Cheap rental car in Samui for 2.5 months?

My family and I will be in Samui for 2.5 months from April 1 until mid-June next year. Since we're staying in a relatively remote area (west coast), we want to rent a small car for the whole period. So far I've tried:

http://www.samuinewcarrent.com

http://www.economycarrentals.com

http://www.autoeurope.com

http://www.budget.co.th

and the best I've come up with is around €540 per month (around THB 21,000) or €1350 for the 2.5 months. This seems rather steep. I wonder if anyone knows a better place to get a long-term car rental. This topic has come up in this forum a few times over the last few years, but the answers were never satisfying. Maybe the situation has changed though...

If you have something to recommend, please keep in mind the following:

1) We need a compact car, NOT a Suzuki Caribian. We have a two-year old daughter, and the Caribians don't have seatbelts in the back

2) Basic insurance coverage is OK, as long as the deductible for the collision-damage is not way above the more-or-less standard THB 5000

3) Please don't suggest buying a car and selling it at the end of the trip. I don't want ANY hassle. I just want to rent a car.

Sixt in Samui gave me the best quote with insurance for the car. But to be honest the major companies will all be more expensive than the local mom and dad rental shops. Though you don't know if they have insurance and I've heard of some scams where they "steal" the car back and force you to pay steep deductibles.

Maybe try finding a private person and have him lend you his car for a fee.

avis will be the best more than probably.

Yeah, I tried that one, and it comes up with a price of 0. Yes, zero!. So apparently, their website isn't working. I emailed them a couple of days ago for a quote, but I think the chance of getting a reply is the same as that price their website quoted...

What price do you think I should expect for 2.5 months?

Sixt in Samui gave me the best quote with insurance for the car. But to be honest the major companies will all be more expensive than the local mom and dad rental shops. Though you don't know if they have insurance and I've heard of some scams where they "steal" the car back and force you to pay steep deductibles.

Maybe try finding a private person and have him lend you his car for a fee.

I'm happy to go with a non-major company, as long as it's been in business for a while and has a good reputation. For example, in Phuket I've had very good experience with andamancarrent.com, and some others as well.

Can you recommend a small local company? At least one that's really in the car rental business, and not some guy renting out 1 car. I did try samuinewcarrent, and they were expensive (24,000 baht for 2.5 months)

I rented once from a lady near the Bangkok hospital. Sorry I don't know the name or contact information as it was two years back. I was referred there by a friend who rented long term. Think I rented a yaris for like 15k three weeks. Not super cheap but much cheaper than other places.

It's like across from the hospital and 300 - 400 m from the gas station. You can try them. She was very nice and rents out several cars.

This time I'm going with sixt because I want a better car. Those 1.5L cars kind of suck if you drive up hills with several people in them.

Sixt quotes 40,000 baht for 74 days, that's 540 baht per day incl. VAT. Deductible is 8000 baht, which is a bit on the high side. Not bad...

Problem is, they charge 400 baht per day for a child seat, so that almost doubles the cost of the rental!! That's about €750 for renting a child seat for 2.5 months. HAHAHA!

There's got to be a better way to rent a child seat in Samui.... I really don't want to haul that with me from Germany ...

Remember it will be songkran for a week in April so most car hire firms will be looking to cash in for the week .

If you can get vios for around 20 k a month take it , as I doubt you will find cheaper

Sent from my iPhone 6

using ThaiVisa app

I pass that car rental opposite Bangkok Hospital every day.

I'll note the phone number for you tomorrow.

Also, Ohm cycles may also have car rental as well.

Thank you, I look forward to hearing from you re. phone number.

I contact Ohm ... let's see what they have...

James Travel in Hinta Hinyai - Khun Chai or his wife Khun Tuk, contact 081 7374 395. They have a wide range of different vehicles, been established for many years. Not sure about price though as we rented a jeep from them not a car.

Edited by Dukgae

So after emailing with Sixt a few times back and forth, they're offering a child seat for THB 1600 for the 74 days. So that's THB 41600 for the car with child seat for 74 days .... I think that's pretty tough to beat in a touristy place like Samui. Still waiting to hear back from Avis, but they haven't been responsive so far, and their website isn't working.

