, to just talk to one of the "girls" may not be altogether informative !

Never mind the "TIT" aspect of your report. There is a serious fair question to ask the right officers! There are a lot of people who feel a need for this sort of information. Personally, it doesn't affect me.

Otherwise --- to get to basics --- if one were to send a registered letter with all appropriate forms to Chiang Mai Immigration consistent with Thai Immigration regulations, and you have a receipt, no one in the Chiang Mai office is going to fine you anything or put you on an airplane back to wherever you came from !! Even if you forget to sign a photocopy, et cetera, you will, at the very most get a brief lecture! (Certainly from Miss Efficiency!! biggrin.png)

So, where is the report of the intrepid guy who promised to get the real story yesterday, Monday. Or was he just passing gas ?!

A couple of years back I sent mine in and it didn't come back as usual. On the 7th day after the date I went to immigration and the reason it hadn't come back is because I had not signed one copy. The person doing it, starting counting the days on her fingers (no calculator I guess) and turned around to speak to the loud female officer with glasses. She then came back and said 'no fine this time'. So although they won't deport you, if what you send in isn't 100% correct they will simply keep it until you go and find out what's happening. If you go after 7 days the fine will kick in.

A couple of years back I sent mine in and it didn't come back as usual. On the 7th day after the date I went to immigration and the reason it hadn't come back is because I had not signed one copy. The person doing it, starting counting the days on her fingers (no calculator I guess) and turned around to speak to the loud female officer with glasses. She then came back and said 'no fine this time'. So although they won't deport you, if what you send in isn't 100% correct they will simply keep it until you go and find out what's happening. If you go after 7 days the fine will kick in.

My experience with mail-in is similar to Uptheos. I doubt I will ever try mailing again.

In addition, every time in the past that I have tried to do a 90 day report with the days and times people on TV have reported as being a walk in the park, I ended up spending a lot of time at Immigration. I accept that it may have changed. However, for me, if I can still have it done by an agency, which may not be easy now, I will do so.

My experience with mail-in is similar to Uptheos. I doubt I will ever try mailing again.

In addition, every time in the past that I have tried to do a 90 day report with the days and times people on TV have reported as being a walk in the park, I ended up spending a lot of time at Immigration. I accept that it may have changed. However, for me, if I can still have it done by an agency, which may not be easy now, I will do so.

hml367 you've been here a long time and have dealt with immigration probably as much as most people. You also know that a lot of these posts about walking in at 1503 and walking out at 1505 are BS, though there are a few posters who I would believe based on their consistent reliability of previous information about various things and they know who they are. It seems to me most of these BS posts started when immigration was a nightmare and people started using an agency, but they couldn't afford to or the wife wouldn't let them as she holds the money, or whatever. I think it sprang up more out of jealousy than anything else wink.png

Edited by uptheos
  • Like 2

I think that it is two weeks before and one week after your 90 day report date.

It's 15 days before and 7 days after except for mail in which need to be at least 15 days before.

I only stay in Thailand for a little under 6 months a year, usually it's around 176-178 days. Last year I went to immigration a week early to do a 90-day report because I thought it would make no difference and it was more practical for me to do so. What happened was that I "lost" a week: they gave me 90 more days counting from the day I was there reporting, not from when my last 90 days ran out. This resulted in me having to do another 90-day report just 5-6 days prior to my departure for Europe after spending 6 months in Thailand. Is this supposed to happen or did I just have the bad luck to deal with an officer who didn't know or practice the rules?

(Yes, I have a 1-year extension even though I am only here 6 months a year.)

Edited by Babytalk