Why My Taxi Driver Behaved That Way?

Renoir

Bangkok taxis are some of the world's least expensive.

Fares are low.

Don't expect world class service.

Some of these guys will try to determine if YOU know where you're going.

It helps to be familiar with a BTS stop or a monument near your hotel so that he knows that you know.

Keep your bags in the car if you can. If he doesn't turn on the meter tell him to stop. Get out of the cab.

If you speak little or no Thai they can be hard to control.

If he does succeed in cheating you, it will only be for a few dollars.

Suck it up. Or if it's costing you precious hours of sleep, hop onto this forum and bleat away.

If the guy speaks some English, and gets you where you want to go, why not give him a tip?

• Like 2

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The scam I hate the most is when I "bargain" in Bangkok for a taxi to go to Pattaya. I have learned to ask, "you driver, yes" (of course I get smile and the driver says "chi"). I get in the taxi and once out of the city center he tells me his "time" using the taxi will be around 3pm so he will switch me to his "brother" who is "good driver". The bastard then drives into a parking lot on the edge of the city and then I have to switch cars and the car is not a taxi, but just a old used car with a driver that cannnot speak English. Totally pisses me off. But what can you do once you are in the taxi and get stopped in an empty area?

clap2.gif You fall for it once and that's a mistake but again? anyway why take a taxi to Pattaya? You can get a MV for less than 100 baht in VM. cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif But then again why go there anyway it's a shitehole.

Consider yourself lucky to have made it safely to your destination.

I never ever take a taxi to or from, the airport.

Am I the only one not feeling safe being driven at 160 kph on an elevated tollway by a moron high on yabba and there are no <deleted> seat belts in the taxi ?

Am I the only one not feeling safe being driven at 160 kph on an elevated tollway by a moron high on yabba and there are no <deleted> seat belts in the taxi ?

I often take a taxi to the airport, simply because there is no viable alternative in Bangkok. If he goes too fast, I just tell him to slow down.

All taxis I've been in had seat belts. I haven't experienced a taxi driver high on yaba for 10 years or so - when was the last time you took a taxi?

Edited by onthemoon

I often take a taxi to the airport, simple because there is no viable alternative in Bangkok. If he goes too fast, I just tell him to slow down.

All taxis I've been in had seat belts. I haven't experienced a taxi driver high on yaba for 10 years or so - when was the last time you took a taxi?

I often find the seat belts have been tucked out of the way unusable on taxis; but if they're not, I make a point of using them, and tipping the driver with reference to the seat belts. Actually, I prefer to sit in the front, as there's always a seat belt in the front.

SC

As was mentioned earlier, there is only one way to take a taxi at the airport without being scammed: The official public taxi queue. If you take a wild taxi at the departure level, don't complain if you get cheated: You tried to cheat the system, so you asked for it.

It's not 100 Baht you are trying to save, it's 50 Baht. Is it really worth it? I think the OP has shown that it isn't.

Never had a problem. Accept it can happen though if your're not a Thai speaker and you never stated whether the address was in Thai ? I often go upstairs to departures and grab a cab dropping passengers off as many Thai's do, it's quicker for me, know where I'm going and speak Thai. OK, bad habit I guess but surely I'm not the only one on here to do so ? But in the post above, where did the OP say he did the same ?

Edited by roamer

Generally never had any bad experiences with the Bangkok Cabbies, apart from being switched to a private limo at the airport once.

One taxi driver took me to a BTS station instead and said get on the train, in hindsight he was absolutely right, it was by far the best way to get into town.

I had one take me to the embassy once, and left all my luggage in his car, he said he was going to fill up with gas and I let him go.. the thought suddenly dawned on me that I would never see him again as he had all my luggage and laptop etc, but I was pleasantly surprised when he was waiting for me outside the embassy gates.

I don't think all these Taxi boys are bad, if I had to hazard a guess I'd say only 5% are bad eggs.

Another thing is that they will never admit that they don't have a clue where you want to go, but will still try nonetheless, much to your frustration.

Edited by Satcommlee
  • Like 1

I am sorry you got this scammer. He makes a commission on that hotel, it happens. I have a Thai wife and a private driver in Bangkok and in

Chiang mai too, so I am lucky. Be careful please!

Taxi drivers the world over, possibly with the exception of London, often get lost or do not know where certain buildings/hotels actually are. Your guy probably found it by accident in the end ! I've been 'lost' in Taxi's in Hong Kong, Macau, New York, Brussels and Paris, to mention a few.

London is different because they have to take tests and know just about everything there is to know about the City before they get a license.

No didn't get lost!

As was mentioned earlier, there is only one way to take a taxi at the airport without being scammed: The official public taxi queue. If you take a wild taxi at the departure level, don't complain if you get cheated: You tried to cheat the system, so you asked for it.

