Getting A Thai Visa In The Uk By Mail From Europe?

Hello...

I will be in Europe for a few weeks in July (currently in Thailand). I am a UK citizen but am not planning on going to the UK during this trip. I am wondering if it is possible to obtain a Thai tourist visa at the UK embassy or consulates (triple or double entry preferred) by mail while I am in Europe. I heard by hearsay it is possible...does anyone have any information about this?

By the way I am pretty sure from experience I cannot get a tourist visa in the countries I will be visiting since I am not a resident there despite being an EU citizen so that is why I am looking into the by mail possibility.

Thanks.

Just email the Thai Consulate in Hull and ask them, however it would be easier to send your passport by registered mail to family members in the UK and they send it to Hull and have your friends send it back to you in Europe, but expect this to take around 1-2 weeks, which is a long time to sit without a passport in a Foreign (European Country)

I've done several times via Hull to Dublin, Ireland and never a problem with the Consulate. I have issues with the arrogance
of the staff at the Thai Embassy in Dublin. Just be careful of your timing 'cos Royal Mail sucks. Dublin to Hull in 24 hours, Hull to Dublin
5 days (u can follow the progress on line). I got my passport returned day before I travelled.

Edited by Finlaco

"By the way I am pretty sure from experience I cannot get a tourist visa in the countries I will be visiting since I am not a resident there despite being an EU citizen so that is why I am looking into the by mail possibility."

Are you absolutely certain of this? Have you specifically checked with any of the Thai embassies (or consulates) in the countries you'll be visiting? It would not surprise me in the slightest if they were even able to issue you with a visa in person - which would, of course, be far better than subjecting your passport to the vagaries of the local postal service.

I suspect that the experiences of the previous poster (Finlaco) may graphically illustrate that it is, in fact, perfectly possible for you to obtain a visa at a Thai embassy (or even consulate) in Europe. Assuming that he is an Irish citizen, he has clearly had no difficulty in obtaining visas from a Thai consulate in the UK (Hull), in preference to his local Thai Embassy (Dublin)!

Edited by OJAS

"By the way I am pretty sure from experience I cannot get a tourist visa in the countries I will be visiting since I am not a resident there despite being an EU citizen so that is why I am looking into the by mail possibility."

Are you absolutely sure of this? Have you specifically checked with any of the Thai embassies (or consulates) in the countries you'll be visiting? It would not surprise me in the slightest if they were even able to issue you with a visa in person - which would, of course, be far better than subjecting your passport to the vagaries of the local postal service.

I am sure of this in Madrid (they require a notarized copy of your residency certificate to issue a tourist visa) but I am not sure of other places.

AFAIK as a UK citizen you can apply for visas at any Thai embassy or consulate. An expert will be along soon...

I was denied a tourist visa in Madrid Spain as a UK citizen until I could present a notarized copy of my residency certificate in Spain.

Are you absolutely sure of this? Have you specifically checked with any of the Thai embassies (or consulates) in the countries you'll be visiting? It would not surprise me in the slightest if they were even able to issue you with a visa in person - which would, of course, be far better than subjecting your passport to the vagaries of the local postal service.

I am sure of this in Madrid (they require a notarized copy of your residency certificate to issue a tourist visa) but I am not sure of other places.

You should not assume that, just because the Madrid Embassy denied your visa application, the Thai Embassy in, say, Paris would do so as well. We longstay expats living in Thailand are collectively well aware of inconsistent practices followed by individual immigration offices here, which are a bane of our lives (e.g. Office X insists on you providing a particular doc in certain circumstances, whereas Office Y does not in an identical situation). It would not surprise me in the slightest if Thai embassies (and consulates) abroad were similarly to speak with forked tongue.

Just email the Thai Consulate in Hull and ask them, however it would be easier to send your passport by registered mail to family members in the UK and they send it to Hull and have your friends send it back to you in Europe, but expect this to take around 1-2 weeks, which is a long time to sit without a passport in a Foreign (European Country)

Just bear in mind I have heard reports that they will some times check that you are in country. Especially if they notice no exit stamp in your passport.

Edit on last post didn't work.

I added that in case someone got the wrong idea and thought you could do the same from Thailand, ie send your doc's from here to UK to family and get the visa by them mailing from UK address..

The one thing they will pick up on is no exit stamp from Thailand.

^^ I stand corrected. My apologies for the disinformation. I was basing my comments on the fact that some nationalities have to return to their home country to get a visa and some do not.

Edited by Slip

Edit on last post didn't work.

I added that in case someone got the wrong idea and thought you could do the same from Thailand, ie send your doc's from here to UK to family and get the visa by them mailing from UK address..

The one thing they will pick up on is no exit stamp from Thailand.

You are correct, if OP was in Thailand while sending his passport I would have said "Dont do it as it will cause problems for sure and is illegal". But as you noticed this is not the case.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by MJCM

On the Hull consulate application form it says:

Visas applications are accepted only from persons who are residing in the UK at the time of application.

Are you saying that they only give visa's to UK Nationals or also to someone (cq Non UK citizen) who is applying while in the UK ?

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by MJCM

When in Bulgaria a few years ago I applied to the Thai consulate in Sofia for a non O multi visa based on marriage with all correct documents.

I received a visa but for some reason they issued a 'B' instead of 'O'.

It never caused me a problem though.