Phuket Gov faces battery of 17 ambassadors

webfact

Phuket Gov faces battery of 17 ambassadors
Alasdair Forbes

1371232319_1.jpg
Netherlands Ambassador Henk Cor van der Kwast: ‘It’s obvious that something needs to be done at the Bangkok level.’

PHUKET: -- The press conference afterwards may not have reflected it – diplomats are, after all, supposed to be diplomatic in public – but according to sources who attended yesterday’s (June 14) meeting between government officials and 17 ambassadors from the European Union, some tough points about tourist safety and fair treatment of visitors were made.

Speaking at the JW Marriott in Mai Khao, Governor Maitree Intusut – after an introductory remark that Phuket appeared to be attractive not only to tourists but also to diplomats – said that discussions covered, among other matters, boat safety and public transport – which he said is “gradually improving”.

He also announced that any tourist with a problem was welcome to contact his office directly, an alternative to dealing with police who have been accused of heavy-handedness – especially in the recent case of a French family who realised that they had emerged from the airport with no entry stamp, went back to airport Immigration and were arrested.

The governor explained that authorities were taking a strict line with passengers of the airline on which the French family arrived because narcotics had been found many times in passengers’ possession.

Although the family had been fined, he added, he had personally “absorbed” their fines.

EU Ambassador David Lipman said that there would be “several types of follow-up from the meeting”. One of the most public will be the revival of regular meetings between the governor and local honorary consuls after an eight-month hiatus. The next will be held on June 28.

Spanish Ambassador Antonio Casado Rigalt recommended that Phuket look at adopting a system similar to that of many countries in Europe, where blue flags are awarded to beaches where the water quality and the quality of beachside facilities meets certain minimum standards.

The Netherlands Ambassador Henk Cor van der Kwast said, “If there are particular points we can inform [the Governor] about them. The proof of the pudding will then be in the eating.

“But I must say the impression was good. It started off with ‘How wonderful Phuket is’ but then it changed to ‘But there are some problems’, and then ‘How can we make progress?’

Phuket in recent days has been visited not only by the EU ambassadors but also by their counterparts from the US and China, the country’s Minister of Tourism & Sports, a deputy minister of Interior and the Senate Tourism Committee – all discussing tourist safety or degradation of the island’s tourist facilities.

Did the ambassador think this indicated that Phuket’s woes are now a national issue and that local authorities need help from Bangkok?

“It’s obvious that something needs to be done at the Bangkok level. That can be pressure, or help. The problem is too big.”

British Ambassador Mark Kent said later, “I’m not going to be making judgements about whether things in Phuket are out of control, but we had a good meeting with the governor today talking about tourism and some of the general issues affecting residents.

“Phuket is a very important tourist destination for EU nations – the UK, Germany and Sweden, to name just three – an we want to see out nationals in a situation where they want to come back, where they feel safe and where they feel they are receiving just treatment.

“I think the governor understands what we say … and there are issues that we will be tackling together, in particular taxis and tuk-tuks, getting a workable transportation system for a fair price.

“So we hope the local and national authorities will take this forward. They realise that if tourists feel that they are not having a good experience they will not return.

“The thing about European tourists is that, per capita they spend a lot of money in the local economy. And once they go – we were talking with tour operators about this today – it’s hard to get them back.

“So I think for the strategic development of Phuket it’s important that a small minority of people, that certain issues, don’t spoil the development potential of the whole region. That would be killing the goose that lays the golden eggs.”

The high-profile meeting, Amb Kent added, is part of an ongoing dialogue. “I think the governor recognises the concerns, the interests, the objectives of the international community in terms of the foreign tourists here.”

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-gov-faces-battery-of-17-ambassadors-40142.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2013-06-15

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

VIDEO REPORT: European Union tackles Phuket tourism woes
Phuket Gazette

PHUKET: -- Ambassadors from 17 European nations today brought to the Phuket Governor’s attention four critical issues plaguing Phuket’s tourism industry: road transport, boat safety, tourist security and jet-skis.

“The meeting today was held to identify several key issues affecting European tourists to Thailand and to come up with solutions to these problems,” said European Union (EU) Ambassador to Thailand David Lipman, who led the 18-ambassador delegation.

At a press conference after the closed-door meeting, Phuket Governor Maitri Inthusut explained that an “incremental” approach was being taken in improving Phuket’s road transportation for tourists.

“We are working with local authorities in developing several key aspects of road transportation. We are working on providing public bus services and on improving the taxi situation. It will improve gradually,” he said.

He added that the same approach was being taken in improving boat safety.

A key factor in improving tourists’ safety while in or on the water around Phuket is having tourists understand the warnings and safety information provided, Italian Ambassador Michelangelo Pipan pointed out.

“Having the same flag out all the time [indicating whether or not it is safe to swim] during the monsoon period, doesn’t help. People disregard it,” Amb Pipan said.

“Also, having beach guards issue inappropriate warnings causes problems of their own,” he added.

However, Amb Pipan said the Governor has assured him that his office had called on local government agencies to boost maritime safety.

“The maritime authorities, including the Marine Police, have been alerted to this problem [boat safety] and are taking action to make it safer,” the ambassador said.

“We are working with all the appropriate authorities in having the right agencies giving the right warnings to tourists, posting the right flags and making sure the right personnel are on the beaches,” he said. “Hopefully, this will result in less deaths in the future.”

Amb Pipan did recognize the Governor’s comment that tourists are often determined to enjoy water activities while on holiday, sometimes at their own jeopardy.

“Many tourists come to Phuket specifically to enjoy the beaches or to go out on a boat. This can be problematic,” Amb Pipan said.

Asked what confirmed action will follow today’s meeting, EU Ambassador Lipman said the quarterly meetings between the honorary consuls on the island and Phuket’s top officials will resume in the near future.

“Also, after this meeting today, we will share these concerns with other ambassadors and government officials in Bangkok to work together to come up with solutions,” Amd Lipman said.

“We will also be meeting the Tourism Minister [somsak Pureesrisak] on about June 28,” he added.

Governor Maitri urged any tourists who find themselves in need of urgent assistance to call the Governor’s Office directly.

The Governor’s Office can be contacted at 076-211 001.

Source: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket_news/2013/VIDEO-REPORT-European-Union-tackles-Phuket-tourism-woes-21338.html

pglogo.jpg
-- Phuket Gazette 2013-06-15

Ambassadors from around the world have been pointing out the problems to Governors for years and nothing has ever been done. Nothing will change and the same points will be discussed at next years meeting. What would these meddling farangs know?

Sadly you are correct sad.png

• Like 2

The real issue here is do they appoint one committee to look at the whole situation with sub committees examining individual aspects or do they appoint one committee for each problem or maybe one committee for each ambassador. I guess they will need a committee to decide how many committees will be needed.

Could be a long time before they move on to the impact studies needed to completed before any action can be taken.

• Like 1

Can you ever imagine the putting ther hand up and say sorry, we made a mistake?

No. Here there is an excuse for everything, no one will ever admit a mistake. Like children.

Instead we hear how people using that airline are a always bringing drugs in so we had to lock them up. Along with their child....

• Like 2

making sure that all the govt bodies follow their SOPs and create some for the taxi operators...beach operators.. .hotels...airlines...boats...car and bike hirers...if all follow their SOPs strictly and and if not...impose penalty or even to the cancelation of their licenses....things will be in place..

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

This may a a different question for another area BUT

While we now that "tourist Farang" have issues. Is it relatively safe for us "Thai living farang" to visit Phuket. My gf wants to go there and to be honest i would to mind it either.

Although the family had been fined, he added, he had personally “absorbed” their fines.

So the immigration made a mistake in stamp and still the family have to pay for the fault of the others ???????? how weird is that

weird

/wɪərd/ Show Spelled adjective, weird·er, weird·est, noun

adjective

1. involving or suggesting the supernatural; unearthly or uncanny: a weird sound; weird lights.
2. fantastic; bizarre: a weird getup.
3. Archaic. concerned with or controlling fate or destiny.

4. Thailand.

Edited by chooka

"Gradually improving" must be diplomatic codespeak for deteriorating, sucks, and an ongoing threat to tourists from my country... (Funny how the US ambassador used almost exactly the same 2 words. Well, not so funny, actually.)

Lancelot has got it right though. What's the incentive for any real change?

Edited by hawker9000

The obvious thoughts of the Phuket Governor would run, probably, like this.

This is Thailand, we speak Thai, we do things in the Thai ways, and those farangs don't know this country is the best in the world.

• Like 1

I find it amusing that none of the usual bashers of the central government do not acknowledge that Phuket is a Democrat party fiefdom and that some of the implicated local politicians are key supporters of the Democrats in Phuket.

Actually despite all it's faults Phuket is still the popular place to visit in Thailand and Bangkok is regularly touted as one of the best tourist cities in the world.

Not bad for Democrat fiefdoms !

Yes, I agree with all of the above comments. We would surely be a lot better off by NOT having our Ambassadors come to town and discuss the issues, in private, with the Governor. I see complaints that they don't come and just ignore it, and then they get complaints when they do. Let's face it, some people just like to complain. This is why our officials do not read TV comments to form their opinions on what to do. They use the diplomatic channels to get things done. Amazing how things work well when you are civil and not demanding. You don't force anyone into a corner and expect positive results. Ever!

• Like 1

This may a a different question for another area BUT

While we now that "tourist Farang" have issues. Is it relatively safe for us "Thai living farang" to visit Phuket. My gf wants to go there and to be honest i would to mind it either.

Do not go there. I took my Thai wife and like me she was appalled at the magnitude of the rip-offs/scams that operated all around - particularly the transport system. I went as a farang tourist many years ago & was ripped off by tailors and a made-to-measure suit.

I returned as an ex-pat & could not afford a tuk-tuk!