Myanmar Interfaith marriage opposed

webfact

Myanmar women's groups oppose interfaith marriage proposal

YANGON: -- Leading Myanmar women's groups on Tuesday came out against proposed restrictions on interfaith marriage put forward by an extremist Buddhist monk.

The RAINFALL women’s organisation and seven other groups said they opposed the campaign to get the parliament to pass a law requiring any Buddhist woman seeking to marry a Muslim to first gain permission from her parents and local government officials.

"We see this as discrimination against Myanmar women," said Zin Mar Aung, a former political prisoner who now heads RAINFALL.

The influential Mandalay-based Buddhist monk Wirathu, who earlier this year launched the 969 movement calling on Buddhists to boycott Muslim-owned shops, last week mooted his draft legislation at a convention of 200 Myanmar monks held to discuss the rising sectarian violence in the country.

The gathered monks refused to discuss the proposal, but Wirathu said he is undeterred.

"I have dreamed of this law for a long time," Wirathu said. "This is to protect Buddhist women." Wirathu is seeking 300,000 signatures to support the proposal, which he will then submit to parliament through supportive legislators, he said.

The law would also force any Muslim man marrying a Buddhist to convert Buddhism, the main religion in Myanmar.

Violators would face up to 10 years in prison and having their property confiscated.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-06-18

Zin Mar Aung must be a Muslim herself or maybe she just want to be wife NR. 4 to a Burmese Muslim man.

I totally agree with Wirathu, hope he get all the signatures he needs.

• Like 1

There are fanatics in all religions.

This one seems particularly bigoted and a disgrace to Buddhism.

Sent from my GT-I9003 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

It’s strange when an individual who actually believes in the Religions ideology gets labelled a fanatic – Whilst those who wish to see themselves as Religious get labelled moderates when they ignore the negative aspects of their God’s laws. Surely religion's ideology is either real (God's Laws) or it isn't, and if the later then let society do away with it. I come from Ireland where the actually tenets of Catholicism did in times past ban interfaith and interracial marriages. The only future for the woman and minorities in Myanmar is a Secular Constitution where all religions have the right to practice and all people the right to challenge the varies religion myths.

• Like 1

It’s strange when an individual who actually believes in the Religions ideology gets labelled a fanatic – Whilst those who wish to see themselves as Religious get labelled moderates when they ignore the negative aspects of their God’s laws.  Surely religion's ideology is either real (God's Laws) or it isn't, and if the later then let society do away with it.  I come from Ireland where the actually tenets of Catholicism did in times past ban interfaith and interracial marriages.  The only future for the woman and minorities in Myanmar is a Secular Constitution where all religions have the right to practice and all people the right to challenge the varies religion myths. 

10 years in prison, property confiscated? Fanaticism in my book just for being Muslim.

• Like 2

I am personalty behind Wirathu all the way. I agree with his views totally, we should all be very concerned about the menacing growth of Islam (with their hidden agendas) and do everything in our power to curb their insidious intentions.

The only way would be for the Muslim man to give up Islam rather than the woman to give up Buddhism.

The majority should not be hit with a sledgehammer because of the actions of a lunatic minority.

• Like 2

It’s strange when an individual who actually believes in the Religions ideology gets labelled a fanatic – Whilst those who wish to see themselves as Religious get labelled moderates when they ignore the negative aspects of their God’s laws. Surely religion's ideology is either real (God's Laws) or it isn't, and if the later then let society do away with it. I come from Ireland where the actually tenets of Catholicism did in times past ban interfaith and interracial marriages. The only future for the woman and minorities in Myanmar is a Secular Constitution where all religions have the right to practice and all people the right to challenge the varies religion myths.

10 years in prison, property confiscated? Fanaticism in my book just for being Muslim.

Fanaticism - again we only talk like this when we deal with religion - If u belive that the earth rotates on its own axis every 24 hours u don’t get labelled a Solar Fanatic – If you believe that woman are equal to men you don’t get labelled a Secular Fanatic - But if u actually believe that tenets of ur religion, u get labelled radical or fanatical – The issue is that society allows religion to play be different rules.

Zin Mar Aung must be a Muslim herself or maybe she just want to be wife NR. 4 to a Burmese Muslim man.

Wrong.

• Like 1

I am personalty behind Wirathu all the way. I agree with his views totally, we should all be very concerned about the menacing growth of Islam (with their hidden agendas) and do everything in our power to curb their insidious intentions.

The only way would be for the Muslim man to give up Islam rather than the woman to give up Buddhism.

Wrong.

