Phuket taxis and beach businesses ‘must be brought into line’

Lite Beer

There has been so much recent talk about this from reasonably influential people that perhaps something will give.

But for followers of Phuket news, what a week it has been: not only high level visits and detrimental comments, but the Russian video, at least two murders and three drownings, the Chinese speedboat death, a couple of motorbike accidents that have made the press, the incident at the lake this morning, the increasing dengue fever problem, illegal elephants, and that's off the top of my head.

Ah but this is all negated as the airport bus is starting in ten days time. Yes, a whole 144 passengers a day can get a cheaper ride to Patong!

Edited by madmitch

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

For once, I agree with you NKM.

When ordinary Thais with businesses realise that the reason the lucrative tourists aren't coming anymore is due to "vested interests", there is a small chance that they may protest. If they don't, then they deserve what they get.

This has started to happen already with hotels protesting about intimidation of their guests and drivers by the taxi mafia.

The assistant Phuket governor's answer? Get the hotels to give these thugs T-shirts identifying these drivers as approved by the hotel.

Nothing will happen in the future until it is far, far too late.

I agree KB.

Phuket will have to hit rock bottom, baically, the gutter, which will trigger a local economic recession, before change will be demanded.

The thing is, all the tourists Phuket has lost, will be very hard to lure back, especially once they have seen the grass is greener on the other side of the fence.

I have stated before, Phuket is similar to the Nokia phone company. How do you have such a large market share, and lose it? It will be a case study for Thai university students one day.

Phuket will be another Costa del Sol, unless change is implemented, immediately.

I have asked this several times before, and have STILL yet to receive any answer, from anyone. "Name one good thing that has been implemented on Phuket, for the benefit of tourists, in recent years?"

It's the same BS here, year in, year out, and we are now starting to see the negative economic impact due to the way "influential people" have managed Phuket and the tourism industry here.

Naw, you have received already many answers but choose to ignore them.

And no, I'm not repeating myself and others, search for yourself. No point though, you'll simply disregard them anyway.

• Like 1

When ordinary Thais with businesses realise that the reason the lucrative tourists aren't coming anymore is due to "vested interests", there is a small chance that they may protest. If they don't, then they deserve what they get.

This has started to happen already with hotels protesting about intimidation of their guests and drivers by the taxi mafia.

The assistant Phuket governor's answer? Get the hotels to give these thugs T-shirts identifying these drivers as approved by the hotel.

I agree KB.

Phuket will have to hit rock bottom, baically, the gutter, which will trigger a local economic recession, before change will be demanded.

The thing is, all the tourists Phuket has lost, will be very hard to lure back, especially once they have seen the grass is greener on the other side of the fence.

I have stated before, Phuket is similar to the Nokia phone company. How do you have such a large market share, and lose it? It will be a case study for Thai university students one day.

Phuket will be another Costa del Sol, unless change is implemented, immediately.

I have asked this several times before, and have STILL yet to receive any answer, from anyone. "Name one good thing that has been implemented on Phuket, for the benefit of tourists, in recent years?"

It's the same BS here, year in, year out, and we are now starting to see the negative economic impact due to the way "influential people" have managed Phuket and the tourism industry here.

Naw, you have received already many answers but choose to ignore them.

And no, I'm not repeating myself and others, search for yourself. No point though, you'll simply disregard them anyway.

Maybe because they were not actually positive things. Eg. an airport bus system that has been designed to fail. :) :)

I agree KB.

Don't kid yourself. As long as the travel agencies in Australia can offer cheap package deals straight into Phuket they will still keep coming and the jet ski and taxi people will milk them dry any way they can. rolleyes.gif

With the son of the Mayor of Phuket being the taxi boss in Phuket, and the police in cohorts with the Jet Ski industry. Who in the hell expects anything to change. coffee1.gif

An example is, Chinese and Russian package holiday tourists taking their coach bus to and from the airport, and all around Phuket for tours/excursions. As well as much less European tourists coming here, and the money is down for the airport transport drivers, taxis and tuk-tuks.

This decrease in income would be starting to be felt, all the way up the ladder. Sure, their immediate answer is, "money go down - put price up" but then you can see it all goes downhill, very quick.

