The Ashes Tour 2013

As expected the rain decided the game, but I think the Ashes were won in the previous 2 tests. Good to see the Aussies fight back in this test though and were probably favourites to win had the rain stayed away.

Onto Durham next so Onions should at last get a game.

• Like 1

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Such a shame that it ended this way.

Australia bounced back after their dismal performance at Lords, and really deserved to win this game.

To end in a draw because of a stalwart rear guard action by the English batsmen is one thing.

For Australia to be denied a victory because of the weather is another.

Bad luck, guys. Come out fighting on Friday.

I hope England can win another of the two remaining matches just to prove they were the better team.

Could have been worse, all five matches could have been drawn due to the weather, does England need one or more grounds with a sliding roof just to guarantee an uninterrupted match in the series?

I'm glad some of our players have performed well in this test and the team is gelling after a period of shambolic performances. Although this series is gone, I hope we keep improving and grind them into the dirt next summer.

• Like 1

I hope England can win another of the two remaining matches just to prove they were the better team.

Could have been worse, all five matches could have been drawn due to the weather, does England need one or more grounds with a sliding roof just to guarantee an uninterrupted match in the series?

I don't know if the rules would allow it; but if they do it would have to be a 'king big roof!

An outstanding result.

The reason why Clarke didn't declare on 300 is because he's now fearful of the English. In his mind, and the mind of his management colleagues, they could see Root, Bell, or Pieterson strolling out on Monday and cracking out 140. This played with their heads.

10 years ago they would have declared at 250 and been confident of winning. England drew this test because they have put doubt into the minds of the Australians. That's all part of the psyche of team sports, and test cricket.

Just as much as the weather is part of test cricket. So stop moaning and celebrate the result.

Oh, and be embarrassed that it's a Scotsman that's having to point out the nuances of the game to you.

smile.png

So, the last day of a test, the prospect of getting a full days play very remote and 332 needed to win.

You reckon the Aussies would try for victory in the limited time available when all they need is a draw to clinch the series?

Of course they would.

Now, excuse me, please: I have to go and chase those pigs who are perching in the trees.

They went for quick scoring yesterday (which in the circumstances was the right thing to do). Result? 172 for 7!

Recent history has shown that the Aussies would look for the win from the outset.

That doesn't mean they have to be rash and have poor shot selection (granted this seems to be the case recently), rather they just have to keep the run rate ticking over like they always do. Run rate of 3.6 needed, difficult but achievable.

They certainly would not apply childish time wasting tactics early on in the innings. Towards the end if in trouble, perhaps.

BTW, why have your pigs escaped to your trees again? Are you telling us porkies 7by7? laugh.png

An outstanding result.

The reason why Clarke didn't declare on 300 is because he's now fearful of the English. In his mind, and the mind of his management colleagues, they could see Root, Bell, or Pieterson strolling out on Monday and cracking out 140. This played with their heads.

10 years ago they would have declared at 250 and been confident of winning. England drew this test because they have put doubt into the minds of the Australians. That's all part of the psyche of team sports, and test cricket.

Just as much as the weather is part of test cricket. So stop moaning and celebrate the result.

Oh, and be embarrassed that it's a Scotsman that's having to point out the nuances of the game to you.

smile.png

Not sure who is moaning and as for a Scotsman pointing out the nuances of the game, you've just stated the obvious, 250 would have been reachable without the rain delays. In hindsight Clark is probably thinking more about the timing of his declaration in their first innings, probably should have batted longer and made the follow-on target harder to get.

• Like 1

An outstanding result.

smile.png

Not sure I'd being say being completely outplayed and saved by the rain an outstanding result. Unless you're just talking

about retaining the Ashes.

Yes they would've declared on 250, 10 years ago. But they had 2 guys by the name of Warne and McGrath.

You might remember thembiggrin.png

I'd suggest England drew this test because of the weather only. But that happens in Test cricket so everyone moves on to

the next match.

BTW, I think Australia played above themselves this test and it needed something special from the captain.

Looking forward to the next test.

• Like 1

Eh? How were they completely outplayed? 368 was a decent knock, no disgrace there. I've seen many other performances by England where they were genuinely outplayed, this is not one of them.

Anyway I'm not bothered about the rest of the ties, the series is over already. It's a dead rubber now. The edge has gone. The worst thing that can happen to Australia is to win the next two tests as that will set a Hare running for the Winter Ashes.

