Baht Bus Drivers At Bus Station Demanding 30 Baht To Beach Rd.

Kaoboi Bebobp

It's happened three times now, including today. Got off Bangkok to Pattaya bus, walked by the baht bus ranks, and drivers again were demanding 30 baht to Beach Road. I and another refusee (German regular visitor) walked out to Pattaya North and got a bus all the way to Pattaya Klang for 10 baht. In previous attempts to insist the fare was 20, I was rebuffed and told it was 30 now.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It depends when you arrive at the station . If you arrive around noon its normally 20 baht to the beach,. But 30 baht has been used in busy afternoons , also up to 50 baht to beach rd.

If you arrive late evening around 10-11 pm they will ask 100 to 200 baht so just walk away.

• Like 1

Interesting; it must be a very recent change. I use the BKK-PTTY bus regularly and have always paid 20 baht to Beach Road. There used to be a LED board displaying the price (20 baht to Beach Road and 30 baht to Jomtien) - has it gone? The only people I've seen being charged extra are those who have a destination off the route.

This baht-bus extortion is just 1 of many extortions, whether it be in restaurants, stores or go-go bars.

Glad to here the OP and others refuse to pay these extortions.

I certainly do !!

So you don't use the baht buses, the restaurants, the stores and the gogo bars? You must enjoy yourself in Pattaya!
  • Like 1

Balo , That's highway robbery, those dam bastards! Where's JT when we need him most?

He's on baht buses fighting with Iranians, russians, Germans, Ethnic American Indians, Mexicans, Spanish, Germans, Thais, Laotians, Chinese, Japanese, British, Somalians, Lebanese, Yemenese, Gutaemalans, Afghanistanis, and anyone else the US has had a punch-up with or who's had a pop at them over the last 250 years...

Yes, yesss, yesssss. great post!!

• Like 1

Noticed this too. And I arrived in the middle of the day, around noon. Guy asked for 30 baht, and wanted to collect it prior to departing. ;)

Anyway I'm not in Pattaya to sweat the small stuff. The only reason I'd walk to the road is if there was some big delay in driving off.

And on the bright side, it's still 20 baht for Thais.

• Like 1

Interesting; it must be a very recent change. I use the BKK-PTTY bus regularly and have always paid 20 baht to Beach Road. There used to be a LED board displaying the price (20 baht to Beach Road and 30 baht to Jomtien) - has it gone? The only people I've seen being charged extra are those who have a destination off the route.

Agree but I have not noticed the list of official charges recently. It used to be near the desk next to the baht buses. Also there are/were some municipal(?) information assistants just before you reach the baht buses that are there to provide info to newly arrived. They are official, not private tour guides. If they are there when the bus drivers try to charge 30 baht, I would have a word with them.

Balo , That's highway robbery, those dam bastards! Where's JT when we need him most?

He's on baht buses fighting with Iranians, russians, Germans, Ethnic American Indians, Mexicans, Spanish, Germans, Thais, Laotians, Chinese, Japanese, British, Somalians, Lebanese, Yemenese, Gutaemalans, Afghanistanis, and anyone else the US has had a punch-up with or who's had a pop at them over the last 250 years...

You forgot Australians and New Zealanders. Oh and Swedish and other Scandinavians. Don't you know anything?

• Like 2

I've recently had a visitor come to Pattaya and tell me he was unable to get the fee to take him from the bus station, with a full bus load, for under 500 baht PER PERSON. The full bus went out at that amount (4000-6000 baht)! Disgusting.

If you've been traveling for hours to get here and you're going to be staying in a place that costs at least hundreds of baht a night, it hardly seems worth worrying about 10 baht more or less on the baht bus fare.

Depends. If it's a rip-off of official rates listed on the board, or at least used to be, then some people want to make a stand - it's up to them. It's not exactly a quick comfortable ride where the passengers are treated with any kind of respect - quite the opposite. The only reason they get away with it is because they have a monopoly on rides from that bus station and there is little competition because of the mafia stranglehold. In most popular seaside resorts around the world there would be a decent public bus service, but the baht bus mafia wouldn't allow that in Pattaya.

They prey on people who don't know and even then I am surprised that they are not charging them even more then the 30 THB they are asking!

Ya, their Phuket peers must laugh and call the Pattaya transportation boys a bunch of little wimps. In Phuket, that ride would be more like 300 baht, and if one doesn't agree to take it, they may get the crap beaten out of them. When was the last time you heard of a Pattaya baht bus driver beating up a tourist? Wimps!!!

If you've been traveling for hours to get here and you're going to be staying in a place that costs at least hundreds of baht a night, it hardly seems worth worrying about 10 baht more or less on the baht bus fare.

Sadly it's naivity like this that resulted in 200 baht tuk tuk fares in Phuket. I don't do Pattaya or Phuket or the sex scene but 'logic' of this sort creates massive problems in developing countries.

Cheap Charlie post.

• Like 2

On a slightly different note, I have heard that non Thais are now charged to enter the "Floating market Sii phak" on Sukhumvit Rd. Any confirmation? It was free entry until recently.

Edited by sangfroid

Its totally the principal of it all. They will keep goin up and up until they ruin the whole thing like they've done here in Phuket. If they don't get a handle on it, it will rise exponentially until the whole system collapses and somehow it will be all the farangs fault. There was a time here when someone said "anyone know what's going on at the airport? It used to be 100 baht to patong, now they asked 300, 500, 1000, and 2400 for noobs!"