Farang husbands no longer covered under the civil servants' medical scheme?

Saan

My step-daughter, training to be a teacher, reckons I am eligible for free Health Care IF I legally adopt her. Can this be true? If so I might re-coup the years of College fees so far laid out.

WRONG! I adopted my wife's son, who was 23 at the time. Roughly 2 years later he became a Government Teacher. When he went to Government Office in CNX to get fill out the papers and get the health care cards for his mother and me, he was told that I am farang, so I am not eligible. When he asked why, he was given some b.s. story about how Thai men never adopt the children of other Thai men, and that only farang do that, and farang don't need free insurance from Thailand because they are all rich and can afford to buy their own. Fortunately, for me, I had purchased health, hospital and accident insurance when I first came here, so I'm covered, but my son is not the least bit happy about the blatant "racism" attitude. So, it would not surprise me in the least if they have extended that to farang husbands as well.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My step-daughter, training to be a teacher, reckons I am eligible for free Health Care IF I legally adopt her. Can this be true? If so I might re-coup the years of College fees so far laid out.

You would be waiting for another few years going down the adoption route..

Not necessarily if she's over 18. Me, wife, son went to local Amphur Office in Doi Saket. Took less than an hour from the time we walked in till the time we walked out to do a legal adoption of him, and him having a new ID card made with his name legally changed to mine.

There seems to be some new anti foreigner rules in the healthcare system. I asked to have my healthcare card transferred from Chiangmai to Hua Hin. They told me that they no longer transfer foreigners cards because the healthcare system is for Thais. I am a retired permanent resident and have paid a lot of income tax when I worked in Thailand. I am entitled to the card and I am far to old to be able to get health insurance.

If the card you refer to is the "gold card" for the Universal Coverage Scheme, you are not and have never been legally entitled to it. It is indeed limited to Thai citizens.

What seems to have happened is that some hospitals mistakenly issued cards to some farang, usually on the basis of being in a tabien baan. Even now there are still some farangs using cards issued that way. It gets caught out if/when they need to be referred to a higher level of care and may also be caught out if as in your case you try to transfer the card to another location.

It will not be long before a circular goes out warning hospitals that they are not to issue these cards to foreigners, even permanent residents.

If on the other hand what you refer to is a SS card that you obtained while legally employed and for which you pay a monthly contribution, that you are entitled to and should be able to transfer. Suggest you call the SS office and discuss. I am not aware of anything in the SS regs that disqualify foreigners and indeed, foreigners on work permits are required to make the payroll contribution into the system.

It is not a so called gold card but the 30 Baht card which I have had for over thirty years. Two government Hospitals in the Hua Hin area have confirmed my entitlement and even phoned the relative department who again confirmed it. I have my Thai Alien registration book and my OWN Blue tambien baan.

When I did not receive my card the hospital phoned again and was told that new regulations no longer allow foreigners to transfer thier health cards. I think it is possible that the person who answered the hospital was just being anti foreigner. Or that he did not know the difference between Permanent Residence and other residents (retirees) I had the same problem withe amphur when I moved saying that a blue tambein baan is only for Thais. But I got it in the end. The problem is that now there are so few permanent residents that most officials have no idea what it means.

Yes, the spouse, children and parents of a civil servant are covered under the health care scheme for civil servants.

But she has to become a civil servant first.

And be hired by a government school as a civil servant (as opposed to contract hire, or working at a private school).

But wouldn't he have to legally adopt her while she's still a minor? I don't think you can adopt an adult?

Under Thai law you can adopt an adult.

cos there all childlike anyway hahahahahha only joking,,,,,,,sorry,,cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

WRONG! I adopted my wife's son, who was 23 at the time. Roughly 2 years later he became a Government Teacher. When he went to Government Office in CNX to get fill out the papers and get the health care cards for his mother and me, he was told that I am farang, so I am not eligible. When he asked why, he was given some b.s. story about how Thai men never adopt the children of other Thai men, and that only farang do that, and farang don't need free insurance from Thailand because they are all rich and can afford to buy their own. Fortunately, for me, I had purchased health, hospital and accident insurance when I first came here, so I'm covered, but my son is not the least bit happy about the blatant "racism" attitude. So, it would not surprise me in the least if they have extended that to farang husbands as well.

