Pattaya police under investigation for ‘mystery gunshot’ that wounded two checkpoint runners

Rimmer

Pattaya police under investigation for ‘mystery gunshot’ that wounded two checkpoint runners

n11checkpoint.jpg

PATTAYA:--Pattaya Police and station volunteers are under investigation for the near-fatal shooting of two men who opened fire on an officer pursuing them for evading a South Pattaya checkpoint.

A “mystery gunshot” was being blamed for injuries to Hemrat Saworn, 25, and Chokchai Homsombut, 32, during a June 25 police pursuit that ended on Third Road near the Szechuan restaurant. At least one shot was responsible for covering the inside of the truck’s cab with blood.

Maj. Gen. Khatcha Thatsart, commander of Chonburi Police Station, ordered officers and police volunteers involved in the chase detained and checked for gunshot residue to determine who fired at the suspects instead of the Toyota’s tires.

Full story:http://www.pattayamail.com/localnews/pattaya-police-under-investigation-for-mystery-gunshot-that-wounded-two-checkpoint-runners-27898

pattayamaillogo.png
-- Pattaya Mail 2013-07-05 footer_n.gif

Apart from them shooting at the police, seems had they not stopped them with driving like that somebody would have been killed, when they find the officer I hope they give him a medal.

In this case i think its justified. I mean if it was just not stopping it would be overkill but they were shooting and putting others in danger.

• Like 1

Actually, any shooting in the city is dangerous, shooting at tires or in the air. No one has control as to where the bullets will go. I think the police have seen too many movies. Since their training is just about zero, there is not much chance in them hitting the target.

BUT, on the other hand, if some is shooting at the police, they cant expect not to get a bit of return fire. Seems that everyone is carrying a gun, and dont hesitate to shoot at the police, a very sick situation.

• Like 1

At first I thought the incident happened on June 25th and the did the tests last week as it was reported on friday, but now I realise that Pattaya Mail is a weekly publication, but I assume that it was too late for Friday June 29 edition. whistling.gif

Testing for residue seems a bit of a dumb thing because anyone could say they had been target shooting before their shift.

The problem is Thailand's Police force is really a cross between the Keystone Kops and a Mickey Mouse outfit, with police having their own personal weapons and ammo, here in the UK, police draw weapons and ammo from an police armory and have to return them before going off duty and have to account for every bullet, there would be no question as to who fired.

If the police were firing shots from a moving vehicle (giving chase) then the accuracy of the shots are going to be affected. One bump in the road is all it takes.

To stop a fleeing suspect, shooting at the tyres is extreme to say the least. If the shots were fired in self defence, then that is another issue.

What are the rules of engagement in force for the BiB? In response to themselves or others being put at risk of death by the actions of others, ie, someone shooting at them?