It's happening now.

The tourist numbers maybe up, but the local economy is down, way down.

Edited by NamKangMan
  • Like 2

Well, at least somebody is saying something. I don't recall any official on Phuket speaking out as clearly as this on the subject.

IMO though he is wrong: "“This is a responsibility of local officials. We have to go on site. Each type of business must set up a group, appoint a group leader, set rules and lay down methods to prevent the beach from becoming untidy."

This is exactly why there are problems. Phuket government officials should be responsible, not local officials. And if that does not work, which it clearly has not over the years, the central government should take its responsibility.

Only Bangkok can clean this island up now.

The army would be better.

Of course. That's what I meant. Bangkok would have to order the army onto the island, and then I can see a whole "red shirt - yellow shirt" issue.

It's a mess.

Only Phuket or Thailand?!

I agree KB.

Don't kid yourself. As long as the travel agencies in Australia can offer cheap package deals straight into Phuket they will still keep coming and the jet ski and taxi people will milk them dry any way they can. rolleyes.gif

Bali well and truly back on the map for Australians now, and a package holiday to Bali is a lot more affordable than Phuket.

Phuket may get some Australians from Perth, but many Australians heading back to Bali now.

Edited by NamKangMan
  • Like 1

With the son of the Mayor of Phuket being the taxi boss in Phuket, and the police in cohorts with the Jet Ski industry. Who in the hell expects anything to change. coffee1.gif

An example is, Chinese and Russian package holiday tourists taking their coach bus from the airport, and around Phuket for tours/excursions. As well as much less European tourists coming here, and the money is down for the airport transport drivers.

This decrease in income would be starting to be felt, all the way up the ladder. Sure, their immediate answer is, "money go down - put price up" but then you can see it all goes downhill, very quick.

It's happening now.

Exactly correct. Number up (maybe) but what they are spending is way down. Many Russians and Chinese - bus from airport to hotel (all inclusive) - bus even takes them to beach - not use chairs and buy their refreshments before at the 7-11.

• Like 1

An example is, Chinese and Russian package holiday tourists taking their coach bus from the airport, and around Phuket for tours/excursions. As well as much less European tourists coming here, and the money is down for the airport transport drivers.

It's happening now.

Exactly correct. Number up (maybe) but what they are spending is way down. Many Russians and Chinese - bus from airport to hotel (all inclusive) - bus even takes them to beach - not use chairs and buy their refreshments before at the 7-11.

The tour buses now even stop outside the 7-Eleven. A bit of a surprise because I can't see where the driver gets his commission! But it's now a regular practise and a pain in the butt for someone turning up to put 300 baht on the phone at just the wrong time!

It's happening now.

I have also seen these tour groups in Big C, buying lunch, and most probably dinner, in the form of the instant noodles.

They buy packets and packets of them, so, it's obviously several very cheap meals, over their stay here.

A cafe and/or restaurant will not see a baht out of them. Certainly, the bars and girls will not see a baht out of them.

So, the planes may be flying in from China and Russia, full, but they are not contributing very much to the local economy, like the past demographic of tourists here.

The "influential people" constantly express their desire for "high end" tourists to vist Phuket, "a world class tourist destination."

Bottom line is, Phuket is no longer a world class tourist desination as the "influential people" have devalued Phuket as a "brand." They have also caused Phuket to outprice itself compared to other destinations in Thailand, and in neighbouring countries. Phuket no longer represents a value for money and pleasurable holiday experience, so, why would a "high end" tourist come here?

They need to offer a better product/service, at a comparable price, or risk "The Phuket Financial Crisis of 2013." smile.pngsmile.png

Edited by LivinginKata
  • Like 2

For a couple of years now our customers have Blacked Phuket, & opted to visit Samui as a Southern resort-option

from Hua-Hin. Every one of them has come back with horror-stories from that place, & vowed never to go there again! (these are ex-pats, who as far as being 'streetwise' are a far cry from tourists).

“We have to start now,” V/Gov Jamroen said. “Otherwise, when it comes to high season, it will be difficult to solve the problem.”