I'm always surprised how many racist tin pot dictators one can find in government employment.

I'm even more surprised, that anyone believes what they say, then fails to fill in the forms and wait for a written refusal.

Most racists are unwilling to commit their views in writing.

I'm always surprised how many racist tin pot dictators one can find in government employment.

I'm even more surprised, that anyone believes what they say, then fails to fill in the forms and wait for a written refusal.

My wife went with our son the day he went to Gvt Office here in CM. They got the forms, sat down and filled them out, handed them over, along with a color copy of my passport, marriage license, adoption papers and retirement visa, and THEN were informed that "adoptive farang fathers" were not covered.

My wife went with our son the day he went to Gvt Office here in CM. They got the forms, sat down and filled them out, handed them over, along with a color copy of my passport, marriage license, adoption papers and retirement visa, and THEN were informed that "adoptive farang fathers" were not covered.

And the official then stamped 'refused' on the forms with the reason for refusal, his name signature and ID number ....... NOT!

AnotherOneAmerican......

You definitely have a cynical outlook and attitude on things. I hate to break it to you, but in LOS things are NOT necessarily done the way they are/should be, back in the good ol' U.S. of A., i.e., putting it in writing and signing it. This particular issue was brought up again at a later date by both wife and son, with a person of "higher authority" and were told the same thing. I'm sorry if that offends you "American moralistic sensibilities", but you ain't in Kansas anymore, Toto. And, FYI, yes, I am American, and served for 20 years in USMC, with 18 of that in Recon/Force Recon. TIT - deal with it.

My wife is a school teacher. I don't have whatever card people are talking about, but she gets a refund of every baht I pay to a government hospital.

You don't get a card. But you can register yourself at government hospitals. When you do that, takes about 1 month, you or your wife no longer have to pay first at that hospital and get the money back later. The hopsital will than get the money directly from the government.

I am registered in that way at 3 hospitals, including outside my province.

But the question is, is this about to change. Are farang husbands no longer covered on their wives government servants' health scheme?

This is the first I have heard of it and it hardly sounds legal/fair to discriminate against specific spouses on the basis of nationality. Unless they are going to stop covering all spouses, which would be a huge change and which I also haven't heard.

Suggest you call the SS office and get the info straight from the source. http://www.sso.go.th/wpr/eng/contactus.html

discrimination is in the eye of the beholder! thai's can do anything they want.

The fact that after you are 60 years old you can not buy a ligitimate health insurance policy any where. I have a residence permit and as an in patient in the local government hospital everything was free including post op care. I had soft lens implants in both eyes with cataracts removed. The operating room was world class technology and the doctor is the best eye doctor I have met in Thailand. Further I have glaucoma and macular degeneration because of age. The schedule me to return to the eye clinic over 3 months to check the condition of my eyes. I pay 50 Baht for the doctors examination. Mind you there is always a big queue but I get there at 07:00. I f you are poliet and kind as a local rsident I don't thin you will ever be turned away. A friend just had a herna repaired at the government hospital with a private room for 2 days and they charged him 18,000 Baht. He does have his yellow book.

My private inusrance increased dramatically every 5 years. When I reached 75 they wanted 500 Baht per day to continue it. It is obvious that the insurance companies do not want to insure peope when they reach my age. The risk for the company is too high.

The new Obama Care does not cover people living overseas and they will not take the premium out of your social security check.

Many people tell me that they have government insurance in the British Islands and when they get sick they will go back there for treatment. Good luck if you can walk and have some one to take care of you there with room, board and transportation.

Health insurance in Thailand is a serious matter for us and you need to make arrangements one way or the other to get covered. If you ar over 60 you can forget buying a policy.

This is the first I have heard of it and it hardly sounds legal/fair to discriminate against specific spouses on the basis of nationality. Unless they are going to stop covering all spouses, which would be a huge change and which I also haven't heard.

Suggest you call the SS office and get the info straight from the source. http://www.sso.go.th/wpr/eng/contactus.html

I have learned that using the word "fair" in describing anything for foreigners in Thailand doesn't seem to fit.

