My money keeps disappearing.

NoshowJones

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

this article might be worth reading : http://androidadvices.com/improve-battery-life-samsung-galaxy/

It's more about extending the battery life, but as well as switching of the mobile data/packet conectivity

it also suggests switching off background data. You could also switch off the Auto Synch facility.

If you do a google search on "Samsung GT-S5360 user manual" you will find an English copy of the manual on-line.

Edited by jackflash

I unchecked "use packet data" and it just keeps coming on again, do you know how I can stop this? and if any e-mail attachments come I will not open them.

You should probably read the user's manual.

Many have already advised as to how to disable mobile data, it should stay disabled until you reboot your phone.

Again, and for the last time: Settings, Wireless & networks, More, Mobile networks, Data enabled (un-check).

I just make sure I have that at least in my phone when the money is due every month

Most service providers will prompt you a few days before any recurring plans, so that you can insure you have enough money to cover these upcoming charges.

post-9615-0-01218400-1372416400_thumb.jp

it looks like there is an application running in the background that consumes a lot of data. Just switch off the cellular data.

This is my first smartphone, can you tell me how to switch off the cellular data?

Try doing this...

1. Press the rectangle button below your screen. This is the "Home" button. When pressed it will bring

up the lock screen.

2. Swipe your finger on the Lock Screen to bring up the Applications Screen, you will see a lotta

Samsung apps on the first page.

3. Look for an icon shaped like a gear named Settings. Press that quickly one time and another

screen will open.

4. On the screen that has just opened look for a line of text that says Data Usage and quick press on that.

5. This will open another page and on that you will see some tabs; Mobile & Wi-Fi. Quick press the Mobile

tab and look for a line of text just below the Mobile tab that says Mobile data. Next to that line of text is a

bar of sorts, ensure that it is off by noting the bar's colour Grey = Off...Green=ON. If the bar is green,

you'll lnow because it's very bright...then press it once (quick press) and it will go grey which is off.

You have just turned Data off. You can turn it back on if needed at any time by pressing the same

"button" you pressed to turn it off.

6. On the lower right corner of your phone there should be an arrow that's bent left in a U-Turn shape...

press that and go back to the "Settings" menu.

7. In the Settings menu scroll until you see a line of text that says "Location services"...quick press

that line of text.

8. You will now be in the Location services menu. Look for a line of text that says GPS satellites.

Next to that line there will be check box...make sure the box is blank (unckecked). You may also

want to ensure the other boxes are unchecked too because for simple phone usage you don't

need em.

9. If at any time your screen goes black while looking through the menu's just press that rectangle

button on the lower centre of your LCD screen (Phone Body not screen) and swipe the lock screen

when it appears. You will be right back at the last screen you were at when the screen went black.

10. If you have any other problems with your Samsung Galaxy PM me and I'll do my best to

walk you through it.

NB...I had the same problem some years ago when I had my first smart phone...an old DoPod

(now HTC) jobber that was kinda neat...but cost me sone Baht until I blocked some data holes.

Hope this helps you.

• Like 1

It seems that you don't have an Internet flatrate so your mobile phone is connecting to the internet and using your credit.

I agree. Happened to me with my first smartphone. Left the internet & wi-fi connected 24/7t, and the money just keeps flying out of the phone. My last cell phone had a rotary dial and I did not have this problem.

It seems that you don't have an Internet flatrate so your mobile phone is connecting to the internet and using your credit.

I had the same problem when I buy my new phone the salesperson dit not closed the internet connection

I'm embarrassed to say I had the same problem when I bought my first so called smartphone.

I must have wasted about 2000 baht before I plugged the drain.

It's not like you're born knowing this stuff!

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/508904-net-access-with-samsung-galaxy-mini-android-smartphone/?p=5102371

How right you are Jingthing, I just don't understand why Samsung don't warn you or tell you how to avoid these thing in their instruction manuel.

It's not ONLY Samsung, many "smart phones" do the same, but for those who don't know, it becomes a right expensive pain in the arse.

Android phones (smart phones in general) are by default set to be constantly online. They constantly check your e-mails etc. Indicated by a G, E, 3G or H symbol next to the signal strength indicator on top of the screen.

Two choices:

1) shut data off to stop getting charged for internet. Go to settings, wireless and networks, mobile networks and then uncheck "use packet data".

A quicker way which works on most Samsung phones is to long press the power button, and then tap on "data network mode". This should toggle data on and off.

Kind of defeats the purpose of a smartphone for me, but you can obviously still use wifi wherever available.

2) get a data package. All providers have 24/7 packages where the internet can be connected 24/7 and you are allowed to use a certain amount of data. 100 MB/month just for checking emails and 1 GB/month if occasionally browsing websites. Cost only a few hundred/month depending on provider...

Thanks, can you recommend a provider, apart from AIS whom I don't trust?

AIS has one of the best coverage's, my ONLY gripe is that to get a data plan, I live in Mukdahan, I have to pay for 3g, the problem is, there is NO 3G available (pls people, I'm talking about AIS), so the fallback is Edge, so pay for 3G but get Edge, oh, there is NO Edge plan. Bastards.

I'm embarrassed to say I had the same problem when I bought my first so called smartphone.

I must have wasted about 2000 baht before I plugged the drain.

It's not like you're born knowing this stuff!

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/508904-net-access-with-samsung-galaxy-mini-android-smartphone/?p=5102371

How right you are Jingthing, I just don't understand why Samsung don't warn you or tell you how to avoid these thing in their instruction manuel.

