90 Day Reporting - Comments & Experiences 2013

Tywais

I had to report to CM Immigration today for my nonsensical 90 day reporting obligation. Immigration was packed as usual with standing room only. It took 1 hour and 45 minutes to complete the report. There was a new immigration officer processing the 90 day reports. This officer was really cranking out the 90 day reports while his partner spent more time out of his seat strolling around the office than he did processing reports. It was basically, 1 hour and 45 minutes of shear misery, lol. I look forward to the day the ring leader of this circus will wake up and realize the wasted man hours it takes to enforce the 90 day reporting and see this procedure has absolutely no merit.

Well you didn't mention what time you went and its been mentioned many times if you go mid to late afternoon you can be in, and out, in under 15 minutes.my last trip was 3 minutes. Also coming up its a long weekend and I am presuming they will be closed for at least Sat,Sunday,Monday maybe Tuesday not sure, so avoid the day before as you have flexibility with 90 day reporting,it's all in the planning.

I went immigration at 10:00 am. If I wait until the afternoon, it makes it hard to get a songtaw that will take me there because of the traffic.

• Replies 341
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had to report to CM Immigration today for my nonsensical 90 day reporting obligation. Immigration was packed as usual with standing room only. It took 1 hour and 45 minutes to complete the report. There was a new immigration officer processing the 90 day reports. This officer was really cranking out the 90 day reports while his partner spent more time out of his seat strolling around the office than he did processing reports. It was basically, 1 hour and 45 minutes of shear misery, lol. I look forward to the day the ring leader of this circus will wake up and realize the wasted man hours it takes to enforce the 90 day reporting and see this procedure has absolutely no merit.

Well you didn't mention what time you went and its been mentioned many times if you go mid to late afternoon you can be in, and out, in under 15 minutes.my last trip was 3 minutes. Also coming up its a long weekend and I am presuming they will be closed for at least Sat,Sunday,Monday maybe Tuesday not sure, so avoid the day before as you have flexibility with 90 day reporting,it's all in the planning.

Agreed when you know their is a weekend coming up to be followed by two holidays. You should know the line will be long three days of reports in one day. I just make it a practice to go on Tuesday Wednesday or Thursday.

An hour and 45 minutes was basically good time under the conditions.

Doing it by post is back on, so why bother going there?

I might have missed something. Who, from actual personal experience can confirm that all mail submissions are accepted and processed by Chiang Mai Immigration. I believe that the last report was that mailed requests were being processed only for submissions resident outside some vaguely-defined area including Chiang Mai city itself and, perhaps, nearby "suburbs," such as Mae Rim and Hang Dong.

Has anyone actually received any specific statement from an Immigration officer about this? My apologies that I forgot to ask the last time I was in.

I might have missed something. Who, from actual personal experience can confirm that all mail submissions are accepted and processed by Chiang Mai Immigration. I believe that the last report was that mailed requests were being processed only for submissions resident outside some vaguely-defined area including Chiang Mai city itself and, perhaps, nearby "suburbs," such as Mae Rim and Hang Dong.

Has anyone actually received any specific statement from an Immigration officer about this? My apologies that I forgot to ask the last time I was in.

With all the previous posts here some got it some didn't and the time line was not consistent I am not sure I would trust the service until I had heard a lot of it worked for me's. Of course there would be the odd one it didn't work for but that could have been because of a mistake in filling in the form or forgot to attach a stamp on the return envelope.

In the mean time it seems to be working great. One went in before a four day holiday and only had to wait 1hour and 45 minutes. At it's worse that would have been a 4 hour wait.

Edit

Accordion to one poster the immigration staff told him it was OK for him to use the online appointment system for a 90 day so I would be a little leary of what the staff say's

Edited by hellodolly

Dolly, is there any way that first sentence could be rephrased to make sense? I have read it several times and still can't understand what you are trying to say. Also, "accordion"? Is that not a musical instrument? Salud.

Edited by Lobo4819

Dolly, is there any way that first sentence could be rephrased to make sense? I have read it several times and still can't understand what you are trying to say. Also, "accordion"? Is that not a musical instrument? Salud.

Give "Dolly" a break after 10,871 posts he probably needs a long holiday.

• Like 1

Sorry about that

If you read all the posts on this and the thread it replaced there were many posts saying you couldn't do it and many that said you could do it.

They were inconsistent one poster would say you couldn't do it and later another poster would say you could do it. That went on for awhile before they all said you couldn't do it.

If they had been consistent there would have been a lot of posts saying you could do it . Then all of a sudden all the posts would say you couldent do it.

What I was saying is until I see a lot of people saying you can do it I would hesitate in trusting it.

As for accordion. My spelling is not that great and the spell checker didn't say there was any thing wrong with it.

I now see I should have used the word accordingly.