And the Thais discriminate where they wish and don't feel they need to explain their actions.

But, I confess, the only place that doesn't apply is in the Ministry of Labor. That's an exception.

My wife is a school teacher. I don't have whatever card people are talking about, but she gets a refund of every baht I pay to a government hospital.

You don't get a card. But you can register yourself at government hospitals. When you do that, takes about 1 month, you or your wife no longer have to pay first at that hospital and get the money back later. The hopsital will than get the money directly from the government.

I am registered in that way at 3 hospitals, including outside my province.

My experience is the same as Mario's. I have a health service number, that matches my 'yellow book" house-papers. This is registered at my local hospital in Phrao, CM. It is an excellent little hospital; and I have had 1st class care. I have to check every 3 months for high blood pressure and lipid profile. I get free care and medicine. If I am referred to a 'higher ' hospital, it would be NakornPing hospital in CM. I am assured that as I am registered, I am covered for any medical requirements.. As others have said, at the age of 75 it would be impossible to get any insurance. The only thing I can think of is that if the Govt. really stick to this one, they will have to bring in a govt. insurance scheme - no private company would touch it. I have lived here now 13 years and have had no bad experiences with medical attention.

Sounds to me like an ill informed official, not the official policy.

• Like 1

Anybody seen the standard of care you get under the 30 Baht scheme? I have a cheapo cheap health insurance for 10000 Baht a year and so have access to the local clinic as they recommended it. Naturally this is won't get me very far but I feel a lot better since I did this.

Believe me, you really don't want to find yourself in public ward in a public

hospital even if it is only 30 Baht

I have been issued a 30bht card and had to use it at a local hospital after quite a serious foot injury.

The care and treatment I received as an outpatient was very good.

Sent from my GT-I9003 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Anybody seen the standard of care you get under the 30 Baht scheme? I have a cheapo cheap health insurance for 10000 Baht a year and so have access to the local clinic as they recommended it. Naturally this is won't get me very far but I feel a lot better since I did this.

Could you elaborate and give me details of a Health Insurance Company as i am completely confused on the matter, thank you.

Could you elaborate and give me details of a Health Insurance Company as i am completely confused on the matter, thank you.

For that price probably basically an accident insurance, which certainly can be handy to have.

More about health insurance options in the insurance forum: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/forum/121-insurance-in-thailand/

Not yet but I'll get my wife to ask some questions. I always pay for cheap private as I resented foreigners milking the NHS (in England) dry without paying anything.

Not putting you in the same category but a few hundred baht isn't going to break the bank.

Only for some one who does not have a few hudred baht,

The fact that after you are 60 years old you can not buy a ligitimate health insurance policy any where. I have a residence permit and as an in patient in the local government hospital everything was free including post op care. I had soft lens implants in both eyes with cataracts removed. The operating room was world class technology and the doctor is the best eye doctor I have met in Thailand. Further I have glaucoma and macular degeneration because of age. The schedule me to return to the eye clinic over 3 months to check the condition of my eyes. I pay 50 Baht for the doctors examination. Mind you there is always a big queue but I get there at 07:00. I f you are poliet and kind as a local rsident I don't thin you will ever be turned away. A friend just had a herna repaired at the government hospital with a private room for 2 days and they charged him 18,000 Baht. He does have his yellow book.

My private inusrance increased dramatically every 5 years. When I reached 75 they wanted 500 Baht per day to continue it. It is obvious that the insurance companies do not want to insure peope when they reach my age. The risk for the company is too high.

The new Obama Care does not cover people living overseas and they will not take the premium out of your social security check.

Many people tell me that they have government insurance in the British Islands and when they get sick they will go back there for treatment. Good luck if you can walk and have some one to take care of you there with room, board and transportation.

Health insurance in Thailand is a serious matter for us and you need to make arrangements one way or the other to get covered. If you ar over 60 you can forget buying a policy.

I agree friend, am 70 myself but still choose to live here and will die here , my choice f .....k the ins companies.