Unfortunately, this is where he left the back door open. Well, we tried to solve the problem, but the high season has started early. We will have to try again next year!

Actually.......only the editor of the news source that cannot be mentioned.

he is dead set crazy!

• Like 1

This is classic lip service , the same things have been said for many years now. And of course nothing ever changes. However the golden goose is indeed being killed slowly. This has been said for a few years now, but it is becoming more apparent now. I live in Patong in 1999 for 6 months and loved it. Went back for a visit about 4 years ago, and swore I would never set foot there again. But it will be interesting to see how far Phuket will go down, before something is done for real to correct the many problems there.

The place is a dump

Phuket has a lot of potential.

Unfortunately, the place is being run by, ahhh, shall we say, "influential people" for the benefit of themselves, and not the tourism industry, which the Phuket economy relies heavily upon.

The appropriate response to those is one given by Israel once upon a time: "We don't negotiate with terrorists". Good to see folks responding to this crap by leaving. Foxes guarding the henhouse, supposedly. They are all too shortsighted and myopic to see the facts. No matter how cheap the airfare, people don't like to be cheated and will not return.

• Like 1

This is classic lip service , the same things have been said for many years now. And of course nothing ever changes. However the golden goose is indeed being killed slowly. This has been said for a few years now, but it is becoming more apparent now. I live in Patong in 1999 for 6 months and loved it. Went back for a visit about 4 years ago, and swore I would never set foot there again. But it will be interesting to see how far Phuket will go down, before something is done for real to correct the many problems there.

I used to be a frequent visitor to Phuket but like you the last time I went I said I won't be back....and I haven't been back. Of course there will always be starry eyed farangs who will go thinking that THEY won't get ripped off by the various mafias. Not only the mafia but the regular thai people in Phuket just seem to have lost their "sanuk".....lots and lots of other places in Thailand and other countries to visit that also have beautiful beachs without all the BS...

• Like 1

When has Phuket business' ever cared whether they have repeat customers? The answer is never. It's gouge the customer every chance they get and to hell with repeat business. It all goes back to the live for today, tomorrow will take care of itself mentality.

• Like 1

Well, at least somebody is saying something. I don't recall any official on Phuket speaking out as clearly as this on the subject.

IMO though he is wrong: "“This is a responsibility of local officials. We have to go on site. Each type of business must set up a group, appoint a group leader, set rules and lay down methods to prevent the beach from becoming untidy."

This is exactly why there are problems. Phuket government officials should be responsible, not local officials. And if that does not work, which it clearly has not over the years, the central government should take its responsibility.

Only Bangkok can clean this island up now.

The army would be better.

Khmer or Burmese, if you want the job done properly. sad.png

Drones armed with napalm would work wonders. whistling.gif

When has Phuket business' ever cared whether they have repeat customers? The answer is never. It's gouge the customer every chance they get and to hell with repeat business. It all goes back to the live for today, tomorrow will take care of itself mentality.

They are starting to care now. The local economy is down, way down.

The "repeat business" has been replaced by non-spending Chinese and Russian package holiday tourists, who can't be "gouged" like higher spending European tourists were in the past - so, many places are closing.

• Like 1

They are starting to care now. The local economy is down, way down.

The "repeat business" has been replaced by non-spending Chinese and Russian package holiday tourists, who can't be "gouged" like higher spending European tourists were in the past - so, many places are closing.

Perhaps the tide has turned, although I doubt it. I don't think the locals will ever do anything to remedy the situation as there is too much greed and corruption at all levels. The deputy governor's statement are just more lip service unless the BiB will actually enforce the law. With my knowledge of the Phuket plod, they won't do anything without there being a profit in it for them. The fact that the taxi mafia has a choke hold on transportation on the island is the first issue to tackle. Any group that can blockade business', attack customers, charge exorbitant rants and basically thumb their nose at the law is going to have to be dealt with before any improvement in Phuket's image can be expected. Pigs will fly before that happens.

Two years ago a family friend asked me if it was safe to holiday with his family in Phuket, as he had read some

adverse stories, I replied that these were exaggerated, and that there was really no problem. If asked the same

question today I would have to advise against.