The Ashes Tour 2013

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The hooligans get bored so they must do something. Watching 90 minutes of a game where the only

thing that they count is the amount of players fainting when someone touches them. And then watching them

miraculously recover to a rousing reception from their supporters.

To you soccer supporters, I'm only seriousbiggrin.png

Now back to the cricket, any news on the Broad injury?

he is being tight lipped about his injury Wil.

I'm going to say i think there is a good chance he wont play. Bad bruising on the foot can take a while to get over. England have no reason to risk playing him

I tend to agree. He could hardly put any weight on it on the last day of the test. Would probably get up if he was a batsman, but

will be really hard for him to recover enough for him to bowl.

Broad has been bowling in the nets with no obvious pain or discomfort so should be fine .

• Like 1

Given Prior's current form with both bat and gloves, Jonny should be given a chance IMO.

Meanwhile, whilst Monty is almost certain to play in Melbourne, are England thinking of two spinners for Sydney?

England call up Scott Borthwick & James Tredwell

I agree about Bairstow ,Prior was not that good a keeper when he first came into the england team ,much like Stewart a few years before him,but he has developed into probably the best keeper/batsman in the world (previous to the last 12 months or so).So yeah give Bairstow a go ,why not?,probably better to blood a few more youngsters now as the old guard is rapidly fading.

Today's test match is sold out to the public! (Tickets still available to members.) Should be a 90,000+ crowd!

Good luck to both sides, naturally I am hoping Australia destroys England though laugh.png

* A note about Shane Watson. Even if Australia loses, he remains a winner. Here he is with his wife.

post-147205-0-77813900-1388012964_thumb.

A good first session by England after being sent in. Maybe it was a good toss to lose.

I can't help the feeling that with all of the publicity and accolades our boys have been

getting lately, they might be getting a bit ahead of themselves.

A good first session by England after being sent in. Maybe it was a good toss to lose.

I can't help the feeling that with all of the publicity and accolades our boys have been

Not sure about sending England in first. Certainly England on top at 1/91...but they need to pick the run rate up. They seem to get themselves bogged down.

Edited by BookMan

Not sure about sending England in first. Certainly England on top at 1/91...but they need to pick the run rate up. They seem to get themselves bogged down.

Yep, they've done it all series. Just seem to occupy the crease with no intent and then they get out.

• Like 1

Playing for a draw on the first day of the test.

England really need to look at reviewing their playing style as well as a few of older players.

Being in the UK, I've not seen much of the play.

But as said on Join the debate at #bbccricket

Howard Horner: If this day's play was a Christmas present, it'd be socks. Not exciting, but you quite needed a couple new pairs. It'll do.

90831 in the crowd, a new world record for attendance at a test match.

• Like 2

Honours to Australia on Day 1. The bowlers stuck to the plan and kept their discipline.

Great last spell from Mitchell Johnson, exciting stuff.

KP provided plenty of entertainment. Top scorer, dropped once, caught on boundary/went for 6 once, almost caught by Lyon once. Indulged in some time wasting.

Once again...England just too slow...not taking singles, not turning over strike, letting Australia dominate. That tactic worked well in England when their batsmen could build and consolidate an innings. That strategy has been exposed throughout this tour though.

When I posted the above, England were 160 for 3.

Despite then losing Bell, I'd have said that honours were still about even.

Until the new ball.

The 9 overs with the new ball definitely put Australia on top.

But, KP is still there and if he can hang on and the last four contribute then there is hope of England reaching a reasonable total above 300. Bresnan and Broad can bat, Anderson is capable of staying around and adding a few and even Monty's best test score is 26.

Maybe the English batsmen have been over cautious; but it seems they can't win. If they're not being criticised for getting out to wild shots, they're being criticised for being too defensive.

In the post stumps interview with Sky Ian Bell said

"Perhaps it's a bit of both," Bell said, when asked if it was a case of good bowling or out-of-touch batsmen.

"I've been in good touch personally but I am as guilty as anyone. It's something we're aware of and need to work on. We need to get back to scoring big runs.

"We need to find the right balance and put pressure on the bowler. I go out to try and run hard and not allow the bowlers to bowl, but you can only hit what you get given.

"We want to score as many runs as possible, that's the idea of batting."

90831 in the crowd, a new world record for attendance at a test match.

That's what the BBC said at 5:26 local time.

But by the close it had gone up to 91092.

Were they all in the ground at the same time, I wonder? Or is that how many came in through the turnstiles throughout the day?

I suspect the latter, watching on Sky there were a lot of empty seats in the upper tiers as stumps approached.

Very surprising, considering the damage Johnson was inflicting at the time!

Edited by 7by7

Another day where Australia came out on top, but again some soft dismissals. I have been critical of Pietersen throughout this series but would be happy for him to prove me wrong. Still think our run rate is a problem, same as last series. Just puts batsmen under pressure when they do not rotate the strike.

350 would be a very good total, I can dream i suppose.

Today's test match is sold out to the public! (Tickets still available to members.) Should be a 90,000+ crowd!

Good luck to both sides, naturally I am hoping Australia destroys England though laugh.png

* A note about Shane Watson. Even if Australia loses, he remains a winner. Here he is with his wife.

attachicon.gifWatson.jpg

He'll be hoping that groin problem gets better quickly.

• Like 1

oh Johnson!

2 wickets for his first over the day! clap2.gif

Edit *Another wicket for his 3rd over. Broad hit low and plumb in front...almost same spot as last test on his foot. 5/60 for Johnson, 5/15 with the second new ball.

Edited by BookMan
  • Like 1

Aussies all sorts of trouble now 5/112

Can Haddin be the Magician again?

He, as well as Johnson have been the Heros for me in the Series.

EDIT, first ball Haddin faces, smakes for a 6

You could be right David...Haddin is on fire..33 from 29 balls... Oops! Johnson dropped on 2...absolute sitter...AUssies 6/147

Aussies have a bad day and very quiet now here tongue.png

A very good day in the field for England and Aussies will resume in the morning on 164-9 91 behind. Haddin 43 not out.

Interesting test match now and very much open for both sides to win although England will be favorites if they can bat all day tomorrow and get anywhere near 300.

Strange wicket everybody is saying but obviously there is a bit of swing from all the bowlers which is causing problems for the batsman.

Stokes has shown he can bowl a bit as well as bat which is good news for the England attack.

Barmy Army on song today and hopefully tomorrow biggrin.png