Visa extension for retirement - Roi Et

I have had several visa extension based on retirement in Samut Prakarn and Chon Buri but have now moved to Roi Et. My visa expires in about 4 months. My bank is in Rasi Salai, Si Sa Ket. I'm told I have to go to Amnat Charoen for my visa although Si Sa Ket would be more convenient as I am only 80 kiloos away whereas Amnat is probably 150.

Anyway if I have to go to Amnat because I live in Roi Et is there a Bangkok Bank there which can give me the required letter etc.

Thanks for any help Mike

I'll be going into Amnat Immigration in two weeks for my first retirement extension . I've stopped and talked to them on three different occasions and got the impression that all that would be required would be an income letter from my embassy (I asked directly and that is what they listed as necessary). I'm an American FWTW. Very pleasant officers, speak and understand English. I'll bookmark this thread and let you know what happens. As far as the Bangkok Bank location, there is one right on the corner of the main intersection of the city. ...also a branch in Big C heading toward Mukdahan going north. Don't know about their ability or willingness to write a letter attesting to your bank particulars from another city. But hey, it's all on computers, right?

JH

Thanks for the reply. Will be going about the 12th of October so no urgency. The Bangkok Banks were my main concern because I've heard immigration want the letter the same day. For me this would mean a trip to Rasi Salai and then to Yasothon and Amnat. I'll do my visa this year with 800,000 in the bank but probably next year use a part of my pensions and part in the bank.

Regards Mike

You will have to go to Amnat as this is the Imm' office for all farangs living in Roi Et Province.

Previously you would have had to travel to Mukdahan so be thankful for a slightly shorter trip although they did experiment with a session in Roi Et city itself for a short while but that was soon knocked on the head.

As mentioned already there is a Bangkok Bank at the main junction in Amnat with the 202 but I would definitely get a letter from your own branch and not any other, if you need a proof of income letter from your embassy, then some (e.g UK) can do this by post, see the website for details.

I always take extra copies, usually 3, of every piece of paperwork, although there is a photocopy facility in the main building at Amnat. Sometimes they will do it for you in the Imm' office if they are in a good mood.

One further thing, when heading North on the 212 towards Mukdahan after the junction with the 202 the entrance to the Imm' office is opposite the Mitsuibishi garage, there is also a sign now in English.

The Imm' office is directly behind the main bukiding you can see in front of you as you turn off the 212, on the first floor, entrance on the right.

Even if you could use Sisaket immigration it might not be all that close because the office is located at Phu Sing close to the Cambodia border.

For some time now we have had the Sisaket Immigration service operating from their district office in Sisaket town - located on the 226 ring road and open Mon-Fri every week.

I'll be going into Amnat Immigration in two weeks for my first retirement extension . I've stopped and talked to them on three different occasions and got the impression that all that would be required would be an income letter from my embassy (I asked directly and that is what they listed as necessary). I'm an American FWTW. Very pleasant officers, speak and understand English. I'll bookmark this thread and let you know what happens. As far as the Bangkok Bank location, there is one right on the corner of the main intersection of the city. ...also a branch in Big C heading toward Mukdahan going north. Don't know about their ability or willingness to write a letter attesting to your bank particulars from another city. But hey, it's all on computers, right?

If you are an American citizen do you DO NOT need a letter from any bank or money in your account, just a statement from the Embassy saying that you make at least $2,500 US/month not older than 15 days before your immigration appointment. At the Embassy you DO NOT need to show ANY income documentation, just sign the statement on the Embassy form. This requirement is only valid to AMERICAN citizens. Other nationalities may need bank letters, etc....you DO NOT. The immigration officer will ask you for a prove of residence, a rent contract or a bill with your name on, a copy of ALL pages of your passport and the entry card, plus 1,900 THB. Just that. You can do all this at the immigration office of your province residence up to one month before the visa due date. Bring all the documents copies and your appointment will run smoothly and faster. I am your fellow American, originally from Brazil, happily retired in Thailand since 2010. Welcome to this wonderful country!...but we aware about Thai women looking in get your retirement money. Have fun but be smart! Take your time before making any commitment or investment.

That is an alternative to showing money in the bank and requires traveling to a US-consulate.

With this income option immigration can still ask to see additional proof of income, as they know the US doesn't require proof. And ocassionally immigration indeed asks for proof.

This is not just for Americans - all nationalities can use the embassy letter method for extension for retirement - letters from bank are only required if using bank or combination methods. The current permitted time for letter is within the previous six months - not 15 days.

This is not just for Americans - all nationalities can use the embassy letter method for extension for retirement - letters from bank are only required if using bank or combination methods. The current permitted time for letter is within the previous six months - not 15 days.

With regard to the length of time for your letter as Lopburi says it is not 15 days. There is another thread on getting visas with proof of income and one poster kindly attached a copy of the letter in Thai and English which was sent to the offices.

Trouble is can't remember the thread you would have to look.

It could be handy if any offices have not seen this which is why it was posted.

Even if you could use Sisaket immigration it might not be all that close because the office is located at Phu Sing close to the Cambodia border.

For some time now we have had the Sisaket Immigration service operating from their district office in Sisaket town - located on the 226 ring road and open Mon-Fri every week.

