Montclair Wine

GiantFan

More and more cheaper wines with fruit juice added (a la Montclair) are finding their way on to supermarket shelves, However I have mentioned before about looking for bargains, and I have still found a few around, and not only in Phuket.

Tesco Lotus in Phuket were having a clear out of old stock and I managed to pick up many a good bottle at the time (a couple of months ago) and especially the Taylors Promised Land Shiraz/Cabernet at 399 baht a bottle, with years ranging from 2008 through to 2013. There were others to choose from, however one has to beware of the Tesco own brand wines, because very often these are blended from several different years and are really meant for drinking within the year they appear on the shelves. However because no year appears on the label (and that's how you can tell they are blended from different years) you have no idea how long they have been on the shelves!!!

A bit of a "Catch-22" situation, so you can take a chance if you wish, and buy one bottle perhaps to see what it's like.

Now here's the extra bit of news, I recently drove up to Hua Hin and whilst visiting the local Tesco supermarket, I noticed they also had the Taylor's Promised Land on special at 399 a bottle, so because the Phuket Tesco had run out, I stocked up for my homeward journey.

My point is that It is probably worth looking into any Tesco store to see if they have similar stock "clear outs".

Locally, I have found some bargains in the Big C store, and in particular a couple of days ago a Shiraz from Argentina (2011) which was being cleared at 320 baht a bottle, and was a very decent drinker. Furthermore, they have an Australian Cabernet Sauvignon (2013) knocked down to 359 baht which is also a very decent drinker.

There are bargains out there if you want to look for them, and especially if you don't want to settle for wine which has fruit juice added.

More and more cheaper wines with fruit juice added (a la Montclair) are finding their way on to supermarket shelves, However I have mentioned before about looking for bargains, and I have still found a few around, and not only in Phuket.

Tesco Lotus in Phuket were having a clear out of old stock and I managed to pick up many a good bottle at the time (a couple of months ago) and especially the Taylors Promised Land Shiraz/Cabernet at 399 baht a bottle, with years ranging from 2008 through to 2013. There were others to choose from, however one has to beware of the Tesco own brand wines, because very often these are blended from several different years and are really meant for drinking within the year they appear on the shelves. However because no year appears on the label (and that's how you can tell they are blended from different years) you have no idea how long they have been on the shelves!!!

A bit of a "Catch-22" situation, so you can take a chance if you wish, and buy one bottle perhaps to see what it's like.

Now here's the extra bit of news, I recently drove up to Hua Hin and whilst visiting the local Tesco supermarket, I noticed they also had the Taylor's Promised Land on special at 399 a bottle, so because the Phuket Tesco had run out, I stocked up for my homeward journey.

My point is that It is probably worth looking into any Tesco store to see if they have similar stock "clear outs".

Locally, I have found some bargains in the Big C store, and in particular a couple of days ago a Shiraz from Argentina (2011) which was being cleared at 320 baht a bottle, and was a very decent drinker. Furthermore, they have an Australian Cabernet Sauvignon (2013) knocked down to 359 baht which is also a very decent drinker.

There are bargains out there if you want to look for them, and especially if you don't want to settle for wine which has fruit juice added.

The Australian wasn't Taras was it? Big C Extra in Pattaya had a few bottles at 449 or something whereas everywhere else it is at least 100 baht more and it is very worthwhile at under 500.

I have also picked up some of the Tesco/lotus clearances including some New Zealand Marlborough Sauvignon at 499. Luck of the draw if they have anything and what from week to week unfortunately sad.png

• Like 1

The Australian wasn't Taras was it? Big C Extra in Pattaya had a few bottles at 449 or something whereas everywhere else it is at least 100 baht more and it is very worthwhile at under 500.

I have also picked up some of the Tesco/lotus clearances including some New Zealand Marlborough Sauvignon at 499. Luck of the draw if they have anything and what from week to week unfortunately sad.png

Yes it was Taras 2013 Cabernet Sauvignon, priced at 359 baht a bottle, so I have just stocked up with some more. At that price and knowing the wine, it was just too good to miss.

One thing I ought to mention is that one has to LOOK/SEARCH for wines which have been reduced in price, because I have been told by the GM of Big C that they are not allowed to openly advertise reduced/sale prices on alcohol, so normally you wouldn't realise that some wines have been knocked down unless you carefully scrutinise the shelves and prices.

