Farang husbands no longer covered under the civil servants' medical scheme?

Saan

My wife, who is employed by the Chiang Mai Government, tells me she was informed by her boss that as of July1 I was no longer covered under their medical scheme. Has anyone else heard of this change of policy?

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is the first I have heard of it and it hardly sounds legal/fair to discriminate against specific spouses on the basis of nationality. Unless they are going to stop covering all spouses, which would be a huge change and which I also haven't heard.

Suggest you call the SS office and get the info straight from the source. http://www.sso.go.th/wpr/eng/contactus.html

• Like 1

My step-daughter, training to be a teacher, reckons I am eligible for free Health Care IF I legally adopt her. Can this be true? If so I might re-coup the years of College fees so far laid out.

You would be waiting for another few years going down the adoption route..

I know that you can no longer get on the 30 baht plan . I tried last month and they said it was closed to foreigners married to Thai s . If you are currently on it I doubt you will be dropped though ...

When the social security health care program started I had already reached the age of 60 and could not be covered. Like many I have paid high personal income tax for many years in order to maintain my work permit.

As noted previously there is a move to cause tourist to buy health insurance or proof there of in order to enter Thailand. Truly there is a push toward discouraging tourism and farangs to retire here. Obviously the tourism health insurance will never get to first base one reason might be that the immigration entry officer could not read the policies from every country in the world.

When the social security health care program started I had already reached the age of 60 and could not be covered. Like many I have paid high personal income tax for many years in order to maintain my work permit.

As noted previously there is a move to cause tourist to buy health insurance or proof there of in order to enter Thailand. Truly there is a push toward discouraging tourism and farangs to retire here. Obviously the tourism health insurance will never get to first base one reason might be that the immigration entry officer could not read the policies from every country in the world.

"truly there is a push toward discouraging tourism and farangs to retire here" With respect, please elaborate, I'd like to know how you got this info. If true it would seem like someone cutting off their nose to spite their face. Think of the revenue loss for the Thai economy for one.

There seems to be some new anti foreigner rules in the healthcare system. I asked to have my healthcare card transferred from Chiangmai to Hua Hin. They told me that they no longer transfer foreigners cards because the healthcare system is for Thais. I am a retired permanent resident and have paid a lot of income tax when I worked in Thailand. I am entitled to the card and I am far to old to be able to get health insurance.

If the card you refer to is the "gold card" for the Universal Coverage Scheme, you are not and have never been legally entitled to it. It is indeed limited to Thai citizens.

What seems to have happened is that some hospitals mistakenly issued cards to some farang, usually on the basis of being in a tabien baan. Even now there are still some farangs using cards issued that way. It gets caught out if/when they need to be referred to a higher level of care and may also be caught out if as in your case you try to transfer the card to another location.

It will not be long before a circular goes out warning hospitals that they are not to issue these cards to foreigners, even permanent residents.

If on the other hand what you refer to is a SS card that you obtained while legally employed and for which you pay a monthly contribution, that you are entitled to and should be able to transfer. Suggest you call the SS office and discuss. I am not aware of anything in the SS regs that disqualify foreigners and indeed, foreigners on work permits are required to make the payroll contribution into the system.

My step-daughter, training to be a teacher, reckons I am eligible for free Health Care IF I legally adopt her. Can this be true? If so I might re-coup the years of College fees so far laid out.

Not true. Married to a Thai, parent of a Thai citizen, makes no difference. Only Thai citizenship renders you eligible under the universal health care (AKA 30 baht or "gold card") system.

You can get eligibility through SS (a different system) but that requires a monthly payment and you have to be legally employed for 13 months first and then keep up the payments forever more.

• Like 1

There seems to be some new anti foreigner rules in the healthcare system. I asked to have my healthcare card transferred from Chiangmai to Hua Hin. They told me that they no longer transfer foreigners cards because the healthcare system is for Thais. I am a retired permanent resident and have paid a lot of income tax when I worked in Thailand. I am entitled to the card and I am far to old to be able to get health insurance.

If the card you refer to is the "gold card" for the Universal Coverage Scheme, you are not and have never been legally entitled to it. It is indeed limited to Thai citizens.

What seems to have happened is that some hospitals mistakenly issued cards to some farang, usually on the basis of being in a tabien baan. Even now there are still some farangs using cards issued that way. It gets caught out if/when they need to be referred to a higher level of care and may also be caught out if as in your case you try to transfer the card to another location.

