How Much A Month Does One Need To If Starting A Family And Living In Pats

ghworker2010

When I married 8-9 years ago, 35k baht/mo was plenty to live modestly and comfortably in a very nice 2 BR condo in Jomtien with a seaview just off the beach and also cover all our living needs/wants. Thank God I left that cesspool of a city and built a beautiful home with plenty of land, fresh air, and scenery in a safe, clean environment just outside of Udon 4 years ago.

Udon is much cheaper than Pattaya, but living essentially the same lifestyle (pretty darn good IMO) but without having to pay rent anymore, the wife barely stretches the 35k baht/mo house budget to the end of each month. Our 11 yo daughter attends the "best" public school (I still home school her and our 3 year old son to international standards, though). Regarding schools, you are either going to PAY for a substandard education or send them to a public school and get a substandard education for FREE. There is no getting around that unless you fork over BIG bucks for the "real" International schools.

IMO, raising a family in Pattaya is irresponsible and crazy. It's way too dangerous, vice-filled, and polluted (air, noise, traffic, etc.) with far too many predators of every type and description lurking about. Some people must remain there for work to remain in LOS. Short of that, one would be responsible and wise to move one's family elsewhere in the Kingdom.

To each their own dude, but instead of just saying you moved from Pattaya to Udon and you're very happy with your life there now, why do you feel the need to slag Pattaya off to those of us that live here and are reading this, and also to the OP who is about to move here?

If you read his posts you would see that he mentioned that his wife runs a business here, so presumably he has a reasonable idea about what the place is all about.

As far as I am aware, no-one puts a gun to anyone's head and forces them to visit Pattaya. No-one puts a gun to anyone's head and forces them to live in Pattaya. We are all free to choose and a number of us choose to live here because we actually like it here.

OK, we get it. It wasn't for you. You prefer living in an environment such as just outside of Udon. Nice. I am happy that you're happy there. But please don't be so presumptious, judgemental and condescending to think that just because it wasn't right for you it can't be right for anyone.

Yes indeed, would you have chosen Udon as your wonderland if your wife/wife's family hadn't already owned big chunk of land there which you have been able to build your house on at minimal cost?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic