Having a WP on a non imm O Visa.

The only type of visa that allow you to work is type B, not other types what 's so ever. Type ED for education, if eny one works with this type is illegal. Type O is non immegrant and it is quite easy to get this visa, especially if you are married with a Thai wife. You just present your marriage certificate and you can get the visa. That is why they do not allow type O to work. Type B is for work permit and it is more detail to apply type B because they need to know more details about the work that you are going to work when you are applying the visa and then you have to give them the details of you working place when you apply for WP.

Hope this help.biggrin.png

The only type of visa that allow you to work is type B, not other types what 's so ever. Type ED for education, if eny one works with this type is illegal. Type O is non immegrant and it is quite easy to get this visa, especially if you are married with a Thai wife. You just present your marriage certificate and you can get the visa. That is why they do not allow type O to work. Type B is for work permit and it is more detail to apply type B because they need to know more details about the work that you are going to work when you are applying the visa and then you have to give them the details of you working place when you apply for WP.

It is not true - you can obtain a work permit legally to work on a non immigrant O visa extension of stay as is clearly pointed out above. Even on the normally not allowed retirement extension of stay many have obtained work permits. The normal entry for volunteer work permit is indeed only a non immigrant O visa.

Alf

The problem of jealous locals is, I am told, a real problem.

Not only can the locals cause the authorities to take a very close look at your business but in some cases create such a threatening environment that some choose the "safe" option of packing up.

What do do about such difficulties is a challenging question!

Alf

The problem of jealous locals is, I am told, a real problem.

Not only can the locals cause the authorities to take a very close look at your business but in some cases create such a threatening environment that some choose the "safe" option of packing up.

What do do about such difficulties is a challenging question!

Expansion of business is the only answer ! I will now expand just out of principal.

• Like 1

I think the main point of the OP's experience, and the advice dispensed above, is:

Those here on extension of stay based on marriage to a Thai normally can seek and possess a work permit, assuming they qualify, without any problem/conflict from Immigration. Same with those here on B Business Visas and Non-Imm O visas.

On the flip side, those here on extension of stay based on retirement normally are not granted work permits by the Labour Ministry, although there have been exceptions in some cases/areas.

FWIW, none of my retirement-based extensions of stay in recent years, all issued in BKK, have had any kind of stamp in my passport relating to employment being prohibited. But I don't take that to mean that I'd be granted a work permit were I to apply for one.

It is not true - you can obtain a work permit legally to work on a non immigrant O visa extension of stay as is clearly pointed out above. Even on the normally not allowed retirement extension of stay many have obtained work permits. The normal entry for volunteer work permit is indeed only a non immigrant O visa.
Oh, yes, for type O, you can do voluntere work like teaching but not earning income. tongue.png Edited by PoorSucker
quote fixed

You can earn income - many persons working here are on extensions of stay for marriage from non immigrant O visa entry and legally working - this is no need to obtain a non immigrant B entry for this. What is required is a non immigrant entry and a work permit.

You can earn income - many persons working here are on extensions of stay for marriage from non immigrant O visa entry and legally working - this is no need to obtain a non immigrant B entry for this. What is required is a non immigrant entry and a work permit.

I need a link to the Immigration rules on requirements for applying for a work permit.

Can anyone help.

Work permits are not an immigration matter. Labor Department issues work permits. Or do you want extension of stay requirements for work? Extensions are outlined in police order 777/2551 and paperwork for them in order 305/2551.

Work permits are not an immigration matter. Labor Department issues work permits. Or do you want extension of stay requirements for work? Extensions are outlined in police order 777/2551 and paperwork for them in order 305/2551.

Sorry, I did mean to say Labour department. Not on an extension, on a One year Non O multi entry.

The girl in the office has the attitude, 'I've never heard of it so it can't be' so I need a reference to show her.

Thanks.

Thanks for that lopburi3, that is interesting. I have a WP already and was under the impression that I should get a 3 month non-O visa and then change it (near to the expiry date of this visa) to a 1 year non-B visa. As I don't need to travel (I am assistant manager in our private kindergarten school) I might as well get a multi-entry 1 year non-O visa in my home country England when I go there for a month in July to visit family and friends.

Is this correct and a sensible way of going about matters taking into account my circumstances?

Edited by SICHONSTEVE

Hope this help.Posted Image

It is not true - you can obtain a work permit legally to work on a non immigrant O visa extension of stay as is clearly pointed out above.  Even on the normally not allowed retirement extension of stay many have obtained work permits.  The normal entry for volunteer work permit is indeed only a non immigrant O visa.

just out of my curiosity, what are the requirments for a work volunteer work permit?

There must be a juristic entity where you volunteer for: a registered charity or government organization, for at least 4 hours a week. (Don't know how they feel about volunteering for a commercial enterprise).

For the rest the same documents are needed, as it is the same application form as for paid working.

There must be a juristic entity where you volunteer for: a registered charity or government organization, for at least 4 hours a week. (Don't know how they feel about volunteering for a commercial enterprise).

For the rest the same documents are needed, as it is the same application form as for paid working.

I am a PR and I have a regular day job with a legal WP and I do volunteer more than 4 hours a week on weekends and Sundays for a uniformed government department, what if I want to obtain a WP for that too? am I allowed to have more than one work permit?

Oh, yes, for type O, you can do voluntere work like teaching but not earning income. tongue.png

Not sure where you are getting your information from, but it is totally wrong. My work permit is issued on an extension to a Non O visa which goes back 8 years. My job has nothing to do with volunteer work, and the last time I heard, foreign teachers receive a salary ("voluntere work like teaching".)

To my knowledge the Non B visa was initially issued for business people who were constantly in and out of the country as a convenient visa for work to be conducted in Thailand. (If I am wrong about this point, please correct) Through time, this type of visa has become the normal to apply for work permits but a work permit can still be issued on a Non O, or extension to it.

Edited by chrisinth
  • Like 1

I live on Phuket Island

Its interesting that when " foreign managed businesses" get caught out the first words uttered are "corruption" and " extortion". Making these noises does not lessen culpability.

For example I am personally aware of a "foreign managed business" which had no Thai staff ! The owner was arrested and put before the court.

Recently there have been many arrests on the island involving time share touts , illegal travel agents and people working without permits. All arrested, charged and taken to court.

Those who stand on the sidelines and shout "corruption and extortion" should look at themselves and either come up with the evidence or shut up.

Believe what you want to beileve; the two companies I referred to above are both legitimate, long term businesses, with significant numbers of Thai employees, not bogus or illegitimate operations (of which thre are a certainly few).

However I have no intention of embarrsing the managers by naming the companies and I am also not sure if forum rules would allow it anyway.

But don't be distracted by the issue of scum bag time share and illegitimate travel agents, these are small fish in big pond. Many expats who live life reading the english language newspapers and chatting to their mates do not appreciate the misery that tax paying, 100% legitimate business owners and managers are put under by the various significantly corrupt police divisions that operate here.

Yes, sure they might have been stung for the odd few hundred THB for not wearing a helmet, but generaly the expat community do not have much dealing with the darker side of Phuket's Police as expats per se are not seen as a particularrly fertile territory for income, they are more useful as a dressing to hide the darker goings on that happen here.

Businesses (most all of them - Thai owned as well) are targeted for extortion and corrupt payments by the police on a regular monthly basis. Whatever kind of company you run you will find it impossible to satisfy the full gamut of regulations and compete without running into some division of the BIB who for example pull your company vehicles up and find something wrong with the vehicle or the workers, then offer for a few thousand pcm to give you 'free passage or insurance for the month', or call round to your office to find something awry.

