Thai farmers profits slashed by sudden cut to pledging price

webfact

I think it's wrong to assume ALL politicians are basically dishonest. I know a lot are and that may well be particularly true here but why would anyone who's honest and wants to benefit their country bother when it's already been decided that they are a crook?

Actions speak louder than words, and I've seen very little here to dissuade me from the belief that ALL Politicians are basically dishonest.

I'd be interested if you could point to some Politicians here who you believe ARE honest and are trying to benefit their country, not themselves.

The comment I was answering was Name one honest politician, anywhere in the world so not necessarily here in Thailand.

I don't know any politicians personally here or anywhere else although I have met a few so it's difficult to say but you will never get a group of people who are totally good or bad. It just doesn't happen.

If you just use a blanket judgement like that then it will never get any better because you aren't really making a judgement, you're just avoiding making the effort.

It works just the same the other way as well. There's been a lot of talk lately about a particular monk who seems to be having life a bit easy. One of the reasons this happens is because people tend to judge monks by what they are and assume they are always good and right rather than by what they do. This applies to other religions and also to people who have power and influence.

It can happen with a monarchy as well and does in Thailand where people respect the king just because he is the king regardless of what he has done or hasn't done. Thais are very lucky that the king hasn't abused that privilege because even if he did they would take no notice. It also means they seem to miss that he is king through no other reason than birth and circumstance and don't seem to look at what he has actually done despite not really needing to or being prepared for that responsibility. What they have is a man who has done what he thought was good for the country and should be respected for that not his position.

As an example of honest parliamentarians in my own country take a look at this link.

http://www.getsurrey.co.uk/news/s/2050990_reading_mps_in_the_clear_over_expenses_claim_scandal?page=2&page_size=25

I remember people at the time saying all politicians were just as bad as one another which is why they get bad ones.

Well, as this is a "Thailand" Forum, I was restricting my thoughts to those Politicians here, of which I doubt there are many that are honest, self-sacrificing, or honorable.

As for passing judgement generally, I say it how I see it. Feel free to disagree.

EDIT: I forgot to address your remarks about "respect" . . . a lot of that was lost in 2007 (I think it was) when a certain article was posted in Forbes Magazine. Things have changed a LOT here since then if you hadn't noticed it.

Edited by Tatsujin

I think it's wrong to assume ALL politicians are basically dishonest. I know a lot are and that may well be particularly true here but why would anyone who's honest and wants to benefit their country bother when it's already been decided that they are a crook?

Actions speak louder than words, and I've seen very little here to dissuade me from the belief that ALL Politicians are basically dishonest.

I'd be interested if you could point to some Politicians here who you believe ARE honest and are trying to benefit their country, not themselves.

The comment I was answering was Name one honest politician, anywhere in the world so not necessarily here in Thailand.

I don't know any politicians personally here or anywhere else although I have met a few so it's difficult to say but you will never get a group of people who are totally good or bad. It just doesn't happen.

If you just use a blanket judgement like that then it will never get any better because you aren't really making a judgement, you're just avoiding making the effort.

It works just the same the other way as well. There's been a lot of talk lately about a particular monk who seems to be having life a bit easy. One of the reasons this happens is because people tend to judge monks by what they are and assume they are always good and right rather than by what they do. This applies to other religions and also to people who have power and influence.

It can happen with a monarchy as well and does in Thailand where people respect the king just because he is the king regardless of what he has done or hasn't done. Thais are very lucky that the king hasn't abused that privilege because even if he did they would take no notice. It also means they seem to miss that he is king through no other reason than birth and circumstance and don't seem to look at what he has actually done despite not really needing to or being prepared for that responsibility. What they have is a man who has done what he thought was good for the country and should be respected for that not his position.

As an example of honest parliamentarians in my own country take a look at this link.

http://www.getsurrey.co.uk/news/s/2050990_reading_mps_in_the_clear_over_expenses_claim_scandal?page=2&page_size=25

I remember people at the time saying all politicians were just as bad as one another which is why they get bad ones.

You have'nt read the rules, have you?.

Yes I have although I haven't read them all recently. Which part of my post do you think may be a problem?