• Like 1

My wife works at the local hospital and I am covered under the civil servants health scheme. Tooth extractions - no charge, conjunctivitis - no charge and no charge for meds, all within the last couple of months. I am sure that I would have been informed by now if there had been any changes Over the course of several years I have involved myself in the social side of the hospital, parties, parades etc. It would probably come as no suprise that there are the same concerns over job security, pay, office politics as there are in the West. The thing is that an average Thai is not about to unload on you a foreigner. Especially if, like me, grasp of the language is a bit elusive.

As another American said, we ain't in Kansas anymore. Perhaps on a good day it can be better than that!

Could there be a difference in the civil servants health scheme for those whose wives work for the federal government to those who work for provincial governments. My wife is adamant that her boss told her that as of July 1 I am no longer covered.

Of course she won't go back and query him as GOD has spoken and he must not be challenged.

If I am still covered it now becomes a delicate matter as my medical invoices, in the past, went through him.

How can I circumvent him?

AnotherOneAmerican......

You definitely have a cynical outlook and attitude on things. I hate to break it to you, but in LOS things are NOT necessarily done the way they are/should be, back in the good ol' U.S. of A., i.e., putting it in writing and signing it. This particular issue was brought up again at a later date by both wife and son, with a person of "higher authority" and were told the same thing. I'm sorry if that offends you "American moralistic sensibilities", but you ain't in Kansas anymore, Toto. And, FYI, yes, I am American, and served for 20 years in USMC, with 18 of that in Recon/Force Recon. TIT - deal with it.

I disagree with you. People, especially Thais and the gutless farangs, have a quick willingness to say mai bpen rai. Even though everybody tends to ignore them, Thailand does have a very good set of laws and one can insist upon them. If you are being rejected verbally, you smile, continue sitting there and INSIST in the rejection in writing. They EITHER, cave in and process your forms, OR they give it to you in writing. If they are wrong, they cave in.

I have lived here over six years now (and am not interested in a TV contest over who has lived here the longest), speak a little Thai, am married to a Thai school teacher, and this method has worked very well for me 100% of the time. I NEVER accept a verbal refusal. I also don't yell and scream. I smile and politely continue to insist on some action -- and I get it.

Now, I'll grant you, a Thai person is unlikely to ever use this method as they are intimidated by authority (including my wife). Farangs (Americans that have balls, anyway) are not intimidated by authority, and if you are not intimidated, they back down. They key is to handle it in a manner so that nobody loses face.

After 20 years in the Marine Corps, I'm not a bit surprised that you take verbal orders easily; I don't.

By the way, I'm damned glad I ain't in Kansas anymore!

Edited by Ticketmaster
  • Like 1

I was asked what health insurance I was referring to when I wrote that I pay ฿10 000.- a year;

http://www.thaihealth.co.th/product_simply.php

but for some reason apparently no longer available in English. They have a good reputation and the guy told me that this would be good for the initial treatment of a serious only.

Go to the local hospital that looks ok to you and ask them which insurance they prefer to deal with..

Edited by cooked

I was asked what health insurance I was referring to when I wrote that I pay ฿10 000.- a year;

but for some reason apparently no longer available in English. They have a good reputation and the guy told me that this would be good for the initial treatment of a serious only.

Go to the local hospital that looks ok to you and ask them which insurance they prefer to deal with..

In examining the page referenced (google translate does a great job, for once) it appears that any plan that costs as low as 10,000 baht/year is either an out-patient-only plan or their low-end plan for people under age 60. And that plan has very low upper payout limits -- not enough to cover a hip replacement at Suan Dok government hospital here in Chiang Mai. Also notice how the cost of premiums increase with age -- it has the same "problem" as other plans, where coverage for people over age 75 costs almost four times the cost of an equivalent plan for someone under age 60.

For those of you who plan to live without health insurance, I hope you (or your family) can instantly round up as much 100,000 baht for the deposit usually requested by hospitals and that you have a few million baht squirreled away for those end-of-life hospitalizations. Ask yourself why insurance companies charge older people more -- it's because they consume more medical care!

• Like 1

Could there be a difference in the civil servants health scheme for those whose wives work for the federal government to those who work for provincial governments. My wife is adamant that her boss told her that as of July 1 I am no longer covered.

