New Build In Bangkok, Pilings Or Slab?

Hi Guys,

Big question for you learned ones out there!

Starting a single story house build in a few weeks.

The house will be 140 square meters and will be in the Lad praw area, which is prone to sinking.

Was planning on having 14 pilings @ 21 meters deep and have been quoted 180,000.

However, would a 140 square meter concrete slab 1.5 meters thick reinforced with steel be a viable alternative????

Would very much appreciate any and all comments before i get started

Cheers

i would say pilings, bangkok is built on clay which is subject to change and shift, and the water table can also change seasonally.

the last thing you would want is for your floating slab to actually float.

every construction i have ever seen undertaken beyond a shed or garage has been on piles

Edited by joeaverage

Density of reinforced concrete is about 2,400 kg/m3. A 'slab' of 1.5m thick will place a surcharge load on the soil at 3,600 kg/m2, almost 3 times the bearing capacity of the soil under it, and this does not include loads imposed by the house.

The structure will not float, but sink instead...laugh.png

Use piles, or be prepared for the house to have a half basement instead of a ground floor.

We're just north of you in Ban Pathum on riverside clay (actually the old brickworks site). We have 27 x 16m piles for our 2 story home.

21m seems overkill for a single storey, is that what your contractor is recommending?

Piles are driven to the stage where they won't go any deeper, most of ours only went 12-14m anyway.

We're just north of you in Ban Pathum on riverside clay (actually the old brickworks site). We have 27 x 16m piles for our 2 story home.

21m seems overkill for a single storey, is that what your contractor is recommending?

Piles are driven to the stage where they won't go any deeper, most of ours only went 12-14m anyway.

Soft clay layer is deeper as location approaches Samut Prakan - 14m in Wang Noi to 26m in Samut Prakan.

I live in western Bangkok and in my moobaan consisting of two story homes, the developer uses piles 17 meters in length. Heck, we had some outdoor concrete pads (approx. 5 inches thick) with tiles laid around the house last month and the developer used 2 meter piles spaced every meter or so. In the Bangkok area only going with a concrete slab with no supporting piles would probably be a mistake...a mistake to show up in s...l....o....w, uneven sinking, cracks appearing in the wall and floor, etc. A person shouldn't skimp on the foundation.

Cheers for the replies guys,

Looks like pilings it is.

Yes, the contractor has recommended up to 21m.

Does the 180k quote seem resonable for 14 pilings?

Sounds about right. Concrete is very expensive here Bt 1800/M3. Don't let them water it down too much, you'll be wasting money that way, too!!

Was your contractors quote for bored or driven pilings? For bored pilings 12000+ baht per is in the ballpark. For driven pilings the quote seems high. I just received a quote on a bill of quantity for a turn-key job, and the pilings were quoted at 7000 per for driven. Everything on the BOQ was padded so I don't know if the 7000 per reflects the current rates. Definitely get about three or four quotes. Over the last year I have been hearing rough numbers for bored ranging from 10,000 baht per to 18,000 per and 5000 baht per to 7000 for driven pilings in the Samut Prakan area.

Was your contractors quote for bored or driven pilings? For bored pilings 12000+ baht per is in the ballpark. For driven pilings the quote seems high. I just received a quote on a bill of quantity for a turn-key job, and the pilings were quoted at 7000 per for driven. Everything on the BOQ was padded so I don't know if the 7000 per reflects the current rates. Definitely get about three or four quotes. Over the last year I have been hearing rough numbers for bored ranging from 10,000 baht per to 18,000 per and 5000 baht per to 7000 for driven pilings in the Samut Prakan area.

Thanks for the reply choff56

Other than being louder on the neighbours, is there any difference in the quality of bored or driven pilings?

There seems to be quite a difference in price between the two (the 180k quote was for bored pilings)

If driven pilings produce the same result, it might be worth looking into.

Thanks again

I'm guessing but bored piles are probably larger in diameter and take long to install per piling. They are building a new home in my established moobaan about two blocks from me. They bored the pilings...each piling hole bored was approx. 16 inches in diameter, rebar dropped into the hole after boring, then a concrete truck pour concrete down the hole until full....basically the same as pile driving a 16 inch diameter concrete pole into the ground...each hole was around 20 meters deep. It probably took about two hours to drill/dig each hole followed by time to make the rebar/drop it in the hole, and then the concrete to be poured in.

Now driving a pre-made concrete pile can got much faster...just a few weeks ago at the McDonalds in Nakhon Pathom I watched them pile drive poles in the lot next to the McDonalds. Each pile was around 9 meters in length, it was positioned on the pile driver relatively easy and fast...and within 5-10 minutes it was pounded-in...then they positioned another 9 meter pole on top of the pile just driven and pounded it in...this took another 5-10 minutes...so a total of 10-20 minutes per pile and each pile was an H-shape around 8-10 inches in width at the widest point. I expect pre-made concrete piles are cheaper than when they are basically constructed from scratch using the boring method.

So, piles via boring is slower and more concrete is probably used than the much quicker method of driving smaller diameter pre-made piles. Boring is also usually used in areas where structures are close by as boring causing less vibration than pile driving....vibrations that could cause cracks in nearby structures which could get your neighbors mad at you and maybe sue you for damages.

Edited by Pib

Searched on YouTube...here is a video on digging pile holes....short tube sections are pounded-in...then another short section screwed onto the section just pounded=in...after so many are pounded-in/screwed together the digging device is dropped in to extract clay...device removed...clay dumped out...digging device dropped back in the pipe...digging device extracted and clay removed...etc...etc...etc. Then a rebar structure is dropped in and concrete poured into the hole.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

When I talk to folks back home about the depth of footings required on the Bangkok Flood Plain

... and mention that these can sometimes 15 or 18 metres deep ... I get that look of disbelief ... blink.png

I know only too well how important this is.

The FarmHouse, built by Thais (owned by Thais ... I'm just a quest) ... is slowly sinking over the past 20 years.

I'm watching the BTS line being built as the extension to Bearing (Sukhumvit Line) ... the depth they go to for that with their footings is amazing.

Well the OP hasnt returned, wonder how he got on.

The figures he was quoted are about right, about 13k each, most houses will have 16, adding an extra 200k to the cost of the build.

David, 20/22 metres isnt unheard of.

On a technical point, I though pile drivers were banned in Bkk, or were only allowed if there were no structures within an X metre radius.

Certainly if the OP is building in Lat Prao it would be difficult to envisage pile drivers being used.