Does TVF ever affect your mood?

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally since joining this forum i have been confirmed on many previous thoughts/opinions about LOS which i had forgotten about. I can read through the constant negativity or exageratingly positive comments of regular posters. I consider this website as a good source of information and i read topics which are of interest for me. Depending on my mood of the day !!

Yes this a very depressing forum. I think there are many people here suffering from depression with a few beers thrown in the mix. Chronic negative thinking is a symptom of depression. However the level of negativity does seem to be related to the topic of the thread. Positive threads like healthy eating and organic farming attract positive people and positive comments.

The first PM I received on this forum was a warning I would die in Thailand.

I am sure the person felt they were being helpful and doing me a favor.

So try not to get dragged down by all the negative people going on about horrible news stories or the chronic Thai bashing. Don't contribute to it.

Not a chance in the world!

Sometimes I get annoyed by some posts.

Sometimes I get involved in an argument.

I can be acidic, caustic, sarcastic or ironic in my comments.

Sometimes I get rude 'insulting' remarks.

These I ignore as coming from people who do not know better ways.

TV may be entertaining sometimes, but never ever can change my mood! coffee1.gif

Edited by metisdead
Unnecessary usage of bold font reset to normal.
  • Like 1

Have to agree with the OP,it's one of the most depressing forums I've ever seen in my life!

If you believe that, then why do you read it? I liken it to alcohol addiction. If it affects you too much & you have the fortitude to give up, then switch it off for a while. If you cannot do that then you are addicted and need help.

Sometimes I like it (but just skim the comments) some times I get mad at myself for wasting time & switch off.

Have to agree with the OP,it's one of the most depressing forums I've ever seen in my life!

If you believe that, then why do you read it? I liken it to alcohol addiction. If it affects you too much & you have the fortitude to give up, then switch it off for a while. If you cannot do that then you are addicted and need help.

Sometimes I like it (but just skim the comments) some times I get mad at myself for wasting time & switch off.

It's like watching a motorway pile-up?

• Like 1

Let me check ... yes. coffee1.gif

Potentially positively and potentially negatively. It all depends.

Lots of stuff happens here and some of it can have meaning in the real world, such as when you give or get useful practical advice either about visas or actual practical stuff about living in Thailand (like plumbing for example).

• Like 2

As long as you do not take things personally and switch from one forum to another it's great fun.

I am always guaranteed a laugh before heading home after work. The latest news keeps me up to date and the issues that come up with expatriates and the locals is wondrous in itself.

I must admit there are a few stirrers but that's life. Today reading about Chalerm is enough to crack anybody up. He will arrive at 9am at the Labour office but what time will he leave for his other urgent calls.

I was wondering if Thaivisa actually had merchandise for sale like T-shirts. Good way to travel around the place and "Oh! are you a reader or a poster on TV?"

• Like 1

Ilove ThaiVisa. I have learnt so much about immigration,banking and the Thai way of life. Do not forget most Ex-pats came here with the Land of smiles expectation waving an olive branch only to be disappointed. It is difficult to be optomistic if you have been cheated out of money at a night market,ripped off by a Tuk-tuk driver then get back to your Condo or hotel to see a receptionist with a face like a bag of hammers.

It is frustration and ThaiVisa is an outlet for that frustration. Thank you ThaiVisa! Keep up the great work.

• Like 1

Reading TVM confirms my thinking there are still some people with common sense. It also confirms my thinking there are quite a few folks a few pence short of a pound.

to see a receptionist with a face like a bag of hammers.

I'm curious what you mean by "a face like a bag of hammers". What an image.

To the OP, yes it affects my mood, sometimes pisses me off, sometimes makes me depressed, but I keep coming back to the site, just like I have kept coming back to the country, over the past couple of years. As Ken Kesey put it, "take what you can use, and let the rest pass you by."

When I first joined 6 yrs ago (?) I thought it was dismal. Full of really sad grumpy bas-:;s. I once went to one of the annual party's in CM..... OMG!

Now there seems a better bunch and I enjoy exchanging views and civilised discussions. I have been a lot more active recently as the self build project nears completion. Without doubt TV has a truly excellent knowledge base and I learn something new nearly every day. So for me that's good!

• Like 1

I totally agree with Wavefloater. I'm often reluctant to comment or give suggestions because of all the cynical smart alecs who colonise this ThaiVisa forum. Then I see other forums of newspapers and I see even more silly, insulting abuse (the 'Daily Telegraph' of London is one of the worst). Would people make such comments if they were face to face? I doubt it.

I'm not saying I'm not guilty myself, by the way: I've posted some cynical, smart alec posts myself.

Anyway, just to applaud Wavefloater for a decent attitude, and I hope it takes root.

• Like 1

Yes I agree, I stopped reading the comments on this site a long time ago (This one priced up my ears though). I love to get the news updates and check visa information which is really great here. However i cant stand the bickering/general negativity/fear mongering/insulting/etc, in the comments.

I've lived in Bangkok for more than two years now and have nothing negative to say. I really love the place.

• Like 1

Yes I agree, I stopped reading the comments on this site a long time ago (This one priced up my ears though). I love to get the news updates and check visa information which is really great here. However i cant stand the bickering/general negativity/fear mongering/insulting/etc, in the comments.

I've lived in Bangkok for more than two years now and have nothing negative to say. I really love the place.

How much for your ears?

Don't you think your post is negative too? (Apart from the cuddly,warm feeling you portray about BKK)

• Like 1

Not really. But it's also kind of like six of one and a half dozen of the other. Sometimes there are too many angry, negative comments (which is unfortunate) but there are also a lot of balanced, intelligent and even entertaining perspectives (which is fortunate). Don't let the former bother you and draw value from the latter. Like most things, it is what it is.

Edited by marell

When I first joined 6 yrs ago (?) I thought it was dismal. Full of really sad grumpy bas-:;s. I once went to one of the annual party's in CM..... OMG!

Now there seems a better bunch and I enjoy exchanging views and civilised discussions. I have been a lot more active recently as the self build project nears completion. Without doubt TV has a truly excellent knowledge base and I learn something new nearly every day. So for me that's good!

i only read your posts cos i love your avatar,,,its fab honey,,,,,,,thumbsup.gif

if you take it too seriously ,,your unbalanced i fear,,,im sure every country has a forum similar except north korea,,i wouldnt dare say anything bad about the new great leader,,fat bstard,,,hahahahaha,,dont call me cynical,,,,biggrin.png ,,,,,it does however provide me with great information though,,so keep calm and carry on,,,happy 4th to you americans on here,,,,,,