Of course she won't go back and query him as GOD has spoken and he must not be challenged.

If I am still covered it now becomes a delicate matter as my medical invoices, in the past, went through him.

How can I circumvent him?

Contact the hopital or the agency that carries out the health scheme for civil servants directly.

Or the government information line: 1111 Thai and English, they will connect you with the relevant agency.

To pick up where NancyL left off in #55 above, the reality is that not everyone has a few million baht squirreled away. It is very sobering to really understand how expensive medically the last few months of life can be. Ruinously so. And younger people with chronic illnesses requiring expensive extensive treatment are also extremely vulnerable.

There appear to be a lot of foreigners living in basic poverty here who are a burden to themselves, friends, and, increasingly, Thailand. No wonder that all the ministries now apparently have developed a consensus that foreigners must have health insurance, as recently reported in the news we can not quote on TV. Goodness only knows how that will turn out, but it does indicate that many in Thailand are getting fed up with so many foreigners with problems and few funds who land here.

Do people in such distressful circumstances belong in Thailand? My guess is that a huge proportion (not counting refugees from bordering countries) come from countries with social services to provide for them. A cynic might say that Thailand seems to have some sort of hospitality muse, mimicking the American Statue of Liberty: "Send me your aged, lame and lazy --- and a few losers and horny drunks, too --- and I will comfort them!"

Many answer that what individuals want to do is their business. Some disparage what they call the western "nanny countries." But what happens if they need a nanny here? And many do. Freedom of choice, independence, liberty to do what you please is all well and good, but isn't there also social responsibility, a responsibility to the group, as well?

Edited by Mapguy

In examining the page referenced (google translate does a great job, for once) it appears that any plan that costs as low as 10,000 baht/year is either an out-patient-only plan or their low-end plan for people under age 60. And that plan has very low upper payout limits -- not enough to cover a hip replacement at Suan Dok government hospital here in Chiang Mai. Also notice how the cost of premiums increase with age -- it has the same "problem" as other plans, where coverage for people over age 75 costs almost four times the cost of an equivalent plan for someone under age 60.

For those of you who plan to live without health insurance, I hope you (or your family) can instantly round up as much 100,000 baht for the deposit usually requested by hospitals and that you have a few million baht squirreled away for those end-of-life hospitalizations. Ask yourself why insurance companies charge older people more -- it's because they consume more medical care!

I'm sorry if I seem to be giving incorrect information. My insurance is certainly not only about out patient treatment, something may have changed since I got this cover in January. I didn't mention that I also self insure (not applicable when you get delivered to the hospital unconscious of course) and the possibility of going home as a Swiss citizen. My primary concern was to have an insurance that covers me for an initial reception at a hospital. But that is for another thread.

Someone mentioned earlier that one can not obtain health insurance in Thailand if over 60. Actually you can up to and excluding your 66th birthdate.

Actually, with LMG Pacific you can get coverage, up to age 65 inclusive: on the day you turn 66 you are on your own. Be sure your full medical (approx B5000) results are processed and sent to LMG in time for them to enrol you before the day of your 66th birthday. Cost is just over B20K for the LMG midrange coverage with no outpatient: This is basically similar to BUPA midrange coverage (BUPA is more expensive).

http://www.lmgpacific.com/

BUPA covers you for life provided you have had a continuous plan with them since age 60, otherwise no.

You can do your own cost/coverage comparisons.

Cheers, FWIW.

And no I am not an agent, just retired and having had to change provider once costs escalated. Which they will with age, unfortunately.

Additional post advising people over 60 to buy insurance is misleading as it can't be done. So the forum should try to come up with suggestions for people who not insured. The BS I hear so often is oh, when I get sick I will go home and the government will take care of me. This is a fools paradise as you may not be able to get home let alone home someone there to take care of you while you wait in a long queue for government coverage. Open your brain a little and prepare for you first stroke. By the way, a typical Thai funeral with Lao Khao and hog slopping is about 100,000 Baht so please deposit this for your graduation. No one wants to pay for saying good by to you. Don't tell us you don't have the money to pay for your own funeral.