I don't think there's a reason no to link to 'Get Surrey' and my reference to the monarchy isn't, as far as I can see, critical, making assumptions about the views of the monarchy and isn't directly linked to the political nature of the OP.

In cases like these I try to remember to make a copy of my post so I can check back and repost an edited version if necessary.

Well, as this is a "Thailand" Forum, I was restricting my thoughts to those Politicians here, of which I doubt there are many that are honest, self-sacrificing, or honorable.

As for passing judgement generally, I say it how I see it. Feel free to disagree.

EDIT: I forgot to address your remarks about "respect" . . . a lot of that was lost in 2007 (I think it was) when a certain article was posted in Forbes Magazine. Things have changed a LOT here since then if you hadn't noticed it.

As you say you doubt there are many and I'd be inclined to agree with you. I think there are always good people anywhere but if the organisation is generally corrupt it's difficult and dangerous to be otherwise. There was that prison guard who was shot because he was against all the corruption in the prison.

I suspect there will have been workers at the mills who knew what was going on but would have been in danger if they spoke out.

I never saw the Forbes article so I can't really comment on that. I only started coming here in 2009.

What was the rice price before this catastrophe unfolded? I thought the 15K was an over market figure.

Between 7 and 8000 per ton of normal and 14 to 15000 for Hom Mali. Last I read.

What was the rice price before this catastrophe unfolded? I thought the 15K was an over market figure.

Between 7 and 8000 per ton of normal and 14 to 15000 for Hom Mali. Last I read.

And it is the hom Mali that they can sell easily. It's the generic white rice that they have in reality way overpaid for.

Ok I am obviously not good in Maths so can someone please explain to me how

Bt12,000 a tonne - will result in each farmer making a profit of only Bt360 a tonne if it takes effect on Sunday, as scheduled. That is a huge drop from the Bt3,360 profit they gained at the original price rate of Bt15,000 a tonne, according to BioThai Foundation's Withoon Luenjamroon.
How does the difference of 3,000 Bt per ton equal a minus of 3,000 Bt in profit..........?

If selling is 15,000 Bt = 3,360 Bt Profit.............

if selling price drops down to 12,000 Bt = 360 Bt profit ...??
Are there typo errors here or is my math as I said totally out of wack...?? What did I read wrongly in the OP's post...?

So the reality is, the farmers who this scheme is supposed to benefit aren't the ones making the profit, it's the millers/middlemen (as always) that cream off the cash.

So what was the point? The rich get richer . . . simple as that. Bunch of lying, thieving, a55holes this Govt is.

Not harsh enough bro! thumbsup.gif

Name one honest politician, anywhere in the world

Well I don't approve of corruption but some times that is what has to happen in order to get some thing done. I am very sure there are politicians who although not corrupt look the other way.O have no names but with so many in the business I am sure there are some.

When I speak of being honest I am not meaning perfectly honest. The only man I know that people claimed that for got crucified.

Bt12,000 a tonne - will result in each farmer making a profit of only Bt360 a tonne if it takes effect on Sunday, as scheduled. That is a huge drop from the Bt3,360 profit they gained at the original price rate of Bt15,000 a tonne, according to BioThai Foundation's Withoon Luenjamroon.

How does the difference of 3,000 Bt per ton equal a minus of 3,000 Bt in profit..........?

Are there typo errors here or is my math as I said totally out of wack...?? What did I read wrongly in the OP's post...?

Nothing wrong with your math. I am wondering how many tonne's are produced on one Rai of land. With that low a profit margin it would take a small grower a lot of tonnes to survive the whole year.

Nothing wrong with your math. I am wondering how many tonne's are produced on one Rai of land. With that low a profit margin it would take a small grower a lot of tonnes to survive the whole year.

Someone threw up between 500 and 700 kg per rai.

Of course that number is derived from very general estimates. They can't even count the rice once it reaches the warehouse on trucks.

What odds they can interview every farmer nationwide about him many rai he grows?

Then what odds he lies?

annabel, on 27 Jun 2013 - 22:51, said:snapback.png

The product sells for 15,000 suddenly it sells for 12,000 drop in sale price 3,000.

Production costs stay the same.

Profit on sale price of 15,000 = 3,600.

Drop in sale price = drop in profit 3,000

New profit 360

• Like 1