• Like 1

In your subscript you proudly proclaim: "It will be a wonderful day when religions are not taken seriously". In that case how do you reconcile this with the religious bigotry expressed in your comment above?

And if the monk's plans are adopted, that'll make it difficult for any foreigner (non Buddhist) to marry a girl in Myanmar. Just sayin.

And if the monk's plans are adopted, that'll make it difficult for any foreigner (non Buddhist) to marry a girl in Myanmar. Just sayin.

Technically foreigners cannot marry Myanmar citizens (in Myanmar) anyway. This is not something new.

In your subscript you proudly proclaim: "It will be a wonderful day when religions are not taken seriously". In that case how do you reconcile this with the religious bigotry expressed in your comment above?

The monk in question is against People being forced to become a Muslim if she wants to marry a Muslim man, thats the rule in Islam and its wrong, very wrong people should be free to choose.

• Like 2

Wrong.

The monk in question is against People being forced to become a Muslim if she wants to marry a Muslim man, thats the rule in Islam and its wrong, very wrong people should be free to choose.

your handle and avatar is self-explanatory whistling.gif

Is it true that when a Muslim and a non Muslim want to marry,then the non Muslim must convert to Islam?. If this is so, then what this Buddhist monk is asking for, is the same rules that the Muslims already have.

How buddhistic of the monk to make those discriminating demands. He sure as hell won't be seeing nirvana any time soon with that attitude!

He won't be going anyway. No-one ever does.

Is it true that when a Muslim and a non Muslim want to marry,then the non Muslim must convert to Islam?. If this is so, then what this Buddhist monk is asking for, is the same rules that the Muslims already have.

Unfortunately as we all know Islam is a static religion with centuries old superstitions so all Buddhists must stand up to them.

"I have dreamed of this law for a long time," Wirathu said. "This is to protect Buddhist women."

Wirathu is seeking 300,000 signatures to support the proposal, which he will then submit to parliament through supportive legislators, he said.

The law would also force any Muslim man marrying a Buddhist to convert Buddhism, the main religion in Myanmar.

Violators would face up to 10 years in prison and having their property confiscated.

Myanmar has seen a spate of anti-Muslim clashes and riots since June 2012, when Buddhist communities in the Rakhine State attacked Rohingya Muslims after the alleged rape and murder of a Buddhist woman by three Muslims.

Weeks of violence left 167 dead and 125,000 people homeless, according to government figures.

This year there have been at least three outbreaks of sectarian violence in central and northern regions.

Edited by newermonkey

How buddhistic of the monk to make those discriminating demands. He sure as hell won't be seeing nirvana any time soon with that attitude!

He won't be going anyway. No-one ever does.

And the Muslims wont be going to paradise where the young boys are all lined up waiting for a bunch of slavering old men either.

Yes. However conversion is not common, as the male/female Buddhist would normally be ostracised by their family. I have observed this practice in Thailand & would assume it's the same in Myanmar. Vice versa also applies.

Remember their is a deeper level of discrimination against Muslims regards relationships in Myanmar e.g. Rohingya are required to request permission from the authorities to marry, together with the maximum two child policy.

Edited by simple1

Surely you jest, sir... what benefits are there exactly to putting this restriction on the freedoms of women? And what does it matter if Zin Mar Aung does want what you so groundlessly suggest?

Fanaticism - again we only talk like this when we deal with religion - If u belive that the earth rotates on its own axis every 24 hours u don’t get labelled a Solar Fanatic – If you believe that woman are equal to men you don’t get labelled a Secular Fanatic - But if u actually believe that tenets of ur religion, u get labelled radical or fanatical – The issue is that society allows religion to play be different rules.

That's because there is irrefutable evidence that the earth rotates on its own axis. there is also plenty of scientific evidence showing women to be equal to men... but religious faith has no basis in fact (hence why it is called faith, which basically means to believe something without clear evidence).

• Like 1

So the best way to ensure this freedom of choice is to remove another freedom? Brilliant.

Yes. However conversion is not common, as the male/female Buddhist would normally be ostracised by their family. I have observed this practice in Thailand & would assume it's the same in Myanmar. Vice versa also applies.

Remember their is a deeper level of discrimination against Muslims regards relationships in Myanmar e.g. Rohingya are required to request permission from the authorities to marry, together with the maximum two child policy.

Strange because I know of quite a few cases of a Buddhist marrying a Muslim here in the south of Thailand, and in every instance the none Muslim had to convert to Islam,though I've never heard of the Buddhist being ostracized by the Buddhist community.