Baht Bus Drivers At Bus Station Demanding 30 Baht To Beach Rd.

Kaoboi Bebobp

On a slightly different note, I have heard that non Thais are now charged to enter the "Floating market Sii phak" on Sukhumvit Rd. Any confirmation? It was free entry until recently.

I was there 2 weeks ago,Back entrance ,showed my drivers licence and no fee.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What a sad topic.

Agreed. We're talking less than $1 USD. The price difference we're talking about here ranges from 33 - 66 cents (20 - 30 baht depending who you believe).

I'm surprised OP had enough left over after getting jacked for 33 cents to purchase internet access so he could post this.

What a sad topic.

Agreed. We're talking less than $1 USD. The price difference we're talking about here ranges from 33 - 66 cents (20 - 30 baht depending who you believe).

I'm surprised OP had enough left over after getting jacked for 33 cents to purchase internet access so he could post this.

Rather think its the principle than the actual price. Let them get away with it and the 20 bht fare will become 200 bht in the blink of an eye. Surely anyone who has been here longer than a 'dog watch' knows a bit about the Isaan tuk tuk drivers mentality.

can we move this subject to the cheap-charly forum?

First they risk their lives on a bus and later they want to risk it again in a bath-bus?

i would not step in 1 of them for free .

Ones on the beach they will sit in the sand (no 20 bht for a stool offcourse) and buy a beer in 7/11?

It is a fair topic. We cannot view the issue as an isolated one, 20 or 30 baht. Rather, it is a cumulative effect as one adds up the double or triple pricing for all other goods and services.

Double the baht bus price

Refuse to use taxi meters

Add 10 baht for extra chicken sauce

Low Season Price increases to offset fewer customers arriving

High Season Jack up prices because they are full

Hotel raising daily rate by 100 baht

Beer price up by 15 baht

On and on and On.

every day more and more .......cheap -charly complaints

time to go home and work ?beatdeadhorse.gif

can we move this subject to the cheap-charly forum?

First they risk their lives on a bus and later they want to risk it again in a bath-bus?

i would not step in 1 of them for free .

Ones on the beach they will sit in the sand (no 20 bht for a stool offcourse) and buy a beer in 7/11?

Beats me how you get around then. They are far safer than the motorcycle taxis.

This is not about keeping things cheap. It's about heading off runaway fare increases. Every increase in transportation costs raises the cost of everything else, including vacations. Of course, stating the obvious, if there's a rising cost of doing baht bus business, then the fares must rise. But there isn't. What is happening is the Pattaya public transport cartel is allowing any driver to charge whatever they want. (Remember, cartels are outlawed just about everywhere else in the world because of this habit of price fixing and protecting the players, which ultimately lessens competition, which leads to higher prices, etc.)

• Like 1

If you've been traveling for hours to get here and you're going to be staying in a place that costs at least hundreds of baht a night, it hardly seems worth worrying about 10 baht more or less on the baht bus fare.

Sadly it's naivity like this that resulted in 200 baht tuk tuk fares in Phuket. I don't do Pattaya or Phuket or the sex scene but 'logic' of this sort creates massive problems in developing countries.

Cheap Charlie post.

• Like 1

If you've been traveling for hours to get here and you're going to be staying in a place that costs at least hundreds of baht a night, it hardly seems worth worrying about 10 baht more or less on the baht bus fare.

Sadly it's naivity like this that resulted in 200 baht tuk tuk fares in Phuket. I don't do Pattaya or Phuket or the sex scene but 'logic' of this sort creates massive problems in developing countries.

Cheap Charlie post.

Cheap Charlie post.

Ha ha ....... remember many years ago, I remember many years ago while still single meeting the most fantastic Young Thai honey, Could not wait to get her to my room, as was caught up in a similar situation

I was over charge 30 baht on a baht and stood up for my rights.

What I did not realise was straight after the girls told me I was a cheap charlie and left

The most exspensive 30 baht lesson I learnt

after all I lost her and saves a dollar

But Thai ladies are always on the look out for penny pinching western men and take a wide berth

So now if I am in the same situation i give then extra 10-20 baht and say to the wife, he must have a poor family to support and I am happy to help poor thais

I get an automatic 10 points to My husband good man score board

and if she has girlfriends with her

Big Face saver

• Like 1

Why do the cheap charlie bashers even show up in a baht bus topic ? rolleyes.gif

The rich people I know either own a car or take the taxi if they don't have a car available... oh and most of all they wouldn't waste time on an internet forum arguing about such menial stuff as the price of a baht bus giggle.gif

I think they have been charging 30 baht for a long time.

