Thailand Says No Third Country Wants Rohingya

webfact

While the Rohingya are undoubtedly being politically persecuted in Burma, it is a bit disingenuous to deny that they are economic migrants. About 90% of them are young men, if they are actually fleeing from violence, where are the women, children and elderly? Are they being left to face the Burmese bullets alone?

The other reason that Thais (and others) are reluctant to accept them is that if this 2000 was welcomed, another 200,000 would be right behind them. The Thai government is worried about the future impact of these migrants. In twenty years, the children of these migrants could very well become a disaffected, disenfranchised generation, ready to be recruited by the southern Muslim militants.

How many Rohinya already in refugee camps in Thailand and for how many years? How many women & children have already been exploited by human traffickers with the collaboration of Thai security forces?

BTW another major issue is the Rohinya are mainly uneducated, the reason being the Myanmar regime only provides primary school education for the children.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A very large percentage of political refugees around the world are also economic migrants. People who have been stripped of their citizenship, their homes and their property, are usually rather poor.

Thailand needs to allow the UN to screen them and give them refugee status. They can then be presented for resettlement to other countries.

It is a delicate balancing act for Thailand.

• Like 1

While the Rohingya are undoubtedly being politically persecuted in Burma, it is a bit disingenuous to deny that they are economic migrants. About 90% of them are young men, if they are actually fleeing from violence, where are the women, children and elderly? Are they being left to face the Burmese bullets alone?

The other reason that Thais (and others) are reluctant to accept them is that if this 2000 was welcomed, another 200,000 would be right behind them. The Thai government is worried about the future impact of these migrants. In twenty years, the children of these migrants could very well become a disaffected, disenfranchised generation, ready to be recruited by the southern Muslim militants.

Exactly. Surely the imbeciles on this thread understand that welcoming the first wave and being overly generous is sure to bring in thousands more. What then? It reminds me of the homeless problem in America. Municipalities know that homeless-friendly policies will undoubtedly attract even more homeless. No easy answers.

Many on this thread like to criticize the Thais while showing fake compassion, but they too have no answers. In every case of fleeing refugees, we know that they are fleeing from somewhere. What the heck is Myanmar doing? Why no criticism of those folks?

• Like 2

How many Rohinya already in refugee camps in Thailand and for how many years? How many women & children have already been exploited by human traffickers with the collaboration of Thai security forces?

BTW another major issue is the Rohinya are mainly uneducated, the reason being the Myanmar regime only provides primary school education for the children.

Primary schooling is only compulsory for ALL Myanmar children until the age of 9-10. This is what happens in a country where a small amount is allocated to education. Myanmar has an impoverished general population. This is a country where only the children of the military and of government officials are guaranteed an education. The Rohingya are treated the same way as the rest of the population.

Primary schooling is only compulsory for ALL Myanmar children until the age of 9-10. This is what happens in a country where a small amount is allocated to education. Myanmar has an impoverished general population. This is a country where only the children of the military and of government officials are guaranteed an education. The Rohingya are treated the same way as the rest of the population.

Maybe so, but accordingly to reports many Rohinya are denied access to even basic education. Quote from the URL below regards increasing restrictions.

This time last year over 3,000 Rohingya students in the Maungdaw district took the BEHS, but this year, it is said only 50 are able to take the exam. However students from the areas of Kyauktaw, Mrouk U, Minbya, Pauktaw, Myebon, Kyauknimaw, Kyaukpru, Rathedaung and the students living in the IDP camps in Sittwe have been denied permission altogether.

http://www.restlessbeings.org/projects/rohingya/rohingya-update-thousands-of-rohingya-students-denied-education

Edited by simple1

If no 3rd country wants to accept these people, then the solution for the 2nd country is quite obvious, put pressure on the primary country to stop this problem - stop the persecution and violence which makes the refugees flee.

Of course that may interfere with the personal business considerations of the PM and her family. But which comes first, the nation or self-interest?

Ok I have the solution;

1. Promptly round them up from the detention center!
  2. Any goods they are carrying or holding, that were gained illegally in Thailand should be confiscated, after all, they entered illegally and have no work permit.
  3. Take them to Sattahip and load them up on the H.M.T.S Narathiwat (of course they should be prepared to work, after all they have no money for fare).
  4. Swiftly set sail for Myanmar and reunite them with their families there, where they will receive fair treatment from the good folks in Burma....

Problem solved, yet there's still the matter of outstanding room and board for when they burdened the Thai people with their uninvited presence!

Ummmmm I suppose they could send the outstanding balance later.......

So?

What now, Thailand?

Back on the boat...push them out?

How about your home country? Willing to take them? I didn't think so.

See...that may be the point.

Thailand is part of the world community...yeeeees, even as the center of the universe, you are!

So they are here and I guess (I am not sure) Thailand has signed to refugee treaties.

As long as there is no better way, takes some money, give them some place to stay and regulate the stay.

