Jewish man killed near Jerusalem's Western Wall

webfact

Jewish man killed near Western Wall

JERUSALEM: -- A Jewish Israeli man has been shot dead by guards near Jerusalem's Western Wall, police say.

Gunfire was heard on Friday morning at the wall, one of Judaism's holiest sites.

The Reshet Bet radio network said the man, 46, was shot dead by a civilian security officer who claimed he heard him shout "Allahu Akbar" and pulled something from his pocket.

The wall is visited by thousands of worshippers each week.

Full story: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-22998915

bbclogo.jpg
-- BBC 2013-06-21

Israeli killed by guard at Jewish holy site in Jerusalem

JERUSALEM (Reuters) - A security guard shot and killed an Israeli man on Friday at one of Judaism's holiest sites in Jerusalem, the Western Wall, which was immediately shut to visitors, police said.

The guard opened fire after the man, in an adjacent restroom, was heard shouting "Allahu Akbar," Arabic for "God is greatest", police spokesman Micky Rosenfeld said.

Rosenfeld said the guard opened fire with his pistol because he suspected the man was a Palestinian militant. "The fact he shouted Allahu Akbar, that seems to be why the security guard drew his weapon and fired a number of shots at him," he said.

Full story: http://news.yahoo.com/israeli-killed-guard-jewish-holy-jerusalem-051830299.html

-- REUTERS 2013-06-21

That's a weird story. Maybe he was trying to commit suicide by soldier. The article doesn't mention whether he had a bomb or not, so I reckon, not.

The Jerusalem Post states:

Magen David Adom stated that a security guard shot an approximately 46-year-old Jewish man in the public restroom at the Western Wall after the man reportedly yelled "Allahu Akbar," Arabic for "God is great," and took an object out of his pocket.

Police spokesman Micky Rosenfeld said the guard opened fire with his pistol because he suspected the man was a Palestinian terrorist. "The fact he shouted Allahu Akbar, that seems to be why the security guard drew his weapon and fired a number of shots at him," he said.

MDA paramedics treated the injured man on the scene, but he succumbed to his wounds.

Police were investigating the circumstances of the incident.

The incident occurred shortly before 8 a.m. on Friday morning, a time when hundreds of Jewish worshipers were visiting the Western Wall.

Who knows what really happened?

I would imagine that if he did shout Allahur Akbar and looked to pull something out of his pocket, then they had no choice but to shoot, no way to 'sit down and talk about it over a cup of tea'.

Unfortunately, this is what terrorism does, you have to take them out (whoever they are) because if you don't hundreds can be slaughtered in a heartbeat.

Guard shoots Jew dead at Jerusalem's Western Wall: Police

JERUSALEM (AFP) - An Israeli security guard shot dead a Jewish visitor at Jerusalem's Western Wall, Judaism's holiest site, on Friday, mistaking him for a Palestinian militant, police said.

"He for some reason shouted 'Allahu Akbar'," police spokesman Micky Rosenfeld told AFP.

"A security guard drew his weapon and fired several shots at the suspect... He died from his wounds a few moments ago."

afplogo.jpg
-- (c) Copyright AFP 2013-06-21

Did I get this straight?:

" ...The guard opened fire after the man, in an adjacent restroom.... and took an object out of his pocket."

That seems like a pretty close inspection in a rather private area.

Edited by Credo

Did I get this straight?:

" ...The guard opened fire after the man, in an adjacent restroom.... and took an object out of his pocket."

That seems like a pretty close inspection in a rather private area.

I know that sometimes I'm breaking my neck for a pee, but I would never shout Allahu Akbar when taking out the inoffensive weapon to do so. wink.png

• Like 1

people shout allahu akbar for all kinds of reasons. like in moments of joy. if you to a football game and your favorite team shot a goal - allahu akbar.

Apparently, it's not a wise thing to do around the Western Wall.

I know quite a few Jewish people and none of them feel the need to shout Allahu Akbar at a football game or anywhere else for that matter.

• Like 1

The bit about him "pulling something from his pocket" could easily be added in to make it easier to swallow, its a very very easy way for police/security anywhere to deflect responsibility when a mistaken shooting occurs.

But who knows...maybe he did. Maybe it was as JT said, suicide by soldier. Maybe it was a young soldier who was a little too jumpy...I guess we'll find out. Weird how terrorists have made "God is Great" a fearful thing...

Edited by kblaze

Israeli soldiers don't just go around shooting Jewish men at the temple wall........when was the last time anyone heard such a thing?

Get over it and as Jinthing mentions it's a sure suicide method, as they won't shoot to wound. If they think you're about to set of an explosive they'll make sure you're dead ASAP, not even a twitching finger left.

Israeli soldiers don't just go around shooting Jewish men at the temple wall........when was the last time anyone heard such a thing?

Get over it and as Jinthing mentions it's a sure suicide method, as they won't shoot to wound. If they think you're about to set of an explosive they'll make sure you're dead ASAP, not even a twitching finger left.

Israeli soldiers ! Didn't read that in the story.

The report doesn't say just how many witnesses heard the man shouting that God is Great. Surely, the authorities will need more than the word of the "civilian" assailant, to justify the attack. In such a vulnerable and venerable place, there must be CCTV.

Yes, there should be video of the incident.

The shooter's claim that the victim was pulling something out during the shouting will be the key for his defense.

It seems the victim (possibly homeless man) was known to have a history of displaying bizarre public behavior -- fits of screaming and rage according to Haaretz.

So maybe not suicide, just a mentally ill man shouting the wrong thing at the wrong place at the wrong time.

Edited by Jingthing

I cant see anything wrong with someone practicing their religious freedom.

I also cant see anything wrong with someone trying to uphold peace and civility

Religion needs to be kept quiet like masturbation... No need to shout about it and let the whole world know :)

Maybe he thought he was Brazillian

And running from a tube station in London, where having black hair & running is apparently assumed to mean you are a terrorist.

On 22nd July 2005, 27 year old Jean Charles de Menezes was shot 7 times in the head by police officers at Stockwell tube station as part of a pre-planned anti-terrorism operation.

No one has been held responsible for his death

I don't think he shouted Allahu Akbar or took any objects out of his pocket and even if he did it would hardly have warranted 7 shots to the head.

Edited by Suradit69

Yes, there should be video of the incident.

The shooter's claim that the victim was pulling something out during the shouting will be the key for his defense.

It seems the victim (possibly homeless man) was known to have a history of displaying bizarre public behavior -- fits of screaming and rage according to Haaretz.

So maybe not suicide, just a mentally ill man shouting the wrong thing at the wrong place at the wrong time.

Perhaps the victim had Tourettes syndrome, which is an unfortunate almost tragi-comic illness where the sufferer has outbursts of shouting profanities, having involuntary muscle spasms and other socially inappropriate behavior.

Perhaps the victim had Tourettes syndrome, which is an unfortunate almost tragi-comic illness where the sufferer has outbursts of shouting profanities, having involuntary muscle spasms and other socially inappropriate behavior.

It's possible. In any case, a real tragedy as the victim it turns out was NOT a bomber.