It's not ONLY Samsung, many "smart phones" do the same, but for those who don't know, it becomes a right expensive pain in the arse.

How right you are Rorri.

Android phones (smart phones in general) are by default set to be constantly online. They constantly check your e-mails etc. Indicated by a G, E, 3G or H symbol next to the signal strength indicator on top of the screen.

Two choices:

1) shut data off to stop getting charged for internet. Go to settings, wireless and networks, mobile networks and then uncheck "use packet data".

A quicker way which works on most Samsung phones is to long press the power button, and then tap on "data network mode". This should toggle data on and off.

Kind of defeats the purpose of a smartphone for me, but you can obviously still use wifi wherever available.

2) get a data package. All providers have 24/7 packages where the internet can be connected 24/7 and you are allowed to use a certain amount of data. 100 MB/month just for checking emails and 1 GB/month if occasionally browsing websites. Cost only a few hundred/month depending on provider...

Thanks, can you recommend a provider, apart from AIS whom I don't trust?

AIS has one of the best coverage's, my ONLY gripe is that to get a data plan, I live in Mukdahan, I have to pay for 3g, the problem is, there is NO 3G available (pls people, I'm talking about AIS), so the fallback is Edge, so pay for 3G but get Edge, oh, there is NO Edge plan. Bastards.

TiT

GPS in and of itself does not use mobile data. Many applications - navigation, localized weather - which may use GPS functionality may also require a data connection. GPS settings are found in Settings, Personal/Location access...then switch Access to my location to "OFF", or un-check both GPS satellites and Wi-Fi & mobile network location.

Un-checking "Data enabled" will prevent a loss of money. However, if you re-start your phone it may default back to enabling mobile data.This varies by model. There should be some indication in the top-most status bar of your phone re: mobile data...you may see a "G", or an "E", which indicates GPRS or EDGE, which are types of lower-speed GSM (2G) mobile data.

Your best option may be simply a time-based 2G from One-2-Call (EDGE+)? You can get 20 hours for 100 baht over one month. The code *138*33#. Make sure you monitor your time used.

I'd recommend learning your way around the menus before relying on third-party apps. to control the features and functions of your phone.

You may also wish to disable automatic updating of applications, or at least limit any automatic updating to "WiFi-only". In the Play Store, choose settings, Auto-update apps and choose "Do not auto-update apps", or "Auto-update apps over WiFi only".

Referring to your last paragraph, you will confuse poor possum, you have told him to turn Wi-Fi OFF. Leave Wi-Fi on so you can connect to local modems, eg, you home internet Wi-Fi, Wi-Fi is NOT the same as wireless broadband that you subscribe to via an ISP.

GPS in and of itself does not use mobile data. Many applications - navigation, localized weather - which may use GPS functionality may also require a data connection. GPS settings are found in Settings, Personal/Location access...then switch Access to my location to "OFF", or un-check both GPS satellites and Wi-Fi & mobile network location.

Un-checking "Data enabled" will prevent a loss of money. However, if you re-start your phone it may default back to enabling mobile data.This varies by model. There should be some indication in the top-most status bar of your phone re: mobile data...you may see a "G", or an "E", which indicates GPRS or EDGE, which are types of lower-speed GSM (2G) mobile data.

Your best option may be simply a time-based 2G from One-2-Call (EDGE+)? You can get 20 hours for 100 baht over one month. The code *138*33#. Make sure you monitor your time used.

I'd recommend learning your way around the menus before relying on third-party apps. to control the features and functions of your phone.

You may also wish to disable automatic updating of applications, or at least limit any automatic updating to "WiFi-only". In the Play Store, choose settings, Auto-update apps and choose "Do not auto-update apps", or "Auto-update apps over WiFi only".

Is one-2-call connected with AIS in any way? They gave me so much hassle with my laptop. I like the idea of 100 baht for 20 hrs, that's what I had with AIS.

one-2-call and AIS same same... not different 555

I don't wish to take advantage of all the helpful posters who have come on to this thread, but can I ask, how do I make sure when I go for a top up, that my internet is topped up and not my phone, or vice versa?

It is deducted from the same account....if there isn't enough funds for internet you will receive an sms, actually you will receive many sms's, last time I received 87 in 2 hours, pissed me right off.

I don't wish to take advantage of all the helpful posters who have come on to this thread, but can I ask, how do I make sure when I go for a top up, that my internet is topped up and not my phone, or vice versa?

It is deducted from the same account....if there isn't enough funds for internet you will receive an sms, actually you will receive many sms's, last time I received 87 in 2 hours, pissed me right off.

It would piss me off as well.

"You may also wish to disable automatic updating of applications, or at least limit any automatic updating to "WiFi-only". In the Play Store, choose settings, Auto-update apps and choose "Do not auto-update apps", or "Auto-update apps over WiFi only".

Referring to your last paragraph, you will confuse poor possum, you have told him to turn Wi-Fi OFF. Leave Wi-Fi on so you can connect to local modems, eg, you home internet Wi-Fi, Wi-Fi is NOT the same as wireless broadband that you subscribe to via an ISP.

Not exactly, I was recommending modifying the Google Play Store Settings so that any updates of applications were not enabled both automatically and/or over a mobile data network. Personally, I would recommend "Do not auto-update apps." I was not recommending turning WiFi off in the Android system settings.

post-9615-0-22453200-1372492084_thumb.jp

You shouldn't leave Wi-Fi on, unless you want to connect. Your Battery won't last as long. Same thing with GPS. Smart phones use a lot more battery when these two devices are enabled!

Thanks Rorri, I get that