The Ashes Tour 2013

Indeed, he followed the ball and when he saw it had been caught his head went back in despair.

The reaction of a man who knew he had hit it.

laugh.png

Have you ACTUALLY watched the clip and listened to the commontators?

I was ACTUALLY watching it live, and know full well what they said.

Bumble's first reaction was that it was out; "There's a nick!"

If Agar thought he hadn't hit it, why was his initial reaction as it was?

Why did he follow the ball to see if it was caught?

Why did his head go back in despair when he saw that it was caught?

There have been some poor decisions against both sides in this series so far; but some of you Aussies are starting to blame the umpires and the DRS for your team's poor performances.

You should be looking closer to home!

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Indeed, he followed the ball and when he saw it had been caught his head went back in despair.

laugh.png

There have been some poor decisions against both sides in this series so far; but some of you Aussies are starting to blame the umpires and the DRS for your team's poor performances.

You and chicog are missing the point.

The DRS shows no hotspot and no deviation of the ball from bat.

The system is meant to back the decision of the on field umpire when there is doubt. The 3rd umpire over ruling the decision, based on a noise, went against the purpose of the DRS.

Hotspot is not infallible, it doesn't always show faint nicks.

Whilst the third umpire does not use snicko, he does use the audio.

There was a noise as the ball passed the bat.

Agar's reaction shows he knew he had hit it.

BTW, the YouTube clip you have linked to is edited. Were you watching it live, as I was, then you would know that the process took longer than that and both Bumble and Holding had more to say on the matter of the noise.

If Agar was convinced he hadn't hit it, why does his initial reaction show him convinced that he had?

Hotspot is not infallible, it doesn't always show faint nicks.

Whilst the third umpire does not use snicko, he does use the audio.

There was a noise as the ball passed the bat.

Agar's reaction shows he knew he had hit it.

BTW, the YouTube clip you have linked to is edited. Were you watching it live, as I was, then you would know that the process took longer than that and both Bumble and Holding had more to say on the matter of the noise.

If Agar was convinced he hadn't hit it, why does his initial reaction show him convinced that he had?

That is chicogs youtube link , not mine.

Are you saying that if a player looks innocent of snicking a ball, that should weigh in his favour? blink.png

The decision should have been not enough evidence to overturn the on field umpires call.

laugh.png

I'll stick with the objective Michael Holding who was incredulous that it was given out.

Maybe you should have a cup of Bonox and go for a lie downbiggrin.png

laugh.png

I'll stick with the objective Michael Holding who was incredulous that it was given out.

Maybe you should have a cup of Bonox and go for a lie downbiggrin.png

Don't make me google Wil.

Bonox seems to be similar to our Bovril.

• Like 1

BTW, the YouTube clip you have linked to is edited.

That is chicogs youtube link , not mine.

Apols. But it's the link posted by Will27 I was referring to, not that posted by Chicog.

Are you saying that if a player looks innocent of snicking a ball, that should weigh in his favour?

Not at all. But I am saying that Agar knew he had hit it and was out and then saw some hope when Erasmus gave him not out.

I, too, have the greatest of respect for Holding as an objective commentator. But as said, you are basing your comments on his reaction on an edited clip; I saw and heard the whole thing as it happened. He and Bumble discussed this at length afterward, and he did concede that the third umpire may have heard a noise.

But at the end of the day, Agar was given out.

Whether that was the correct decision or not is now irrelevant, as is, for example, Trott's lbw that wasn't at Trent Bridge.

As I have already said, both sides have been the victims of poor decisions in the series so far. I doubt that Aussies would be complaining so much had they won the first test and their performance not been so dire in the second.

...^ But the press aren't showing much supporttongue.png

'From mediocrity to desperation': the Australian press on the Ashes

If Michael Clarke's side were looking for comfort at home after their Lord's disaster, they are in for a nasty surprise...http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2013/jul/22/australian-press-reaction-second-ashes-test

Love this line...""[Watson] could sell advertising space on his pads, so prominently are they featuring in each day's play," observes Haigh.laugh.png

Edited by mad mary

MALCOLM Conn runs the rule over Australia's line-up after a disappointing defeat at Lord's.

Shane Watson – 4
Once again made two good starts but fell leg before wicket twice to his sucker ball, the full inswinger.

Chris Rogers – 3
Had two confused failures to Graeme Swann, who is proving a nightmare for Australia’s left-handers.

SHELL-SHOCKED AUSSIES LOSE AGAIN

Usman Khawaja – 5
Fought hard for a second innings half-century after a dreadful shot in the first innings.

Phil Hughes – 1
His polished 81 not out at Trent Bridge is fast becoming a distant memory after scores of 1 and 1.

Michael Clarke – 6
An improved performance with a second innings half-century. Appears to be struggling with his back.

Steve Smith – 4
Picked up four bonus wickets with his occasional leg-spin but very disappointing with the bat.

Brad Haddin – 1
Disappointing match with bat and gloves. Two single figure scores and two edges he simply let go.

Ashton Agar – 1
His honeymoon lasted just one Test. The talented 19-year-old failed to take a wicket or make many runs.

Peter Siddle – 5
Another wholehearted performance on an unresponsive wicket, including a brilliant early second innings spell.

James Pattinson – 4
Was disappointing with the ball again but batted quite well. His place is in danger.

Ryan Harris – 7
Australia’s best player at Lord’s. A wonderful return to Test cricket after more than a year out.

Same same but different. Bonox tastes better.

Bit like Vegemite and the inferior Marmite

You lot couldn't bowl a pavlova.....do ya give in yet? biggrin.png

Same same but different. Bonox tastes better.

Bit like Vegemite and the inferior Marmite

You lot couldn't bowl a pavlova.....do ya give in yet? biggrin.png

You'll wake the kiwis up mentioning pavlova.

How are Kevin Rudd Prime Minister of Canada and Cricket related?

rudd.jpg?w=480&h=335

Well, one of the comments from this blog when trying to rationalise the Colonial Colonies was ...

The big difference is Canada are crap at cricket whereas Australia … oh wait ... w00t.gif

Let's get rid of this test match crap and bring on the one-dayers I saywhistling.gif

Off to the bathroom with you, young Will.

Instead of washing your hands of the Ashes ... we will be washing your mouth out with soap.

Speaking of this technique ... has anyone ever had that done to them?

I never had ... just curious.

Let's get rid of this test match crap and bring on the one-dayers I saywhistling.gif

Off to the bathroom with you, young Will.

Instead of washing your hands of the Ashes ... we will be washing your mouth out with soap.

Speaking of this technique ... has anyone ever had that done to them?

I never had ... just curious.

What, Mum washing your mouth out with soap?

My mum (bless her) not only threatened to do it but bloody cunningly did it to me as well...

Being a consumer of Lime (green) cordial as a kid had its perils :P

Is that so the pain is less prolonged?

Good point...

Is there some more T20 games we could schedule?

If the T20 and one-dayers are no good for us, maybe a game of French cricket would be in order?

• Like 1