SparklesI am retired and on a long break. My condolences to you for having to still work.tongue.png

can anyone tell me how much the fine is per day over the limit?

I also understand that we get a week's extra time.

Will i be fined for weekend days and bank holidays too?

There are 2 weeks before and 1 week after due of 90 day report allowed. If you are over the extra week because of the holidays you need to get in their early on Wednesday and smile at the officer, (-:

I'm afraid i was due in on the 9th. So i'm just trying to know in advance what i'm likely to be busted for!

It's unfair, i live in thailand and have long since lived life in the lane according to thai time so i really never have a clue when i'm due. I used to have a calendar, but never got one for this year, and now i've blown it twice. I can't recall what the daily fine is.

What i'm hoping is that i can take off the weekend days and today and tomorrow from my fine that i'll be getting on wednesday.

I'm afraid i was due in on the 9th. So i'm just trying to know in advance what i'm likely to be busted for!

It's unfair, i live in thailand and have long since lived life in the lane according to thai time so i really never have a clue when i'm due. I used to have a calendar, but never got one for this year, and now i've blown it twice. I can't recall what the daily fine is.

What i'm hoping is that i can take off the weekend days and today and tomorrow from my fine that i'll be getting on wednesday.

The fine is normally 2000 Baht. You will be 2 weeks+ late so unlikely there will be any leeway.

Ah well that's a bit of a relief, i thought i might be up for 500 baht or more a day.

Is that a fixed fine then?

I better buy a calendar fast, it's cheaper than paying the thai government for this malarkey.

Just a thought here. I didn't do my 90 day reporting on time once. Instead of doing it late, i just didn't do it at all. Eventually i exited and re entered thailand. 90 days after i re entered thailand i did a 90 day report. I was not fined anything.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Ah well that's a bit of a relief, i thought i might be up for 500 baht or more a day.

Is that a fixed fine then?

I better buy a calendar fast, it's cheaper than paying the thai government for this malarkey.

Just a thought here. I didn't do my 90 day reporting on time once. Instead of doing it late, i just didn't do it at all. Eventually i exited and re entered thailand. 90 days after i re entered thailand i did a 90 day report. I was not fined anything.

I believe you are not alone in that happening but better to do it right just to be on the right side of the bureaucracy.

BTW your GT-I9300 should have a calendar and reminder on it?

Edited by Thailand

From experience, they definitely count actual days, not working days, so no extra time for holidays etc.

2,000 baht fixed fine, unless you are caught by a check in the street, in which case it is 4,000 baht, I am lead to believe.

From experience, they definitely count actual days, not working days, so no extra time for holidays etc.

2,000 baht fixed fine, unless you are caught by a check in the street, in which case it is 4,000 baht, I am lead to believe.

Caught in the street for not having done 90 reporting?

Anyone actually been fined for that?

I don't even cary my 90 day reporting receipt in my passport, as i didn't think it was used anywhere (exept when doing my next report)

I was there on Thursday, 8 a.m and scored number 5053 counter 2. The guys behind the coubter seem to wander off come back have a chat wander off again come back serve a couple of people then the wheels went round.

I also noticed that a couple of thai women who had a number would present 5 or 6 passports at the one time, this held up the line as one number was servicing 6 people.

I have no problem with agents going in but please let immigration organise a separate que. Not fair that 6 people ride on one number.

If you see Thai women presenting 5 or 6 passports at one time it is most likely for visa extensions or other reasons. 90 reports only require photo copy of passport. The visa company I use only charge 1000 bahts a year to do the 90 day reports.

I want to hire an agent for 1000 baht a year to do my 90 day reports. Where can I find one? Sounds like a good deal.

I was there on Thursday, 8 a.m and scored number 5053 counter 2. The guys behind the coubter seem to wander off come back have a chat wander off again come back serve a couple of people then the wheels went round.

I also noticed that a couple of thai women who had a number would present 5 or 6 passports at the one time, this held up the line as one number was servicing 6 people.

I have no problem with agents going in but please let immigration organise a separate que. Not fair that 6 people ride on one number.

If you see Thai women presenting 5 or 6 passports at one time it is most likely for visa extensions or other reasons. 90 reports only require photo copy of passport. The visa company I use only charge 1000 bahts a year to do the 90 day reports.
I want to hire an agent for 1000 baht a year to do my 90 day reports. Where can I find one? Sounds like a good deal.

The post that was next to yours!

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/655333-assist-thai-visa-services/

My annual extension was 2 weeks ago. While there I asked about the rumor that mailed in 90-day reports were possible.

The FIRST question asked was: ==> "Where do you live?"

Upon learning that I live in Lampang up near the border with Phayao, the response was that I was allowed to mail in my report.