I remember two or three years ago being quoted 30 baht to go down to Beach Road from the bus terminal

It may well depend on the time of day but it was definitely 30baht.

No problem if you don't want to pay just cross the road and get a cruiser.

I suppose they have to get 30 baht a head because they sit around there for a long time.

Posters here getting their knickers in a knot over nothing in my opinion.

It seems standard practice in Thailand that buses, taxis etc that hang around parked waiting for customers invariably charge high prices. That is the way it works in Thailand.

I remember being in Koh Samet three years ago and asking the baht bust driver if he could takes us around the island for an hour or so and he wanted 1000k baht but his friend said charge the farang 2k in Thai. I just laughed and walked away. I think you just have to accept this is part of the way things operate in Thailand and not let it get to you.

• Like 1

"Less than one dollar" Well, it should not cost much since everyone is packed like sardines and the pick-up cannot leave until it is completely stuffed with people and their suitcases and bags. We are not talking about riding in an airconditioned taxi.

Why do the cheap charlie bashers even show up in a baht bus topic ? rolleyes.gif

The rich people I know either own a car or take the taxi if they don't have a car available... oh and most of all they wouldn't waste time on an internet forum arguing about such menial stuff as the price of a baht bus giggle.gif

If and when you become older and wiser, you'll begin to understand that this is not about the five or ten baht but about the type and nature of the increase and the relationship of that increase to local people and the prices they pay for other goods.

"I'm surprised OP had enough left over after getting jacked for 33 cents to purchase internet access so he could post this." clap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gif

Starbucks has free wi-fi !

Seriously, I must get out more. I can't remember the last time I was ripped off to the tune of 30 baht.

• Like 1

Cheap Charlie post.

Ha ha ....... remember many years ago, I remember many years ago while still single meeting the most fantastic Young Thai honey, Could not wait to get her to my room, as was caught up in a similar situation

I was over charge 30 baht on a baht and stood up for my rights.

What I did not realise was straight after the girls told me I was a cheap charlie and left

The most exspensive 30 baht lesson I learnt

after all I lost her and saves a dollar

But Thai ladies are always on the look out for penny pinching western men and take a wide berth

It sounds like you did yourself a favour. Seems very clear to me that this girl wasn't after your exceptional charm or good looks.

I would say that by losing her you probably saved yourself millions of baht (on that house and car in her name and buying new buffaloes to replace the sick ones her family owns). Besides, she was standing there when you were fighting with the driver? Probably not! She just saw you get out of a baht bus and decided immediately that anyone who comes to pick her up that way isn't likely to have the 5 million in required sin sot and the additional 20 million or so for her house, car, top-end phone, etc. before dumping you for her "brother".

• Like 2

After 9 years last saturday visited to thailand.
Smiling faces has gone. Now thais are looking with serious face and try to get more money with tourists.
Most of the taxi drivers asking for lump sum only "No meter charges".
Started from DonMueng airport taxi driver.......Baht bus from pattaya bus station.
We 3 persons paid 250 baht from pattaya bus station to Thaphraya soi 5. Eventhough it is written 20 baht.
Till last week I was recomending to all my friends "Thailand" is the best place for tourist.

After last week visit ????????????????

• Like 2

What a sad topic.

Usually by now someone should have proclaimed: It's not the money it's the principle!!

• Like 1

What a sad topic.

Heard a German guy always explaining about the flowers they're selling on the roads for usually twenty baht. A woman took 30 baht, he freaked out, bashed all Thais for it.

I tried to calm him down, but he even added more bs. Then I had enough and told him to fcku off to Germoney. His Karma had caught him. RIP, hope they don't use money in hell.-

On a slightly different note, I have heard that non Thais are now charged to enter the "Floating market Sii phak" on Sukhumvit Rd. Any confirmation? It was free entry until recently.

Tried to get in there a few months ago. They charge 200 baht per head. I'm not sure about non-Thais, but I think both pay if you're a mixed couple. They wanted 200 baht from my wife too - who looks Thai and didn't speak to confirm she wasn't.