Were & What to buy in Binoculars ?

Gone

Hello folks,

Does anyone here know where t buy decent Binoculars and what to look for in a good pair? I Just moved to a high rise and want to be able to look quite some distance. I have NO idea about strength etc. so if you know and know where to buy them here in Pattaya please let me know. I have seen all the ones they sell on beach rd. etc. but I have never seen a decent pair.

Thanks in advance.

In Central Festival, right in front of SuperSports, (at the top of the escalator on the 2nd floor?) there is a display/kiosk of a range of binoculars and telescopes.

Alternatively, you can try TMK Trading in Bangkok (http://www.tmktrading.co.th/) which carries all of the major brands of both.

There is a broad range of models, so it would be a bit difficult to answer your query about which ones to buy. We have a Bushnell 10x42 H2O (they are waterproof) and they serve us just fine. I am sure that the folks at TMK could answer questions and narrow your search for you.

I just found a site that gives some pretty good info on choosing binoculars: http://www.rei.com/learn/expert-advice/binoculars.html

Edited by WaywardWind
  • Like 1

As waywardwind says on the link he has given + the make and quality of the lens itself is very important. Cheap lens and make will deteriorate. The lens might get moisture inside or scratch easily. A lens cover can help prevent scratching - obviously. Some find it a nuisance to have to remove and lose seperate lens covers. Some binoc's have the covers that stay attached by a tag when removed from the lens.

Where? Not many places I have seen in Pattaya with good binoculars.

Thank you for all the help (and not such help) replies. I looked at those links thank you but unless they sell those models here I can only use the great info I got about powers etc. Thanks again. Sorry but I don't really need to go to Bkk just to buy these but thanks for the suggestion.

What do you want them for?

What are they usually used for? hmmmmm maybe seeing things that are far away making the object appear closer? Again, read my OP again a little slower this time thanks.

What do you want them for?

What are they usually used for? hmmmmm maybe seeing things that are far away making the object appear closer? Again, read my OP again a little slower this time thanks.

Good luck with your search. I suspect that it will be a lonely one.

There is one of those kiosk type things on the second floor of Big C Super Store (previously known as Carefour) on Pattaya Klang. It is located at the top of the escaclator that starts at the art store on the first floor.

I have not found a dedicated store in Pattaya for binoculars or spotting scopes so other than the same type of kiosk located at Central Festival this is the only other one I know of in Patts

You also might consider a spotting scope instead of binoculars

See this url for a discussion of binoculars and spotting scopes

http://www.yellowstone-bearman.com/spotting_scopes.html

Being a nice chap I'll ask one more time. What are you going to use them for?

Bird-watching - a pair of 8x40 or 8x42 would be good

Ship-watching - 7x50s

Star-watching - anything from a 10x50 to a 15x70.

You get a better stereoscopic effect with bins rather than spotting scopes which are usually larger and heavier for the same light gathering capacity.

if it's the absolute best you're after... then be prepared to pay 80k+ baht for the ferrari of optical excellence. smile.png

Swarovski.jpg

(the Goshawk withdraws to a quiet corner and squirms with envy & desire...)

if it's the absolute best you're after... then be prepared to pay 80k+ baht for the ferrari of optical excellence. smile.png

Swarovski.jpg

I want a Maserati tongue.png

How far is it possible to see with binoculars ?

For example is it possible to see the high Pattaya park restaurant on TAPPRAYA road (the highest tower) from JOMTIEN beach, lets say from SOI 15 where is Furama hotel and VIEW TALAY 8 condo ?

Thank you.

Being a nice chap I'll ask one more time. What are you going to use them for?

Ship-watching - 7x50s

Star-watching - anything from a 10x50 to a 15x70.

You get a better stereoscopic effect with bins rather than spotting scopes which are usually larger and heavier for the same light gathering capacity.

This is from my OP:

I Just moved to a high rise and want to be able to look quite some distance.

So I just want to look all around at the ocean, mountains etc.

There is one of those kiosk type things on the second floor of Big C Super Store (previously known as Carefour) on Pattaya Klang. It is located at the top of the escaclator that starts at the art store on the first floor.

I have not found a dedicated store in Pattaya for binoculars or spotting scopes so other than the same type of kiosk located at Central Festival this is the only other one I know of in Patts

You also might consider a spotting scope instead of binoculars

See this url for a discussion of binoculars and spotting scopes

http://www.yellowstone-bearman.com/spotting_scopes.html

Thank you and I will check it out. Great instructions btw.

Swarovski.jpg

I want a Maserati tongue.png

hmmmm, I think I will go with the VW bus.

Even if I did want the ferrari that you show, I don't think they are available in Pattaya.

All I want is a decent set for looking off of my balcony at the ocean boats, mountains etc. I'm on Sukhumvit Rd near Pattaya klang so the ocean is about 3 k away maybe? I can see Sriracha and Lam chabang port (I think it's called) so Im facing North East. Nice views of the Mountains and ocean but just want to do some general "looking".

I will check out the places people have mentioned today and thanks again folks.

Edited by Gone

Even if I did want the ferrari that you show, I don't think they are available in Pattaya.

