More Luxury Cars Seized

Lite Beer

More luxury cars seized
Supachai Phetchthewee
The Nation on Sunday

BANGKOK: -- Customs officials have seized 10 more high-end cars worth Bt129 million for tax evasion, department chief Benja Louischareon said yesterday.

Two Lamborghinis worth Bt74 million were seized for tax evasion and faulty declarations to customs officials, while three Mercedes Benz, one Lexus Hybrid and one Porsche - worth Bt34 million in total - were seized on charges of tax evasion and being smuggled out of the bonded warehouse and duty-free area.

Another Mercedes Benz and two BMWs worth Bt21 million were seized on charges of tax evasion and being smuggling into Thailand via the southern border.

Benja said the seizure resulted from a Customs investigation that found some companies that import private parts wrongfully declared car models in a bid to avoid full tax payment. And some smuggled cars into Thailand via the southern border by pretending to be tourists then parked the cars for gangsters to pick them up.

The 10 cars seized were from independent car importers, she said, and had nothing to do with a previous case in which six luxury cars were burnt during transport in Nakhon Ratchasima - a scandal which linked to politicians.

She said Customs officials were looking into other four to five cars that might be within the frame of tax evasion. The department would undertake legal action soon.

These legal violations were punishable with a fine of up to four times the car's value plus tax and/or up to 10 years in jail.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-06-09

• Like 1

Up to four times the car's value plus tax and/or a maximum of ten years in jail?

If the guilty parties have the right connections I'd estimate a 10,000 baht fine (rich Thais don't pay tax) and a two year suspended jail sentence.... which will probably be reduced on appeal!

They stated there were thousands of illegally imported luxury cars, so far they've found a few dozen. Let's hope they are diligent and continue with this investigation and who knows maybe they'll name names. Then, maybe not.

I wonder if Mister Amulet in Pattaya had a dodgy Lambo which he crashed?

• Like 2

This is certainly becoming a hot topic but I question where it will go, where it can go because to afford these cars you have to be " somebody " or at least well connected.

Will this degenerate to a DSI farce where the cars are impounded but most of those connected to them exonerated for some reason or another ? They may be allowed to pay all the relevant taxes and fees but would probably be offended if asked to do so as it would be loss of face as it suggests wrongdoing. I cannot see a procession of politicians, their, relatives, government officials etc. actually having to face criminal charges.

I can see there being a very large dodgy auction in about a years time.

• Like 1

This is certainly becoming a hot topic but I question where it will go, where it can go because to afford these cars you have to be " somebody " or at least well connected.

Will this degenerate to a DSI farce where the cars are impounded but most of those connected to them exonerated for some reason or another ? They may be allowed to pay all the relevant taxes and fees but would probably be offended if asked to do so as it would be loss of face as it suggests wrongdoing. I cannot see a procession of politicians, their, relatives, government officials etc. actually having to face criminal charges.

The investigation itself is probably relatively easy. Determining the scapegoat takes a little longer.
  • Like 1

" I cannot see a procession of politicians, their, relatives, government officials etc. actually having to face criminal charges."

I hope to see it, more likely on a related issue - where did the money come from to pay for these vehicles.

One would think possessing an undeclared car would automatically spark an income tax audit at least.

• Like 1

" I cannot see a procession of politicians, their, relatives, government officials etc. actually having to face criminal charges."

I hope to see it, more likely on a related issue - where did the money come from to pay for these vehicles.

OzMick, your couple of lines there have probably already delved into that nasty can of worms more deeply than anyone is likely (or brave enough) to.

The cars were smuggled out of a Bonded warehouse and duty free area !!,

who left the door open, again

Regards Worgeordie

They weren't sure when to close the stable door tongue.png

stable-door.jpg

• Like 1

All lip service. What's really happening is that the Police and Customs have found a way to get enough tea money to last for the next decade. Does anyone on here really believe that one single court case will come out of this? Even if any court case arises it will be for some minnow who worked on the gate at the docks or similar.

• Like 1

All lip service. What's really happening is that the Police and Customs have found a way to get enough tea money to last for the next decade. Does anyone on here really believe that one single court case will come out of this? Even if any court case arises it will be for some minnow who worked on the gate at the docks or similar.

Well there will be an awful lot of people who won't pay, so they will have to confiscate the cars. That has to start some sort of legal proceeding. Which leads somewhere.

Or the next scandal will be, police paid off to get cars back. Plus this involves customs and local police, so it's harder to hush it up.

I believe it will drag on till it looses all momentum, everyone moves on and it will die of a natural death , the top end of town are involved and many at that.

• Like 1

Well, I can tell the govt is getting close to letting this issue die as they have seized a few sacrificial lamb cars...the dealers having these cars must have been behind on their tea money payments. This issue will quickly fade from the news media over the coming weeks and what will also quickly fade is the govt's effort to catch people bypassing the vehicle luxury tax. Taxes on cars in Thailand, even domestic models which are taxed at around 15-30%, is just crazy...but it sure keeps the new and resale prices high.

Does anyone here really believe these cars are just sitting in a customs lot somewhere!? HELL NO! I'm sure the powers that be are now enjoying a new ride to pick up their mia noi's in! tongue.pnggiggle.gif

Reasonable taxation and all the trouble is solved!

Your avatar suggests a slight prejudice. High taxes on luxury items is an accepted way of taxing those who have the means to avail themselves of tax minimisation schemes.

• Like 1

This is just another example of policing following the money instead of preventing harm. Cops chase drug busts because they can resell the product once seized. The motivation in this case is no different.

Actually, the Thais considerable it reasonable. In lieu of paying an EU type tax rate, consumers of high ticket item goods that do not benefit the national economy pay higher taxes.

Your avatar suggests a slight prejudice. High taxes on luxury items is an accepted way of taxing those who have the means to avail themselves of tax minimisation schemes.

And to help to spread the wealth across all sectors of society.