As to the implication... it seems there must be a boundary of some type, certainly outside the Chiang Mai Muang district, and likely beyond much of the central valley floor for which use of the mail is deemed allowed. I don't know if the boundary is defined, or in the daily perception of the immigration officer. If your address is within that boundary, then they expect you to be their in person. sorry.gif

Good! Some progress! One answer finally to the question I raised earlier: What are the specific geographic limits for mail service? The boundaries can't be drawn by "common sense," unfortunately, as everyone has a different idea about how to define that! RPVCguy made as reasonable a judgment as one can suppose --- I suppose!

But why --- and it has been more than a couple of weeks now --- hasn't someone raised the direct question: What are the boundaries?! And it is perfectly reasonable to ask where the information is made available to all. After all, it should only take 90 days for the word to get around to almost everyone!

At the same time, I don't think Chiang Mai Immigration is at all thrilled handling ANY mail reports given the propensity for ill-prepared submissions. Think about that a moment! But, then again, Chiang Mai Immigration can be quite slow at helping to solve such problems with well-posted and well-distributed information, even given that so many seem remarkably clueless about preparing their paperwork.

About the paperwork. I was also told that multiple documents copied onto one sheet was NOT acceptable. If you open your passport and can see pages 8 and 9, then that is allowed as a sheet. I commented about cutting down extra trees for all the paper - but no way. That was a surprise and would have meant my usual submissions by mail was not appreciated. huh.png ... better to know ahead of time and give them what the current bosses are demanding. Trying to argue otherwise... well ... beatdeadhorse.gif

Been here 5 years now, on retirement visa over 3 years. Wonderful staff for the most part at Immigration, longer waits for service have been usually my fault for: wrong form, missed a photo copy, went to wrong line or did not get a number, went in the morning for a 90day when it was a total zoo (I normally go in the early afternoon except for my annual renewal). Staff are great but really overworked etc. Of course there are some lazy people working there, same-same everywhere. ~25% of the people always carry +75% of the workload.

It is a confusing experience and with Burma (and Laos/China) opening up the staff must be (are) going crazy. I have found that the guy at the 90 day line gets more friendly every time I go in, and now I do not even get a number unless I see a line-up there. I just walk over and he smiles and takes my paperwork. 5-10 minutes and often not a word is spoken except for my greeting. If there is a line-up I get a number and ~20-30 minutes later all is done. Yes, a smile and friendly demeaner over time is appreciated here.

My ex is a Swiss citizen, I am Canadian. After we got married the nightmare of just:

1) getting her into Canada on a longer term visa, and

2) the process of her being allowed to stay and work in Canada

nearly drove me up the wall. Must have spent a couple hundred hours and reams of documents/paperwork along the way and had to deal with some really uncooperative Cdn buerocrats who just did not give a shit.

I can not say enough good things about the Thai process that allows me to permanently live here with minimal hassle. Now saying that, I do not, and do not want to work here - I am retired. Others who have different ambitions and visas have a different struggle.

I do get tired of all the bitching from expats I meet, not all, but there is a solid core of ungratful expats (many are just lazy losers who could not make it in their home country) who IMO should either move back home or adjust to the country they have adopted. You know who you are.

I have told that to many bitching expats straight to their face - "why are you here, why don't you just go home"

I have been treated very very well here in Thailand.

Doug

• Like 2

I did my 90 day reporting (Retirement Visa) yesterday. I arrived at 2:45PM, lots of bike parking spaces, in fact it was quite empty. I saw one person being served but the number machine was closed off so I walked over to the 90 day desk and waited. Less than 1 minute later a lady came over, smiled, said hello, and took my paperwork, stamp stamp stamp, handed me back my passport and I was done. Under 5 minutes. The place was not that busy.

As others have mentioned the key seems to be avoiding mornings and go mid-week - not just before or after holidays.

I did my 90 day reporting (Retirement Visa) yesterday. I arrived at 2:45PM, lots of bike parking spaces, in fact it was quite empty. I saw one person being served but the number machine was closed off so I walked over to the 90 day desk and waited. Less than 1 minute later a lady came over, smiled, said hello, and took my paperwork, stamp stamp stamp, handed me back my passport and I was done. Under 5 minutes. The place was not that busy.

As others have mentioned the key seems to be avoiding mornings and go mid-week - not just before or after holidays.

Thank you for your positive post on current conditions there. I have to go in next week and am glad to hear it is still an easy peasy thing to do.

I know what you are talking about with Canada. I can't even get my wife a tourist visa to go to a country she would not like.

she would enjoy meeting parts of my family and seeing how they live and a few odds and ends but after a week be ready to come home.

Not quite as hard for the states but the same reaction. She would enjoy meeting my brothers and sisters and seeing where I grew up I would give her two weeks there.

We don't appreciate how easy we have it here in Thailand as retiree's.

Thank you for your positive post on current conditions there. I have to go in next week and am glad to hear it is still an easy peasy thing to do.