Thanks for this reply. I live in Amphur Pon Sai in Roi Et , about 10 k from the Si Sa Ket border. My daughter spent 6 years in boarding school at Si Sa Ket so I am familiar with the town. It would much more convenient for m to go there (80 k) than Amnat (120k??) . The problem I have is that I'm told I have to go to Amnat because I live in Roi Et.

You have to go to the immigration office for your area.

The difference between the nearest and the designated immigration office is for me about 120 km, one way.

Thanks Mario. Not the answer I wanted to hear, but now everything is clear. And thanks to everyone who has replied.

Cheers Mike

Many thanks to everybody on this.

Andy Isaan from Suwannaphum , I think I may have met you a few years ago in the town whn you were taking your daughter to the doctor.

Regards Mike

Mike, you may have done I've been here for 5 years this month, good luck with your visa app' cheers Andy

Many thanks for the replies

Have one more question about the 90 day report. Have heard some offices will take it by post and others won't. Some say you can do it at any Immigration office and as I said before SI Sa Ket is my most convenient. It's not a big problem as I can speak to them in Amnat when I go.

Cheers Mike

Many thanks for the replies

Have one more question about the 90 day report. Have heard some offices will take it by post and others won't. Some say you can do it at any Immigration office and as I said before SI Sa Ket is my most convenient. It's not a big problem as I can speak to them in Amnat when I go.

Cheers Mike

A friend in Chiang Mai tells me he doesn't do it himself, his Thai partner does it for him but can do by post. Have to fill in a form or something. I think though you have to use the office where you live but stand to be corrected if I am wrong.

The last info that I recall is that they were only in Sisaket one or two days a week. And of course immigration website does not have info for an office there.

• 3 weeks later...

I just went to Amnatcharoen immigration this past Thursday. As an American I was only required to present the original income letter from the American Embassy. Don't know about other nationalities.

Additional things to have to present:

1. Only ONE copy of everything is required. Photo, passport pages, tm7, etc.

2. If you are renting:

A. you need ONE copy of lease agreement WITH tax stamps attached. For my 3,500 baht /mo that was 45baht in stamps. If you don't already

have on lease get from local tax office beforehand.

B. you need one copy of the house book for the house that you are renting

C. you need one copy of the ID card of your landlord

D. you one copy of the house book for the landlord (be sure you have your landlord sign these copies)

3. You need the original of a medical certificate. Get at your favorite clinic. 40-100 baht max. For mine I didn't even see the Doctor. His receptionist filled out the form. 40 baht-Thank you very much.

4. Originals to be given to Immigration: Medical cert., TM-7(download from internet and fill out), Income letter from Embassy. One copy of everything else.

Don't worry about rushing to get there before the crowd in the morning. ...there is no crowd. I was the only person there at 11 am and the only one at 1 pm when I returned with my landlord's stuff. Luckily I live only 500 meters away.

Very friendly and helpful officers. If I had had the landlord info I would have been in and out in 15-20 minutes. Smiles all around, 1900 baht not even a hint of any need for more.

Hope this helps,

James

Edited by JamesHawkins

Actually there is a list on the Thai immigration website including things like TB. But like I said for me it was just a stop at a local clinic. It has always been something like this for my work permits when I was teaching as well. A formality that is taken care more often than not by a nurse or receptionist filling out the form with your particulars, collecting a small fee and sending you on your way.

Can you please provide a link to that list on Immigration web site. AFAIK medical reports are required for Non immigrant O-A visa from a Consulate and for work permits but are not normally required by immigration extensions for at least a decade (other then a few local exceptions).

A medical certificate is not required for retirement extensions.

The only place on immigration website that has a link medical certificate is this one http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/doc/residence/form_doctor_certify.pdf which is only required for permanent residency application.

Edited by ubonjoe

My experience at Savannakhet was no medical certificate necessary for my first 90 day o visa and then at Amnat I was asked to provide one. Like I said, no exam was done and as far as work permit extensions in the past (12 years of them) it was ignored some years and asked for at other years even at the same offices. I guess it depends on who is in charge at that particular time. The ministerial regulation, as I'm sure you know is No. 14 from B.E. 2535, some 21 years ago and I guess it can still be drug up on occasion. Didn't bookmark the page but made note of it simply because they had told me it would be needed when I went to talk with them to make sure I would have everything required when I returned for the extension. I listed it because it was required at Amnat. My report is only good for that office and I didn't mean to imply it was necessary at any other office I haven't had experience at.

EDIT: I guess I could have argued the point with them but that doesn't seem like a worthwhile action. Again- it was asked for at Amnat, that's all I can say. For 40-100 baht I guess it would be wise to bring one.

Edited by JamesHawkins

No embassy or consulate will ask for a medical certificate for a non-o visa it is only required for a OA visa.

The ministerial regulation you mention is for the what is needed for the medical certificate to be issued.

Extensions of stay requirements are from police order 777/2551 which does not require a medical certificate for any type of extension.

I was certainly not asked for a medical certificate as part of my latest retirement extension at Rayong Immigration last week, nor even proof of address. All I had to provide was a completed TM7 + original passport & copies (& the 1,900 THB fee).