Nattawut Denies Earning Bt131 Million From Egg Deals

webfact

Nattawut denies earning Bt131 million from egg deals
By English News

13703961887276.jpg

BANGKOK, June 5 – Deputy Commerce Ministry Nattawut Saikua has flatly rejected an allegation that he received Bt131 million in kickbacks or other benefits from egg deals in light of the skyrocketing egg prices in the country.

He said the Commerce Ministry has sought cooperation from egg manufacturers and distributors to maintain egg prices in the local market.

The government’s Egg Board has controlled egg prices at Bt3.30 per unit but, Mr Nattawut said, there is pressure for prices to be jacked up to Bt3.60-3.90 per unit.

“I have straightforwardly talked to them (manufacturers and distributors) without any exterior interest or political motives. It is untrue to charge me with making Bt131 million from manufacturers and from compensation on egg prices granted by the Committee on Policies and Measures to Assist Farmers,” he said.

Mr Nattawut said he will meet today with a sub-committee on egg production costs in order to conclude a new production cost figure to be submitted to the Egg Board for approval.

The Commerce Ministry has instructed the Egg Board to cut egg exports until the country’s egg production and consumption are balanced, he said.

He said Thailand earlier had the problem of egg oversupply, compelling the Egg Board to accelerate exports, but the country is obliged to export 28 million eggs, or an average 1 million eggs per day, to trading partners within this month, he said. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg
-- TNA 2013-06-05

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

"The government’s Egg Board has controlled egg prices at Bt3.30 per unit......."

But there will be a different set price for different size eggs, so we need a whole beaurocracy to micro-manage what a free market could do. Or you could sell eggs by the kilogram.

• Like 1

The government’s Egg Board has controlled egg prices at Bt3.30 per unit but, Mr Nattawut said, there is pressure for prices to be jacked up to Bt3.60-3.90 per unit.

Have they ever informed supermarkets that 3.30 Baht is the price and not 6.70 Baht as they are priced on the shelves ?

• Like 2

This morning i gave money to a Thai citizen who, for whatever reason, is falling in a deep dark hole.

Young-homeless-hopeless.

despair in his face, i just couldn't stand there and do nothing.

Oh what was the header all about????????

• Like 1

Have they ever informed supermarkets that 3.30 Baht is the price and not 6.70 Baht as they are priced on the shelves ?

Is 3.30b not the farm price?

Sent from my GT-P1010 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Also the wording of his reply if an exact translation does seem to be from the white lie faction ie : it wasn't 131million but it could have been more or less.

At the local market this weekend I bought the largest eggs they were selling and they were 42 baht for 10. Because I bought 20 eggs I only paid 40 per 10 so saving 6 baht.

I know I paid the same price as Thais as the prices were written up on some cardboard ranging from 30 for the smallest up to 42 for the largest.

The guy goes to all the local markets but unlike supermarkets he works on a table next to his pickup truck, has no large staff, just him and his wife, no a/c and would you believe no electricity either

He must be doing OK as he sells most of his stock in an afternoon.

Is 3.30b not the farm price?

Supermarkets are doubling the farm price - that's eggstortion, I say.

• Like 1

While Dept. Minister for Agriculture Nattawut is on his mobile public relations campaign to raise awareness of the rice-pledging scheme with farmers across the country, he may also explain about the price freeze on eggs.

Yet another example of Governments interfering in the free market, and, as always, making a total hash of it. Simple really, no Egg Board no opportunity for politicians and officials to skim the loot!

Yet another example of Governments interfering in the free market, and, as always, making a total hash of it. Simple really, no Egg Board no opportunity for politicians and officials to skim the loot!

Price controls for eggs have been around in Thailand for ages and ages.