Rough surf serves up bluebottles at Phuket beach

webfact

Rough surf serves up bluebottles at Phuket beach
Phuket Gazette

bb.jpg
Small bluebottles, also known as Portuguese man o’ war, have been found along Phuket’s west coast. Photo: Daren Jenner

PHUKET: The Phuket Marine Biological Center (PMBC) has confirmed that the stingers found washed ashore at Surin Beach this week are bluebottles, also known as Portuguese man o’ war.

The stingers found so far are juveniles, reported Phuket Gazette reader Daren Jenner.

“The presence of these bluebottles on the west coast started about five days ago with the onset of strong southwest monsoon winds blowing them in from the Indian Ocean,” he said.

“Beachgoers should watch where they walk in the sand. They are currently being deposited at the high tide line,” he added.

PMBC marine biologist Charatsee Aungtonya cautioned that bluebottles, when they do arrive in numbers along Phuket’s west coast, are also often found at Kata, Karon, Nai Harn and Nai Thon beaches.

“However, these bluebottles found on Surin Beach are our first reported bluebottles this year,” she said.

Bluebottle stings can result in a severe burning sensation, warned Ms Charatsee.

“Unlike with jellyfish stings, people stung by bluebottles should not pour vinegar on the wound. This can make it worse,” she said.

“Instead, immediately wash the wound with lots of seawater followed by lots of very warm water. And seek medical assistance as soon as possible just in case,” she urged.

Source: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket_news/2013/Rough-surf-serves-up-bluebottles-at-Phuket-beach-21378.html

pglogo.jpg
-- Phuket Gazette 2013-06-19

These things can kill people.

Conduct yourselves accordingly.

How do you write in Thai "Swimming competition. Great prizes. Only available for local tuk-tuk drivers"?

These things can kill people.

Conduct yourselves accordingly.

Don't be melodramatic. Only potentially deadly to a few people that might have severe allergies or if they come upon a swarm, which we have never seen here.

About 5 days ago I noticed several on Kata beach. Very small, just 4-5cm bladders, but the bladders deflate once they hit the beach so when afloat they are a bit bigger. Largest I have seen in the water here was about 10 cm bladder. The tentacles on that one were about 4m long.

• Like 2

I nearly died fom them. But I did have many stings on both arms my neck and upper back. In my case it was not algery but excessive exposure to the toxin, because I,d been stung by them before, but only a few stings which even then was very painful

I nearly died fom them. But I did have many stings on both arms my neck and upper back. In my case it was not algery but excessive exposure to the toxin, because I,d been stung by them before, but only a few stings which even then was very painful

Gamini, where did this happen? Did you get medical treatment, and what did they do?

Google Portuguese Man o' War.

However, if you encounter the Kata variety, stay calm cool and relaxed.

To scream bloody murder upon one of these things drags its wee tentacles over your package would be tantamount to Phuket bashing, the side effects can be devastating to the trapped and terminally bored.

Hope this helps, Funseekers.