For an example in case, to transport workers you need a blue plated vehicle, to transport customers you need a green/white/yellow plated vehicle, to transport goods you need a white/green/ 40/80 registration vehicle. So to move goods, workers and customers and to be 100% legit you need a miniumum of three types of vehicle - you are normally competing with companies who pay approx 2,000 THB pcm to each police division they drive in to use only one vehicle for all three areas - very cost effective investment - hence corruption is fuelled as it is often cheaper to pay this 'whiskey money' than to meet the letter of the law; corrupt police know this and exploit it to the full.

Rumour has it that police officers from other regions pay significant amounts of cash for a posting to say Phuket, where as a civil servant with a miserable goverment salary you can quickly build a healthy retirement nest egg.

Trust me, I know as an active (and legitimate) business owner here that Phuket stinks of corruption and extortion, but it is certainly not clearly visible to your average expat.

Oh and by the way, I love this country and it's people (on balance) and have no desire to return to the country of my birth, so I am in Rome.

All exactly true. Post of the year, that.

Oh, yes, for type O, you can do voluntere work like teaching but not earning income. tongue.png

Not sure where you are getting your information from, but it is totally wrong. My work permit is issued on an extension to a Non O visa which goes back 8 years. My job has nothing to do with volunteer work, and the last time I heard, foreign teachers receive a salary ("voluntere work like teaching".)

To my knowledge the Non B visa was initially issued for business people who were constantly in and out of the country as a convenient visa for work to be conducted in Thailand. (If I am wrong about this point, please correct) Through time, this type of visa has become the normal to apply for work permits but a work permit can still be issued on a Non O, or extension to it.

The information is from Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Thailand the visa service. They can issue a work permit on a non O visa but the purpose for such WP is volunteer work cause the non O visa is a catergory of visa that is not for working to earn income but if anyone does the volunteer work, that is OK but still need the WP.

For the non B visa, there are 2 types of B visa, 1 for working which they will issue a 12 months visa and no. 2 for business men which if they will issue for 3 year visa for any one who would like to apply as a business men for travelling to Thailand often.

The following are some parts of info from the MFA site,

"

Non-Immigrant Visa “O-A” (Long Stay)

This type of visa may be issued to applicants aged 50 years and over who wish to stay in Thailand for a period of not exceeding 1 year without the intention of working.

Holder of this type of visa is allowed to stay in Thailand for 1 year. Employment of any kind is strictly prohibited."

"

Q: I want to work in Thailand. I am a Malaysian, living in K.L.

How should I go about getting necessary visa?

A: In order to work in Thailand, there are 2 important elements:

(1) Non-Immigrant “B” Visa and (2) Work Permit

First of all, you need to have a prospective employer in Thailand.

Then you may apply for a Non-Immigrant Visa category “B” (business)

at the Royal Thai Embassy in K.L. using the basic required documents and recommendation letter from your employer along with your company’s business certifications as suggested in the website www-mfa-go-th.

Once you have obtained such visa, you can enter the Kingdom and therefore apply for a Work Permit from the Department of Employment, Ministry of Labour.

In order to expedite visa issuance, your employer may, on your behalf, apply for

the Work Permit in advance (with the form called Tor Thor 3). The Department

of Employment will then issue a pre-approved certificate to be used in your visa application. In such case, please make sure to obtain the Work Permit (Tor Thor 2) once you arrive in Thailand. " tongue.png

Edited by rose496900

Rose 496900 You do not understand visa's what you are quoting is an O-A visa which is a retirement Visa you can not work on a retirement visa O-A, this post is about an O visa (married to a Thai) on this visa you can work ie get a WP you need to check your facts before posting and you can do any work.

( They can issue a work permit on a non O visa but the purpose for such WP is volunteer work cause the non O visa is a catergory of visa that is not for working to earn income but if anyone does the volunteer work, that is OK but still need the WP.) this is pure bullshit.

Edited by MikeandDow

MFA has zero authority to issue work permits or allow work - that is the business of the Labor Department and they indeed do issue work permits to those here on non immigrant O visa entry and extensions.