• Like 1

I'm no expert but today I bought a Hardy's Shiraz, a Lindeman's Premium Selection Shiraz Cabernet and a Bushman's Gully Semillon Sauvignon. All 2012 vintage. All at Tesco Lotus, all 349 baht per bottle. Didn't see the Sauvignon Blanc mentioned just above or I'd have had one of those as well.

I think I have got a bargain for Thailand, considering these offerings are just 60 baht a pop more than Montclair.

• Like 1

No doubt this will have me classed as a heretic but I have found the "Reserva" Thai mulberry wines very quaffable at around 200 baht a bottle.

I was shocked to see on here that in Australia Berri Estates is considered only fit for homeless alcoholics and the like. One of my local bars here sells it from the box and I thought it very acceptable, an improvement on the Montclair -- not that I have any problem with that either.

When I was in the UK I used to drink a fair amount of red Rioja, and in South Africa i liked the Pinotage which I noticed an Indian restaurant on Silom Rd doing at 1000 baht a bottle, not a totally unreasonable mark-up.

Just thought I would mention it.

No doubt this will have me classed as a heretic but I have found the "Reserva" Thai mulberry wines very quaffable at around 200 baht a bottle.

I was shocked to see on here that in Australia Berri Estates is considered only fit for homeless alcoholics and the like. One of my local bars here sells it from the box and I thought it very acceptable, an improvement on the Montclair -- not that I have any problem with that either.

When I was in the UK I used to drink a fair amount of red Rioja, and in South Africa i liked the Pinotage which I noticed an Indian restaurant on Silom Rd doing at 1000 baht a bottle, not a totally unreasonable mark-up.

Just thought I would mention it.

"Classed as a heretic"..........not by me anyway, because if you have found something you like then stick with it. My main point has always been that if I buy wine I want it to be made from grapes, not hiding some fruit juice behind the small print. My other point was that some countries are now adding fruit juice before they export the wine, and there is really no need to do this because there is plenty of wine to go round and they damage their country brand.

As for the Australian Berri Estates red, well I was ridiculed a little because I said I found it quite palatable and for me it was better than Montclair!

Sounds like we have similar tastes because I used to buy quite a bit of Rioja when I was in the UK and I was very fond of it. As for Pinotage, well I've only ever found one here that I liked and believe it or not it was being sold at a knockdown price because it was about six years old........yet it had achieved a certain something I like in a wine because of its age.

• 2 weeks later...

I just tried a bottle of Peter Vella Fresh White, Big C and Macro have it, probably lots of outlets, it was under ฿300 a 750ml bottle, I think ฿290, I'm not a wine snob, but can't drink just any wine, however I found this quite drinkable. It is from Calafornia. I have a bottle of smooth red to drink, if it is any good I will be buying a cask of it, 4 litres for under ฿1,000.

I just tried a bottle of Peter Vella Fresh White, Big C and Macro have it, probably lots of outlets, it was under ฿300 a 750ml bottle, I think ฿290, I'm not a wine snob, but can't drink just any wine, however I found this quite drinkable. It is from Calafornia. I have a bottle of smooth red to drink, if it is any good I will be buying a cask of it, 4 litres for under ฿1,000.

If you like it, then drink it, after all that's what it's all about.

I think you'll find that this is another one of the Montclair type wines, whereby Californian grape juice is imported by Siam Winery, and fermented and bottled in Thailand with some fruit juice added, hence the low price.

If you look on the back label of the bottle somewhere down the bottom of it there will be some Thai writing and in English "Fruit Wine".

Some of the wines which have fruit juice added, actually state it on the bottle/box and IMO that's as it should be.

• Like 1

I think you'll find that this is another one of the Montclair type wines, whereby Californian grape juice is imported by Siam Winery, and fermented and bottled in Thailand with some fruit juice added, hence the low price.

If you look on the back label of the bottle somewhere down the bottom of it there will be some Thai writing and in English "Fruit Wine".

Some of the wines which have fruit juice added, actually state it on the bottle/box and IMO that's as it should be.

In addition to xylophone's points, the give away is the orange/red stamp over the top of the bottle. This means the product was made locally.

Speaking of California, I'm currently touring Sonoma and Russian River over Xmas and New Year, I've been thoroughly impressed by what I've tasted so far.

I'm a little over Pinot Noir and Chardonnay (these are the bread & butter of the region) so I've been hitting wineries that push the envelope on alternate varietals.

These wines won't be found in Thailand anytime soon but I'm sure in a few years they'll hopefully make their way over.

