Tyramine in Thai Foods

Searat7

I have been living with a Tyramine intolerance for many years and I know which Western foods to avoid (e.g. Cheese, bananas, green beans etc) but have no idea which Thai foods contain tyramine triggers, I am trying to get more adventurous with Thai foods but yesterday had a noodles and pork dish which definitely had some tyramine because I was up all night.

Does anyone here have any knowledge of specific Thai foods containing tyramine ?

Anything with pork is likely to have it and should be avoided.

Unfortunately soy sauce, shrimp paste and peanuts also have it and these are widely used in Thai cooking, so you are going to have a tough time.

I assume you already know to avoid dishes containing beans and eggplant.

So the above pretty well rules out a large number of thai dishes including many /most curries and pad thai, and som tam.

Frankly unless you are familiar enough with Thai cooking to know what they put into various dishes you will probably find it easier to stick to western foods.

• 7 years later...
On 6/23/2013 at 7:58 AM, Sheryl said:

Anything with pork is likely to have it and should be avoided.

Unfortunately soy sauce, shrimp paste and peanuts also have it and these are widely used in Thai cooking, so you are going to have a tough time.

I assume you already know to avoid dishes containing beans and eggplant.

So the above pretty well rules out a large number of thai dishes including many /most curries and pad thai, and som tam.

Frankly unless you are familiar enough with Thai cooking to know what they put into various dishes you will probably find it easier to stick to western foods.

Pork Itself never contains tyramine. I’m eating maoi medicine and can’t eat tyramine food.  But pork is very much no tyramine at all. Quite cool.  Just so you know. Bacon somehow is not good for tyramine which is strange .  Have a nice day