It will not be long before a circular goes out warning hospitals that they are not to issue these cards to foreigners, even permanent residents.

If on the other hand what you refer to is a SS card that you obtained while legally employed and for which you pay a monthly contribution, that you are entitled to and should be able to transfer. Suggest you call the SS office and discuss. I am not aware of anything in the SS regs that disqualify foreigners and indeed, foreigners on work permits are required to make the payroll contribution into the system.

None of the above. Parents, offsprings and spouses have been covered under the Civil Service Health Scheme. My wife was told that as of today her non Thai husband was no longer covered.

I wonder if other government employee wives have been told this or is my wife's boss just playing games with her.

Anybody seen the standard of care you get under the 30 Baht scheme? I have a cheapo cheap health insurance for 10000 Baht a year and so have access to the local clinic as they recommended it. Naturally this is won't get me very far but I feel a lot better since I did this.

Believe me, you really don't want to find yourself in public ward in a public

hospital even if it is only 30 Baht

• Like 1

Yes, the spouse, children and parents of a civil servant are covered under the health care scheme for civil servants.

But she has to become a civil servant first.

Yes, the spouse, children and parents of a civil servant are covered under the health care scheme for civil servants.

And be hired by a government school as a civil servant (as opposed to contract hire, or working at a private school).

But wouldn't he have to legally adopt her while she's still a minor? I don't think you can adopt an adult?

Anybody seen the standard of care you get under the 30 Baht scheme? I have a cheapo cheap health insurance for 10000 Baht a year and so have access to the local clinic as they recommended it. Naturally this is won't get me very far but I feel a lot better since I did this.

Believe me, you really don't want to find yourself in public ward in a public

hospital even if it is only 30 Baht

You can opt for a hong piset and pay that extra charge yourself. Pretty reasonable.

But as mentioned foreigners are NOT eligible for the 30 baht scheme.

And be hired by a government school as a civil servant (as opposed to contract hire, or working at a private school).

But wouldn't he have to legally adopt her while she's still a minor? I don't think you can adopt an adult?

Under Thai law you can adopt an adult.

My wife is a school teacher. I don't have whatever card people are talking about, but she gets a refund of every baht I pay to a government hospital.

You don't get a card. But you can register yourself at government hospitals. When you do that, takes about 1 month, you or your wife no longer have to pay first at that hospital and get the money back later. The hopsital will than get the money directly from the government.

I am registered in that way at 3 hospitals, including outside my province.

Not true. Married to a Thai, parent of a Thai citizen, makes no difference. Only Thai citizenship renders you eligible under the universal health care (AKA 30 baht or "gold card") system.

You can get eligibility through SS (a different system) but that requires a monthly payment and you have to be legally employed for 13 months first and then keep up the payments forever more.

And don't forget to arrange to keep paying the contribution yourself after you retire. You can arrange for direct debit from your bank account.

"truly there is a push toward discouraging tourism and farangs to retire here" With respect, please elaborate, I'd like to know how you got this info. If true it would seem like someone cutting off their nose to spite their face. Think of the revenue loss for the Thai economy for one.

Yes I agree with you, this is drawing the bow a little too far. However, I do see the reasoning behind the Thai requirement for health insurance. I read they have formed a 'committee' to investigate the possibility of such a requirement - so we can all rest comfortably there!!!!!

But medical costs are an issue all over the world, the fact that the thais are wanting to protect their own is not offensive to me, indeed, a shame we do not adopt the same attitude in the western world.

In Australia it is a free for all for the foreigners flooding into the country and using an already unworkable system there.

Yes, you can adopt as an adult. My step-daughter wanted to use my sirname (because she was pissed off with members of the family).

To do so, I had to give my consent, which I did. It was only a couple of years later that my wife told me that the paper I had signed was for adoption!!!

Yes, you can adopt as an adult. My step-daughter wanted to use my sirname (because she was pissed off with members of the family).

To do so, I had to give my consent, which I did. It was only a couple of years later that my wife told me that the paper I had signed was for adoption!!!

I forgot to add that she was 28 y/o at the time.

Uhhhhhhh....who on earth would sign a paper that they didn't know what it is they were signing???

My wife is a schoolteacher and i have free hospital treatment and free dentistry, I have an appointment tommorow to collect my 'free' prescription. My wife has said nothing about this being discontinued and I am sure that she would have heard something.