Ministry Wants To Make Thais Taller

Lite Beer

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fact : Thailand is an importer of dried milk powder. It's tiny dairy industry cannot hope to supply current demand never mind increased demand.

Fact : This obsession with height is a Chinese preoccupation. There are clinics all over China breaking children's legs and putting them through extraordinary suffering to increase their height.

Fact : Drinking milk every day does not increase one's height. Malnourishment in childhood will lead to smaller adults. There is no evidence Thais are malnourished.

Fact : Thailand's life expectancy is much lower than expected due to alcohol related deaths and traffic fatalities not through drinking insufficient milk

Question : Which minister or ministry stands to gain from placing a massive milk powder contract? If the kickbacks are less than usual, at just 5%, think how much money can be skimmed off (no pun intended).

Absurd rubbish, not based on solid scientific evidence!

More like a policy that will be profitable for a specific sector of industry, but has definitely not public health in mind.

Just as a matter of interest, how many dairy herds are there in Thailand. Nearest fresh milk, which I assume the article is about, is about 30kn from our home.

I don't know... but there seem to be a lot of 'steak houses' in Isaan!

Thai children are brainwashed to buying all those fancy jap style drinks in 7 eleven stores. I try to convince my kids to drink fresh milk but they prefer the oishi junk.

Its also an effort to get them to drink orange juice. These kids all like KFC and maybe chocolate milk....up to them.

You should try harder and get on your misses for letting them drink that xxxx. My kids drink mostly water and eat fruit for their sugar fix. But you have to start with them at a young age when they are babies and make sure they don't get any processed sugar at that age.

Edited by metisdead
Profanity
  • Like 1

Has the genius that came up with this idea heard of Lactose intolerance (lactase deficiency) ?

Do they understand the role of genes?

The only way to achieve this within a 10 year plan would be to enact compulsory sex with tall farangs or reduce the effects of gravity within Thailand.

Why do I think that a Thai has been looking at Russian tourists?

Unfortunately for the minister, height is actually more closely correlated with maternal nutrition than with childhood nutrition (where childhood nutrition is adequate). It would be more effective to promote healthy food for women who plan on becoming pregnant than to force feed the children cow juice.

• Like 1

I have twin step-daughters (genetically Thai) who were as tall or taller than the boys in their class, and much taller than the girls. Their diet was basically Thai but with higher protein levels than usual for most (assumption) with some western additions such as Jam, Vegemite, bread/toast and ,yes, I encouraged flavoured milk as their morning take-to-school snack. At 16 they were a head taller than their mother.

There was a free milk school program some years ago, and occasionally the wife would arrive back from the school with a tray of UHT milk cartons. Is this still in existence, or was it banned as being the idea of some other political party, now to be re-instated as a gift from PTP?

How tall are you, you're parents and grandparents?

Seems to me the tallest people 2000 years ago were the poorer Europeans who's diet mainly consisted of grain.

In Asia most were eating higher protein meat diets and along with genetics but not always, remained shorter.

Milk is always good. I feed my son almost 400-600 ML a day (Meiji or Foremost) fresh and/or UHT. Today at the age of 2Y-7M he is 94 cms tall.

Edited by nachiket

Compare the average heights of North and South Koreans and you'll see the impact that diet has on height and weight. Don't know if the Northerners are shrinking or the Southerners are growing taller but there is a significant difference and that has only developed in the last couple of generations.

The milk programs here have been found to be lacking in quality control, several times over the past few years. UHT milk which was not fit for human consumption, powered milk (imported) which had some additives which were not fit for human consumption, what was labled 'fresh milk' which had a shelf life of less than 5 days, milk requiring refrigration, being ship in the back of a open lorry, etc.

When you look at the milk industry here you will note a Thai charastic, a fixed price for the dairy farmer, a fixed price for the consumer, supply to schools, etc, bids do not vary, for the schools, etc, just the distribution by provience.

As has been mentioned milk is not the solution to the short stature of Thais', just another private sponsered promotion made by a government lackey, for the milk cartel.

A 2 litre bottle of low fat milk in the super markets can vary from 75 to 84 baht depending on the brand and sometimes promotions, fixed maybe but not the same price.

Lactose problem? My wife drinks a glass of milk every day and both her daughters drink milk too, not UHT. One is over 5'8" (173 cms) tall the same height as me and both a lot taller than their mother.

They also eat both Thai and English food.

When I first came to Thailand in the 90's it was easy to look over their heads when out and about, however, now there are many tall Thais both male and female, even in Isaan.

This was what the Nazis wanted to do create a Master race.. what a load of bull.. milk d

oes not increase hight. But I have seen undernorished Hill Tribe people with underveloped skeletal system but then who cares about them. Upwards and upwards Thailand! Maybe this article was lost in translation.

During the war years growing as a child in England ( 9 when it ended) we were given a small bottle of fresh milk every day at school and a meat pastie once a week ! This was to avoid malnutrition. The short kids were always short, it is all about genetics so i doubt anything can be changed by drinking milk.

(NaturalNews) How many times growing up did kids hear things like, "Milk

does a body good" or "Got milk?" How many times did mom tell her

children, "Drink your milk so you have healthy teeth and bones"?

Americans have heard growing up that they must consume milk or suffer

dire consequences when, in fact, drinking milk is what's dangerous.

Milk isn't always bad. Mother's milk -- that is, human

milk -- provides a growing infant with all the nutrition he needs for

the first six months of his life. In fact, human breast milk is designed

by nature to be the perfect food for human infants. Similarly, cow's

milk is designed by nature to be the perfect food -- for calves, not for

human beings.

According to Robert Cohen, Executive Director of the Dairy Education Board and NOTMILK.com, milk consumption is to blame for a variety of health woes, including the following:

• breast cancer
  • diabetes (both diabetes mellitus and juvenile diabetes)
  • kidney stones
  • acne
  • heart disease
  • osteoporosis
  • multiple sclerosis
  • stroke
  • rheumatoid arthritis

So why is milk so bad, and how does it cause all of these and other health

problems? According to Vivian Goldschmidt, founder of Save Our Bones,

there are a variety of myths surrounding milk consumption. One of the

first myths, she says, is that drinking milk creates healthy bones

because of the calcium found in the milk. However, the animal protein

found in milk actually depletes the human body of calcium, exactly the opposite of what milk drinkers expect it to do.

In much the same way, she also dispels another milk myth, that drinking milk will help reduce bone

fractures. She cites sources that show that higher milk consumption can

actually be linked with an increase in bone fractures. Further, she

also states that milk is a "processed food." Milk is pasteurized and

homogenized, and the cows that produce the milk are given hormones and

antibiotics (which, of course, wind up in the milk). Goldschmidt then

links hormonal additives to cancer.

And one more article the Public Health Ministry better read to educate themelves first before they 'educate' the people !

Rediculous.

• Like 1

I have driving all over Thailand and ,everywhere I see 7/11, tesco's ,bic C and other shop's are always loaded with fresh milk.

But when looking around while driving all over Thailand I did't see that manny milk cow's,only at chok chai farm at sara buri.

So where all that fresh milk come from? Well it come's as milkpowder from China and the dairy company's ad some water and there is your fresh Milk bah.gif

Think before you drink. sick.gif

isaan paul

• Like 1