Certificate Of Residence

I'd like to get a 'certificate of residence' but I'm a little confused, perhaps someone could help me.

I need this for three reasons.

1 To prove my home address to a foreign and local bank as I don't have any utility bills in my name

2 To obtain a Thai driving license based on my full current UK driving license. I don't have an international permit

3 To purchase and register a car in my own name

From looking through the forums it appears that I can get one of these by filling out the TM.18 form which is titled 'Application for Substitute of Certificate of Residence'.

There's also a TM.20 form which appears to be something very similar.

I'm in Hua Hin and will use the local immigration office here.

Is the T.18 form the correct one to use for the above purposes ?

just go along to immigration with proof of residence,house book,letter off landlord,plus id of the owner,wife or landlord,passport and not forgetting the fee which can be anything they ask for[korat 500bht] but dont get one from the embassy.

just go along to immigration with proof of residence,house book,letter off landlord,plus id of the owner,wife or landlord,passport and not forgetting the fee which can be anything they ask for[korat 500bht] but dont get one from the embassy.

If he has a house book would he then not have a landlord? I thought a house book would indicate he (wife) owns the house?

I'd recommend trying to get a Certificate of Residence with a 90 day validity. My local car registration office said they don't even get started processing the registration until 45 days at which time my 30 day certification letter became invalid. She said I should have gotten a 90 validity. Back to immigration and the officer said she would not provide a certification letter longer than 30 days. Another ฿500. to the immigration lady for a new letter is what it took to keep the gears greased.

I'd have liked to take care of all the details right out of the chute, but at least it provided a days activity for the Missus as she scurried around taking care of these important details.

I'd get the 90 DAYS IF YOU CAN.

Edit: I just realized maybe you meant a copy of the landlord's house book. We have such a pile of papers (copies) covering everything from my arrival card to passport stamp to house contract and etc that I lose track. The Missus handles those details.

"house book,letter off landlord,plus id of the owner,wife or landlord,passport."

Edited by watcharacters

Check with the Immigration office that you use. They will tell you exactly what form (18 or 20), and specifically which documents you need. Normally the form will only have the date it is issued, not a date when it expires

Unfortunately expiration is based upon the rules of which department is requiring the form (in your case the Land Transport Department). It has been reported here at Thai Visa that most government offices will accept it if issued within the last 90 days

Thanks for the information. I'll complete a TM.18 and a TM.20 before I go to the immigration office. It's only a few miles away so when there is a problem I can easily get it rectified and return later.

if you are married go to the local amphur with wife and head of house, marriage certificate and kids also if any, apply for yellow book, 3-4 days simple easy and in that Thai, so all dumb Thais can recognize it

It depends on what the local amphur office requires. Mine ended in total frustration after two trips to Bangkok to get the required documentation and then being accused of presenting fake documentation by an old "battle ax" whose elevator didn't go all the way to the top! I was asked by the village chief to go back after she retired, but never did.