Given that a couple of the local places I've contacted (like samuinewcarrent) were all more expensive by around 50%, I think I'll stick with Sixt. I've also had bad experiences with small companies' child seats in the past. They were totally beaten up and filthy. Hopefully, Sixt will have something better in stock ....

Thanks for everyone's help!

So after emailing with Sixt a few times back and forth, they're offering a child seat for THB 1600 for the 74 days. So that's THB 41600 for the car with child seat for 74 days .... I think that's pretty tough to beat in a touristy place like Samui. Still waiting to hear back from Avis, but they haven't been responsive so far, and their website isn't working.

Given that a couple of the local places I've contacted (like samuinewcarrent) were all more expensive by around 50%, I think I'll stick with Sixt. I've also had bad experiences with small companies' child seats in the past. They were totally beaten up and filthy. Hopefully, Sixt will have something better in stock ....

Thanks for everyone's help!

562 thb per day , good deal

Sent from my iPhone 6

using ThaiVisa app

Alternatively you could rent in Bangkok. Much more availability, so probabably better deals possible. Then drive to Samui. Will also save you on 3? return tickets Bkk-Samui, valued at around 28.000 baht with Bangkok airways.

Alternatively you could rent in Bangkok. Much more availability, so probabably better deals possible. Then drive to Samui. Will also save you on 3? return tickets Bkk-Samui, valued at around 28.000 baht with Bangkok airways.

An interesting thought. I doubt that renting a car in BKK would be that much cheaper than the deal Sixt is offering (40,000 for 74 days).

According to Google Maps, driving from BKK to Donsak is about 700km. Google says it would take 8 hours, I think that's optimistic, since it assumes an average speed of almost 90 km/h. I've never driven that route, but I have driven from BKK to Chiang Mai before, and I think getting an average speed of 70km/h is pretty good, and that would make it 10 hours. The last car ferry leaves Donsak at 7pm. To allow for lunch and traffic, we would have to leave BKK no later than 7am, probably rather 6am. And 10 hours in the car with a toddler, I don't know ...

But I'll keep it in mind

An interesting thought. I doubt that renting a car in BKK would be that much cheaper than the deal Sixt is offering (40,000 for 74 days).

According to Google Maps, driving from BKK to Donsak is about 700km. Google says it would take 8 hours, I think that's optimistic, since it assumes an average speed of almost 90 km/h. I've never driven that route, but I have driven from BKK to Chiang Mai before, and I think getting an average speed of 70km/h is pretty good, and that would make it 10 hours. The last car ferry leaves Donsak at 7pm. To allow for lunch and traffic, we would have to leave BKK no later than 7am, probably rather 6am. And 10 hours in the car with a toddler, I don't know ...

But I'll keep it in mind

8 hours is possible, but really pushing it. The first bit from the airport past Bangkok is the worst. After that its pretty quiet all the way and averaging 100/hr there is doable. But with a kid I wouldn't do it. Just make the drive part of the holiday, and make 1 or more stopovers and take advantage of being on the mainland. Chumphon offers cheap and nice places on the beach and a although a little out of the way, Khao Sok / Ratchaprapa Dam makes a very worthwhile visit.

• Like 1

avis website can"t give quotation more than six months in advance however a rental for a vios will be 38k without the CWD.

So if I choose 74 days from Sep 1 until mid-November, I get 51,800 with CDW and VAT.

Sixt is 39,590 with LDW. Doesn't LDW include CDW? Sixt offers a special ECDW (=Extra CDW), which, if added, brings the total to 55,400 baht.

This is a bit confusing now. Is the ECDW meant to bring the deductible to zero?

If this is correct, then Sixt is a much better deal than AVIS - it's about the same price WITH CDW as Avis is WITHOUT...

It's not a fun drive honestly to save a few baht. Plus you would likely have to drive back at the end. Not exactly the best way to end a vacation. Around 500 baht is a good deal for insured car with big company.

Most of the larger companies would let you do a one way hire for that period. When my friends drove from Bangkok, the one way hire was free if rented for more than 5 days.

Have a look at renting through Fast Car rentals from the UK (you can do it online). I have a Honda Jazz from Hertz that costs me Bt20,000 a month with zero excess. Am about to lease from Avis same car at just Bt15,000 a month