I know what you are talking about with Canada. I can't even get my wife a tourist visa to go to a country she would not like.

she would enjoy meeting parts of my family and seeing how they live and a few odds and ends but after a week be ready to come home.

Not quite as hard for the states but the same reaction. She would enjoy meeting my brothers and sisters and seeing where I grew up I would give her two weeks there.

She would only not like it because you would make sure to take her to places that she would hate for fear she's LOVE it there. I've seen this happen with others, taking their wives/gf's home, middle of winter, not showing them anything but the negative side and going on and on about how expensive it is, with the desired result accomplished, back to Thailand with no more silly talk of living there....pheeew that was a close one! I really don't understand Canada bashing any more than Thailand bashing. I lived there for 7 years, Canada is a truly magnificent country in all aspects and I know many Thai and Burmese who have settled from Halifax to Vancouver and they wouldn't return to Thailand if their life depended on it.

Good to see immigration is improving I have to pop in to see them soon for my annual appointment.smile.png

• Like 1

My gf and I spent a month in Canada 2 years ago. She really enjoyed herself (visited family and rented a cabin/cottage on a lake) and could not get over how organized and clean Canada is, especially driving on the highways. I have no plans of going back, perhaps someday for another visit, I like Canada but I don't miss it ??? Thailand is my home now.

To get her a visa we had to put together a pile of paperwork showing that she has strong ties to Thailand and that we have a history of a relationship. She owns a small business and a house, has 2 dependent children here, so those documents were straight forward. Then we also provided photos of us together in many places around Thailand & Laos, copy of a bank account in both our names (I have 2 accounts here), a very small motorbike accident insurance policy on me with her named as beneficiary. We had to show a paid return ticket to Canada also which irked me as it seemed bass-ackwards to buy a plane ticket when we did not know if we could go. Then I had to prove that I had sufficient cash on hand (in the bank) to support her while in Canada (she did not have much in her account).

I/we put together quite a pile of documents as I had heard of so many others being refused a visa for their Thai girlfriends/wives. Then we had to fly to Bangkok to submit the file, were given a date to return to see if we were approved. Pins and needles thru the entire process. We were approved and she got a 6 month visa even tho we asked for 30 days? Most of the people we talked to who applied did NOT get approved. Pretty strict, but I do hear of so many Thais who have no intentions of returning and go to Canada and the US to work illegally, so I suppose they have a point.

Good to see immigration is improving I have to pop in to see them soon for my annual appointment.smile.png.pagespeed.ce.CwSpBGGvqN.png

The "Annual" may be a different story as you have to get a number and likely still have to go in the morning as they close off after x number of people are signed in. I do not know. When I was there at 2:45PM the number machine was closed and there was a sign stating "those with numbers above XXX come back tomorrow".

The "Annual" may be a different story as you have to get a number and likely still have to go in the morning as they close off after x number of people are signed in. I do not know. When I was there at 2:45PM the number machine was closed and there was a sign stating "those with numbers above XXX come back tomorrow".

Chances he has a reserved queue already which simplifies things a lot. Mine is next month but even trying to get a number 90-100 days before was a bit tight.

Also an off-topic, argumentative post removed.

My gf and I spent a month in Canada 2 years ago. She really enjoyed herself (visited family and rented a cabin/cottage on a lake) and could not get over how organized and clean Canada is, especially driving on the highways. I have no plans of going back, perhaps someday for another visit, I like Canada but I don't miss it ??? Thailand is my home now.

To get her a visa we had to put together a pile of paperwork showing that she has strong ties to Thailand and that we have a history of a relationship. She owns a small business and a house, has 2 dependent children here, so those documents were straight forward. Then we also provided photos of us together in many places around Thailand & Laos, copy of a bank account in both our names (I have 2 accounts here), a very small motorbike accident insurance policy on me with her named as beneficiary. We had to show a paid return ticket to Canada also which irked me as it seemed bass-ackwards to buy a plane ticket when we did not know if we could go. Then I had to prove that I had sufficient cash on hand (in the bank) to support her while in Canada (she did not have much in her account).

I/we put together quite a pile of documents as I had heard of so many others being refused a visa for their Thai girlfriends/wives. Then we had to fly to Bangkok to submit the file, were given a date to return to see if we were approved. Pins and needles thru the entire process. We were approved and she got a 6 month visa even tho we asked for 30 days? Most of the people we talked to who applied did NOT get approved. Pretty strict, but I do hear of so many Thais who have no intentions of returning and go to Canada and the US to work illegally, so I suppose they have a point.

Good to see immigration is improving I have to pop in to see them soon for my annual appointment.smile.png.pagespeed.ce.CwSpBGGvqN.png

I only use the appointment system for my annual. In at 10 finished 10-15 + wait for receipt. thumbsup.gif