Four People Arrested Over 5 Million Baht Property Scam In Chanthaburi

webfact

Four scammers arrested in Chanthaburi after taking a combined of 5 million baht

Chanthaburi, 25 May 2013 (NNT) – Four scammers who acted as real estate agents were arrested in Chanthaburi Province after they had taken a combined of 5 million baht.

Three male and one female suspects were arrested by Chanthaburi police.

According to the police, two of the suspects would disguise as real estate agents and the other two would act as customers who were looking to buy a land but did not have enough money.

So the two customers would go and get acquainted with the local people in the area before borrowing their money.

The police said the latest victim of this scam was a 78-year-old who lives in Tha Mai District of Chanthaburi as 500,000 baht of his money was taken.

The police also believe that there are still several scammers affiliating with the 4 suspects in other provinces like Sa Kaeo, Nakhon Nayok, and Prachinburi province.

The police have, therefore, urged all people to be vigilant and report on any suspicious acts.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2013-05-25 footer_n.gif

the latest victim of this scam was a 78-year-old

Do you think you'll have all your marbles if you ever get to 78? biggrin.png

He seemed to be smart enough to still have 500,000 baht!

But really, just too trusting.

• Like 1

The victim does not loan them money - they are asked to pool it and are promised a part of the property at a really good price.

They came around a tried to get my wife in on one of these scams for $250,000 and she said: "fine - we can form an escrow account with a third party, where is your money?" and that changed their minds - suddenly the deal fell apart.

Obviously having a clue helps but in the manner in which business is often done here it is not that hard to rip people off.

• Like 2

The victim does not loan them money - they are asked to pool it and are promised a part of the property at a really good price.

They came around a tried to get my wife in on one of these scams for $250,000 and she said: "fine - we can form an escrow account with a third party, where is your money?" and that changed their minds - suddenly the deal fell apart.

Obviously having a clue helps but in the manner in which business is often done here it is not that hard to rip people off.

Interesting they asked for $$$$$ and not baht.

• Like 2

ok that makes it a bit more clear guess that part was lost in translation

Sorry that should read baht - I wish it was $$$$

Why should anyone with 78 not have all his marbles??? I am 72 and I think fairly up to date with technology etc, I would NEVER fall for a scam like this

Congratulations, we are the same age. Must get together some time!

And the root cause behind falling for this kind of scam is................... yes to make easy money which is part of a Thai's DNA. Regardless of age I have no sympathy for any of these money grabbing Muppets. I know it's harsh but that is the only language they understand. Stupid is What Stupid Does. coffee1.gif

Greed and not loss of mind is what parts a fool from their cash. I've met many a youngster that have fallen for offers to good to be true. Needless to say, they always are to good to be true.

I knew one girl in her 20s that sunk 7000 pounds into a women's only get rich quick scheme, got double that back and put the whole lot back in and persuaded her friends to do the same. She told them if they lost their cash she'd pay them back. Lost her house paying her friends back.

Greed clouds people's judgement every time.

The police also believe that there are still several scammers affiliating with the 4 suspects in other provinces like Sa Kaeo, Nakhon Nayok, and Prachinburi province.

They're all over Thailand for gods sake, wake up.

eh how stupid can one be to lend money to strangers and then not just a few bath but half a million

Amazing Thailand they all get a darwin award clap2.gifclap2.gifcheesy.gif

Have a bit of sympathy!

>the latest victim of this scam was a 78-year-old

Don't know about you, whacko but "The Oracle" does. Are you wearing socks?

Why should anyone with 78 not have all his marbles??? I am 72 and I think fairly up to date with technology etc, I would NEVER fall for a scam like this

6 more years to go... Let's see how you are at that time wink.png

laugh.png

These types of scams are all over Thailand. They have another one that works in the same way where everyone pools their money so that when one of them needs a loan, they have it, and everyone earns a percentage on the return. So they sucker a few people into giving them money and vanish. Police are often in on the scam and "guarantee" the people asking for the money. I've known a few who have fallen victim to this, and the dummies keep falling for it over, and over and over again.

Smart lady. She is worth her weight in baht. :-)

I have a good friend who just turned 90 and has more marbles than I will ever have.

These types of scams are all over Thailand. They have another one that works in the same way where everyone pools their money so that when one of them needs a loan, they have it, and everyone earns a percentage on the return. So they sucker a few people into giving them money and vanish. Police are often in on the scam and "guarantee" the people asking for the money. I've known a few who have fallen victim to this, and the dummies keep falling for it over, and over and over again.

Wrong, they are all over the world, idiots trying to get money that the owners have worked hard for!
  • Like 1

Don't know about you, whacko but "The Oracle" does. Are you wearing socks?

Not wearing them - they've been in a drawer for the last 11 years.

Yes, and they went for $250,000 USD, not a bad con. For Thais to even approach a mark at this level is noteworthy.

6 more years to go... Let's see how you are at that time wink.png

True enough. A stroke or other debilitating event could happen in the next second.