I'm glad some of our players have performed well in this test and the team is gelling after a period of shambolic performances. Although this series is gone, I hope we keep improving and grind them into the dirt next summer.

Only four months away, can you improve in such a short time? wink.png

Test Match Schedule

21-25 Nov 2013 England v Australia 1st Test Gabba, Brisbane 05-09 Dec 2013 England v Australia 2nd Test Adelaide Oval 13-17 Dec 2013 England v Australia 3rd Test WACA, Perth 26-30 Dec 2013 England v Australia 4th Test Melbourne Cricket Ground 03-07 Jan 2014 England v Australia 5th Test Sydney Cricket Ground

Edited by uptheos

Test Match Schedule

21-25 Nov 2013 England v Australia 1st Test Gabba, Brisbane 05-09 Dec 2013 England v Australia 2nd Test Adelaide Oval 13-17 Dec 2013 England v Australia 3rd Test WACA, Perth 26-30 Dec 2013 England v Australia 4th Test Melbourne Cricket Ground 03-07 Jan 2014 England v Australia 5th Test Sydney Cricket Ground

Improvement would be minimal. We just lost 4-0 in India prior to the Ashes. That of course was not helped by suspending a few players for forgetting their homework, but it seems unlikely we will suddenly find new run scoring batsmen.

Now the coach Mickey Mouse Arthur has gone, there is some more team harmony, though still a little fractured. I think part of the issue is the disharmony.

• Like 1

So, the last day of a test, the prospect of getting a full days play very remote and 332 needed to win.

You reckon the Aussies would try for victory in the limited time available when all they need is a draw to clinch the series?

Of course they would.

Now, excuse me, please: I have to go and chase those pigs who are perching in the trees.

They went for quick scoring yesterday (which in the circumstances was the right thing to do). Result? 172 for 7!

Recent history has shown that the Aussies would look for the win from the outset.

That doesn't mean they have to be rash and have poor shot selection (granted this seems to be the case recently), rather they just have to keep the run rate ticking over like they always do. Run rate of 3.6 needed, difficult but achievable.

They certainly would not apply childish time wasting tactics early on in the innings. Towards the end if in trouble, perhaps.

BTW, why have your pigs escaped to your trees again? Are you telling us porkies 7by7? laugh.png

So what childish, timewasting tactics did England employ yesterday morning?

Losing three wickets? That used up a bit of time!

Bell hurting his hand? Sure, he did that on purpose.

Trott's fiddling and fussing? Everyone knows he does that in every innings; even one dayers.

But if any play had been possible after the long rain delay following lunch, then I would have expected England to shut up shop even more than they did in the morning; and had the positions been reversed then I'm sure Australia, if they had needed just a draw to retain the Ashes, would have done exactly the same.

It's not pretty, but, like slow over rates, it's part of the modern game; unfortunately.

Much as Broad was criticised for his 'shoe tactic' at Lords, no one has criticised the Aussie batsmen for doing the same sort of thing here just before lunch on the first day, for the same reason and with the same result. The umpires made them play one more over anyway; good for them, at least they got one thing right!

Edited by 7by7

Congratulations to the Aussies on their performance here; they certainly deserved the win.

I'm sure that, like me, all cricket lovers are disappointed that the weather robbed them of it.

So far, apart from their performance at Lords, the Aussies have nothing to be ashamed of; a close finish at Trent Bridge which could have gone either way and dominating this game. They could easily be 2-1 up!

Despite what one poster here says, the series is not over. I'm sure that Australia will still want to win at Chester-Le-Street and The Oval.

England certainly want to win those games: Ashes 2013: England want to win series - Andy Flower.

Those who say they are not bothered now Australia cannot win the series cannot have any real love for, or even real interest in, the game.

Edited by 7by7
  • Like 1

Those who say they are not bothered now Australia cannot win the series cannot have any real love for, or even mere interest in, the game.

Those who say they are not bothered now Australia cannot win the series cannot have any real love for, or even real interest in, the game.

*edited by bookman as per 7by7s edit to his own

Oh 7by7, you do make some absurdly outlandish statements! clap2.gif

Such a nonsense statement I have not seen for quite a while.

I love the game, but I did not expect Australia to win the series. The fact they now cannot win the series does not concern me in the least and nor does it diminish my interest or my love for the game.

* i can see you have edited your quote since i replied...which i have now recognised

Edited by BookMan

If you read all the previous posts from all posters you will see that the remark is not directed at you.

