Thailand's DSI identifies burned BMW

webfact

DSI identifies burned BMW
The Nation

30209501-01_big.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Reporting progress on its probe into a tax-evasion scam, the Department of Special Investigation says it now knows the engine number of a BMW X6, one of six supercars burned in a blaze on May 29 while being transported in Nakhon Ratchasima's Pak Chong district.

Pol Lieutenant Korawat Panprapakorn, the DSI's regional special-case chief, said the Central Institute of Forensic Science had retrieved the engine registration number, leaving police confident they would be able trace the criminal network used by the car-smugglers.

Initial DSI investigations found that one car among the six burned vehicles contained Mercedes engine parts but had been reassembled as a Ferrari in order to gain a false registration. The institute has yet to identify the real engine numbers of two Bentley cars, one Mercedes and one Lamborghini.

Korawat said that in the past two weeks, 176 car owners had submitted their vehicles to check their authenticity.

The voluntary checks would continue, but at some stage owners would be summoned to get their cars checked, he added.

Korawat said police suspect that a wide network of people was behind the supercar smuggling, with garage-owner Thanathat Khunnut the first suspect to have turned himself in.

The six burned supercars were on their way to be registered in Si Sa Ket.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-07-02

Initial DSI investigations found that one car among the six burned vehicles contained Mercedes engine parts but had been reassembled as a Ferrari in order to gain a false registration

<deleted>...I know that sometimes things get lost in translation but that just doesn't make sense at all...who would want a Ferrari with Merc engine parts w00t.gif

Edit...beat me to it Konfuzed thumbsup.gif

Edited by Neilly
  • Like 1

Initial DSI investigations found that one car among the six burned vehicles contained Mercedes engine parts but had been reassembled as a Ferrari in order to gain a false registration

<deleted>...I know that sometimes things get lost in translation but that just doesn't make sense at all...who would want a Ferrari with Merc engine parts w00t.gif

whistling.gifclap2.gifcheesy.gif

I have said it before, but should the DSI not be investigating customs officials?

None of this could be happening without the collusion of customs officials.

Who in customs signed off on any of these imports?

Investigate their supervisors, all the way to the top.

Follow the money. Which customs officials are unusually wealthy?

But this is Thailand, so you cannot implicate anyone of any importance. A few low level scapegoats will be charged, then silence and all will be forgotten, and the good life will continue for the blessed few.

• Like 2

"contained Mercedes engine parts but had been reassembled as a Ferrari"

Either this is bad writing or we need to hire the magician. Ok take this Lada and reassemble it as an Audi!

A bit of a laugh admittedly. The foreman of the garage that I use showed off the boss's new BMW. When he lifted the bonnet it had a Nissan engine fitted! All is vanity.

Man this investigation is simply flying along !!!!! After a few weeks they

have only an engine number ?? I can see the orders from up high ...."Sargent

Sombat, go slow on this case."

Yes - Sargent, and you sure my Benz is well hidden around the back of the station, make double sure they don't get their thieving dirty little hands on my car!

And whilst your at it, make sure they don't look at Yingluck Shinawatra's collection of cars, she'd have me skinned alive if she lost her Bentley!

Edited by newermonkey

The declared complicated part of this so called investigation, is the individual who is in charge of the investigation. The DSI is attempting to look busy while they overlook what is oblivious to the rest of the country.

Next month, can we expect to find that the serial number matches a truck chassis which came thru China from a factory in PNG? Maybe we can have the Customs and DSI official lined up pointing at a copy of the various laws which are the reason, these basically honest people are circumventing them.

"contained Mercedes engine parts but had been reassembled as a Ferrari"

Either this is bad writing or we need to hire the magician. Ok take this Lada and reassemble it as an Audi!

Yeah , I had trouble with this ,as I have with the DSI at the best of times.

if you put a AMG engine in the Ferrari, you dont need go to workshop every year, and after a day on a track , no need for service )) Maybe it was Mercedes Airfilter .. amazing Thailand

I have said it before, but should the DSI not be investigating customs officials?

None of this could be happening without the collusion of customs officials.

Who in customs signed off on any of these imports?

Investigate their supervisors, all the way to the top.

Follow the money. Which customs officials are unusually wealthy?

But this is Thailand, so you cannot implicate anyone of any importance. A few low level scapegoats will be charged, then silence and all will be forgotten, and the good life will continue for the blessed few.

You could not investigate customs officials, that would change Thailand as we know it today!!!!!!! whistling.gif

The only numbers of real importance are VIN's and there are no mention of them.

YESS , was woundering about that .. VIN numbers are what rest of world use to track a car, and the VIN number are 2 places for easy find , and some hidden places also , and is welded in as part of the car. and cant be changed without see its changed