• Like 1

In addition to xylophone's points, the give away is the orange/red stamp over the top of the bottle. This means the product was made locally.

Speaking of California, I'm currently touring Sonoma and Russian River over Xmas and New Year, I've been thoroughly impressed by what I've tasted so far.

I'm a little over Pinot Noir and Chardonnay (these are the bread & butter of the region) so I've been hitting wineries that push the envelope on alternate varietals.

These wines won't be found in Thailand anytime soon but I'm sure in a few years they'll hopefully make their way over.

A la Fiano....... it can be done

• Like 1

A la Fiano....... it can be done

Exactly mate... I had some really good Rousanne, Grüner Veltliner and Gewürtztraminer... The Gewürtz wasn't your stereotypical 100g of residual sugar which makes them very approachable. Granted, I had some very good Chardonnay and Pinot Noir but I didn't strike out as often on the alternative varietals as opposed to the mainstream stuff, I had some pretty shocking bog standard varietals.

The yanks are super parochial about their Chardonnay and Pinot, jesus christ, you would think (listening to them) they invented the stuff... I think winning the "Judgement of Paris" went slightly to their heads. Thankfully I didn't venture into Napa, Claret may have spilled if I had to listen to too much more of it, it was bad enough I had to listen to 2 days of my brother-in-law's brother harp on about it ;)

*written whilst finishing off a bottle of Australian Sangiovese I opened the night I flew out 2 weeks ago and left in the fridge (took it out and sat it on the bench for an hour to open up). It's bloody fantastic!

• Like 1

Grant, whilst over there did you try (or have you tried) any old vine Zinfandel?

I have noticed some here and it is "Ravenswood Old Vine Zinfandel 2009"........and although it is priced at around 1500 baht a bottle I have been tempted to give it a go.

Any feedback??

Grant, whilst over there did you try (or have you tried) any old vine Zinfandel?

I have noticed some here and it is "Ravenswood Old Vine Zinfandel 2009"........and although it is priced at around 1500 baht a bottle I have been tempted to give it a go.

Any feedback??

For what it is worth I remember drinking Ravenswood wines (not sure about that specific one) and I think you may be a bit disappointed at 1500 baht.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Oh god, I forgot about Zinfandel, another varietal that the yanks claims as their own.

Indeed I was subjected to a lot of 'old vine' Zinfandel. To be honest I've never liked it nor rated it, it was funny to hear their definition of 'old vine', apparently 5-10 year old vines were considered 'old' in some parts, granted there's no legally defining age for the term 'old' but looking at Australia - as an example - old vines (again nothing legally binding, more of an agreement between winemakers) are considered old from about 35, so suffice to say I wasn't popular with the 'old vine' Zinfandel crowd - "what would you Australians know, all you do is Shiraz and Chardonay" was commonly heard.

And lord help you if you try to tell them that Primitivo is exactly the same grape tongue.png

5-10 year old vines in Australia (probably anywhere other than 'Murica) are considered young and only starting to produce decent fruit at the 5 year mark.

But 'Muricans like to consider themselves different and won't subject themselves to conformity. Calofornia Champagne is a classic example of this.

Suffice to say it's good to be 'home' and I can console myself with some Australian plonk safe in the knowledge that I'm not going to need to pop half-a-dozen antacids before bed or fear of dying in my sleep after going into diabetic shock.

As I recall, Primitivo and Zinfandel are related through the "father" being a Croatian grape although I have never tasted them together in a blind tasting to be able to differentiate, to be honest.

I do know that Wine Connection used to sell and Italian wine which was a blend of Negroamaro and Zinfandel, according to the label, however I suspect it was Negroamaro and Primitivo as the two now seen to be somewhat interchangeable!

On the subject of Italian wine, and only for Italian wine lovers, Tesco Lotus are selling off their 2005 and 2006 Brunello di Montalcino (quite possibly one of the best Italian wines aside from the "super Tuscans") for 699 baht a bottle, whereas the full price was at one time 2500 baht a bottle, then down to 1499 baht and now 699 baht.

They are not from the top producers, however if you are an Italian oenophile then you may wish to try some. I bought the 2006 because it was a very good year, however the wine was past its peak and in the later stages of its life although not altogether unpleasant if you like a lighter style of wine with just a little bit of what was once it's "class" showing through.

Oh god, I forgot about Zinfandel, another varietal that the yanks claims as their own.