It's not 100 Baht you are trying to save, it's 50 Baht. Is it really worth it? I think the OP has shown that it isn't.

Two ways. Go to the AOT limo stand (there's one right outside the domestic arrivals) and get ready to pay a lot. But you'll get a fine ride...

That's what the Thai guys I work with do when they come home from 2 weeks offshore (company pays). Me, I take the taxis.

Never had a problem. Accept it can happen though if your're not a Thai speaker and you never stated whether the address was in Thai ? I often go upstairs to departures and grab a cab dropping passengers off as many Thai's do, it's quicker for me, know where I'm going and speak Thai. OK, bad habit I guess but surely I'm not the only one on here to do so ? But in the post above, where did the OP say he did the same ?

He said the gave the address to the driver rather than the people at the counter. He did not mention about the post card he received. Hence, it is likely that he did not go to the official taxi queue.

I speak Thai and I know the roads. Even though, I always take the official taxi queue. The extra fee of THB 50 gives me peace of mind.

• Like 1

Two ways. Go to the AOT limo stand (there's one right outside the domestic arrivals) and get ready to pay a lot. But you'll get a fine ride...

That's what the Thai guys I work with do when they come home from 2 weeks offshore (company pays). Me, I take the taxis.

Correct, the AOT limo is also reliable, but expensive for our thinking. I paid more for a taxi from Washington Dulles (IAD) into town for a regular taxi though.

Bangkok taxis are some of the world's least expensive.

Fares are low.

Don't expect world class service.

Some of these guys will try to determine if YOU know where you're going.

It helps to be familiar with a BTS stop or a monument near your hotel so that he knows that you know.

Keep your bags in the car if you can. If he doesn't turn on the meter tell him to stop. Get out of the cab.

If you speak little or no Thai they can be hard to control.

If he does succeed in cheating you, it will only be for a few dollars.

Suck it up. Or if it's costing you precious hours of sleep, hop onto this forum and bleat away.

If the guy speaks some English, and gets you where you want to go, why not give him a tip?

If he does not turn on the meter, wait until you are about halfway to your'e destination then tell him to put on the meter, or you will call the BIB. then you will get the trip for about half fare. We all know why some taxis will not use meters.

Answer is yes . Welcome to the taxi scum of bangkok renoir.Did you get the drivers number and name from inside taxi? Then you can get the phone number to report the driver and wait while nothing happens. Sent from my GT-S7500L using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

"the taxi scum of bangkok",

dont know what city you are living in, but i rarely have any issues with taxi drivers in Bangkok.

​seems odd to let an isolated incident speak for the behavior of thousands of individuals

You tried to beat the system so you asked for it ???? They are trying to cheat you for 50 Baht. I will cheat anybody who tries to take money of me unfairly.

I often take a taxi to the airport, simply because there is no viable alternative in Bangkok. If he goes too fast, I just tell him to slow down.

Absolute rubbish. They may have seat belts, but all of them hide the buckles under the seats so that you cannot fasten your seat belt. This is a fact.

Absolute rubbish. They may have seat belts, but all of them hide the buckles under the seats so that you cannot fasten your seat belt. This is a fact.

No it's not. It's an exaggeration. Some of them hide the buckles. Some do not.

• Like 1

never had problems at Bangkok airport, just go to the girl at the stand at the general taxi area(downstairs) and tell her where you want to go, she gives you an amount that is usually pretty good then directs a driver to you, They take you to where you want to go and drop you off and you pay them the agreed amount, too easy.

• Like 2

never had problems at Bangkok airport, just go to the girl at the stand at the general taxi area(downstairs) and tell her where you want to go, she gives you an amount that is usually pretty good then directs a driver to you, They take you to where you want to go and drop you off and you pay them the agreed amount, too easy.

It's no longer meter plus 50 baht then? :(

It's no longer meter plus 50 baht then? sad.png
It still is. smile.png

Exactly why would any Taxi driver, let alone all of them, deliberately hide the seat-belt buckles under the seats?

Is this some taxi-driver code of honor to best ensure that there are not surviving witnesses after a crash?

Is it to ensure that passengers have something to moan about?

Or is it just your paranoia?

Surely it is the lazy car cleaners that tip the seat forward while cleaning/looking for dropped loose change, that then fail to put the buckles back.

never had problems at Bangkok airport, just go to the girl at the stand at the general taxi area(downstairs) and tell her where you want to go, she gives you an amount that is usually pretty good then directs a driver to you, They take you to where you want to go and drop you off  and you pay them the agreed amount, too easy.

Sorry am i missing something?, u agree a price with the girl at the desk?, all your supposed to do is state your destination, get your receipt, and then get in your taxi where the driver starts the meter, any BS you can call to complain. You've been getting scammed mate, never heard of haggling at the counter before or witnessed it and I'm there twice a month.