I have not seen anything you have posted which would indicate that it possibly could be!

We may disagree on certain aspects of how test cricket should be played; but I have no doubts about your love for the game.

• Like 1

Test Match Schedule

Improvement would be minimal. We just lost 4-0 in India prior to the Ashes. That of course was not helped by suspending a few players for forgetting their homework, but it seems unlikely we will suddenly find new run scoring batsmen.

Now the coach Mickey Mouse Arthur has gone, there is some more team harmony, though still a little fractured. I think part of the issue is the disharmony.

Australia being 3-4 hours ahead, makes for perfect viewing time here.

How come England are going to Oz so soon?

Test Match Schedule

Australia being 3-4 hours ahead, makes for perfect viewing time here.

Something about breaking the cycle of having Ashes series directly before the Cricket World Cups. The Ashes are to come forward by one year, starting with this 2013/14 series.

Tradition.

The series have always been played biennially, and this means that, due to England and Australia being in opposite hemisphere, sometimes one quickly follows another.

See this list of past series.

Edit:

Sorry, forgot the World Cup!

The next series has been brought forward as Bookman says. Then the biennial cycle will continue from then.

Edited by 7by7

Test Match Schedule

I don't think there's that much improvement to be done. They have shown they can match England. They just need to be consistent and not repeat the Lords debacle.

• Like 1

Like it or lump it the series is over.

No one will be sitting on the edge of their seats the next two matches.

Roll on the Winter Series, if England can win that then that will be a crushing blow for the team formerly known as the best in the World.

Test Match Schedule

I don't think there's that much improvement to be done. They have shown they can match England. They just need to be consistent and not repeat the Lords debacle.

You're putting too much store on one good knock. Michael Clarke showed himself up in the end, the brilliance of his batting undone by weak Captaincy.

Roll on the Winter Series, if England can win that then that will be a crushing blow for the team formerly known as the best in the World.

Maybe speak for yourself about no one sitting on the edge of their seats.

I for one will be taking a keen interest in the remaining two matches as I do

in every test match which Australia plays, especially Ashes games.

I'm sure Alistair Cook would like to "win" the Ashes back rather than retain them and

I'm pretty sure Clarke and Co would like to draw the series.

Yes, formally the best in the world when we dominated for well over a decade.

Still waiting for your dominationwhistling.gif

• Like 1

Maybe speak for yourself about no one sitting on the edge of their seats.

I for one will be taking a keen interest in the remaining two matches as I do

in every test match which Australia plays, especially Ashes games.

I'm sure Alistair Cook would like to "win" the Ashes back rather than retain them and

I'm pretty sure Clarke and Co would like to draw the series.

Yes, formally the best in the world when we dominated for well over a decade.

Still waiting for your dominationwhistling.gif

theblether is Scottish Will, so you may be waiting a long while laugh.png

Now you're all just being argumentative, you all know as well as I do that the series is finished as a meaningful spectacle.

As per above ... Each match for me, is a test ... in every sense of the word.

Most likely, the thousands who will attend the matches in person and the hundreds of thousands world wide (don't discount the Indian Audience) may disagree with your supposition.

Yes, I know, those tickets are pre-sold ... still, it will be the bums on seats as the real test.

• Like 2

The key phrase is pre-sold. The TV audience and engagement will tell the real story.

If you gave the Australian team a magic wand they would be on a flight home tomorrow. They're not interested in pfaffing around here playing for nothing.

It was the same with England when they won the Ashes in Australia last time round, all they wanted was to go straight to the airport and home, but they had to play a stupid one day series.

I remember Kevin Pieterson having the temerity of telling the truth then, he was angry that the team was denied a chance to fly in to Heathrow as victors. The team came back in dribs and drabs.

This series is finished, the next two results are worthless as you can be sure that the games will be played at a different psychological pitch.

I blame Michael Clarke's weak Captaincy for that, Australia drew that test through fear.

Quite embarrassing really. coffee1.gif

Your comments indicate that you neither care for nor know much about the game.

Go back to your tossing (cabers, that is).

The results at Chester-Le-Street and The Oval could have a major effect on each teams psychology come November.

England on a downer because they just held onto the Ashes in a 2-2 draw thanks to the weather and Australia on a high because they would have won 3-2 but for the weather?

Or England on a high because they won 4-0?

Or any other combination.

Even the Aussies looking on this series as a warm up for the real series beginning in November!

Edited by 7by7
  • Like 1