Indeed I was subjected to a lot of 'old vine' Zinfandel. To be honest I've never liked it nor rated it, it was funny to hear their definition of 'old vine', apparently 5-10 year old vines were considered 'old' in some parts, granted there's no legally defining age for the term 'old' but looking at Australia - as an example - old vines (again nothing legally binding, more of an agreement between winemakers) are considered old from about 35, so suffice to say I wasn't popular with the 'old vine' Zinfandel crowd - "what would you Australians know, all you do is Shiraz and Chardonay" was commonly heard.

And lord help you if you try to tell them that Primitivo is exactly the same grape tongue.png

5-10 year old vines in Australia (probably anywhere other than 'Murica) are considered young and only starting to produce decent fruit at the 5 year mark.

But 'Muricans like to consider themselves different and won't subject themselves to conformity. Calofornia Champagne is a classic example of this.

Suffice to say it's good to be 'home' and I can console myself with some Australian plonk safe in the knowledge that I'm not going to need to pop half-a-dozen antacids before bed or fear of dying in my sleep after going into diabetic shock.

As I recall, Primitivo and Zinfandel are related through the "father" being a Croatian grape although I have never tasted them together in a blind tasting to be able to differentiate, to be honest.

I do know that Wine Connection used to sell and Italian wine which was a blend of Negroamaro and Zinfandel, according to the label, however I suspect it was Negroamaro and Primitivo as the two now seen to be somewhat interchangeable!

On the subject of Italian wine, and only for Italian wine lovers, Tesco Lotus are selling off their 2005 and 2006 Brunello di Montalcino (quite possibly one of the best Italian wines aside from the "super Tuscans") for 699 baht a bottle, whereas the full price was at one time 2500 baht a bottle, then down to 1499 baht and now 699 baht.

They are not from the top producers, however if you are an Italian oenophile then you may wish to try some. I bought the 2006 because it was a very good year, however the wine was past its peak and in the later stages of its life although not altogether unpleasant if you like a lighter style of wine with just a little bit of what was once it's "class" showing through.

I used to really enjoy a good Brunello but cannot say I ever noticed it in the two local Tesco's here in Pattaya - I will have to have a look. However I am a bit put off by your description - any good ones should still be going strong at that age?

I used to really enjoy a good Brunello but cannot say I ever noticed it in the two local Tesco's here in Pattaya - I will have to have a look. However I am a bit put off by your description - any good ones should still be going strong at that age?

Yes "topt" have to agree with you about this Brunello because it was a disappointment for me knowing that this particular wine should age a lot better than this one had.

Having said that, this was not from one of the better producers, being from the equivalent of a "cooperative" (at least at one time) and I suspect that, along with the storage/temperature here in Thailand, had contributed to this wine being past its best at such a seemingly young age.

It should also be remembered that because the wine spends two years in oak, and then is held for another couple of years (perhaps three) before it is released, then only the sturdiest/better wines from the Sangiovese grape will live up to the wine's promise and perhaps wine from the "lesser producers" just does not do this?

Any feedback??

For what it is worth I remember drinking Ravenswood wines (not sure about that specific one) and I think you may be a bit disappointed at 1500 baht.

Well "topt", I did try the Ravenswood old vine Zinfandel 2009, mainly because it had been reduced in price to clear at 399 baht per bottle, so I thought I'd give it a go, not really expecting too much.

I'm not really a fan of Primitivo (its brother/sister grape) because I find it a bit rustic and dry on the finish, So I was quite prepared for this to be likewise, however I was very pleasantly surprised because this was nothing like what I had imagined, and whilst drinking it I was trying to classify exactly what I was tasting but it was extremely difficult!!

It didn't have much of a nose, perhaps a little bit of a hint of "raisins"; the colour was good and just slightly fading and the wine was in good condition, but what was perplexing was exactly what handle I could put on the flavours – – first of all I thought I detected something similar to a French Northern Rhône wine, then perhaps a hint of Cabernet/Merlot tucked away in there, but it was a moving target and I was still non the wiser by the time I was three quarters of the way through the bottle.

It did get me to thinking that perhaps there was something other than Zinfandel in this wine, so this morning my curiosity got the better of me and I got onto their website (I usually don't like using Google for anything like this because I want to keep the grey matter active by delving into its memory banks to pull out 40 years of wine knowledge) and sure enough I found that this particular wine (from the Lodi region/area) was about 77% zinfandel and 23% Petite Sirah, which could explain the reason I couldn't put a handle on it.

Conclusion: I will be buying some more at 399 baht per bottle when I visit Tesco Lotus today.

From what you have said, you live in Pattaya and do not always find the same prices in your Tesco Lotus, however just a thought, perhaps you could approach the GM of the store and tell him/her of the wine sales that are going on here and ask if he would be interested in replicating it?? Nothing ventured nothing gained?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, long time not see....

I have many excuses, but I won't go into them LOL

All good here.

I brought two bottles of Spanish pats Negra with us in November.

Drank one bottle on my birthday in January.

It had travelled surprisingly well and I'm sad to say it made miss Spain!

The last bottle should go this weekend, wife's birthday.

Where we live we have no access to shops that sell wine. Oh I can get anything to do with physical work though and quite cheaply lol

Today we are in BKK for the night. Wife wants to go to some special temples here "for lucky" lol

So today we visited China Town and I found Chinese plum wine at 200 b/ bottle. I used to drink it when I worked in Taiwan in 1969, i decal how lovely it tasted, really fruity.....

Well I just opened this and tasted it. Ugh, like medicine.

10% alcohol, not fruity, nothing like I remembered. Will have to go back to the south of Taiwan and see it I can recapture the past, maybe not......

At least it has alcohol in it so not all bad.

Question: should I try the lychee wine or save that for another day, 14%, advice please.

Cheers lol

• Like 1

Hi, long time not see....

I have many excuses, but I won't go into them LOL

All good here.

I brought two bottles of Spanish pats Negra with us in November.

Drank one bottle on my birthday in January.

It had travelled surprisingly well and I'm sad to say it made miss Spain!

The last bottle should go this weekend, wife's birthday.

Where we live we have no access to shops that sell wine. Oh I can get anything to do with physical work though and quite cheaply lol

Today we are in BKK for the night. Wife wants to go to some special temples here "for lucky" lol

So today we visited China Town and I found Chinese plum wine at 200 b/ bottle. I used to drink it when I worked in Taiwan in 1969, i decal how lovely it tasted, really fruity.....

Well I just opened this and tasted it. Ugh, like medicine.

10% alcohol, not fruity, nothing like I remembered. Will have to go back to the south of Taiwan and see it I can recapture the past, maybe not......

At least it has alcohol in it so not all bad.

Question: should I try the lychee wine or save that for another day, 14%, advice please.

Cheers lol

Hello again laislica, welcome back to the thread.

Quote: "Question: should I try the lychee wine or save that for another day, 14%, advice please".

To use a well known saying..........."up to you"!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by xylophone
  • Like 1

Sorry if I'm a bit late putting this on the wine thread but I forgot until it returned to the front page today.

Tesco Lotus Chalong (new one, Chaofa West) has been having a wine clearance with loads of wines at under 200 baht a bottle, including many that are priced at 600 baht plus at other places right now.

Still quite a few bottles left when I was in there this evening but I stocked up earlier in the week: 33 bottles of assorted vino for around 5,000 baht. Named brands and wine types as well, mostly Australian but plenty of Chilean and a few other offerings.

I don't know whether other Tescos have been doing the same but even their regular prices seem much more competitive than elsewhere with many perfectly drinkable options at under 400 baht.

• Like 1

Sorry if I'm a bit late putting this on the wine thread but I forgot until it returned to the front page today.

Tesco Lotus Chalong (new one, Chaofa West) has been having a wine clearance with loads of wines at under 200 baht a bottle, including many that are priced at 600 baht plus at other places right now.

Still quite a few bottles left when I was in there this evening but I stocked up earlier in the week: 33 bottles of assorted vino for around 5,000 baht. Named brands and wine types as well, mostly Australian but plenty of Chilean and a few other offerings.

I don't know whether other Tescos have been doing the same but even their regular prices seem much more competitive than elsewhere with many perfectly drinkable options at under 400 baht.

I've seen those too but many of the whites look really dark, harder to tell if the reds are "off" or spoiled. I think it's a buyer beware situation as I highly doubt going back in with your spoiled bottle will get you an exchange at Tesco.

I've seen those too but many of the whites look really dark, harder to tell if the reds are "off" or spoiled. I think it's a buyer beware situation as I highly doubt going back in with your spoiled bottle will get you an exchange at Tesco.

Yes, you make a good point.

I had a look yesterday and by the looks of things most of the reds would be okay (subject to storage of course) because they are Australian and are no more than two or three years old, and generally there is enough fruit extraction and tannins to keep them going.