In Phang Nga they are living under worse conditions than anyone would have chicken on a farm!

This is not about some "cattle", these are human beings.

And I don't care, who helps them,but as humans, we are defined by the way we treat the weakest and poorest and the ones that need our help.

So Thailand has to help- supported by the international community!

Sure it would be a great idea, to ship some Asian muslim to central Europe and have them stay there!

...or what is your solution?

Put them out of their misery with...???

Nope, back to Myanmar with them!!!

They will feel better being at home!

If no 3rd country wants to accept these people, then the solution for the 2nd country is quite obvious, put pressure on the primary country to stop this problem - stop the persecution and violence which makes the refugees flee.

Putting pressure on Myanmar to improve its treatment is one of the best options, but it will take a long time. The UN, although very expensive, is quite good and hanging around and nagging countries until they give up and stop mistreating people.

The same was said in Germany about German jews just before WW2.

The Thai navy use already some time a similar solution as then: help them to come in open waters, nobody will see they drown. Plroblem solved.

For me the strangest is: it seems many now telling to be Thai in fact originated from China. See what these persons did for Thailand ( imagine they were NOT in TH now, where their factories would be then ?)

Ok I have the solution;

2. Any goods they are carrying or holding, that were gained illegally in Thailand should be confiscated, after all, they entered illegally and have no work permit.
  3. Take them to Sattahip and load them up on the H.M.T.S Narathiwat (of course they should be prepared to work, after all they have no money for fare).
  4. Swiftly set sail for Myanmar and reunite them with their families there, where they will receive fair treatment from the good folks in Burma....

Problem solved, yet there's still the matter of outstanding room and board for when they burdened the Thai people with their uninvited presence!

You badly need to acquaint yourself about the reasons they fled Myanmar on boats, many perishing at sea in the effort. Right now there are some pretty nasty groups, including some monks, stirring up local people to attack, kill & burn Muslims out of formerly peaceful & mixed communities.

Yes, the problem originates with Myanmar, but they are not controlling the racist groups responsible. Scott has pointed out the only way that this problem can be handled fairly. Read his posts on this thread.

Ok I have the solution;

You badly need to acquaint yourself about the reasons they fled Myanmar on boats, many perishing at sea in the effort. Right now there are some pretty nasty groups, including some monks, stirring up local people to attack, kill & burn Muslims out of formerly peaceful & mixed communities.

Yes, the problem originates with Myanmar, but they are not controlling the racist groups responsible. Scott has pointed out the only way that this problem can be handled fairly. Read his posts on this thread.

No no no, I need not worry why they've come to Thailand or fled, I don't care!

What I need to do is encourage them to leave!

Ok I have the solution;

No no no, I need not worry why they've come to Thailand or fled, I don't care!

What I need to do is encourage them to leave!

Why?

How about your home country? Willing to take them? I didn't think so.

See...that may be the point.

Thailand is part of the world community...yeeeees, even as the center of the universe, you are!

So they are here and I guess (I am not sure) Thailand has signed to refugee treaties.

As long as there is no better way, takes some money, give them some place to stay and regulate the stay.

In Phang Nga they are living under worse conditions than anyone would have chicken on a farm!

This is not about some "cattle", these are human beings.

And I don't care, who helps them,but as humans, we are defined by the way we treat the weakest and poorest and the ones that need our help.

So Thailand has to help- supported by the international community!

Sure it would be a great idea, to ship some Asian muslim to central Europe and have them stay there!

...or what is your solution?

Put them out of their misery with...???

I honestly can't understand why the European countries are not accepting them. It is not like they are rif raf looking for a government to support them they are people who have always worked and would be a far better choice of immigrants than the ones they are taking in now who only wish to change every one to be just like them while a high percentage of them live off of state welfare from a government they are trying to change some times with bombs.

Rant over

These are unskilled and uneducated people. They would require decades if not generations of care. It is more effective and realistic for westerners to provide assistance to the people where are they are currently located. However, your suggestion that these people be given jobs in other countries should be directed to the Gulf States and Saudi Arabia. These countries hire on hundreds of thousands foreign workers. it would be a good fit, since they are muslim. They could eat halal food and pray as they wish. In any case, why do you want western countries to take them in? Why are you not asking the muslim world to take them? Surely, with the shortage of labour in some arab countries and with all of the money in that region, there is a place. Better yet, Pakistan and Iran should take leadership on the issue. They can show the world some of their kindness and compassion they keep demanding from others.

Well I agree with your ideology. But the reality is the European countries are taking in refugees from the Gulf Countries.

That is why These countries hire on hundreds of thousands foreign workers. The people who know what they are like to live there are leaving.

I am not nor do I support Islam but if I was a Muslim I would find your inference that they are to stupid to learn and it would take generators for them to learn any thing to be insulting.

You have said a lot of crazy things and a lot of good things but this is the most insulting thing you have said.