All I want is a decent set for looking off of my balcony at the ocean boats, mountains etc. I'm on Sukhumvit Rd near Pattaya klang so the ocean is about 3 k away maybe? I can see Sriracha and Lam chabang port (I think it's called) so Im facing North East. Nice views of the Mountains and ocean but just want to do some general "looking".

I live in Naklua and as I said, I have a pair of Bushnell 10x42 binoculars. I just checked and I can read the Ripley's advertisement on the balloon which flies above Royal Garden - 4.34 kilometers from my residence. Sri Rach and Laem Chabang may be a bit far from your general location for any significant detail, depending on the type of optics you purchase and what level of detail you want.

One other consideration - higher power binoculars can be rather unsteady if simply hand holding them for any length of time; you may want to consider ones that have the capacity to accept a tripod.

I live in Naklua and as I said, I have a pair of Bushnell 10x42 binoculars. I just checked and I can read the Ripley's advertisement on the balloon which flies above Royal Garden - 4.34 kilometers from my residence. Sri Rach and Laem Chabang may be a bit far from your general location for any significant detail, depending on the type of optics you purchase and what level of detail you want.

One other consideration - higher power binoculars can be rather unsteady if simply hand holding them for any length of time; you may want to consider ones that have the capacity to accept a tripod.

Or buy one of these adaptors that will allow most binoculars to fit on a tripod

post-10942-0-89945200-1372689158_thumb.p

Thanks again. So did you buy these 10x42 at the place you mentioned in Central Festival? I will be going there today to have a look.

Thanks again. So did you buy these 10x42 at the place you mentioned in Central Festival? I will be going there today to have a look.

No, I bought them from Amazon in the US and had them shipped in to Kathmandu where I was residing at the time. There are a couple of Bushnell distributors in Thailand (Bangkok), but I have never followed up with them for anything. (http://www.bushnell.com/global/company/international-distributors)

At CF, the display is right outside the SuperSports store on the 2nd floor, right at the top of the escalator. I haven't stopped and looked at their wares, so I can't say if they are of quality.

WORST NIGHTMARE EVER !!!!!!!!!

Ok so first I went to Big-C Extra on Klang as suggested. The most expensive pair was 11,000 baht BUT the lady had no boxes, no instructions, no carry bag and knew nothing about them and some had bells and whistles that you would need instructions for (Night lights etc.)

GONE !!!!!!

Went to Central Festival to the place mentioned and bought a decent pair for 9,900 baht and a try-pod for 3000 baht but both at discount came to 10,000 baht. Good deal (you would think) if only you could try them out there and see something far away.

Got home, set it all up and went to look around....WELLLLLLL........ Wouldn't you know it....each nodular had it's own direction of looking and when you looked through the set, they each looked at different objects !!!!! There is NO adjustment for this. How do I know you may ask? Because when I tried to turn them around to focus on the same area the one side broke !!!!!!!!

What a waste of time and money !!!!!!! Yes I will TRY and return them tomorrow.

AND as an extra bonus I have to pick my license up after 3:00. Yeah yeah it was very hot out and waiting at the traffic light to turn right into Big-C the light was still red when 200 motorcycles started to turn and so did I BUT who did the police follow into the parking lot.......you guessed it....ME. The other 199 bikes got away with it of course.

WORST NIGHTMARE EVER !!!!!!!!!

Ok so first I went to Big-C Extra on Klang as suggested. The most expensive pair was 11,000 baht BUT the lady had no boxes, no instructions, no carry bag and knew nothing about them and some had bells and whistles that you would need instructions for (Night lights etc.)

GONE !!!!!!

Went to Central Festival to the place mentioned and bought a decent pair for 9,900 baht and a try-pod for 3000 baht but both at discount came to 10,000 baht. Good deal (you would think) if only you could try them out there and see something far away.

Got home, set it all up and went to look around....WELLLLLLL........ Wouldn't you know it....each nodular had it's own direction of looking and when you looked through the set, they each looked at different objects !!!!! There is NO adjustment for this. How do I know you may ask? Because when I tried to turn them around to focus on the same area the one side broke !!!!!!!!

What a waste of time and money !!!!!!! Yes I will TRY and return them tomorrow.

AND as an extra bonus I have to pick my license up after 3:00. Yeah yeah it was very hot out and waiting at the traffic light to turn right into Big-C the light was still red when 200 motorcycles started to turn and so did I BUT who did the police follow into the parking lot.......you guessed it....ME. The other 199 bikes got away with it of course.

Here's a bit of buying advice:

Focus - The focus wheel in the centre of the binoculars should move well. It should be neither too tight nor too loose. Check the wheel feels 'slick'. Now wind the focus wheel until the eyepieces are furthest from the binocular body and while holding the body try to gently push the eyepieces back towards the body with your thumbs. There should be no movement.
Flex - Binoculars flex along their central pin to set the distance between the eyepieces for your eyes. Try flexing the binoculars back and forth a few times. The movement should stay quite stiff. If its loose reject them and try another pair.
Optics - Look down the objective lens (the big one at the front) of both sides at about arms length distance. You should see no obstructions and the view should show a perfect circle with no obvious flat surfaces.
Overall - Check the fit and finish, adjust the binoculars for your eyes and take a look at something in the distance. How does the view look ? Does it come to focus ? If you cant focus or the binoculars show a tendency to create a kind of double vision/boss eyed feeling then reject them and try another pair.
Edited by sustento