I did notice that they are clearing out a lot of the Hardys wines and I have tasted a couple of these ("Stamp" range) and they are fine. One I am not too sure about is the new range from Hardy's called simply, "VR" because I'm sure I noticed on the back of the label that these wines were about 10.5% alcohol, and that plus the price would suggest that they are for immediate drinking.

Have to agree with you on the whites looking really dark and indeed I noticed some for sale the other day (Chilean Chardonnay) which were the 2006 vintage and certainly looked way past their best (very dark/brown almost). Certainly any Sauvignon Blanc older than two or three years should be viewed carefully.

As you quite rightly say, "buyer beware".

I did notice that they are clearing out a lot of the Hardys wines and I have tasted a couple of these ("Stamp" range) and they are fine. One I am not too sure about is the new range from Hardy's called simply, "VR" because I'm sure I noticed on the back of the label that these wines were about 10.5% alcohol, and that plus the price would suggest that they are for immediate drinking.

"buyer beware" indeed with the Varietal Range from Hardy's, given that it's essentially "Non Vintage" stock, you'll be unable to tell when the fruit was produced.

With that, I would say that it has an extremely limited shelf life, even the red, you're probably looking at 1-2 years max. It certainly appears to be made in a ready to drink now style. Wouldn't be surprised to see a big ol' "Fruit Wine" somewhere on the back label either.

• Like 1

Tried a few of these cheapies and the reds have been fine. I bought nothing older than 2011, white or red, and I got there early enough to get a few excellent bargains. 88th Drop Shiraz 2012 very good; exactly the same wine over 700 baht in Villa. I paid under 200. Bushmans Gully 2012 Shiraz perfectly acceptable and now on sale as our house wine. Paid 142 baht a bottle.

Mainly bought red as many of the whites were too old but the three whites I've sampled have been perfectly drinkable. Certainly went down well at a birthday party last week!

I think only the dregs left on the shelves now.

Edited by madmitch

Tried a few of these cheapies and the reds have been fine. I bought nothing older than 2011, white or red, and I got there early enough to get a few excellent bargains. 88th Drop Shiraz 2012 very good; exactly the same wine over 700 baht in Villa. I paid under 200. Bushmans Gully 2012 Shiraz perfectly acceptable and now on sale as our house wine. Paid 142 baht a bottle.

Mainly bought red as many of the whites were too old but the three whites I've sampled have been perfectly drinkable. Certainly went down well at a birthday party last week!

So it was YOU..........who took all of the good wines because there was nothing but "dregs" left when I got there yesterday!!!!

Sounds like it was a good plan of yours and certainly the 88th drop 2012 was a damn good buy, as I bought some when they were on special at Tesco Lotus on the bypass road. And cannot complain about Bushman's Gully at that price.

On the one hand, good on you – – and on the other, please share your good fortune sooner!!

• Like 1

"buyer beware" indeed with the Varietal Range from Hardy's, given that it's essentially "Non Vintage" stock, you'll be unable to tell when the fruit was produced.

With that, I would say that it has an extremely limited shelf life, even the red, you're probably looking at 1-2 years max. It certainly appears to be made in a ready to drink now style. Wouldn't be surprised to see a big ol' "Fruit Wine" somewhere on the back label either.

In my mind anyway, there has been some confusion over the Hardys VR range because the earlier wines had a vintage year on them, meaning that they were only from that year, whereas the very new ones don't have, so I think your comment about "non-vintage stock" is probably on the mark.

For those folk not aware of this "marketing", if the wine does not have a vintage year of production on it, then it is almost certainly a blend of a few years, usually made for ready drinking as GrantSmith says, and it results in a cheaper wine as well as helping the winemaker to get rid of old stock, or a glut of wine.

GS.......... don't think I spied the "fruit wine" words on the back of the label, however as I need glasses for small print now, it could quite easily be there!!!

So it was YOU..........who took all of the good wines because there was nothing but "dregs" left when I got there yesterday!!!!

Sounds like it was a good plan of yours and certainly the 88th drop 2012 was a damn good buy, as I bought some when they were on special at Tesco Lotus on the bypass road. And cannot complain about Bushman's Gully at that price.

On the one hand, good on you – – and on the other, please share your good fortune sooner!!

Yes, I do apologise for that but I completely forgot. But on the day I bought all mine, there were a couple of other buyers filling their trolleys, one Thai guy in particular grabbing all the better white wine options. I think my timing was just lucky. I went in to buy something completely different!

• Like 1