20 tourists stranded in Canadian Arctic after ice floe breaks away

News_Editor

TORONTO, CANADA (BNO NEWS) -- Twenty tourists visiting the Canadian Arctic remain stranded after a large chunk of ice broke off into the sea on Monday night, officials said Wednesday.

A tour group visiting were located around 40 kilometers north of the Arctic Bay when a chunk of ice measuring roughly five kilometers long broke off sometime between Monday night and Tuesday morning, the Royal Canadian Mounted Police told CTV News.

According to Corporal Yvonne Niego, ten hunters on the floe were able to cross over onto firm land before the ice split, causing twenty tourists to drift away. Reports indicate that among those stranded are two Americans.

Tour operator Arctic Kingdom, which is based in Nunavut, reported the incident, and authorities are likely to reach the affected on Wednesday morning with helicopters for their rescue.

No injuries have been reported, and those stranded are expected to survive. Meanwhile, the Royal Canadian Air Force deployed a plane to deliver survivor kits, as the floe apparently continues to crumble. Rescue teams have also prepared precautionary supplies and rescue kits.

(Copyright 2013 by BNO News B.V. All rights reserved. Info: [email protected].)

Sorry for the above. The software is messing up my postings.

The tourists should sue the tour operators for that. They should never have been taken into harm's way while the company apparently had no means of rescuing them, needing the state to do so. The state should also bill the company for the full cost.

I do know what I'm talking about, having worked in Antarctica.