Edited by hellodolly

The same was said in Germany about German jews just before WW2.

The Thai navy use already some time a similar solution as then: help them to come in open waters, nobody will see they drown. Plroblem solved.

For me the strangest is: it seems many now telling to be Thai in fact originated from China. See what these persons did for Thailand ( imagine they were NOT in TH now, where their factories would be then ?)

Not a comparable situation. There is no state organized genocide nor associated racial purity laws etc. The Holocaust comes under a very different classification, as does the genocide in Rwanda/Burundi and Cambodia. There is no denying that the Rohingya are persecuted and live under difficult conditions. Unfortunately, those same conditions also apply to a great many Myanmar nationals as well. The Rohingya are a regional problem and the fact of the matter is that the muslim countries in the region refuse to provide assistance. Myanmar is a client state of China. China, refuses to intervene, just as it refused to intervene in Cambodia. The Rohingya issue is part and parcel of a bigger issue in Myanmar, the presence of a really screwed up military dictatorship. The west is attempting to resolve the manner through peaceful measures. The muslim nations, China, India and Russia are doing nothing.

*Deleted post edited out*

Wow. Your post is just so very wrong on so many levels. These are not violent criminals and do not present a serious threat to the safety of Thai residents. You want these people caned? Seriously? That's just plain idiotic and cruel. Maybe Thailand should cane all foreigners for overstaying visas or other issues too? They could have a public caning day in Pattaya and Patong,

Alright,

We've heard from a number of posters on the plight of these economic/political refugees, that they should be taken in etc.

So let me ask you good folks that would like them to stay, can they move in to your place, you could support them whilst they learn Thai or English, then help them through out the remainder of their stay until they become self sufficient!

For me it's simple, load them on the boats and kick the criminals out, they are illegal, kick them out, I just wish we could have them caned first prior to deportation!!!

Yes CANE them first!!

Edited by Scott
  • Like 2

*Deleted post edited out*

Unfortunately, the unthinkable solution to the problem will eventually have to be considered. Immigration into any Country by any minority can only be tolerated at a low level. If the numbers of Immigrants expand and by their numbers threaten the culture and identity of the host Country, resentment is bound to build with the real danger of civil violence and a breakdown of law and order as Authorities struggle to cope with the resentment.

In the case of the Rohingya, there probably needs a program to incentivise sterilisation to bring their numbers back into smaller proportions compared to the indigenous population. This cannot of course be forcefully carried out, but for those who face the possibility of incarceration for many years in refugee camps, this could be a way of persuading the Myanmar Authorities to permit the Rohingya to return to their adopted Country.

Rohingya are required to request permission to marry from Myanmar authorities and has imposed a limit of no more than two children per family. In case you don't get it, it's called oppression and discrimination. Your post flies very close to the wind to the policy of ethnic cleansing

Edited by Scott
Deleted post edited out

Just to exacerbate the problem ABC Radio Australia reports today that there has been unrest in Malaysia with Rhohinga refugees attacking Buddhists there apparently in retaliation for what is happening in Burma. This sort of thing is only going to harden the Thai resolve towards these refugees and we may well see an increase in the 'turning away' of Rhohingas arriving at Thailand's borders. See......

http://www.radioaustralia.net.au/asia/2013-06-06/malaysian-police-detain-myanmar-nationals-after-unrest/1142190

Just to exacerbate the problem ABC Radio Australia reports today that there has been unrest in Malaysia with Rhohinga refugees attacking Buddhists there apparently in retaliation for what is happening in Burma. This sort of thing is only going to harden the Thai resolve towards these refugees and we may well see an increase in the 'turning away' of Rhohingas arriving at Thailand's borders. See......

http://www.radioaustralia.net.au/asia/2013-06-06/malaysian-police-detain-myanmar-nationals-after-unrest/1142190

Attacking buddhists in Malaysia is very stupid, as you say potential to increase negative perceptions. However Thai authorities do not need encouragement to harden attitudes. Just look at the conditions that some endure in Thai detention at the URL below. Also corrupt Thai officials collaborating with human traffickers and instances of murder

"The ITN program showed most of the 276 Rohingya men living in extremely cramped conditions in two cells resembling large cages, each designed to hold only 15 men, where they barely had enough room to sit. Some suffered from swollen feet and withered leg muscles due to lack of exercise. The men said they have not been let out of the cells in five months"

http://www.hrw.org/news/2013/06/03/thailand-end-inhumane-detention-rohingya

Edited by simple1

Further to my post #57, A.B.C. News Australia further reports that they have interviewed several refugees who claim that they were intercepted by the Thai Navy, detained, assaulted, sold to traffickers and/or pushed out to sea in their boats which had their engines removed. See....

http://www.radioaustralia.net.au/international/2013-06-13/thai-navy-allegedly-involved-in-trafficking-beating-of-rohingya-refugees/1145618

• 1 month later...